• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Choosing a Pack

Charlie Mason

I already have a Kelty Redwing 50 that I think would be fine for the Camino but am worried wether I can carry it on. Any suggestions on alternative packs?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I already have a Kelty Redwing 50 that I think would be fine for the Camino but am worried wether I can carry it on. Any suggestions on alternative packs?
If you pack it lightly, you probably can carry it in. I have made two international trips with a 58l pack and got it on all planes. Out of 10 flights, only one asked me to check it at the gate for plane-side pickup after arrival. It easily fit large plane overheads and fit but was tighter in smaller planes. Recommend you test pack it and see how small you can squish it. Buying another pack is almost certainly unnecessary unless you just want something new.

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml - perfection for the Camino - 50L'ish in size, weighs around a pound, has the features you need and was easy to carry on - used mine in April / May this year...FYI...frame is easily removable and can be put inside diagonally to make pack roll down to less than 20 inches in height...

previously used an Osprey Atmos 50L on the Camino - zPacks was much better...

note - you'll still need to have a total base weight under the carry-on limit which is usually around 20 pounds / 10 kilo...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree that not filling it and squeezing it down would make it fit as a carry on. My thinking is if your Kelty is tried and true, you know it fits and is comfortable, you are used to the pockets and packing/unpacking, then that's the one you need to take.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I carried a Kelty Redwing 50 on my Camino last fall, and carried it as cabin luggage on Air France from the US without a problem. The dimensions allowed were 55 cm (l) x 35 cm (w) x 25 cm (h) – including pockets, wheels, and handles, which, in inches is 21.7 x 13.8 x 9.88. Fully loaded,the Redwing was a little too big, but I used luggage straps as compression straps (discarded them on arrival), got it down to the allowed size, and had no problems taking it as carry on luggage.

For my next Camino I have bought an REI Flash 45. It's only 5 L smaller, and a lot lighter at 34 oz, but it may be a little taller than the Redwing. Not sure if it will compress down to carry on size or not. I don't find it quite as comfortable as the Kelty, although the weight savings may make up for this. Time and training will tell.

Karl

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Regarding backpacks as carry-ons for flights, we carried ours with no problems, but we did do the following:
1. Packed trekking poles, Swiss army knife, and other non-allowable items in cardboard tubes and checked them.
2. To compress the backpacks down to carry-on size, we took a few essential items (toiletries, change of underwear and socks, rain gear, camera, cell phone, snack bars and 1/2-litre water bottle) in a small, stowable daypack (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Products-Packable-Day-Pack/26700608)
3. Stowed the larger backpacks in the overhead bin and the smaller daypacks under the seat. Ditto for the bus from Madrid to SJPP, where the big bags went in the luggage bins of the bus and the daypacks stayed inside with us.

We weren't too worried about the checked items being misplaced during the flights over from the US, but those items could be easily replaced in Spain if necessary. And if, at the gate, the airline made us gate-check the backpacks, we at least had a few essentials with us at all times in the daypacks.

The small daypacks we used weigh only 3.7 oz/104 g and compress down into a small ball slightly smaller than a softball. On the Camino, they came in handy for carrying things -- mainly food items -- picked up in the local markets when shopping in the evenings or for carrying raingear, etc when doing the tourist thing in the larger cities when we took rest days. They are also handy to carry with you if you occasionally have your larger bag transported while walking, although they are very flimsy and probably would not hold up to continued use in that manner. Plus, you could put a jacket and some softer clothes in them and use them for a pillow if necessary.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back