• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2014

DeadFred

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean-Los Arcos ,Sept, Oct 14'
Los Arcos - Logrono-May16'
Next Logrono to ? - Sept 2019
The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:
It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there is a significant number of fellow pilgrims in the mid-to-final stages of the planning for their Camino.
I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.
It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we peregrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2014?
Buen Camino
Arn

I have been searching the forum for a "Class of 2014" page couldn't find one so I took charge :lol: Ivar , if somehow I missed the 2014 page please feel free to delete this.. but first let me know where it's located. With that said ...

Hi , I am Joe from Springdale Arkansas. Laurie and I are in training for our trek from SJPdP to SdC ,scheduled to leave Sept 2014 for our 35th Wedding Anniversary ( was May but seems Oct has less rain?) . Counting the many days until that time. Walking much up hill & down holler to get our bones tuned up and leg muscles primed.

I want to thank you Ivar for this forum , been lurking here for a few weeks now with just a few postings to test the waters. a Tremendous wealth of information .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Narrowed to sometime during the first 2 weeks in September Ivar.. don't want TO much heat ,as we get plenty here in Arkansas and would like cooler climes while treking. Thinking 2 days to cross to Rancasvalles which hopefully will be cool... then take our time to enjoy the other 490 miles , smell a few roses along The Way.

ivar said:
Perfect!

Love it that people start to plan early... when in 2014 are you planning to walk?

Greetings from Santiago with 30c heat and sun.... not complaining!
Ivar

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ivar,

We are also planning 2014, however our dates under CURRENT discussion are early April thru May starting from SJPP. We are a bit older so we are planning 45 days. We are concerned about the weather during that time frame. Our research shows about 19 days per month of rain. Is that your experience? Heavy rains or drizzles? Cold, cool or warm?
Marly & Harold Wilson
Naples, Florida

Hkirkwil said:
Ivar,

We are also planning 2014, however our dates under CURRENT discussion are early April thru May starting from SJPP. We are a bit older so we are planning 45 days. We are concerned about the weather during that time frame. Our research shows about 19 days per month of rain. Is that your experience? Heavy rains or drizzles? Cold, cool or warm?
Marly & Harold Wilson
Naples, Florida
Hi Marly and Harold!

There is just no certainty at that time of year, so you have to be prepared for anything. You'll probably get a mix. Last year April/May was perfect walking weather, but this year there has been more rain (great for the farmers who really need it!). It could be hot, but shouldn't be very cold during the day, but remember that wind can make it feel cooler. For the night I'd suggest taking a compact sleeping bag rather than just a liner.

On the positive side, spring is beautiful. Wild flowers and shifting light. Amazing! You'll love it!

Buen Camino!

Hkirkwil said:
Ivar,

Marly & Harold Wilson
Naples, Florida

Hello Marly and Harold,

Planning for your Camino is always a great joy. You will find many helpful hints on the Forum. Past pilgrims who are Forum members are always eager to share their experiences and advice.

You asked about the weather in April. This year there was a great deal of heavy rain and snow in the mountains. Needless to say you must be prepared with warm items in your kit. Once on the Camino it is a good idea to ask the hospitalero each night about the forecast for the next day.

I, too, am an older pilgrim. Usually it takes me 55 days to walk from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago and on to Finisterre. Because of my age I average 20km a day. Be sure to check the Forum thread for Over 60's compiled by some of us senior pilgrims.

Whenever you do walk the Camino started slowly and go easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! Easy does it. Anybody any moment can fall or pull or break anything. The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much!

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Margaret

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My husband and I are hoping to leave some time in May of 2014 for our Camino. We plan to do the Frances from SJPP to Finisterre. I have already started to walk to condition myself somewhat but I will be 56 when we finally are able to go and I have an increasingly bum hip so who knows.

I bought poles to help with my training and I am currently on the search for appropriate shoes/boots. I bought a pair of keen hiking boots but didn't know about the +1 size up when I bought them so, while they fit, they do tend to become problematic after extended mileage ... anything after 6+ km I think my feet do indeed start to swell and my toes do contact the end of the boot ... lesson learned. I subsequently bought some nice new balance walking show 1/2 size larger than I normally get and while they are nice I am thinking they will be more useful for shorter neighbourhood walks or everyday. I am now waiting on my local New Balance store to get my size +1 more for insurance, in stock for the new Balance hiking shoe/boot. It 's little bit lower than a mid height Boot so sort of a cross between a mid height boot and a shoe and has goretex for waterproofing. Unfortunately I have rather large feet and usually get a size 10 ladies ... but I struggle to find good fitting footwear and even 10's can often be too small ... the New Balance hiking boot I am waiting for will be a size 11. I am hopeful that one will do the trick cause this is getting rather expensive!

Mysticl .. Laurie & I are training too. Slowly as not to bruise or break anything along the way .. I will be 68 and she 55 when our feet meet the Route Neapolitan . We are walking approx 20 miles a week with moderate hills . Laurie bought me a nice set of Treking poles but they make a great clatter when I use them so will put them aside until we start the weekend treking in a few months .

Our plan for 2012 is to build stamina then by this time next year start tackling the big hills. On our list for help along the way is a physical therapist, a podiatrist also my cardiologst ( I have 3 stints) and family doctor. Laurie is coming to protect me from myself :? as I tend to overdo things.

We are excited but cautious. There will be no watches on this trip ..no plans beyond the travel schedule over and back + reserving a room in SJPdP and Orission. We plan to let life happen , rain or shine.

Good luck with your training and plans .. its seems such a long way off but it will come on quick . This forum is fantastic for getting to know the Camino and the folks that trek it. Looks like we are in good company

Mysticl said:
My husband and I are hoping to leave some time in May of 2014 for our Camino. We plan to do the Frances from SJPP to Finisterre. I have already started to walk to condition myself somewhat but I will be 56 when we finally are able to go and I have an increasingly bum hip so who knows.

