• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternatives to backpacks

Thupancic

:rolleyes:Hello everyone,
I had neck surgery awhile back, so I can't carry anything that puts any weight or stress on my shoulders. Is there such thing as a giant fanny pack? Any suggestions?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Have you tried lumbar packs? I've had a Marmot Walkabout for YEARS . Mountain Smith makes giant ones. They usually come with an optional single shoulder sling and are much higher capacity than a fanny/bum bag. They fit in the small of your back and I find them very comfortable. You haven't posted what country you're in. Out of the USA there may be other options.

Have you tried lumbar packs? I've had a Marmot Walkabout for YEARS . Mountain Smith makes giant ones. They usually come with an optional single shoulder sling and are much higher capacity than a fanny/bum bag. They fit in the small of your back and I find them very comfortable. You haven't posted what country you're in. Out of the USA there may be other options.
I did not know about lumbar packs!! I will check that out. I'm in Los Angeles, CA. I have never attempted any long hikes due to my inability to shoulder the packs, but this gives me hope!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
[QUOTE="I'm in Los Angeles, CA.[/QUOTE]
Oh then lucky you, you should have plenty of places to try on lumbar packs, including of course - REI. There you can also find lumbar packs - Mountain Smith - in the camera pack department and they are usually larger capacity. (the internet is wonky tonight or I'd do more looking...)

[QUOTE="I'm in Los Angeles, CA.
Oh then lucky you, you should have plenty of places to try on lumbar packs, including of course - REI. There you can also find lumbar packs - Mountain Smith - in the camera pack department and they are usually larger capacity. (the internet is wonky tonight or I'd do more looking...)[/QUOTE]
I found that lumbar pack you referred to online--I'm buying it! Thank you!!

There were some people with these on the Camino.

Attachments

• IMG_20140811_091158.jpg
    IMG_20140811_091158.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20140811_083037.jpg
    IMG_20140811_083037.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 97
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Don't forget to look into military equipment. Armies have a long history of using wide and strong waist belts that they then clip various bags onto.

I would recommend staying away from military equipment. Its designed primarily for utility ... ergonomics is circumstantial. Thats why armies have a long history of recruiting strong young men.

True, they do go for utility, but their concept is based upon carrying heavy items in the field for long periods - they aren't stupid (it is the politicians who are stupid!) and Israelis recruit women - as do other armies - into the army ... 2014 now you know!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
S.L.A Marshall (BGen, AUS)wrote a well known (at least in military circles) book called "The Soldier's Load and the Mobility of a Nation" In the book he documents the need to consider what and how the "soldier" should carry to be effective and mobile under varied occasions. Today's force march pack is both well constructed and, with the ability to add/reduce, quite useable for the general public.

This is what I use:

It is light weight, has individual storage cells inside and plenty of options to attach things outside. It's made to ride on the hips (thus the wide waist belt. If adjusted correctly, there is little weight on the shoulders. The chest strap also assists in reducing excess tugging. Fully loaded, my pack is under 10kg not counting water.upload_2014-8-24_17-5-29.pngupload_2014-8-24_17-5-29.png

This is what I use:

It is light weight, has individual storage cells inside and plenty of options to attach things outside. It's made to ride on the hips (thus the wide waist belt. If adjusted correctly, there is little weight on the shoulders. The chest strap also assists in reducing excess tugging. Fully loaded, my pack is under 10kg not counting water.View attachment 12965View attachment 12965

Is that military grade? If so which forces? And where did you get it?
Also: I feel old when I see that ☺
T.i.a.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport services are alive and doing well along the Camino(s)....

At €569.95 for a trailer? For half the price you can use a transport service for a month to deliver a suitcase, you wouldn't have to even buy a backpack! If you're going to use it for several long distance walks, then I could see justifying the cost of a wheeled cart.
This option is more expensive but has multiuses
http://www.benpacker.de/

I did not buy because it is very expensive, but bought the materials and made

(my English is the online translation)

Bom Caminho

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Consider using a vest or jacket, in conjunction with some type of pack, to help spread the weight
I have a scottevest which has a heap of pockets, some quite large, that I have used successfully to carry clothing, a ipad, cameras, etc.
I even considered using only it to transport my requirements on Camino.
http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/subindex_mens.shtml#vests
There are other brands available. Photographers often use them to carry all their gear.
Regds
Gerard

Last edited:
I have an equivalent to the Scottevest made by a firm called Ayegear in Scotland.
Much to my disgust, after having bought it some months ago, I now discover (cheers Gerard!) it is a complete "rip-off" of the scottevest.
Wish I'd known before.

However, that said, it is a very useful bit of kit.
It carries, hidden away and without looking bulky, my iPhone, iPad mini, pocket camera, keys, money etc etc

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm with Al and Olivares. Pack transport is inexpensive and can be found all along the Way.
It runs generally about 6-8 euros per stage up to Sarria, where it drops to 3 euros per stage.
If you can get into a group of 4-5 people, it gets less expensive.

