• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bilbao to Llanes then the GR105 through the Picos and then the Primitivo

Awordinyourear

I am just at the last moment planning a month walk does this look possible? I normally walk quite fast and light and I am happy to camp rough if there is no room at the inn.

Is the stretch from Bilbao boring? I am happy to walk alongside roads but not alongside highways.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am just at the last moment planning a month walk does this look possible? I normally walk quite fast and light and I am happy to camp rough if there is no room at the inn.

Is the stretch from Bilbao boring? I am happy to walk alongside roads but not alongside highways.
Hola and welcome
We looked at this for last year but from Santander. Between Llanes and Covadonga/Cangas de Onis it is a 'montaneros' route and tougher than the Camino routes. If you are used to rough hill walking it should be OK, depending on the time of year, but your timing might be tight. There are fairly strict rules about camping in the Picos I think, so check that out. There is accomodation at intervals which probably would suit you. The route may not be passable until well into May, they had snow in the Picos in mid May last year and the streams were swollen still so stepping stones could be submerged. We changed our route in Llanes on local advice.
If you want more info we have quite a few notes, weblinks which we can post here.

Hasta donde yo sé, el GR-105 es el sendero de gran recorrido que va desde Oviedo hasta Covadonga. En realidad no se adentra en Los Picos de Europa, aunque Covadonga esté dentro del parque. El sendero, en su día se señalizó, pero la falta de mantenimiento hizo que muchas señales se rompieran o estén tapadas por la maleza, por lo que si no conoces la zona, es muy fácil que te pierdas.

Ahí tienes la ruta hecha hace tres años por gente que está muy acostumbrada a hacer rutas de senderismo. Si pinchas en los enlaces, te hacen una descripción de cada etapa.

To my knowledge, the GR-105 is a long distance footpath running from Oviedo to Covadonga. Actually it does not go into Los Picosde Europa though Covadonga is within the park. The trail, signaled in his day, but the lack of maintenance caused many signals are broke or are covered by weeds, so if you do not know the area, it is very easy to miss.

There you go the route made three years ago by people who are very used to hiking trails. If you click on the links, make you a description of each stage.

http://www.jfcamina.es/gr-105/

El que va de Llanes a Covadonga es una variante de este, en concreto, el GR-105.2.

The going from Llanes to Covadonga is a variant of this, namely, the GR-105.2.

http://www.reman.es/senderos-gr/gr-105-ruta-de-las-peregrinaciones/gr-105-2-cami-de-oriente/

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

El que va de Llanes a Covadonga es una variante de este, en concreto, el GR-105.2.

The going from Llanes to Covadonga is a variant of this, namely, the GR-105.2.

http://www.reman.es/senderos-gr/gr-105-ruta-de-las-peregrinaciones/gr-105-2-cami-de-oriente/
This is the route we researched. I think the instructions we used were here -
http://www.vivirasturias.com/asturias/llanes/gr-1052-el-camin-del-oriente/es
This is the Spanish page for the Camino del Oriente, GR105.2, but there is an English translation link (top right).
Due to the weather conditions we went round by FEVE from Llanes to Arriondas and walked the Camino de la Reina - another variant - to Covadonga and then returned to Cangas de Onis before travelling home. The signing from Covadonga to Cangas de Onis and westward looked as though it was fairly well maintained, but we were warned that the signing between Llanes and Cangas de Onis was poor. If you check out the link you will see that it is probably possible to walk the side roads, find accomodation etc if the actual path is no longer marked. A Mapa Militar for the area is a good idea.

Hola

And many thanks to both of you I think I had better give it a go. I have always loved the Picos one of my favorite ever nights was camping under Naranjo de Bulnes in a thunderstorm.

I will be departing Bilbao a week today which should mean I avoid the Snow.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Buen Camino, it should be the best time of year to be there :). If you walk into Cangas de Onis, from the Covadonga side,you will pass the Guardia Civil. Clap your hands to attract attention and ask for a sello. Once they understood they took our credenciales inside - so we have the Mountain Rescue team's stamp. The Puente Romana has the Cross of Asturias hanging from the arch. There is also a lovely chapel in town - only open at weekends to see the prehistoric remains below.Cangas is the old capital of Asturias and very interesting historically - worth a 'day off' there if you need one.