I bought poles to help with my training and I am currently on the search for appropriate shoes/boots. I bought a pair of keen hiking boots but didn't know about the +1 size up when I bought them so, while they fit, they do tend to become problematic after extended mileage ... anything after 6+ km I think my feet do indeed start to swell and my toes do contact the end of the boot ... lesson learned. I subsequently bought some nice new balance walking show 1/2 size larger than I normally get and while they are nice I am thinking they will be more useful for shorter neighbourhood walks or everyday. I am now waiting on my local New Balance store to get my size +1 more for insurance, in stock for the new Balance hiking shoe/boot. It 's little bit lower than a mid height Boot so sort of a cross between a mid height boot and a shoe and has goretex for waterproofing. Unfortunately I have rather large feet and usually get a size 10 ladies ... but I struggle to find good fitting footwear and even 10's can often be too small ... the New Balance hiking boot I am waiting for will be a size 11. I am hopeful that one will do the trick cause this is getting rather expensive!

Hello Deadfred, Tyrrek & Mysticl..and all others planning for 2014!
Regardless when you go in 2014 you will most likely meet Marly & me on the Camino. We are planning an April 2014 departure from SJPP...however, at that time I will be turning 76 and Marly will be 74...so, will take us a while to complete. So, if you see a couple of "turtles" trudging along, that will be us.

Marly & Harold
Naples, Florida

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Marly & Harold .. Our Sept start will , without a doubt,be long after you have finished up and are home once again . If by chance we DO meet you both in route, Laurie & I extend an invite to dinner on us. But we insist during our meal you tell us all about your experience of 6 months on the Camino :D

Hkirkwil said:
Hello Deadfred, Tyrrek & Mysticl..and all others planning for 2014!
Regardless when you go in 2014 you will most likely meet Marly & me on the Camino. We are planning an April 2014 departure from SJPP...however, at that time I will be turning 76 and Marly will be 74...so, will take us a while to complete. So, if you see a couple of "turtles" trudging along, that will be us.

Marly & Harold
Naples, Florida

My husband and I are also preparing to walk from SJPP to Santiago in May/June 2014. We are both protestant pastors in our mid-50's and will be taking a sabbatical in order to do the pilgrimage. The camino is that thing I've longed all my life to do, but never realized it until just recently. I'd say I can hardly wait, but I'm learning that the journey begins even now with the preparation. Thanks for being a part of our journey. Buen Camino! Sharon.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just saw the movie "The Way" and have been inspired ever since. I am planning my pilgrimage starting on my 58th birthday (8/31/14) I can't wait!!

I have a friend that says she would do it with me, but the more I think about it, I would like to do it on my own. She's a much faster walker than I am. Maybe we can walk seperately and meet up at the end of the day? We have two years to figure it out.

I've started telling my friends and I'm getting mixed reviews. (I'm over weight and that worries my friends) But like I said, I have two years to get into shape, get my knee's working better and prepare for my journey.

I'm so inspired by the posts I have read so far on here. This is a great blog!!

Teri

Terioz56 said:
I have a friend that says she would do it with me, but the more I think about it, I would like to do it on my own. She's a much faster walker than I am. Maybe we can walk seperately and meet up at the end of the day? We have two years to figure it out.
Hi Teri!

It's fine to walk at a different pace. Expect that! You'll both be perfectly safe on your own, and can just catch up at lunchtime and/or at the end of the day. Just make sure you have a mobile phone and all will be well. In fact, she might end up doing the hard work finding rooms etc, so take your time and stroll up an hour or so later! :twisted:

On fitness, if you can do some work before you go that will obviously be beneficial. However one of the most enjoyable things about the Camino is feeling your body respond and adapt. As always, take things easy at the start and if you have any serious concerns beforehand take advice. You'll have a fantastic time!

Buen Camino!

Hello everyone!

I am planning to plant my first step upon the Camino May 23, 2014...my 55th birthday! So yesterday ( my 53rd BD) I officially began my journey toward the journey. Two years may seem a long time, but I am going to take the same attitude with this journey as I will with the actual walk: explore, take time, have patience.

First steps are:

1. Research, research, research! Forums, books, movies...basically whatever I can get my hands upon. I won't be rushing out to buy any gear except boots and socks right now. No time like the present to learn blister control!

2. Take Spanish language classes. Luckily I live in an area with a high Hispanic population....lots of great opportunities to practice!

3. Step up my yoga practice. Walking is just half of what I will need to keep going. The other half is inducing my muscles to stretch out and relax when it is time to rest. I will need as much flexibility as agility.

4. Walk. Lots. Everywhere.

I will be doing the Camino alone and will be utilizing 60 days in order to give myself a whole lot of options regarding how the trip will unfold.

So....that's the plan. God, is that you laughing?? :lol:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I love this thread! It is so inspiring to read everyone's stories. I will travel next year with my hubby. I am overweight, out of shape and have been practice walking. I live in NYC with no car so I am no stranger to walking--everywhere. But long distance is thoperative word here. I have had several 7 mile walks at the beach, along the blvd and it has been surprisingly easy. I wear my boots to make sure they are broken in and no pack yet. I love walking in my city! I am exhilarated as I know this art is just as much my camino as will be the actual spain trip. I meet people, I stop and look at my surroundings with new eyes. I bring along my rosary and pray, have quite a prayer list and just remember them all! I want to live life as a pilgrim, each day. I want to live in gratitude.

Buen CAMINO all!

Hello Mariposa,

Welcome to the Forum! There is a wonderful wealth of information here to help you plan your future Camino. Ask lots of questions if you like. Past pilgrims enjoy giving advice and sharing their adventures. Such sharing is a large part of the Camino spirit; besides being informative for future pilgrims it help keeps memories current for experienced pilgrims as we recall our journeys anew.

Half a lifetime ago I, too, lived in NYC. Walking was a wonderful way to discover the hidden city and enjoy its many neighborhoods, nooks and crannies. Your walks in hiking boots will be a great way for you to prepare for walking in Spain.

Which Camino route do you plan to follow? At what time of year? Since great heat and high humidity are NOT my thing I have always walked in autumn and winter. Each Camino season, however, has its own special magic.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret

PS Give my regards to Broadway!

pastorsharon said:
My husband and I are also preparing to walk from SJPP to Santiago in May/June 2014. We are both protestant pastors in our mid-50's and will be taking a sabbatical in order to do the pilgrimage. The camino is that thing I've longed all my life to do, but never realized it until just recently. I'd say I can hardly wait, but I'm learning that the journey begins even now with the preparation. Thanks for being a part of our journey. Buen Camino! Sharon.