During past caminos I have seen multitudes of backpacks; usually far too loaded and resembling that of Father Christmas but without any cheery 'ho-ho-ho'. However, one pilgrim with whom I climbed O Cebreiro 2012 in a late November blizzard seemed to have the perfect solution.

He had neither pack nor sleeping bag but simply carried all essentials within 4 sturdy zip-lock bags in his pockets.Two large pockets on a snow-proof jacket contained Crendencial, passport, smartphone/charger, toiletries and a miniscule towel. Two pockets on his snow-proof trousers contained a change of briefs, second set of long underwear, second pair of hiking socks, a silk/polyester bag liner and flip flops. Nothing more was deemed necessary. ...Climbing together through a white-out for more five hours I learned this 'secret' and many more!!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
:rolleyes:Hello everyone,
I had neck surgery awhile back, so I can't carry anything that puts any weight or stress on my shoulders. Is there such thing as a giant fanny pack? Any suggestions?
Hi, I have been doing a bit of research into back packs and looking at the advice given on this forum. I actually bought my pack today and just love it. Have a look at www.aarnpacks.com , I bought the fetherlite Body Pack which is different to your regular back pack in that the load is not on the shoulders at all. Best to just have a look as they explain it better than I can. It is a bit on the pricey side but if you are going to do a bit of walking I think it will be well worth it. They are made in New Zealand but sell world wide. Good luck.

Hi, I have been doing a bit of research into back packs and looking at the advice given on this forum. I actually bought my pack today and just love it. Have a look at www.aarnpacks.com , I bought the fetherlite Body Pack which is different to your regular back pack in that the load is not on the shoulders at all. Best to just have a look as they explain it better than I can. It is a bit on the pricey side but if you are going to do a bit of walking I think it will be well worth it. They are made in New Zealand but sell world wide. Good luck.

Kanga uses this type of pack and says she is very happy with it. It makes perfect sense but I will have to stick to my Gregory for another while.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Maybe this fits your needs? I have an Osprey Talon 6 waist pack. It incorporates two 600 ml water bottles. Here are some pictures. I keep emergency stuff in one of the two main pockets and the other is free for snacks. The side pouches hold light gloves/buff and a small collapsible backpack for groceries/picnics. Everything as shown weighs 4.5 kilos and that is with both my shell and rain jackets in the dry bag along with one change of clothes, silk liner, toiletries and towel. When I am wearing my two coats then it is 3.7 kilos.
20141227_134244.jpg 20141227_134440.jpg 20141227_134330.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Interesting concept Al and I can see how you are thinking about it - but - where do the staples - the bread and cheese and sausage and dried pasta and salt and pepper and olive oil and yoghurt and maybe fruit go???

p.s. when you are uploading an image - when each image has loaded, the bar filled, you will see two options - thumbnail and full image - if you click full image your pics will appear embedded full size rather than just little thumbnails one clicks on to view.

Buen Camino!

Thanks for the advice about sizing David but I do know about the full/thumbprint option (actually I think you were the first to helpfully point it out to me ages ago). However it is not another bout of Alzheimer's this time as I was thinking of people and their download speeds. I thought that as there were 3 photos only people really interested would want to see them full size. There is room in one of the pockets for a little food. I don't picnic most days and on those I will use the collapsible day bag.

Sorry for the repetition Al, I forget these things!
Ah - just checked your images and they are over 2mb! - ok, you could download the free program .. Pixresizer - is easy to use - choose your photo, choose the size, click, save it in the folder you choose .. then you can put up your pics - x600 is good - that are 'online' size.

http://pixresizer.en.softonic.com/

I hope you enjoy your minimalist pack, Al, trimmed down like that could be pretty good (except folk covering their hands in corners and whispering to each other "he is not a real pilgrim" :)) but it is not for me as I like to stay out of restaurants and carry my own food so need more space. Also, planning to walk with a cut-down first aid kit in 2015 so it is minimum 38 litres for me ... am intrigued by the Osprey Exos 48 ... lighter than the Kestrel 38 .. anyone tried one?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
... am intrigued by the Osprey Exos 48 ... lighter than the Kestrel 38 .. anyone tried one?

I have used the old style exos 46, apart from my last Camino it is the one I normally used. It was OK, the minor niggles being the shoulder straps were too thin which did lead to them cutting into you when going above certain weights, too many straps etc, It would get confusing sometimes, But despite the negatives I liked it very much, if you got the weight right it was like picking up a feather. At the last Camigos get to together, Tim gave a Thumbs up for the newer 48 model
It seems like they have listened to the critisms and tweaked it, wider shoulder and hip straps, less stuff(ie irrelevant straps), its lighter( I think), just better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.