• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I just wing it?

mustachefable

I've wanted to hike el camino for many years but every time I begin to research, I get overwhelmed with all the information I find. If I just arrive in Irun, can I start hiking without much prior research? I have a hard time wanting to read about the route. I just want to walk it. I speak fluent Spanish and I'm not shy to ask my way around. I also already have the CSJ guides for the entire ruta del norte.

Any simple suggestions or bare basic things that I shouldn't forget or must do before I come?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, and welcome to the forum,

Even a rabid planner like me realizes that the way to an enjoyable camino is being able to "wing it." Being tied to a schedule of definite days and stops makes for much less enjoyment and ability to really soak in what the Camino is doing to you. For those of us who don't have the luxury of booking a train or short flight home once we arrive in Santiago, some planning is necessary just because I have to pick a date for my return plane ticket. But I give myself some wiggle room days for winging it. :)

The only thing I would say about winging it on the Norte is that, at least when I walked, there wasn't so much flexibility in terms of finding albergues. People who wanted/needed to stay only in albergues didn't have as much freedom. Many of the towns along the norte are tourist towns, so there is always plenty of accommodation, it's just that in some of them the accommodation is more expensive than albergues.

I used the CSJ guides, nothing else, but was always happy to run into a German/Swiss/Flemish/Dutch pilgrim, all of whom usually had the German language guides, which are far superior. Speaking fluent Spanish makes things much easier, especially in the rural parts of this walk. Buen camino, you will love it! Laurie

Sounds to me like you've got it covered!

buen Camino,

Andy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Absolutely! The joy of walking without knowing what's ahead is fantastic.

I love the planning stage because it spreads the enjoyment of the pilgrimage over a longer period of time. However, I've learnt not to be prescriptive and to stop when it feels right and to keep walking on those days that I feel like I'm flying and could walk forever.

You do need to know how far it is till the next accommodation though. There's no point in continuing after you've already walked 30km if the next albergue is 20km away.

The first time I went on pilgrimage, I very carefully planned where I was going to stay and how far I thought I could walk in a day. Utter rubbish! How could I possibly know how far I could walk day after day until I started?

I followed my carefully thought-out plan for about 3 days and then it went in the bin.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A million thanks for asking the same question that I've been sitting on! I've been trying to read through the relevant threads in the forum, and was getting overwhelmed by how one could truly enjoy the route while trying to cover 20-30km in a day.

philsagal said:
A million thanks for asking the same question that I've been sitting on! I've been trying to read through the relevant threads in the forum, and was getting overwhelmed by how one could truly enjoy the route while trying to cover 20-30km in a day.

Yes! Me, too - and I'm convinced I'm ADD :wink: ; too much info overwhelms me as well. How does a person make choices--and so many choices to make: backpack, shoes, what to carry, what route, etc. I'd love to have the resources (read "$$$") to start at the beginning of whichever route I'd finally choose, enjoy a leisurely walk to each day's stopping place, and not have to worry about meeting a fixed date for a return flight to the U.S. IOW, just winging it.

As it is, I'm going today to REI to look at backpacks (I'm inclined toward the Osprey Kestrel, based on what I've read in this forum) and shoes (probably New Balance, based also on what I've read). And my goal is to go in September this year -- though what date to go, what date to return, what price fare, is still all a mystery to me.

I'm also grateful that the question was asked, and I'm looking forward to reading every reply to the question.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Of course. Wing it! - but you already know that - enjoy, you'll love it.

don't forget the prayer bit "a wing and a prayer" :wink:

I love this forum and all of the information. With my first Camino still 11 months away I walk vicariously with those already on the way, I learn from all, keep the anticipation high, and very much enjoy the preparation stages of any adventure.
But, I, too, get overwhelmed by all of the information, and so many conflicting opinions. In the end every decision is very personal, just like the Camino itself.
One issue that I am having is worry. Before I started reading the forum posts, I was only worried about finances and my dodgy knee. Now I am also worried about: fierce farm dogs, bed bugs, wild boars, head lice, masturbators and other perverts, pick pockets, full albergues, bears...
Sometimes I have to talk to myself out loud - "just go" "just go" "just go". The world is full of dangers and there is no point living in fear. That's not even living, is it?

