• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any need for 15kg backpack?

tommy wallace

Time of past OR future Camino
first
hey everyone!

just wondering is there any need for a 15kg backpack for 1 week walking.
Could all my clothes, toiletries, etc fit in my carry pack on my back?
Just want to keep luggage costs down.

Thanks,
Tommy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As long as I don't have to carry the pack, it's fine.

I never bring additional clothing. They make very nice hiking clothes. That said, do whatever makes you comfortable.

Ultreya,
Joe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Clothes, toiletries, meds, phone and charger and several un needed items for five weeks came to between 9 and 10 kilos for five weeks for me. The same or less should be plenty for a week. Check the posts on packing lists for more details on what people bring.
Buen Camino.

Do not forget your tuxedo, necessairy for your inauguration in Santiago and officially handing over your Compostela certificate. :)

We walked 5 weeks with 7 kilos ( exclusive some drinkingwater) last year on the caminho Portuges The Osprey Atmos 50 backpack weighs 1,5 kgs. 3 underpants, 3 walking hemds 2 pairs of lightweight trousers, 3 pair of socks , silk sleepingliner, 2 towels toiletteries, lightweight raincoat, fleecevest, reflecting fluorescent safetyvest, Crocks and some minor things.
The same equipment we used this year,walking 7 days on the camiño Ingles.

Buen camiño

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good lord! That's a lot! You can get away with nothing if you are trusting. A clean shirt, 2 clean boxers or briefs, extra socks and a toothbrush is really all you need. That's only to prevent offending other pilgrims delicate sensibilities.

Good lord! That's a lot! You can get away with nothing if you are trusting. A clean shirt, 2 clean boxers or briefs, extra socks and a toothbrush is really all you need. That's only to prevent offending other pilgrims delicate sensibilities.
On our way this year we met a guy during the walk and later in the albergue who had the same equipment like you describe. He hung his dirty sweaty smelly shirt and socks in the washing area without washing and later upon the bunkbed above him and I still can smell the disgusting air ,spreading all over the albergue.
Opening all available windows did not help att all .
The next morning he wore the same cloths and socks. (Word removed after some discussions ) :-(
That's why we carry three image.jpg pieces of each with us. One set we wear, one set is clean and dry in the backpack and one or dry or drying in the open compartment of the backpack or hanging outside during the daywalk.

Last edited:
On our way this year we met a guy during the walk and later in the albergue who had the same equipment like you describe. He hung his dirty sweaty smelly shirt and socks in the washing area without washing and later upon the bunkbed above him and I still can smell the disgusting air ,spreading all over the albergue.
The next morning he wore the same cloths and socks. What a pig :-(
That's why we carry three View attachment 11614 pieces of each with us. One set we wear, one set is clean and dry in the backpack and one or dry or drying in the open compartment of the backpack or hanging outside during the daywalk.
Yep agree Albertinho no need to be stinky or dirty just because you are a pilgrim. It's not a competition to see who has the least stuff or lightest pack. Just be smart and don't bring the kitchen sink. Oh by the way that's the same as my new back pack. I love it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yep agree Albertinho no need to be stinky or dirty just because you are a pilgrim. It's not a competition to see who has the least stuff or lightest pack. Just be smart and don't bring the kitchen sink. Oh by the way that's the same as my new back pack. I love it.
Exactly !

This is the lady pack. Anatomicly better formed and shaped than the man's pack..:)ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1405681639.363350.jpg

But that is a different discussion. the Ospreys are very lightweight, comfortable and spacy.

Bom caminho

Not trying to be in any sort of competition here, but hopefully helping new people put things into perspective. However, after a few caminos I find my skin out weighing 10 kilos (10.5% my body weight). This includes 4 sets of boxers/t-shirts/inner socks/outer socks, 2 pair of zip off trousers, boots, sandals, shell jacket, waterproof jacket, cap, buff, gloves, bag liner, bug sheet and pillow case, plus toiletries, towel, emergency stuff, guides and poles. Walking this means on a hot day (so I am carrying my coats in the bag) the bag weighs 7.5K (7.9% of my body weight). Obviously I have to add water and food to this (1 litre normally plus say 500g food). Thus having skin out of 11.5k (12.1%) and 9k (9.5%). With these weights I don't really notice my pack on my back. Yes I could save about 1.6k by only having 2 sets of clothes but I am perfectly happy to only have to wash clothes every 3 days. After all I want to enjoy my post walking time! To that end I find a washer to do it for me (idle or what?)