Hi Sharon! I hope to get a chance to meet both of you as it seems we will be traveling the path together at the same time of year!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Class of 2014 :)

My husband and I will be walking in October/November 2014 to celebrate my 40th birthday. He turned 40 last year and we did a 2 week Beer Pilgrimage in Germany and Czech Republic. Ok - so it was a trip that I planned myself and just called it a Pilgimage, but we did drink at a couple monasteries and we walked a heck of a lot - that counts, right? Pilgrimage, yes? We even walked TO a monastery.

I decided that I needed something big to celebrate my milestone birthday as well. Since I had been facinated by the Camino for awhile, I decided that it was just the thing. And as a woman, the prospect of turning 40 can be rather daunting, so what better way to enter the 40s than to go on a spiritual quest that requires a person to get into really good physical shape? Forties-schmorties.

I don't know how much of the Camino de Frances we will be able to do - it really depends on how much time we can manage to get off from work. I think we will be able to do 200-300 km.

Hi! I'm Anastasia from California. I'm planning to walk the last 100km in May 2014 for my 50th birthday. I'm hoping to drag a friend along. Most of my friends think I'm crazy so I was very happy to find this forum.

As I read these posts I can see the magic of the Camino has already started.

My partner and I plan to start walking the Camino Frances in mid-April 2014 just after my retirement. I want an opportunity to "reset" and reflect on what will be the next phase of my life. My partner is looking at this as an opportunity for us to reconnect as a couple as we begin this phase (she has been retired for 7 years).

What is amazing is that it has already given us focus. I am 56 and she is 62 and we have never been particularly active. Having a goal has inspired us. We are looking for opportunities to walk (our goal this summer is 15 km comfortably - we will add packs next summer) and exploring exercise programs to maintain our fitness over the winter (we are Canadian). We're going to try yoga first and then aquafitness. And then maybe both. And we'll take Spanish lessons this winter as well.

So, even if for some reason we can't do it, the Camino will still have had a positive impact on our lives.

I am planning either a late Spring or early Fall Camino in 2014. My dates are fairly flexible at this point. I am in the same boat with the person who indicated that their friends think that they are crazy. I am already reaching out to the very few of them who I think might even remotely consider joining me on this adventure. I am also right there with the "camino has already started" aspect. I am enjoying this forum for that very reason! I Like the couple who is planning to walk, I am also looking into ways to improve my fitness level. Although I walk a couple of miles every day and enjoy hiking and backpacking, I do not currently hike enough to get myself up to a level where it's not a physical challenge every time I do an intermediate-level trail. So I too have been seeking out opportunities to walk. I have also been thinking about yoga and pilates. I haven't decided on the Spanish. I think that it would be a huge bonus, not just for this, but in some other areas of life as well. (I sometimes volunteer where there is a large Spanish-speaking population and it would be nice to know more Spanish than I do!) I also found that 'coincidently' (which I don't believe in), the Cathedral in Seattle (near where I work) is doing a 'Camino Seattle' (http://www.stjames-cathedral.org). The timing is great! I will have opportunities to walk, opportunities to hear pilgrim stories, see photos, walk with others, pray, walk with others, etc. I figure that just maybe it is enough to keep me from chomping at the bit to go on the real Camino...because, unfortunately, I really do need to wait until 2014.

Sherreelyn .. I wish you and your partner the best getting ready for this great life changing trek. If I can suggest a book to read whilst getting yourself fit?.. " What the psychic told the pilgrim" by Jane Christmas .. A midlife misadventure on Spain's Camino de Santiago de Compostela" .. this book is hilarious but also very insightful. It has helped me better understand what to expect when Laurie and I head out in Sept 2014 .

Joe
Northwest Arkansas

I too am planning on walking in 2014. I have no idea how yet. Physically I'm confident I can prepare, however financially, and preparing my family for me to be gone is another matter. We have a son with autism, and seizures. It is for he I must prepare the most and know that somehow God will prepare "the way" for both of us to be on a pilgrimage.

Peace be with you,
Georgia :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My wife and i are planning to do the section from Leon to Santiago in early June 2014. The plan is to arrive in Santiago on June 19th my fiftieth birthday. I too became inspired by the movie The Way and since i have started to read and research The Camino it has become my passion. At the moment my thoughts are all over the place, my dad passed away in the past year and my children finished university and have started there way in the world so the recent past has seen ups and downs. I am hoping my time on The Camino will help me to reflect on the past and guide me in the future. It is still almost two years away and god willing all be well then but i am already counting the days till then.
Richard from Ireland

Welcome Richard!

You'll enjoy your planning and picking up kit over the next couple of years. If you can't find answers to your questions on this site, don't hesitate to ask.

It sounds like you're entering a new phase of your life and, as you say, the Camino is a good place to reflect. I guess for some the Camino gives answers, while for others it raises questions. It may tell you what to do, or what not to do. Enjoy what your Camino gives you. And have fun along the way!

Buen Camino!

Hi!

I am also planning my first Camino in 2014.
Plans so far are to go the whole Camino de Frances from Saint PdP (France) to Santiago.
I may start mid of April 2014.

Any tips for a new member?

Greetings from Sweden!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Baersson!

The best tip is just to browse the forum regularly. There are lots of tips on equipment etc, and good places to stop along the Way. Just remember that your Camino will be unique in many ways, so you'll make your own discoveries along the Way.

Buen Camino!

Hi Tyrrek!

Thanks for the tips.
I will look around and prepare myself for the wonderful journey ahead.

Best Regards from Sweden

Almost saw my dream of a 2014 Camino go up in smoke but looks like I may make it after all.

One of my biggest fears putting off my walk until 2014 when my husband retires was the worry that something could happen between now and then that would derail my plans ... about a week and a half ago something came up that almost did. During a routine breast exam I found a lump ... panic ... frantic call to the doc ... yup confirmed ... he felt it too ... emergency mammogram and ultrasound ... anxious week waiting for both the appointment and then the results ... staff at hospital were wonderful but somewhat grim and to me, seemingly grimmer by the minute ... Those folks don't say much and they are bloody hard to read! I was told the results would be sent to my doc immediately and would be there in MINUTES ... more silent panic ... do they really act THAT fast if everything is ok?