Of course wing it.

You have the guides. You speak fluent Spanish. You are already ahead of me, and I am walking this May.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Janet Lee said:
I love this forum and all of the information. With my first Camino still 11 months away I walk vicariously with those already on the way, I learn from all, keep the anticipation high, and very much enjoy the preparation stages of any adventure.
But, I, too, get overwhelmed by all of the information, and so many conflicting opinions. In the end every decision is very personal, just like the Camino itself.
One issue that I am having is worry. Before I started reading the forum posts, I was only worried about finances and my dodgy knee. Now I am also worried about: fierce farm dogs, bed bugs, wild boars, head lice, masturbators and other perverts, pick pockets, full albergues, bears...
Sometimes I have to talk to myself out loud - "just go" "just go" "just go". The world is full of dangers and there is no point living in fear. That's not even living, is it?

Hi Janet
Just worry about your knee (in fact don't even worry about that -just go slower).
All the rest are less than one percenters. We did not strike any of these on our Camino and I think the majority of pilgrims /walkers will say the same
You will have the experience of your life and look back and think 'I have no idea why I was worried'
I guess if hundreds of people share their experiences on a forum like this you will always hear about the odd issue here and there but don't ever think these are common to everyone
Buen Camino
Ian

I will join the "wing-ers"! only concern is my sense of direction is not so keen and I am looking to take some of other routes to avoid traffic and asphalt, are the alternative routes marked, how would I know where to turn to get on the alternative route? Perhaps I should learn to say "I am a lost pilgrim. can I sleep in your barn tonight?" in spanish... :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
waywardMule said:
I will join the "wing-ers"! only concern is my sense of direction is not so keen and I am looking to take some of other routes to avoid traffic and asphalt, are the alternative routes marked, how would I know where to turn to get on the alternative route? Perhaps I should learn to say "I am a lost pilgrim. can I sleep in your barn tonight?" in spanish... :)

The Michelin map/guide is brilliant for that as the Camino is laid on real maps, so you can see exactly where you are in the landscape at any time - only weighs 84gms too!

"I am a lost pilgrim. can I sleep in your barn tonight?" in Spanish is
"Yo soy un peregrino perdido, puedo dormir con su hija esta noche?" - should see you ok :wink:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Okay, I don't speak Spanish fluently, but know enough that "dormir con su hija esta noche?" means SLEEP WITH YOUR DAUGHTER THIS NIGHT? You'll get the barn alright, and the boot, and maybe a gunshot :!:

Does anyone know if you can get a flight to Biaritz and join the del norte route? or is it only possible to get a bus to St J.PP. for the Frances route. Im not sure which route to take but I would prefer one closer to the sea as I can jump in for a refereshing swim whenever the chance is there ( as long as somone minds my bag) Thanks . Darragh

The Camino del Norte begins near Bayonne/Biarritz. You can walk it, take a local bus, or take a taxi.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The local bus goes only to Bidart. The train will get you from the Bayonne station to Irun. Different trains run on different days. One week of schedules:

BAYONNE > IRUN
08h44 direct 09h40 00h56 - 02
10h42 direct 11h27 00h45 - 03
10h42 direct 11h27 00h45 - 01
TGV 14h00 direct 14h46 00h46 - 06
TGV 14h00 direct 14h46 00h46 - 07

01 Seulement 29/05/2012
02 Seulement 26/05/2012, 28/05/2012, 29/05/2012
03 Seulement 26/05/2012
06 Seulement 23/05/2012, 24/05/2012, 27/05/2012-30/05/2012
07 Seulement 25/05/2012, 26/05/2012

