• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking La faba and O Cebreiro

gracie

Is there a road route for bicycles? I am not a professional cyclist so i am worried about that part as it is very heavy to push the bike on that incline.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, there is a paved road all the way from say Las Herrerias that takes you to O'Cebreiro. It is steep, not easy, but also not heavily trafficked.

...and please pay attention to the left turn-off for walkers up the hill a bit from Las Herrerias - don't turn left - stay on the road! Last year I was walking with a wonderful Gallego when two bici-ists came up behind us -- CARRYING their bikes and looking a bit - well, take a look ~ ~ :(
Buen Camino!
Terry

Attachments

• IMG_1171.JPG
    IMG_1171.JPG
    292.7 KB · Views: 100
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have just had a close look at the contours for this section of the Camino. Herrerias is around 705m and the elevation for OÇebreiro is 1300m so its almost a 600m climb in around 7-8km. That is quite a steep gradient for both walkers and cyclists. I might need more hill climbing training.

I have walked the bike route several times. Follow the CV 125/1 to Laguna de Castilla . Leaving Laguna after a welcome coffee at the bar/albergue there is a marked junction with the walking path. Continue on the left for the walking path or straight to follow the bike route. Both arrive at O Cebreiro.

Have just had a close look at the contours for this section of the Camino. Herrerias is around 705m and the elevation for OÇebreiro is 1300m so its almost a 600m climb in around 7-8km. That is quite a steep gradient for both walkers and cyclists. I might need more hill climbing training.
Not to worry, Mike, it may look a bit daunting from the figures, but it really isn't that bad - especially if you've been on the Camino for several weeks. It is so beautiful!! It's one of the (many) parts of the Camino I'm really looking forward to walking again - SOON!! It IS a bit steep when going up thru the forest, but that part isn't that far - really. And from La Faba it's fairly gradual with incredible vistas - particularly looking back at the range of mountains that contain Mount Irago and the Cruz de Ferro.
Buen Camino, and may you have splendid weather when you get there!!
Terry

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'll walk an extra kilometer, or two or three, to avoid a >10-15% grade. I walked the road and found it relatively easy. That being said it WAS a lot longer!

I walked the road and found it relatively easy. That being said it WAS a lot longer!
Longer in distance, maybe. Annakappa walked the trail and I the road where the two split. We both arrived at the same time at La Faba.

In staying on the road, I stayed to the right instead of going down into Herrerias, and completely avoided La Faba by going through Piedrafita do Cebreiro. It is a road well suited to bicycles, though the route up to O Cebreiro was fairly busy for a country road.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A local at Vega de Valcarcel advised me to stay on the road (right) when the trail stated left or right, specially due to rain the night before. I stayed on the road. It was steep, but the road was in excellent condition. I don't think I walked much more than the people who took the left (rocky trail).

...and please pay attention to the left turn-off for walkers up the hill a bit from Las Herrerias - don't turn left - stay on the road! Last year I was walking with a wonderful Gallego when two bici-ists came up behind us -- CARRYING their bikes and looking a bit - well, take a look ~ ~ :(
Buen Camino!
Terry
I rode all the way to La Faba on bike, and waited for my wife. (we agred to meet at 1st town - La faba on the Brierly guide map). Still waiting an hour later. Still waiting, realised she had turned off early to Laguna...so NOT wanting to go back down hill, carried/pushed the bike on the rocky track thru to Laguna and then on to O'Ceb, where she was waiting. Boy was I in trouble!!!!

Longer in distance, maybe. Annakappa walked the trail and I the road where the two split. We both arrived at the same time at La Faba.
This walk up the mule track is one of my favourite parts of the Camino ( in fact, up to O'Cebreiro). We, fraluchi and I wanted to see which was quicker/easier!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Buen Camino!
Terry
Yeah, I made that mistake in 2014.

Note to all would be cyclists, there is a tar sealed road via Las Herrerias to O Cebreiro.
It branches off west Las H. At La Faba there is a further branch (take the right-hand fork)
And continue up to La Laguna and O Cebreiro. Depending upon bike load and fitness levels you may need to walk on the steepest sections.
Cheers to all.

Think the jury is out. Stick to the road if you are on a bike. If you are looking for a work out even on the road you are going to get one. Make sure you take note of the signs that keep you on the road, unlike some I know including myself.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back