Apparently they do. It took longer than minutes for the results to be transferred actually, due to a computer glitch but as soon as they were in, my doc had me swing by the office right away to get the news ... NOT cancer ... at least it doesn't look like it ... will have further tests just to make sure but it looks very good just the same. While dealing with all this I also managed to develop a rather nasty toothache ... when it rains it pours ... suffered until the other issue was laid to rest then another visit to the doc .. this time a new dentist .. mine was on vacation (happens every time) ... apparently I need a root canal and crown .. lucky me but I don't care ... cause my Camino is STILL ON for the spring of 2014!!

To celebrate I am going on a 8 km walk in the woods with my hubby after supper ... I can already feel the peace of the trail smoothing all my cares away.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
^5 Mysticl ... Good News for sure, congratulations on the negative . My wife had a double mastectomy last year ( aggressive cancer ) but they got it all and we are planning for our 2014 trek starting in Sept .We Just finished a 3 miler today in the Hilly Ozarks .. great way to celebrate life ! Carpa Diem :)

Joe

So glad they got all your wife's cancer. I had always thought of cancer as a a death sentence but when I was facing it myself I began to realize it isn't really ... it's horrible and scary but it CAN be beaten and in fact in most cases it is, as your wife's story shows. It's kind of amazing how such a life scare can focus the mind on what is really important. The funny thing is, the FIRST thing that popped into my head when I found the lump was .. "well there goes my Camino ..." of course many other things occupied my mind after that, but the Camino was still right up there with thoughts on how I was going to deal with this. I eventually decided that no matter what, I was going to do this ... somehow I'd work it into the schedule with whatever else I had to do to get better. The old saying "live each day as if it were your last" really hit home this past week ... I plan to do just that.

The moral of my story ... if you are over 50, get a mammogram ... I had procrastinated, out of fear of what they might find I guess ... in hindsight I simply cannot believe how foolish I was. You'd think at 54 yrs old I would have known better. I was lucky this time. I won't make the same mistake again ...

Hi Mysticl,
Congratulations on your positive results and in all your recent successes to do with your weight.
Here's a point of view from my own experience (to do with the camino, not the non-cancer)... I have always noticed that before my camino walks there are several 'crises' that happen that can make it look as if my camino might not happen and have now come to think of them as preparation or clearing the way.
I mean if you're going to have a root canal, better to do it now on your home turf and get it out of the way. And if you have to find a lump you're probably more comfortable doing that at home than in the middle of a foreign country (although I'm sure the medical treatment you would have gotten would be excellent in Spain).
Maybe something else will happen or maybe it won't, but when the time comes you'll have nothing left to worry about and be clear and ready for a wonderful experience!
Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That's a really good way of looking at it cecelia and you're right it is much better to get these things taken care of before we go if we can ... a check up a few months prior to leaving and maybe even a podiatrist visit to identify any possible problems you might have that a long distance pilgrimage might aggravate and possibly take proactive steps to prevent any issues. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure ... at least those of us who aren't leaving until 2014 have a the luxury of having time on our side :)

Hi everyone! My husband and I are excitedly planning our Camino sometime in 2014 (possibly August/September). Seems carzy to be excited about walking so far, but we are! Have to tidy up loose ends regarding house/finance etc, as we would like to be able to take our time to do the walk, spending some time in Portugal and Spain afterwards. Loving all the info here in the forums, hoping to pick up as much info as possible between now and departure time. We are both reasonably fit early 50's, but I had a shoulder injury a couple of years back that worries me from time to time. My biggest issue I think will be keeping my pack contents down to a manageable size!

I am delighted to find this thread as I am planning my Camino for April/May or September/October 2014. I will be traveling alone since all my friends and family think I've lost my mind on this one, so if you see me out there, I hope we'll become friends. Buen Camino!
Tonya

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello everybody! The Class of 2014... and I would so much like to join in. So I will! I walked in 2011 from Leon to SdC. The best thing I ever did in life! But ofcourse I already knew that something was wrong with me. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in August 2011, had chemo, mastectomy and radiation therapy. So now I am on the road to recovery. That is why 2014. Walked with the cancer in 2011 and will walk ( hopefully ) without the illness in 2014. I hope you all are happy and healthy! Sunny greetings from Holland

This forum is a wonderful resource. I read it everyday, and received my forum badge in the mail today. So exciting!! I think I've decided on May of 2014 rather than September. Going to try and learn some Spanish between now and then. Buen Camino everyone!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi! Great to meet everyone. My friend and I are planning to hopefully go Sept 2014. We are just in the planning stage and trying to get as much information as possible. Having couple years to plan will be great. Would love to build some internet friends along the way then maybe at some point along the Camino we can meet up.

A Cleveland, Ohio area Pilgrim! I am a newbie, this is my first post. After hearing about the Camino when I was in Spain on a college visit (Marquette Univ. '72) I vowed to return someday. After viewing "The Way" and becoming inspired, I plan to make The Way in October '14. I know it seems a long way off but I must use the time to get in shape (health issues) and save the money. I'm almost 62 so I will turning 64 on my Journey, God willing! I've been soaking up all of your kind advice and this first post makes it all real. If there are any Pilgrims in the Cleveland area, I would love to connect at some time - when you return or prior if you have a long lead time as I do. I will be making my way alone, so any advice I can get the better! I hope I can contribute as well.I will enjoy "speaking" with all of you Pilgrims in the next two years. Buen Camino to all!

Hello people!

I'll be targeting late April to early June in 2014. We have been making trips to Europe for the last few years but nothing approaching a 500 mile pilgrimage. I seemed to be drawn to this for reasons I can't really explain. My wife thinks I have lost my proverbial marbles, but she is being supportive. I've just finished Kevin Codd's "Field of Stars" , and ordered Call of the Camino by Robert Mullen. I'll be turning 59 along the route.

I admit to a bit of anxiety but for some reason I also have a sense that things will work out. I'll be using this site often to get ideas, suggestions and reinforcement. :D

Thanks in advance!

mike

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello from colorful Colorado, USA,

My wife and I are planning our Camino adventure starting the end of March through mid May 2014. We are planning for seasonal weather and have lengthened our hiking distances at our altitude of 8,000+ feet elevation. Our biggest concern is of course the weather. We decided to just go with the flow. if the weather is particularly bad, we will just stay in the town we happen to be in for another day (or two). Any advice from Camino veterans would be greatly welcomed. Also, Interested in hearing from others who traveled during this time frame.