BIARRITZ > IRUN
08h59 direct 09h40 00h41 - 02
10h54 direct 11h27 00h33 - 03
10h54 direct 11h27 00h33 - 01
TGV 14h13 direct 14h46 00h33 - 06
TGV 14h13 direct 14h46 00h33 - 07

01 Seulement 29/05/2012
02 Seulement 26/05/2012, 28/05/2012, 29/05/2012
03 Seulement 26/05/2012
06 Seulement 23/05/2012, 24/05/2012,
27/05/2012-30/05/2012
07 Seulement 25/05/2012, 26/05/2012

@Mustachefable, I wholeheartedly add my voice to the wing-it camp, or as I prefer to call it, walking with an open heart and mind, and allowing the Camino to guide you and provide for all your needs...

Buen camino! :)
Mony

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When people on this forum are talking about "winging it"... do you mean you just start walking and that's it? Or do you have to at least make some basic reservations of sorts?

I am thinking on just getting on a plane with my equipment and just start walking....

Just want to make sure that winging it is that... just start walking, no plans, no idea where you will sleep or eat...

I'm pretty much just going to wing it. I will have a list of highly recommended things to see/places to stay/eat along the route, but other than that, I'm just heading out.

The Michelin map is for the Camino Frances (I guess you are talking about the small booklet with all the map from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago). Does anyone know if there is such a map for the Camino del Norte / Camino Primitivo?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome to the forum Cuberdon!
Others may know where to buy a map of the Norte. There are however outline maps on various websites. :- the best site we have found is here -
http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiag ... -norte.htm
The Eroski site gradient outlines are not accurate!
Some kind of guide is helpful but not essential -
Just go!!!

Blessings on your walking
Tio Tel

When people on this forum are talking about "winging it"?
It is to show that they are free spirits. Then they blog, write a journal, and even write a book about "winging it." I think that is just obsession deferred, not obsession avoided! :mrgreen:

The core message is to be sufficiently flexible that you don't spend all your time on the Camino trying to meet deadlines and expectations. It is much more relaxing to "wing it," and much easier on your body.

Personally, I don't like to walk in total ignorance. I like to know the terrain and accommodations ahead so that I can make good decisions about stopping or continuing. On the other hand, I stop in a lot of bars for a coffee without a lot of planning!

Hi everyone, great thread...

Twenty years ago I was browsing in a book store in Katmandu when I came across a title that fascinated me: "Being Nobody, Going Nowhere." I never read the book but the title stayed with me.

On my Camino I will carry a brochure available at the tourist office in Bilbao and other towns along the route. <http://tourism.euskadi.net> In the brochure there are write ups on towns and villages along the route with recommendations about what churches and shrines to visit. There's also lots of maps with alternative routes.

I hope to keep that book title in mind as I walk and learn from the Camino. We'll see if I get to Santiago de Compostela...or end up in back in Katmandu.

Buen Camino,
Giles

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm planning to walk about two weeks from Leon to Santiago. Because I'm arriving Granada, leaving Spain from Barcelona I do have some travel dates to deal with. Trying to build in some flexibility. I tend to be a planner, but trying not to over-plan and get used to the idea of winging it as much as possible. These posts have been helpful to encourage a sense of trust and adventure.
ron3

Hi Gilespenn,
I bet the name of that bookshop in Kathmandu is 'Pilgrims', close to Kathmandu Guest House.
It's where I saw a book titled 'The Ten Best Walks in the World' and no 1 walk was Camino de Santiago and was the precurser to my two Caminos. Apppropriate.