The next morning he wore the same cloths and socks. What a pig :-(
That's why we carry three View attachment 11614 pieces of each with us. One set we wear, one set is clean and dry in the backpack and one or dry or drying in the open compartment of the backpack or hanging outside during the daywalk.
You can call him a pig and that would be your judgement. If you found it uncomfortable being a in a room with someone else's smelly things that's one thing, your thing. But to call someone else a "pig" because you do things differently is unfair. Each pilgrim has his or her own journey and we don't get to dictate how anyone does something. I would probably be uncomfortable also. But I would not call anyone names. You/we all carry with you/us the cultural constructs that we grew up with, in this case someone else's smelly things are offensive. And this is what walking a pilgrimage teaches... That's what's so great about it...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I wonder what you should do if someone else hung his filthy smelly things next to your fresh washed cloths on the clothshorse and no further bother about it.
This has nothing to do with cultural constructs. the person was from a very modern west European country where hygenic habits are the same as we are used to .
It was a discussion about a 15 kgs backpack and somebody replied that he took one T shirt ,one or two underpants and a toothbrush so I replied with the experience we and all who were there at that moment in that smelly albergue, caused by someone who does not care about his fellow pilgrims.

hey everyone!

Thanks,
Tommy

15 kg is quit a lot, nearly all people do with less. I would say 10 kg is the max for any comfortable walking.
There might be one need to take 15 kgs: just to find out how hard that is, it can be a challenge to see if you are able 15 kg. It also can be a starting point for a motivation to do with less next time. I think it goes like this for nearly anyone.
On my first camino I walked with 12 kgs. I managed but the next on was 8 kg, last year with 4,5. This was extreme lightweight also because I wanted to run part of the camino. Still, I had everything I need.
Two tips:
- if you think you don't need it in the first 2-3 days, don't take it
- see how it works with 15 kg and see if you can go to a post office on your 3th day. Then send everything you want to get rid of to home or to santiago. Might be half you pack by then :rolleyes:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wonder what you should do if someone else hung his filthy smelly things next to your fresh washed cloths on the clothshorse and no further bother about it.
This has nothing to do with cultural constructs. the person was from a very modern west European country where hygenic habits are the same as we are used to .
It was a discussion about a 15 kgs backpack and somebody replied that he took one T shirt ,one or two underpants and a toothbrush so I replied with the experience we and all who were there at that moment in that smelly albergue, caused by someone who does not care about his fellow pilgrims.

If I would the person with the smelly clothes I would prefer to hear that the smell of my clothes does bother other people, rather than to be called 'a pig'. Regardless, my cultural background.

You can call him a pig and that would be your judgement. If you found it uncomfortable being a in a room with someone else's smelly things that's one thing, your thing. But to call someone else a "pig" because you do things differently is unfair. Each pilgrim has his or her own journey and we don't get to dictate how anyone does something. I would probably be uncomfortable also. But I would not call anyone names. You/we all carry with you/us the cultural constructs that we grew up with, in this case someone else's smelly things are offensive. And this is what walking a pilgrimage teaches... That's what's so great about it...

Sorry, but imo @Albertinho is right. This has nothing to do with culture. This sort of behaviour is just plain filthy and you are allowed to say that. Why not? Why always hush hush and trying not to hurt somebodys feelings? Hearing The truth sucks for most people, but sometimes the truth is needed.
If you have any form of etiquette in your brain, you would not do what that person does.
If this is your lifestyle, fine, but you do not have to force it onto other. Then just get your own room or bring a tent.
Don't let a room full of people enjoy your smelly underwear, just because you think its ok. Thats just plain selfish. Ughh.