Thanks!

What a great forum for future pereginos in 2014. I and several classmates from our old grade school (class of '61) are excited about walking the Camino de Santiago in September 2014.Several of us are rehabbing from various injuries to our legs and are using the Camino as part of our recovery.There's nothing like a carrot or goal at the end of a PT tunnel.
Several of us have been reading posts on the various forum pages.This forum will be just what the doctor ordered...pun intended.We are looking forward to our collective and individual adventures along this ancient pilgrimage route.Hoping to meet and walk with some of you fellow pilgrims in 2014.Buen Camino...
Ron

My husband, Pete, and I are proud to be part of the class of 2014! We are slightly obsessed with the Camino and would love to go tomorrow, but circumstances dictate that we wait. Which is fine. We love all the information available here on the forum. We feel that with all the info we are garnering from the forum we will be as prepared as possible for the Camino Primitivo in July/August 2014. See you there!! We hail from Oregon.

Hello everyone, I am signing up for Class of 2014 from sunny Philippines! I came across the whole Camino phenomenon 10 years ago and been dreaming about it. I plan to do the Camino in October 2014 but aside from reading a few posts in this wonderful forum, am still in the dark where to start and for how long. I am taking steps towards it, and this morning, that big step is officially signing up and declaring to the universe of my intention to walk the Camino in October 2014. Bienvenidos!

Tonyahobbs said:
This forum is a wonderful resource. I read it everyday, and received my forum badge in the mail today. So exciting!! I think I've decided on May of 2014 rather than September. Going to try and learn some Spanish between now and then. Buen Camino everyone!
Hi! A bit of Spanish and a big smile go a long way. You've chosen the right time to walk. If you don't come back with photos of all the wild flowers that line the route in May I will eat my hat! Buen Camino! :D

I thoroughly agree with Tyrrex. Having a knowledge of Spanish is the most useful thing you can bring with you. And it does not weigh anything !! It not only makes life easier and safer, it enriches the whole experience in so many ways.
We do so many things every day that do not need too much concentration that if you can listen to tapes or CDs it is amazing how much you can pick up. Also by learning from hearing you pick up a good accent and will be able to understand so much more easily.

Buen Camino,
Lydia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Class of 2012!

I guess I am the new student in this class since I have just decided today that I will begin my Camino de Santiago today and will be taking the actual trip on June 2014. I need all the help I can get. As of the moment it seems that it will be a lone pilgrimage for me. I am from the Philippines and I'm planning to start of my trip in Paris then a train ride to Biarritz towards SJPP and from there the long journey towards Santiago.

I am still at a lost on how to prepare. Definitely I will prepare my health, finances/budget and spirituality. Do put in your cent or two if you have some useful tips. Thanks!

Buen camino!

mandy tall said:
Do put in your cent or two if you have some useful tips. Thanks!
Hi Mandy! The best tip is just to brouse the forum for a while and get a feel for it all. You've got loads of time to prepare so you might be able to pick up any equipment you need in a sale before you start. Have fun!

Buen Camino!

Hi Mandy,

Welcome to the forum. Along with preparing your health, finances and spirituality can I suggest that you learn some Spanish. It not only makes life easier and safer, it adds a whole new dimension to your experience, enriching it in so many ways. Also it weighs nothing.

Buen Camino,
Lydia

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lydia Gillen said:
Hi Mandy,

Welcome to the forum. Along with preparing your health, finances and spirituality can I suggest that you learn some Spanish. It not only makes life easier and safer, it adds a whole new dimension to your experience, enriching it in so many ways. Also it weighs nothing.

Buen Camino,
Lydia

Hi Lydia,

Actually, I am starting my Spanish lessons now. :) Thank you! :)

Hi Everyone
My name is Carrie and I am from Queensland, Australia.
My husband (John) and I had never heard of the Camino de Santiago, however after watching a movie called The Way, we were so overwhelmed with the sheer beauty (both physically and spiritually) that we have begun our investigation and introduction to this magnificent pilgrimage.
As I will be turning 50 in 2014, we have discussed planning this particular year to participate in our inaugural experience, praying that a minimum of 12 months would provide us with adequate lead-up.
Thank you for your wonderful stories and guidance, we will continue to read them in awe.
Warm regards
Carrie and John

My husband Alan and I are planning to walk in either September or October of 2014 with another couple and my cousin Joe. We are just in the very early planning stages and doing some research to get us up to speed. I'll be watching the posts here as we firm up our plans.

Greetings - I am Robert from the state of North Carolina, USA. I am making plans for the Camino in 2014. I have friends in Germany that I would like to visit, so I hope to start my camino in Paderborn, hike to Paris, and join the Camino Frances there. I just finished half of the Appalachian Trail this year and will finish the final 1,000 miles in 2013. Then I will be ready to travel in Europe, including the camino. I look forward to learning much from this forum. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Hello Class of 2014

I walked the Camino with my daughter in 2005 and the Walk has never left us. My daughter has also done a few short Walks (100 K). I hope to do the Walk with my husband in 2012. We live in the Vancouver, BC area.

I am a 52 year old mother of 4 and raising a grandchild (1 yr ). Two years ago,in a bookstore, I picked up a book off the shelf titled "Pilgrimage as a way of LIfe". There was only one paragraph about Camino de Santiago which I had never heard of before. As I was reading ( still in the bookstore) I felt as if the Holy Spirit had come down and taken my breath away. I knew from that moment, I had to go.
But for two years, I've only been thinking about it here and there; yet now I feel my time has come to start my journey. By that I mean I have to figure out a means to get there. Because I'm raising my grandchild, I've had to quit work. I have 3 kids in college so I have no money to spare and $0 to start with. But I truly believe that the money will come with constant prayer and perseverance. My goal is to start saving my pennies now and start the 500 mile trek by spring or fall of 2014.
I am so excited to start - and look forward to meeting some of you on the trail.

HI, I'm Lydia Pak and I'm from Conroe, TX about hour away from Houston. My friend and I are planning on going in September 2014 around the first or second week. We are super excited about it and cant wait to get started on training up for the walk and also start getting the things we need for this trip. :D

Hi Everyone. Well I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I will be walking the french route in May 2014. I will probably be walking alone at first then meet up with fellow pilgrims. This is my first time on the pilgrimage and I cant wait. I am giving myself time to get back into shape, had a sever back injury which held me back for a few years. Doctor says I can go if I train so im back in the gym on weekdays and walking the forest trails here in Alberta on the weekends. See you all in May.

