• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A bar in St Jean

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
I need St Jean officianados to suggest a venue suitable for after dinner drinkies.

DeadFred's most excellent idea in creating a September departure calendar thread 'September 2014 Peregrinos' has enabled many of us to become acquainted with, and sometimes contact, those who will be starting their Camino on the same day.
A fellowship has developed and I think it would be opportune to suggest meeting for a drink after dinner, the night prior to leaving. I'd suggest between say 8 and 9pm to avoid clashing with dinner and 'lights out' at Alberges.
Here would occaision the opportunity to toast each others good health, with perhaps our first taste of Pacharan, that sloe-flavoured liquer commonly drunk in Navarre and the rest of the Basque Country.
I feel sure this will ensure a good nights sleep prior to departure.

Sound like a tradition worth promulgating?
Venue suggestions please.
Regds
Gerard

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Excellent suggestion Pat (and super idea Gerard). My pal John and I had our evening meal here on the night before we left St Jean for Santiago in 2012: exactly 2 years to the day tomorrow :):) Thanks for bringing back that wonderful memory.

Take care, be safe.

S.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm not one for celebrating the night before a strenuous activity. In this case, even if I decide to thru walk to Roncesvalles, and some of my fellow pilgrims will overnight at Orisson. This appears a better time to stop, sit on the deck and share a libation with my new friends. Those remaining can have a pint more, or two and have plenty of time to sleep and begin the next day. Going on, I will work off the calories and arrive at the monastery, check in and have a libation, or two;) before Mass in company with my old and now new friends.

I need St Jean officianados to suggest a venue suitable for after dinner drinkies.

DeadFred's most excellent idea in creating a September departure calendar thread 'September 2014 Peregrinos'
has enabled many of us to see and sometimes contact those who will be starting their Camino on the same day.
A fellowship has developed and I think it would be opportune to suggest meeting for a drink after dinner, the night prior to leaving. I'd suggest between say 8 and 9pm to avoid clashing with dinner and 'lights out' at Alberges.
Here would occaision the opportunity to toast each others health, with perhaps our first taste of Pacharan, that sloe-flavoured liquer commonly drunk in Navarre and the rest of the Basque Country.
I feel sure this will ensure a good nights sleep prior to departure.

Sound like a tradition worth promulgating?
Venue suggestions please.
Regds
Gerard
Hey Gerard,
Sounds like a plan to me. Are you thinking the
10th or the 11th or both. :D:D
Dinner at Berairi is at 7:30, so doubt would would be there much b4 9:00 pm. We'll be hanging around all day on the 11th too. Let us know. Think you're staying at the same place as barber1586 aka Mary.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks to Pat and Alan for their fine suggestions.
(Pat, we are staying at Le Petit Hotel in Biarritz)
It appears a scouting expedition is in order.

Hey Gerard,
Sounds like a plan to me. Are you thinking the
10th or the 11th or both. :D:D
Dinner at Berairi is at 7:30, so doubt would would be there much b4 9:00 pm. We'll be hanging around all day on the 11th too. Let us know. Think you're staying at the same place as barber1586 aka Mary.
We four arrive on the 11th. Coming over from Biarritz.
Staying with Mary at L'Auberge du Pelerin. It's very close to Belairi.
Perhaps you and Mary could conduct the aforementioned scouting expedition on the 10th?
A final selection could then be made on the 11th.
Hooray for us.
Regds
Gerard:):)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How late can it get when you have to be in bed by 10pm ;)

There are two lovely restaurants to the left and right of the hotel so you won't have to travel far for a meal. The board-walk is only 100mts away, which is handy to walk the meal and vino tinto off. :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It's a real shame that I can't join you all there, would be fun. So take this recommendatio for further down the line an d enjoy yourselves their too. Castrojeriz - La Taverna - right on the Camino. Sign the guest book and he will read the entry written by Hape Kerkling.
la_taberna.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

We four arrive on the 11th. Coming over from Biarritz.
Staying with Mary at L'Auberge du Pelerin. It's very close to Belairi.
Perhaps you and Mary could conduct the aforementioned scouting expedition on the 10th?
A final selection could then be made on the 11th.
Hooray for us.
Regds
Gerard:):)

Gerard, I think Mary comes in on the 11th also. See what I can find.

Gerard,
I'd love to be part of the scouting party on the 10th, but I don't arrive until the 11th, as Linda noted above. :( However, I will be there (with bells on!) on the 11th, my thimble in hand for toasting. (Just kidding about the thimble.) I loved your use of the word fellowship. Lovely. Can't wait to meet my fellow travelers.

Safe flights, all! See you soon!

Mary

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I arrive on the 10th, hopefully I'll get to meet some of you before I leave on the 11th!! I will be looking around while I'm in SJPdP and will most likely stop into somewhere for a nightcap before turning in. I will take note of the places listed and will be sure and stop in to see who's around!! See you on the 10th!!

I arrive on the 10th, hopefully I'll get to meet some of you before I leave on the 11th!! I will be looking around while I'm in SJPdP and will most likely stop into somewhere for a nightcap before turning in. I will take note of the places listed and will be sure and stop in to see who's around!! See you on the 10th!!
Where are you staying in SJPDP?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm staying at the L'Auberge du Pelerin
Jacqueline,

I'll be missing you by one day at L'Auberge du Pelerin; I am there the night of the 11th. I'm taking a rest day in SJPP and departing for Orisson on the 13th. You look young and fit so I may not catch up to you. Therefore I'm sending you my best wishes for a buen camino! I hope your journey is all you are seeking and more!

Best regards,
Mary

Jacqueline,

I'll be missing you by one day at L'Auberge du Pelerin; I am there the night of the 11th. I'm taking a rest day in SJPP and departing for Orisson on the 13th. You look young and fit so I may not catch up to you. Therefore I'm sending you my best wishes for a buen camino! I hope your journey is all you are seeking and more!

Best regards,
Mary
Hi Mary,
Young? Fit? Will I'm not either of those but I am active when it comes to walking but I have never walked for hours on end, day after day!! I'm sure I'll be stopping a day or two along "The Way"! Who knows, you might just be able to catch up with me!! I am very much looking forward to this new experience and meeting new people along the route! I too wish you a Buen Camino!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Mary,
Young? Fit? Will I'm not either of those but I am active when it comes to walking but I have never walked for hours on end, day after day!! I'm sure I'll be stopping a day or two along "The Way"! Who knows, you might just be able to catch up with me!! I am very much looking forward to this new experience and meeting new people along the route! I too wish you a Buen Camino!!
Do people plan on looking through the towns like pamplona, staying an extra night or just walking through?

On our first Camino we met and shared drinks with the owner and chef. Next day it was clear we should have passed on the cognac. There are many nice eateries in
St Jean pied de Port. Enjoy

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back