Attachments

• puente romana.jpg
    puente romana.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Santa cruz.jpg
    Santa cruz.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 3
All the advice looks good. I will arrive late on Friday night and then cheat and get the metro out from Central Bilbao on Saturday morning to Portugalete. Will the Alberge in Portugalete have credentials?

A bit of me feels the process of getting a metro on the first morning is cheating however another part of my brain likes the thought of breaking free of the town as fast as possible and seeing the sea on my left as I head west.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When you reach Oviedo be sure to visit the Cathedral and the Cámara Santa (chapel) where the Cruz de la Victoria (Cross of Victory) is.
The office is open from 10.00 to 12.00 and 16.00 to 18.00 most days and will stamp your credencial with the Cathedral stamp. When we were there the chapel was free to pilgrims, but you paid to go on and see the museum. I think that it may be closed on Mondays, but you can check online.

When you reach Oviedo be sure to visit the Cathedral and the Cámara Santa (chapel) where the Cruz de la Victoria (Cross of Victory) is.

Y se te olvida lo más importante, el Santo Sudario, aunque sólo se pueda ver tres días al año, dos de ellos en septiembre.

And you forgot the most important thing, the Sudarium Sant, if only you can see three days a year, two of them in September.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santo_Sudario_de_Oviedo

I was going to put the Sudarium in as well, but had lost the link, so thank you Angulero, I hoped you might add it in.
The site we have found is The Sudarium and the Shroud of Turin, in English. Very interesting.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ayer hubo una reunión en Covadonga para hablar del Camino. Parece que se quiere recuperar el camino entre Covadonga y Oviedo, incluso desde la zona cántabra de Liébana.

Yesterday there was a meeting to discuss the Camino Covadonga. It seems you want to retrieve the path between Covadonga Oviedo, even from the Cantabrian zone Liébana.

http://www.elcomercio.es/asturias/o...oncejos-buscan-reforzar-20140920004118-v.html

Once concejos buscan reforzar el valor del Camino de Santiago a su paso por Covadonga

18197589.jpg

Cecilio Testón, Marcelo Meana, Carmen Barrera, José Manuel González, Juan José Tuñón, César Movilla, José Manuel Fernández, Emilio Ballesteros y José María Osoro. / N. ACEBAL
  • Entre las primeras decisiones que deben tomar se encuentra la de definir dónde empieza y acaba la ruta y su denominación
  • SHEILA VACA | COVADONGA.
20 septiembre 201400:41

Once concejos asturianos han formado una especie de entente para reforzar el Camino de Santiago en su paso por Asturias, pero sobre todo por Covadonga. Cangas de Onís, Oviedo, Peñamellera Alta, Peñamellera Baja, Noreña, Nava, Piloña, Cabrales, Onís, Parres y Siero están elaborando un proyecto para volver a poner en valor esta ruta que cada año es trazada por las botas de numerosos turistas. Algunos de los representantes de estos concejos, aunque ya han mantenido algunas reuniones previas, protagonizaron ayer un encuentro con el abad de Covadonga, Juan José Tuñón, para dialogar sobre el proyecto.

Sin duda el Camino de Santiago encierra elementos culturales, históricos, religiosos y turísticos de primer orden. La idea base de estos ayuntamientos, de diferentes signos políticos, parte de un espíritu de colaboración mutua, buscando y analizando el elemento vertebrador que une a tantos concejos en una misma realidad e intentando a su vez potenciar esta realidad de las peregrinaciones a Santiago de Compostela y Covadonga.

Noreña podría así incorporarse a la ruta del Camino de Santiago. «Es una petición que desde el municipio venimos realizando desde 1997. Fue en el año 93 cuando Noreña que dó excluida de ese trazado y «creo que por el interés histórico y cultural, su presencia en su momento de un hospital de peregrinos justifica su incorporación», manifestaba el alcalde, César Movilla. «Hemos aportado en el boletín oficial de la provincia un informe hecho por un historiador en el que se documenta con claridad que Noreña es paso del Camino de Santiago. Esperemos que la Consejería y la Comisión de Patrimonio concretamente, pueda resolverlo de manera favorable porque llevamos mucho tiempo pidiéndolo», añadía.