Hey Lydia! .. I'm Joe Bott from Springdale Arkansas. My wife Laurie & I are planning to be there the same time as you. Hopefully we will bump into each other . Keep in touch if you want and possibly we can sycronize to economize on transportation into SJPdP (if your planning to start there ) . Glad to meet you

eunjoopak said:
HI, I'm Lydia Pak and I'm from Conroe, TX about hour away from Houston. My friend and I are planning on going in September 2014 around the first or second week. We are super excited about it and cant wait to get started on training up for the walk and also start getting the things we need for this trip. :D

Hi John.. This forum has the answers to all your questions .. it's great . Best of Luck in your journey.

Joe

john l said:
Hi Everyone. Well I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I will be walking the french route in May 2014. I will probably be walking alone at first then meet up with fellow pilgrims. This is my first time on the pilgrimage and I cant wait. I am giving myself time to get back into shape, had a sever back injury which held me back for a few years. Doctor says I can go if I train so im back in the gym on weekdays and walking the forest trails here in Alberta on the weekends. See you all in May.

DeadFred said:
Hey Lydia! .. I'm Joe Bott from Springdale Arkansas. My wife Laurie & I are planning to be there the same time as you. Hopefully we will bump into each other . Keep in touch if you want and possibly we can sycronize to economize on transportation into SJPdP (if your planning to start there ) . Glad to meet you

eunjoopak said:

Hi, Joe. It would be awesome to bump into you and your wife there. We are planning to start out from SJPdP. We are thinking about flying into Paris and then head to SJPdP. I will keep in touch with you and maybe we can all start out together :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great.. Only 22 months to go , Yes Paris , that's our plan too ..absolutely keep in touch .

eunjoopak said:
DeadFred said:

Hi, Joe. It would be awesome to bump into you and your wife there. We are planning to start out from SJPdP. We are thinking about flying into Paris and then head to SJPdP. I will keep in touch with you and maybe we can all start out together :D

Hi all,

My wife Sue and I are looking to do our trip in May 2014. We are experienced travellers but hiking is a whole new concept. We are early 50s and pretty fit. We have joined the forum to get info from experienced hikers. This whole pilgrimage has got us both enthraled and we would love to meet like minded people from anywhere in the world. We live in coastal Northern New South Wales, Australia in a small village called Valla Beach so Spain will be quite different for us.

Cheers

Peter & Sue

Hello from the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina, USA. My wife Carolyn and I are planning our Camino Frances trip for September of 2014. Our pilgrimage on the Camino will be our way letting go of one phase of life as we transition into retirement (can't wait). We have been walkers all our lives and have done sections of the Appalachian Trail but have never had the time to do a continuous long walk like the Camino. We would like to give a quick thanks to all who have gone before and shared their wisdom on this board. If you have plans for 2014, look for us.

Buen Camino
Bob and Carolyn Holder
Boone, NC

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola Bob! .. Laurie & I plan to be heading to Orission mid Sept or thereabout. Still need to fine tune the date ... There are a couple from Conroe Tx ( Lydia Pak) who have posted above that will also be there at the same time we are ... . btw I pass by Boone every year when I head to OBX ,, Beautiful State North Carolina

Joe Bott
Springdale ARKANSAS

bholder said:
Hello from the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina, USA. My wife Carolyn and I are planning our Camino Frances trip for September of 2014. Our pilgrimage on the Camino will be our way letting go of one phase of life as we transition into retirement (can't wait). We have been walkers all our lives and have done sections of the Appalachian Trail but have never had the time to do a continuous long walk like the Camino. We would like to give a quick thanks to all who have gone before and shared their wisdom on this board. If you have plans for 2014, look for us.

Buen Camino
Bob and Carolyn Holder
Boone, NC

Hola Bob! .. Laurie & I plan to be heading to Orission mid Sept or thereabout. Still need to fine tune the date ... There are a couple from Conroe Tx ( Lydia Pak) who have posted above that will also be there at the same time we are ... If you would like to keep in touch ( that goes for any pilgrim heading out in Sept 2014 ) fee free to friend me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/DEADFREDcom . I don't bite. btw I pass by Boone every year when I head to OBX ,, Beautiful State North Carolina

Joe Bott
Springdale ARKANSAS

Thanks Joe, we are looking to fly into Paris also. Maybe late Aug (still working on details) and do some a little sight seeing before heading to SJPP. I look forward to seeing you, Laurie, Lydia Pak and all those yet to be named somewhere along the way. I am not on facebook but lets all stay in touch over the next twenty something months.

Bob Holder
Boone, NC

Wow...it is so inspiring reading of others planing to walk the Camino! I finished the Pennine way last June. I plan the Camino in may/June 2014. I am a middle-age female . My biggest concern is traveling in an other than English speaking country. I too plan on taking Spanish classes. I' m kinda obsessed right now. I live in Colorado. I do hike a lot now. I would be interested in hearing from anyone comparing Pennine Way with Camino. Thanks. I 'd also like to share enthusisism with other solo hikers planning this great adventure.. I would also like input on camping along the Camino. I know there are few campsites, but could one camp along the path safely? has anyone else read Bettina Selbey's account?

€60,-
Hi my name is Rafael. I plan to do the Camino in year 2014. I've read 4 books about it and I'm inspired by each one of them. What is the average length of time do most folks complete the Camino? How proficient do you need to be with Spanish? What's the worst thing that one can expect? How much physical training does one need? I don't hike but I do a lot of running and cycling. What type of clothing material is appropriate - cotton or dry-fit (polyester) that wicks your sweat?

I would also like input on camping along the Camino. I know there are few campsites, but could one camp along the path safely? We are planning to camp the Camino taking it at our leisure and pleasure to take in the trail step by step without deadlines or goals we will start next year and have found many web sites etc that have been helpful on this the camping. It is our aim to see the countryside and smell the fresh laid cow pats etc. we will post our findings and will camp with respect of the people whose country we are guests.

Hi Susan, Rafael, Sienna.

You raise similar questions, many of which have been discussed already on the forum. Camping is one, so just search on it and you'll get many views and experiences.