Some people just take the minimalistic packpacking thing to serious and that has his downsides. And sometimes they are smelly downsides.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think the subtle but Important and helpful distinction is between :

- saying someone IS a pig (insulting in any culture and unfair to pigs who are quite clean)

- saying someone is BEHAVING like a pig.

Leaving aside that pigs are still unfairly treated, this distinguishes between the person ( who may have many reasons for his behaviour, which we do not information about ), and the behaviour which regardless of the reasons remains anti-social.

I agree that silence does nothing to inform the culprit of the consequences of his behaviour. And if thick-skinned as many such people are, he is probably going along in blissful ignorance of the impact of his behaviour. Like a pig, such people usually have no emotional issues or embarrassment with being confronted

And this is what it looks like to get really dirty. Just to break the tension. Some days the Camino path is like this - I will have to remember next time I am cursing the mud that it is all in the attitude....

And this is what it looks like to get really dirty. Just to break the tension. Some days the Camino path is like this - I will have to remember next time I am cursing the mud that it is all in the attitude....
It's a dog! Who behaves like a pig... or like a muddy cursing pilgim in the rain...:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I love this video
Kanga, you are a special soul and I am so impressed that you placed it here for us to enjoy and to understand
You have made my day
Sunday is my favourite day anyway
Thank you

Dax
In Pune, (a work in progress)

Sorry, but imo @Albertinho is right. This has nothing to do with culture. This sort of behaviour is just plain filthy and you are allowed to say that. Why not? Why always hush hush and trying not to hurt somebodys feelings? Hearing The truth sucks for most people, but sometimes the truth is needed.
If you have any form of etiquette in your brain, you would not do what that person does.
If this is your lifestyle, fine, but you do not have to force it onto other. Then just get your own room or bring a tent.
Don't let a room full of people enjoy your smelly underwear, just because you think its ok. Thats just plain selfish. Ughh.

Some people just take the minimalistic packpacking thing to serious and that has his downsides. And sometimes they are smelly downsides.
Don't mean to belabor the point but it has everything to do with culture and enculturation.... You don't like it so you have judged his choices because it is offensive to your sensibilities. It may be that where HE comes from nobody cares. Whatever, I'm certainly NOT one to go around protecting people's feelings. You are correct that it is unhealthy not to be direct with folks. I told a young man at an albergue that his feet and shoes smelled like vomit and would he please wash his feet and put his shoes outside. He did. I then asked him if he was feeling OK and did he need anything. I thought he might be unwell. I suggested Tea Tree oil would help the smell and mitigate the fungus that was causing it. He was not offended.

If that man decides to do a trip like the camino, he chooses to "live" with a lot of people in a small space.
That means that everybody has to adjust him/herself to each other up to a certain point. Just keep on doing what you do at home, especially when its something that might be offensive to others, is kind off rude if you ask me.
Is he then the only person who does not have to adjust to all the other pilgrims? Just because he apparently has other cultural believes?

If i was the type off person who goes to the toilet(maybe even the ONLY toilet in the albergue) and stay in there untill i've read the whole saturday edition of the Santiago daily journal from A to Z, is that then a cultural thing and should all the others just be fine with that, because hey....thats what i am used to doing, or am i just very unwilling to adjust to my surroundings and therfor i am plain rude.

Hmm... I wonder. Where does "cultural" end and rudeness begin.
A good one for the "albergue etiquette" thread if you ask me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
And to stay on topic, 15 kg is alot for one week, but i guess it depends on what you are comfortable with and also able to carry.

I take alot of clothes (dont want to do laundry everyday) and other nonsens with me and i usually end up with about 11-12kg excl water and food. Heavy for some, fine for others. I have never had problems with the weight. That weight does not bother me.
If you can carry 15 kg without problems, go for it. If your in doubt, then re-check what your bringing.