David,
You know I think you are right, it was that famous Pilgrims Book House in Thema. Pretty mysterious place, Katmandu (as is the Camino). The student I had with me in those Nepal days is the same one who showed up at my home (21 years later and independently wealthy) and gave me the money to do the Camino. He insisted I go. Strange coincidences...
Buen Camino,
Giles

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi everyone,
To bring this thread back to the question (sorry about that detour to Nepal), in my research it seems most of the private peregrino albergues accept reservations. Most of you who responded to the question whether to wing it or not, seem to be pilgrims who would rather not be bothered with that kind of Camino. There seems to be a special quality about the way done more spontaneously.

I will see how it works. Thanks for all the encouragement,
Giles

most of the private peregrino albergues
I don't have an exact number, but I don't think "most" will take reservations. In towns with multiple albergues, you can find one that does, and the more the competition, the more likely it is that reservations are possible.

Even Red Albergue system albergues are a mixed bag.

I would love to win the it this coming September....If I could figure out how to post beyond responding to someone else's post would help....can someone help me???????

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
pennyr said:
I would love to win the it this coming September....If I could figure out how to post beyond responding to someone else's post would help....can someone help me???????

When you're logged in, in the forum you want to post in, at the top of the list of threads is a button that says "new topic". Click it.

ronhenry2 said:
I'm planning to walk about two weeks from Leon to Santiago. Because I'm arriving Granada, leaving Spain from Barcelona I do have some travel dates to deal with. Trying to build in some flexibility. I tend to be a planner, but trying not to over-plan and get used to the idea of winging it as much as possible. These posts have been helpful to encourage a sense of trust and adventure.
ron3
OK, so that's what I wrote last June. I walked about the last 175 miles of the Camino in mid-September. I had made some tentative plans about how far to walk each day and which villages/towns to stop for the night, but fortunately made no reservations. My tentative plans fell apart on the second day. I winged it from there on and did great. I'm now thinking of going back and doing the earlier parts of the Camino. And if I do, I will definitely wing it. I would hate to be tied down to a schedule for each night. BTW my experience last September was one of the highlights of my life!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My tentative plans fell apart on the second day.
That is typical. The point of the plan is more to know what can be done in a particular time frame than an obligation to do it that way. Without the plan, or without some sort of guide, there is no way to know what the next step will obligate you to -- one kilometer or fifteen. The Red Albergue system publishes an annual folding map that shows all the distances between accommodations emphasizing the ones that are part of its system. It is all you need to know about stops, and it is free. There are several other such guides that can be found in tourist offices. You won't know the scope of accommodations or the historic points you are passing without a more extensive guidebook. If you don't care about such arcana, don't take a guidebook! I wanted to stop at several small, obscure albergues on my last outing. Virtually all of them were closed. My Brierley's let me know the immediately available alternatives (some of which were closed!).

It has always been the walkers without guidance who have asked to have a look at my Brierley's. I am always willing to share it, but it gives me an inner smile. The "totally liberated" are rarely any more liberated than I, except in lip service. Chacun a son gout.

I agree with Falcon 269. When I said I winged it, it didn't mean that I had no information about how far the next village was, how far to accommodations and options, etc. I agree also that it's a good idea to estimate how far, on average, you will make it each day, so that you can make your travel plans (and build in some flexibility if possible). I had Brierley's and highly recommend it. It definitely got me out of a couple of binds when, for various reasons, I was obviously not going to get as far as anticipated that day. You will learn as you go (I did) and you and others will help each other out. There's a saying in Spanish, "El camino siempre sorprende." (The camino always surprises.) Be as open as you can to these surprises--it will make for a great experience.

It's funny, because once I read this thread and thought about it, it only now dawned on me that I was a "winger" too! I walked pre-Internet and had a guidebook and only the faintest idea of what I was signing up for. There's a steep learning curve in the first week that really can't be "pre-learned" except by doing. After that first week, I can guarantee you'll be ready and inclined to advise the next newbie you meet. 8)

As for the list of collective challenges that this forum brings up, it makes the Camino sound much more action-packed than it truly is- I would say the two biggest challenges are boredom and fatigue/injury. And yet those are just the challenges to help you discover who you really are.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Planning is part of the fun, throwing away the plan once you're underway is even better as it is tremendously liberating.