«Cangas tiene mucho que aportar. Vamos a trabajar con los municipios limítrofes»
Entre las primeras decisiones que se deben afrontar está la de «ponernos de acuerdo dónde empieza y dónde acaba el camino». «Con el transcurso de los años, muchas partes se vieron deterioradas por el paso de carreteras generales, el ferrocarril...», expresaba el regidor de Nava, Emilio Ballesteros, que se mostraba «encantado» de que un recurso turístico como el Camino de Santiago recuperase su valor, «ya que es algo que Asturias estaba menospreciando».

Otra cosa en la que deben ponerse de acuerdo estos once concejos es en el nombre. «La etiqueta no es una cuestión baladí», decía Ballesteros. Los representantes políticos explicaron que ya se barajaban algunas opciones, pero por el momento aún no hay ningún elegido. «Es un camino especial. La prolongación de Liébana es importante, es predecesora del Camino antes que la Ruta Jacobea», añadía el alcalde naveto.

Un sitio de referencia

En lo que respecta a Cangas de Onís, su máximo representante, José Manuel González, subrayaba la idea de «reforzar la ruta de Oviedo a Covadonga, un sitio de referencia para todos los asturianos y cuna de la España actual. Cangas tiene mucho que aportar. Vamos a trabajar las próximas semanas en buscar esa conexión con los concejos limítrofes, poniéndonos de acuerdo tanto con Onís como con Parres para documentar culturalmente esta ruta y homologarla». En cuanto al estado de conservación de este camino, José Manuel González afirmó que «se mantiene transitable, ya que se realizan una serie de desbroces periódicos, así como saneamiento del firme».

Desde Peñamellera Baja también encuentran en esta idea algo positivo para el concejo. «Es un proyecto del que venimos hablando durante años, pero que finalmente nunca acabamos de dar el paso para iniciar los trámites o las gestiones correspondientes para potenciarlo», manifestaba el alcalde peñamellerano, José Manuel Fernández. «Tiene un gran potencial. Nosotros lo tenemos definido. Enlazamos con un municipio de Cantabria, que es Peñarrubia, con el desfiladero de la Hermida y Peñamellera Alta. Es una zona apartada de las poblaciones, que en alguno de los tramos bordea el Parque de los Picos», destaca.

Este proyecto enriquecedor supone un soplo de aire fresco para Piloña, ya que pondrían en valor «equipamientos culturales del concejo como el Santuario de la Cueva, recurso turístico de primer orden para el municipio», indicaba la regidora Carmen Barrera. «Están reconocidos en el catálogo municipal dos tramos del Camino de Santiago a su paso por Piloña y vamos a trabajar intensamente para determinar de una manera mas histórica este trazado, que tiene su culmen en el Real Sitio de Covadonga», remachaba Barrera.

Sello de credenciales

Covadonga es sin duda un foco para los peregrinos. En este sentido, el abad del Santuario, Juan José Tuñón, manifestó su absoluta colaboración con todas las autoridades que forman parte de este entente. «Estos ayuntamientos están haciendo un gran esfuerzo por potenciar un camino en el que Covadonga tiene un papel importante. Merece la pena. Covadonga es una confluencia de peregrinaciones, se sellan bastantes credenciales de peregrinos, fundamentalmente de fuera de España, franceses y alemanes. Aunque acuden cada vez más grupos organizados que inician aquí el camino. Sin duda es un itinerario que suscita interés por la fuerza identitaria que tiene este lugar», destacaba el abad.

Reuniones como la de ayer, a la que no pudieron asistir todos los concejos que toman parte en esta ambiciosa idea, se irán repitiendo. La próxima ya está fechada para el próximo 8 de octubre en Piloña. «Tenemos que hacer los deberes y ponernos de acuerdo. Una vez hechos, daríamos el paso de hablar con la Consejería de Educación y Cultura para que nos apoye. además de elaborar un convenio de colaboración que no perjudique a ninguno de los consistorios», cerraba Emilio Ballesteros.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back