• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping along the route...

Joe90

Time of past OR future Camino
Completed my Camino Frances between 13th July and 6th August 2014
I will set of on my Pilgrim walk on July 11th 2014, I plan walk from France (after taking part in the bull run in Pamplona) and will mix staying in allergies and wild camping (camp sites also)
Any tips or pointers to good camping locations or what not to do?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I will set of on my Pilgrim walk on July 11th 2014, I plan walk from France (after taking part in the bull run in Pamplona) and will mix staying in
albergues
and
camping (camp sites also)

When we were in SJPDP in May there were at least ten tents in the Municipal park. Those people intended to camp along the trail for the entire trip. Met some campers along the way. Several told me there is a book that outlines places to camp, e.g. friendly farms. Don't know where one finds this book. Lot of city people like to sleep out under the stars a few times along the road , but they are not really camping--no tents, no cooking utensils. People walking with dogs are usually camping.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Unless you are walking with a dog or have reasons why can't stay in albergues, I really do not see the point of camping along the camino. For saving 6 euros a day, you have to pay a lot by carrying the weight of camping equipment when people are trying to shed ounces from their backpack. If you carry two extra pounds, it is extra 1000 pound-mile. (500 miles X 2 pounds)

Unless you are walking with a dog or have reasons why can't stay in albergues, I really do not see the point of camping along the camino. For saving 6 euros a day, you have to pay a lot by carrying the weight of camping equipment when people are trying to shed ounces from their backpack. If you carry two extra pounds, it is extra 1000 pound-mile. (500 miles X 2 pounds)

I think the idea for me was that at times, I may enjoy the odd night of solitude under the stars, other times I can enjoy the company of fellow Camino pilgrims and of course it would provide some independence if albergues are full. I get the 6 euros v weight, but it is not just that. however something for me to think about...

My husband and I also are thinking of camping out under the stars, too, bringing a small camp stove/kettle/coffee/dry camp food/sleeping mats. Let me know if you find legal camping spots! We start our journey mid-August '14.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My husband and I also are thinking of camping out under the stars, too, bringing a small camp stove/kettle/coffee/dry camp food/sleeping mats. Let me know if you find legal camping spots! We start our journey mid-August '14.

Sounds great, if I happen to find a good location/s I will pass on

One issue might be how you will charge your phone or camera. Always handy to be able to charge your phone overnight in the albergue.
The hostels are also a great place to chat and mingle with people. Also you have a shower and a toilet!
It could be possible to just sleep out under the stars on a couple of nights if you know it is going to be warm and dry.

I brought my tent and used it a handful of times while hiking the Camino this past spring. I would have used it more but I ended up with a Camino "family." On the plus side: you will avoid sharing hot rooms with 12-150 of your closest friends and all the smells and sounds that includes (there will be epic snoring); no worries about bed bugs; the privacy and serenity are very nice. I did actually camp on the grounds of some of the albergues; I paid their normal fee although some of them gave a discount. That allowed me to use their facilities without feeling like a freeloader. There are rules against setting up in parks. The albergues are very social and you will miss out on some of that. You can always eat with your friends before moving on to set up for the evening. I used a Lightheart tent which is under 2 pounds and a Neo-Air. The weight was not an issue since I am a long distance backpacker and my pack weight was below my usual (no need to haul food).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am also thinking of camping this time around also. I agree with your comments about why you want to do that. Charging my phone and camera are not that high on my list of priorities... In fact they are somewhere near the bottom of the list. I didn't even carry a phone on my last trip, it's doubtful I'd have one this trip. I may replace my old Iphone with an Ipod touch just for the wifi and music.

I brought my tent and used it a handful of times while hiking the Camino this past spring. I would have used it more but I ended up with a Camino "family." On the plus side: you will avoid sharing hot rooms with 12-150 of your closest friends and all the smells and sounds that includes (there will be epic snoring); no worries about bed bugs; the privacy and serenity are very nice. I did actually camp on the grounds of some of the albergues; I paid their normal fee although some of them gave a discount. That allowed me to use their facilities without feeling like a freeloader. There are rules against setting up in parks. The albergues are very social and you will miss out on some of that. You can always eat with your friends before moving on to set up for the evening. I used a Lightheart tent which is under 2 pounds and a Neo-Air. The weight was not an issue since I am a long distance backpacker and my pack weight was below my usual (no need to haul food).
I like the sound of that, it is what I am looking to do, the freedom to choose, either camp out where I want (within reason) or stay at the albergues, likewise my kit is suitable for purpose so weight not really the issue. thanks

One issue might be how you will charge your phone or camera. Always handy to be able to charge your phone overnight in the albergue.
The hostels are also a great place to chat and mingle with people. Also you have a shower and a toilet!
It could be possible to just sleep out under the stars on a couple of nights if you know it is going to be warm and dry.
I would imagine I will stay more often at a Albergue than camp out, thanks for your comments

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I will set of on my Pilgrim walk on July 11th 2014, I plan walk from France (after taking part in the bull run in Pamplona) and will mix staying in allergies and wild camping (camp sites also)
Hello Joe90.
For camp sites along the Camino have a look here.
Buen Camino
Jochen

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I went on my second camino in early July but this time only for a few days. The one thing I decided for when I come back is to bring a light small tent so I can enjoy the solitude and have a good sleep! I am a light sleeper and the constant moving and honking wakes me up and slowly leads to fatigue. I would appreciate any advice on the type of tents that are available. Weight is massively important but the quality needs to be there too.

If you are going this in summer, you could potentially take 2 ponchos, use one as a groundsheet and the other to cover... use walking poles to support the ends if there are no trees - and your washing line as guide ropes...

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.