I always like to know how far it is to the next village and whether there will be a bar, shop or albergue there. When I set out for the first time, I fully expected to do a lot of sightseeing but found that my pilgrim self and my tourist self are not a good fit. I like to sit and absorb the atmosphere in the churches along the way (if they're open) but that's the extent of my sightseeing. That has its advantages because it means I don't need to carry a weighty guidebook.

When I was researching the Camino for my first pilgrimage, I was fortunate to have the advantage of the internet. I didn't, however, know about the existence of the Forum nor did I know anyone who had been on pilgrimage.

It seems now that there is so much information available that this presents problems in itself as it builds the expectation that everything can be, in fact should be, known before setting out. I wonder whether it also builds up expectations of an amazing life-changing experience. The Camino was certainly that for me but I'm glad that I set out in relative ignorance about what was ahead of me.

This is a great thread and has put my mind at ease about my approach to 'Wing-ing" it aswell.
Camino de Norte is my first Camino and I was a little baffled by the volume of topics and information. So, I thought to myself "get a map and see where you end up along the route" ( apart from a few reccomendations from friends about restuarants, bars and cultural sites).

I'm leaving Dublin for Bilbao on the 25th of April and hope to be in Santiago de Compostela by 30th of May. It would be great to know if anybody else on the forum would be walking the route over the course of that month or so.

Thanks to all the Wingers for their encouraging posts!

We too like to plan our proposed stages, places to see etc but are prepared to change our plans as needed. Walking short distances daily given flexibility is great. If we want to be sure of a bed we book ahead the evening before. Busy planning for this year.

Frank we have sent you a PM

Attachments

• rucksack 2.jpg
    rucksack 2.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 2,016
I believe one can do the Camino in the way you feel is right for you. Some like to plan down to the nth degree, others don't even carry any guidebook. I am more of a planner in terms of knowing what the distance is between locations - - the rest is optional.

I do need to know when I arrive somewhere, if the NEXT available albergue is 5 or 15 km - this way I can decide whether my body can manage that additional distance. As far as planning where i need to be or where to stop, I tended to be a bit more flexible. This was easily done on my own, bt when I met my French Camino friends, and we decided to walk as a group, this was a bit more challenging.

I did let me go ahead a few times since I had to listen to my body, and I caught up with them the following day. This year we are walking again as a group, and I KNOW for a fact that we will need to be very flexible with locations and meet ups, since some of us are walking with limitations.

However way you decide to do the Camino, if you chose to walk the Camino Frances, there are little chances of you getting lost (those arrows are everywhere) and you will find accomodations just about everywhere... if there are no albergues close by, many of the locals will take you in and a donation will often be refused, although I always made it a point to offer (I relied on locals a few times during my last Camino).

Buen Camino - and trust that the Camino... will provide!

I wing it too and like it that way. I may or may not lose people along the way but then meet new ones. It's all part of the adventure. I would like, though, to know when I go through a particular place if there is a highlight of that town or village not to miss.
Lillian

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Even planners find that they have to let go and "wing it" on occasion. Those can be the best times. I admire your desire to do that. You got my vote!! Just do it and let the good times roll.

I'm going to basically wing it from Irun to Granon by way of the Tunnel Route. I can read a map (not that one can find a real topo in Spain) and use a compass. My Spanish is decent, I know up from down; sun rises in the east sets in the west; which end of a horse is which. The important things. It's very hard to get lost in the world anymore really. Just don't panic whatever happens. Carry some food and a way to purify some water (I always carry a few ounces of bleach). Someone will find you eventually and point you in the right direction.
The early pilgrims were following the stars. That's not a myth, that's a fact. In the sad history of American slavery, safety was north and runaways followed the Big Dipper because Polaris (the north star) never moved in the night sky. They called it the Drinking Gourd.
Have fun!!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back