Use the hand luggage test: if weighs too much to go on plane as hand luggage then start emptying the bag (unless special requirements)

This year my pack weighed just under 11kg when it was weighed at check-in as hold luggage with my poles attached. With a full 3li bladder, some food and a small cache of chocolate, it would have weighed over 14 kg. All but two items of clothing were used over the 11 days that I walked, but a variety of other items didn't need to be.

I did have a few things that I hadn't plan to carry when I left Australia, largely because my wife and I had other commitments in London before I walked. The final division into what she was taking with her, what I was taking and what we were leaving with friends was rushed, and some things stayed in my gadget bag etc that I hadn't planned to carry on the Camino. I also stayed an extra night at our hotel, and there were a number of items, albeit small, that had found lodging in obscure places that emerged when I was doing that final check of the room before leaving :) It's surprising how quickly that adds up in weight terms.

I was definitely slower carrying this load than I might have been, and was probably 0.5km/hr slower than I would have expected to be. My FSO target of 20% of my ideal walking weight was 17kg, and with worn items and the extra (unplanned) pack weight, I was probably a kg or so over that while the bladder and food bag were full.

Which gets back to @Dutch's point, which is that while the load was heavier than I had planned, I was still comfortable carrying it, and wasn't tempted to dispose of any of the contents.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Use the hand luggage test: if weighs too much to go on plane as hand luggage then start emptying the bag (unless special requirements)

Most airlines around the world have a 7kg max for carry on baggage.

Most airlines around the world have a 7kg max for carry on baggage.
And limitations on size.
Our Osprey 50 liter packs do not fit into the handluggage compartments.
It could be but than starts another discussion..selfish behaviour in airplanes.

Several times I made flights from the USA back to Europe and saw how people come with big backs ,backpacks and such things and try to get them into the luggage department above them, leaving other passengers with their luggage because there was no room anymore .
Specially in the bigger airplanes with many passengers, cueing up and causing delay because not all were seated and looking around for space to leave their items. frustrating the airplane staff.

Here in Europe anyway the airliners have measures where you put your luggage in. Too big , you have to check it in.
When I fly with my backpack, I check it allways in, even bought a special cover to protect it a bit, locked up with a small lock. The cover can be used too as a raincover and due to its fluoriscent yellow colour it was extra aid to recognize the backpack at the airport luggagebelt and to attract drivers when we walked on hard shoulders of busy roads in Portugal.

Last edited:
You only need to take a 15kg backpack, if you want a sored back :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walk for three weeks.
My backpack weighs 7.8 kgm
No-one has told me that I smell, though six German peregrinas did leave the last albergue after booking in and paying for the night last June ;)
Buen camino ... smelling sweetly ....

I walk for three weeks.
My backpack weighs 7.8 kgm
No-one has told me that I smell, though six German peregrinas did leave the last albergue after booking in and paying for the night last June ;)
Buen camino ... smelling sweetly ....
I smelled the smell of beer when we met but that was because we drank a beer together :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm always amazed when folk take four sets of underwear [unless they have a medical problem.] Take 1, wear 1. When you wash the 'used' underwear, wear the new set. The same can apply to shirts. No-one expects pilgrims to look pristine as if they're off to the office ;).
As long as we don't smell too badly .....
If pilgrims never ever smelled at all, we might not have got the botafumiero ...:D

Has nothing to do with pristine, but all to do with how often do you really want to do laundry. I'd rather bring an extra pair of boxers and spent less time washing then the other way around.

How pristine can you look with anything that comes out of your backpack, really...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Has nothing to do with pristine, but all to do with how often do you really want to do laundry. I'd rather bring an extra pair of boxers and spent less time washing then the other way around.

How pristine can you look with anything that comes out of your backpack, really...
We met Stephen in person in Santiago last May and he looked pristine and smart :)
His cloths just came out of his backpack not wrinkled at all. :)
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406191605.080375.jpg. For the good order Stephan is the person left with the empty glass of beer in front of him :)

He must have special folding techniques ;-)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
hey everyone!

Thanks,
Tommy
I think you better talk with Al the Optimist!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.