Speaking Spanish is not essential in that many pilgrims speak very little or none and survive. However learning even basic phrases and numbers will improve your experience dramatically. Imagine seeing a beautiful tortilla appearing on the bar beside you and not knowing how to ask for a piece! :( Check out Sillydolls new book on Camino Spanish.

Re. The Pennine Way. I've never walked it but live near it. I imagine the Camino would have better weather and better availability of (cheap) accommodation. Busier too.

Buen Camino all!

Hi Y'all,
I am so thrilled to say that I will be walking the camino starting SJPP May 26th 2014 and hopefully reaching Santiago in time for Mass on June 22. This has been on my bucket list for over ten years and I am so excited!!!

JamesEarl :p

I'm pencilling a return to the way in 2014... I was thinking either the full way again for 5 weeks or two shorter legs maybe from Madrid starting in april that ends 4ish weeks later then double over to the Portuguese way starting in late may early june for 3 more weeks...

I wonder how much annual leave i will have accrued by then? mmmn I could argue for time off with no pay? :twisted:

Anyway planning begins :) Books to buy! maps to obtain and spanish to master 1st!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, I'm Becca (currently residing in a chilly Minnesota, USA). I am planning on hiking el camino in April 2014. I know it should be rainy but since I grew up in Seattle, I like rain. :) This forum sounds really interesting to see who is going around the same time.

Hi! My name is Marianne and I'm from Stellenbosch in South Africa. At the moment I'm one of those "observing from the fringes"! " But the idea of walking the Camino (possibly only part of it) is slowly growing into "I am going to walk the Camino in 2014"! Will be following all the posts with great interest!

Anybody else from this part of the world having the same idea? Thinking about August/September 2014.

Greetings to the Class of 2014!

That sure sounds younger than the Class of '67! :shock:

My husband & I are planning to walk the Frances route from SJPD to Santiago & on to Finisterre & possibly Muxia in May-June 2014 as a celebration of turning 65 that year. It's a life affirming trip for us. After watching the movie "The Way" I said, "I'd like to do that!" and hubby Art said great, let's go! I like to walk. We live in the Cherokee National Forest in east TN very near the NC border and have already begun our training by hiking our little gravel road & in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park nearby. We have our backpacks & boots & are working on increasing our pack loads & perfecting our sock/boot combos. I swear by BodyGlide on the feet & wool or alpaca socks.

Sorry campers, but the Camino calls to me simply because there is NO camping! Give me the communal, snoring albergues & keep the tent! I have earplugs & know how to use them!

Art & Kay

I heard about a very helpful book, Camino Lingo, available at Amazon.com that I ordered for my husband for Christmas so I've yet to get a good look at it yet.

I look forward to getting to know our classmates better as the planning continues!

Buen Camino!

KayB49, Great to hear another Appalachian Mountains couple is headed to Spain in 2014. We are looking to do Camino Frances trip for September of 2014. Can't wait to share stories

Buen Camino
Bob and Carolyn Holder
Boone, NC

Nice to meet you, Bob!

It's a bit of a drive for you, but there is a newly formed Chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino, Western NC that meets at the Asheville REI. http://www.americanpilgrims.com/about/l ... olina.html

I've attended two meetings & found many wonderful experienced Camino walkers with wonderful stories & slides as well as hopefuls like myself. It's great to meet real people who don't think the idea of walking the Camino is a crazy idea. :D In fact several have done it more than once on different routes.

€83,-
KayB49 said:
... Chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino, Western NC that meets at the Asheville REI. http://www.americanpilgrims.com/about/l ... olina.html

So glad to know about the Asheville group. I haven't found one yet in Upstate S.C. where I live (north of Clemson).

I walked this past September, and it was a remarkable experience. Knowing that I had limited time (Sept. 4 - Oct. 3), I knew that I'd be taking a bus midway. I walked from SJdPP to Burgos & stayed two days there, then took transportation to Sarria and continued on from there to Santiago. After a day in Santiago, I took another bus to Finisterre where I spent the loveliest, quietest, most contemplative three days I can imagine. It was for me the capstone of the camino.

I look forward to getting to some of the Asheville meetings - and in the meantime, if anyone knows of a SC group in the Upstate, please let me know.

KayB49, Thanks for the info on the Asheville group. I am not sure I can make the Jan meeting but will keep up with the group. Hopefully we can meet at one of the meeting coming up.

Buen Camino
Bob and Carolyn Holder
Boone, NC

Greetings fellow pilgrims,

I am a long ways out regarding stepping off in Spain, however, I am out there on the road when I can in my everyday life. Living in Michigan, you can imagine the weather right now, but the road is still calling. And I answer!

My schedule is currently showing me leaving the States for Madrid on the May 19th, 2014 (the day after I graduate from college) and plan on stepping off from SJPP on the 21st. Having completed and retiring from the US Marines after 27 years of service, and now nearing the end of my college time, I feel the call of the Camino. I have gear that I was going to use on the Appalachian Trail back when I retired, however a stroke two years earlier nixed that idea. Way too much climbing involved. My wife has heard my reasons for wanting to do the Camino Frances and has now agreed to my going alone (at least from here).

There are three gals from a couple cities over that are going earlier in April and we are going to be bouncing planning ideas off each other. I can't wait to get there.

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Everyone,

I'm a member of the Class of 2014. A friend and I will be walking the Camino Frances from SJPP starting in April. I have recently modified my regular exercise program to include more long-distance walking. I figure that it takes me longer to get in shape for this kind of thing than it did when I was younger (I'm 71), and besides, walking in the winter time gives me another excuse to go outside.

Buen Camino

I will be making my first pilgrimage May of 2014 on the Camino Frances starting from SJPP. I actually first learned of the Camino during a Rick Steves travel show and have dreamed of doing it ever since. My wife recently watched "The Way" and wants me to do the trip...alone!

Backdrop...I am 41 years old and am a Police Officer in Washington State. My wife and I have three teen age boys with the youngest being severely disabled. In a perfect world, my wife would walk with me but having a disabled child makes it impossible to be gone that long. She has seen the desire in me to become a pilgrim and is my strongest supporter.

I have not hammered the exact dates out, but will begin in May and will follow loosely John Brierley's 33 day plan from SJPP to Santiago.

