• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Chubby asthmatic :)

limor

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2014
Hello everyone,

I plan to walk the camino this September. Unfortunately I only have time for the last week, from Sarria to Santiago. I’m not really fit ... how difficult is it?

Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
.שלום לימור Greetings from Jerusalem!
The hardest bit will be walking up the stairs into Portomarin! Enjoy the beautiful countryside considering the towns less said is better. Plenty of albergues so you don't have to complete the recommended stops if you are feeling tired. Avoid the so called Pilgrim's Pavillion Os Chacotes just before Palas de Rei -very new but its a modern day version of Dante's Inferno. IKts a shame you only have a week, just when you feet stop hurting you will walk into Santiago! Buen Camino!
מיקי

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Unfortunately I only have time for the last week, from Sarria to Santiago. I’m not really fit ... how difficult is it?
Here is the profile. It has some ups and downs, but fewer than earlier on the route. Many pilgrims have been walking for a month when they get to Sarria, so find the last segment relatively easy. However, starting in Sarria it may present a bit of a challenge for you! Buen camino.

upload_2014-8-20_14-19-9.png

Hello Limor just be aware that some of the albergues are solid stone walls and may well have a dampness in the air you breath at night (which may or may not trigger your asthma depending on how severe you suffer) There are of course alternative places to stay so it is possible for you to avoid them.
Buen camino have a wonderful week's adventure.:)

Hello Limor, this isn't meant to sound discouraging or spiteful but if you are not in shape why would you undertake this journey. I don't believe anyone needs to be a trained athlete to complete the Camino but you open yourself up to many possible injuries if you are not some what physically prepared to walk 63 +miles. Over the last couple of years it seems like the number of serious injuries are on the rise. (of course there is more people walking but)..... things like knee injuries or foot issues don't go away when you get home.

You are the only one who knows your body and what it's capable of. So many times you see responses of encouragement and comments like the Camino cares for the pilgrim, or go and enjoy, and oh I know someone who did it and they had some illness but it is not enjoyable or easy if you are hurt. Having one Camino come to an abrupt halt because of a partners injury was a psychological kick in the head.

Maybe take some time train , see how your body reacts. If you are not a walker or familiar with long hikes you might want to plan for a Camino in the future.

Limor you are the only one who can answer your question.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
...this isn't meant to sound discouraging... but if you are not in shape why would you undertake this journey. QUOTE]

Except that it does.

Because she is perhaps intrigued and has the time and wants to go.

Limor, consult with your physician first of course, but if you get the go-ahead - GO! Above all, take it slow and listen to your body. Pack lightly! I cannot stress this enough. Take walking poles with you if you can, they help immeasurably on the inclines but most especially on the declines.

So go and get your taste of the camino and Buen Camino to you.

Sheesh said,
Pack lightly! I cannot stress this enough.

OK...I'll stress this a lot.

Packing for a Camino,

1. Do you have a pack already? Is it your Dad's from any recent, or ancient conflict?
A. Did you get it from a friend?
B. Did a salesman in a hardware store convince you that's it perfect for any type of hiking?
If the pack can hold 30 kg/66lbs...believe me you will try to fill it.
Read the threads in the Forum on what to pack and how to reduce overall pack weight.
Then, follow this simple gauge:
1. Remove anything you think you "might" need.
2. Replace personal hygiene items with travel size. You can replace along the Way.
3. Repack and weigh...should be about 10% of your body weight...not counting water and some food for snacking between albergues.
4. Really, remove anything you think you might need.
5. The night before you depart...HONEST...remove anything you think you might need.
6. Repack
Have a great Camino...the Camino is with you all the Way.

Buen Camino,

Arn

May You be Blessed in your decision, Your heart will decide you can,,always, your head... will argue.
somewhere in between lies your path.
Peace

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello everyone,

I plan to walk the camino this September. Unfortunately I only have time for the last week, from Sarria to Santiago. I’m not really fit ... how difficult is it?

Thanks

I saw all shapes and sizes of people on the Camino - you are going to love it! I am a fat old man ....... if I can do it you can :)

Just make sure your boots or shoes are worn in first. If they're not then wear them everywhere you go between now and when you leave. This'll help minimize or highlight any potential foot problems. Just travel at your own pace and you should be fine. You'll have a great time.
Buen Camino

Thanks everyone for the encouraging responses.
My main concern is about the uphill roads... but I'll just take it slowly (and keep my backpack extra light)
The Camino is the first thing ever that made me exercise, so that's already a good thing!
Peace :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sheesh said,

OK...I'll stress this a lot.

Packing for a Camino,

1. Do you have a pack already? Is it your Dad's from any recent, or ancient conflict?
A. Did you get it from a friend?
B. Did a salesman in a hardware store convince you that's it perfect for any type of hiking?
If the pack can hold 30 kg/66lbs...believe me you will try to fill it.
Read the threads in the Forum on what to pack and how to reduce overall pack weight.
Then, follow this simple gauge:
1. Remove anything you think you "might" need.
2. Replace personal hygiene items with travel size. You can replace along the Way.
3. Repack and weigh...should be about 10% of your body weight...not counting water and some food for snacking between albergues.
4. Really, remove anything you think you might need.
5. The night before you depart...HONEST...remove anything you think you might need.
6. Repack
Have a great Camino...the Camino is with you all the Way.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Have to say something about # 2. I take travelsize shampoo, shaving oil, sunprotection, but i have never found any travelsize along the way.

I was always forced to buy a full bottle of whatever. Then i just ended up re-filling my travelsize and either throw or give the remainders of the big bottles away.

Where to buy travelsize? Has anyone ever seen them?

Thanks everyone for the encouraging responses.
My main concern is about the uphill roads... but I'll just take it slowly (and keep my backpack extra light)
The Camino is the first thing ever that made me exercise, so that's already a good thing!
Peace :)

Uphill just seems tough and yes, can be exhausting sometimes, but going down again is much harder on the body. Maybe not so tiring as going up, but unknowingly it asks alot more of your body then going up.

I start my with travel sized toiletries (shampoo aside...I purchase the smallest size usually about 6-9 oz that serves for washing, hair, etc.). The smaller bottles will last me two weeks. No singing in the shower for me. And, a mouth full of toothpaste it too much, use sparingly.

limor is traveling from Sarria and should easily replace anything along the Way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Just a general question: who has found travelsize toiletries along the way.

Hello everyone,

Thanks
Hey from one chubby asthmatic to another!! And an ancient one at that!! Of course you can!! Believe me...this I know a little bit about...you absolutely can. Just remember you inhaler(s) and you will be absolutely fine. I was on the Portuguese in 08 and solo on the Frances in '11. And going again in September. So if a chubby, asthmatic grandmother can you can. And don't let those stairs in Portomarin scare you...they're nuttin but a flight of stairs!

Welcome and Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back