I have already begun to save up my vacation time and cannot wait.

will follow loosely John Brierley's 33 day plan
Loosely is an excellent word and concept! The book is comprehensive on accommodations, but some of the designated stopping places are a bit hard to comprehend when you are actually on the pilgrimage. Read some of the Forums here, and you will get a good sense of changes you may want to make.

Buen camino!

Hello all. :) I am planning on embarking on my camino (alone) in April 2014 - final dates will depend on which route I ultimately choose, but I've been focusing most of my research on the Camino Frances (per the advice on this forum). I can't really put into words the need I feel to experience El Camino, and how difficult it is to think about waiting more than another year before my feet hit the trail, so it is greatly encouraging to see others planning their trips so far out and knowing that, in some ways, our journeys have already begun. Buen camino!

Yes I too am planning a solo trip during April this year. I'm a 40 year old British Mum living in France who is getting her head round the facts of leaving my children and husband for 5 wks, walking along way and fulfilling an idea which kept be brought to my attention. So my thinking is I've got to go and try it and stop finding lots of excuses to not go for it. So time for some research to start making it real.

I am now into my research phase having been inspired after watching, "The Way". I hope to begin my journey in May, 2014. I am recently retired and this new goal will hopefully satisfy my desire to travel while connecting with my inner spirit, and maintaining my current level of fitness. I'm very thankful I happened upon this site and look forward to gaining valuable insight from those who have experienced this journey and those who wish to! My first question is, "where can I begin to learn some basic Spanish?"

My beginning this as a solo pilgrimage has began to blossom out to others in my circle of friends. A young man that I attend college got the green light from his wife to hit the Camino with me in May 2014. Knowing that this young man will be hitting the Camino is going to be a growth thing for him and I can't wait to see the man that God has for him to become through this adventure. We are both pumped and are moving from the planning into the training phase of it: walking (with and without gear), stretching routines, journaling and prayer/meditation time. Learned while I was in the Marines that it takes 30 days doing something to have it become a habit.

So looking forward to not only being on the Camino, but also meeting fellow pilgrims that will be walking during the same time we will. If you care to share, feel free to contact me.

Buen Camino!

Larry Burroughs said:
I am now into my research phase having been inspired after watching, "The Way". I hope to begin my journey in May, 2014. I am recently retired and this new goal will hopefully satisfy my desire to travel while connecting with my inner spirit, and maintaining my current level of fitness. I'm very thankful I happened upon this site and look forward to gaining valuable insight from those who have experienced this journey and those who wish to! My first question is, "where can I begin to learn some basic Spanish?"

I bought the Pimsleur cds and listen to them in the car on my way to and from work. Each lesson is 30 minutes. They are quite expensive though!
The library has them,but I needed them longer than I could check them out.Maybe if you had a lot of friends that had library cards... :D you could keep checking them out :lol:
I also signed up for a continuing ed Spanish class, since with only cds no one is hearing my pronounciation.

Hi Everyone!

My name is Tamaey and I'll be walking the Camino Sep/Oct of 2014 and have visualized this for over 10yrs and finally see the starting line :) in site! I am from South Bend, IN and will flying from Chicago to Paris then taking the train from Paris to Bayonne and then onto SJPdP. I'm wanting to avoid BIG crowds so thought maybe the 3rd week in Sep to begin and taking my time up to 45 days. Anyone know if its too cold to walk mid-late Oct?

Looking forward to connecting with all of you, thanks for this GREAT forum, I've learned so much already!

I lost focus for a few months ... in other words I stopped obsessing about the Camino and moved on to obsessing about other things ;) but I didn't stop thinking about it altogether. To be honest I have had my doubts. I am not sure I am up to the task. When I lost focus I also lost focus on my weight control and I gained 25 lbs which for me is a huge setback but it also opened my eyes again and I am back obsessing ;) Started serious walking again but I am working up slowly ... I did 2 hrs on the treadmill yesterday (set on hilly terrain) and an hour and a half for the 5 previous days. I will be slowly increasing the time spent until the weather begins to improve and I can start walking outside in earnest ... time enough for inclement weather training next winter ... we are still on for the spring of 2014 unless fate intervenes ... Buen Camino!

I'm so glad to see so many people are going in 2014!! I'm going May/June with a friend of mine. That is my present to myself for getting my Master's. We are currently working on getting in shape. There are several state parks with LONG trails paired with some killer mountain terrain. :D

I can relate to this Mysticl .. after hiking 5 miles this Saturday in moderate terrain at a state park I was spent at the end . I wondered how the heck am I going to do 3x times this on a daily basis . The cold equation rocked me . But ... I was out the next day doing an easy 3.5 miler . Go figure .

Mysticl said:
To be honest I have had my doubts. I am not sure I am up to the task.

I have Phyiscal Therapy 2x weekly for a slighly bulging disk which is working wonders ,, so I keep trudging along and focusing on the gold ring ( The Way ).

I have NO doubt this will be the hardest endeavor I have ever undertaken ... yet , looking so much forward to it ..So bring it on.

Joe
Class of 2014 Sept/Oct

Hi there!
It's my intention to begin walking from SJPP , France (I'm thinking) in mid-September 2014. My
I am in my late fifties and will be going on my own. Although my funds are modest I have a lot of flexibility in time. I'm welcoming any suggestions as to what is the best month to start the Camino.
I'm not a hot weather fan and would like to go when chances of rain are lowest...?!? Also, grateful for all ideas, info, and advice from, "those who have gone before" as well as those yet to embark on this mighty trek.
All the Best!
Martha
Victoria, B.C.
Canada

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
bellababy said:
I'm not a hot weather fan and would like to go when chances of rain are lowest...?!?
Hi Martha!

I've not walked at all times of year, but from my experience May is an excellent time. Not too hot or cold (although sometimes chilly at morning and evening even on a warm day). Take any rainfall figures quoted in books with a slight pinch of salt - it often seems to rain at night when you're in bed or in a restaurant so it doesn't really matter so much. There are some parts of the route that get muddy if there has been persistent rain, but generally it's fine. Spring is always a nice time to be out enjoying nature anyway! :D

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
Preparing from Tasmania (island state of Australia) to walk about a month of the VP at my slow pace (maybe average 15km/day) with just the essentials on my back (so currently obsessed with the...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.