• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2016

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:
It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there is a significant number of fellow pilgrims in the mid-to-final stages of the planning for their Camino.
I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.
It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we peregrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2016?
Buen Camino
Arn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good to see 2016 off to an early start. Thank you William.
We hope to make our deferred 2014 Camino (Inglés) in 2015. Reading the Kiwi-family posts (and others) about the Camino del Salvador is making us think about aiming for that route in 2016.
Like others of about our age we have decided to keep walking for as long as possible. Not ready to make more than tentative plans yet but the Camino del Salvador does call. So here we are as possible members of the Class of 2016 and trusting for good health etc.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We have been talking about this for a year now and have just gone public with the news to our family. We are planning to do the Camino the summer of 2016. We are reading and starting the journey. We don't even know what we don't know yet. This will be helpful to learn from all of you! Terry and Kay

My wife and I are planning the Camino in the fall of 2016. I am contemplating the Camino Norte and she is planning on joining me the last 200 km. we did the Camino Frances in 2013 and now I am hooked! I am grateful for this forum and read it all the time and find I am learning more about the process of a pilgrimage every time I read. Thanks to you all you good folks!

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.
Buen Camino
Arn

Thank you for opening this thread!

I probably will have to wait until 2016 to make my camino even though when I introduced myself I said that I could be doing the Camino in the Fall of 2015 or Spring of 2016. As much as I'd like to go earlier (love to go earlier) I think 2016 is the time that is most reasonable. I hope my youngest child will be settled away from home a bit more by the Spring of 2016. I think an early spring pilgrimage (as opposed to early summer) is what would suit me best because I prefer to be a bit chilly rather than a bit too hot.

As of right now, my ideal camino, and what I will plan for is a pilgrimage from SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela.

-E

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm going to jump in as well. We had thought of waiting until 2019, when I retire. I just don't think I can wait that long. My wife and I both turn 60 in 2016, so a mid-May start from Saint Jean Pied de Port seems like a good way to celebrate.
Joe

My wife and I are planning to start in June 2016, walking from SJPD. We will be 58 and 56 respectively. Hopefully we will be able to walk to Santiago (maybe Muxia) in 5 weeks. Still lots of time for us get our "Camino legs" (and feet!). I feel like my Camino has already started...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Camino Frances, May/June 2016. It's been calling me for sometime; I think it's time to get serious! SJPP to Santiago, hoping to allow 36 days, including travel to/from Europe.

Thank you for this forum; I've been lurking in here for a few weeks and expect to be for the next (almost) 2 years!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ok so was reluctant to post since 2016 is a fair bit away yet but yes I'm planning to head off Sarria to Santiago in April 2016. Was originally going to go 2015 butmy daughter will be in an exam year and doing pre exams in April2015 so have to defer. Still it gives me more time to train lol since this is definitely the first thing of its kind I have ever dared to aspire to. Am really glad to get to know anyone going in 2016 as I will more than likely be going it alone.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I hope so jumpimgin2014 am limited as to how long I can be away from home so this is why the Sarria to Santiago but honestly even that for me who has never ventured to do anything alone in my whole life feels like the biggest adventure to me.

2016 June/July cannot wait retiring and doing the walk. Do not want to wish my life away but I am excited already. 5 weeks of walking. Fantastic
Buen Camino gagseymt !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's always a source of excitement to see the next "Class of..." thread surface. And, without question it's William Marques that pulls the lanyard. May God Bless and Protect you all. May the Spirit move you in a direction that's right for you. May your experience along the Way...serve to bring you in tune with whatever moves you to Camino.

Buen Camino
Arn

Buen Camino
Arn

My husband I plan to do our first camino in September of 2016. We will be doing the Camino Frances. We will be in our early 50's.

We are from the interior of British Columbia, Canada. We are just waiting for our youngest to start university. We will get our kids settled in their respective schools and then off to do our camino!

We are already doing lots of hiking and walking, packs are bought and slowly gathering our other supplies. I have downloaded the DUOLINGO app onto my phone, committing to at least 10 minutes a day (which will add up in the next 700 days). My husband is reading the Brierly guide......he is the the planner :)

We are quite excited as the camino will represent a transition into a new phase of our life!

Buen Camino
Arn

Class of 2016 ? I can say yes. My retirement date at work is April 2016. I will be having a holiday with my wife and then on to the 'El Camino'! in June. At the moment doing a lot of research, gathering lightweight gear and in April 2015 will start training in our local area. You may have heard of it, 'The Lake District'

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This thread makes 2016 seem a little bit closer at least so thanks for starting it. I originally walked the Frances and on to Finesterre in 2010 and hadn't planned to walk another Camino until my early retirement in 2018 when I plan to start from Paris or somewhere further as I just wasn't ready for my Camino to end last time. But then I received an email from Ivar about the 10th anniversary of the forum, looked at the forum pages a couple of weeks later and within days was planning to go again so 2016 is the next time I'll be able to do it. I'll have to take all my year's annual leave in one go so will leave just before Easter to take advantage of the 2 extra Bank Holidays and plan to leave from Hendaye and go along the Camino Vasco and join the Frances at either Santo Domingo or Burgos, or maybe do the Portuguese, not 100% certain yet. I'm doing a 100km sponsored walk over a weekend next summer so have started training for them both already, which helps to make the Camino seem a bit closer.

Planning to walk from SJPdP starting sometime in May 2016. Toying with the idea of walking on to Finisterre.
Update- Arrive in SJPdP 28th April. Start next day. Still hope to walk to Finisterre. Maybe also to Portugal. Or bus to Portugal, then walk back to Santiago.

Last edited:
I may see you on the Camino. I too am planning on starting in SJPP starting in May 2016. A nice way to celebrate my 50th. I am looking into cycling a portion of it (from Burgos to Leon) so I have time to go to Finisterre. I'm hoping I'll be able to do it all in 35 days and have a couple rest days as well. (That's why I'm leaning towards a cycling portion.) Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Buen Camino
Arn
My husband and I are beginning to make plans for 2016. I teach at a university and have a summer commitment already planned for 2015. I have a colleague who plans to go in May 2015 so we will learn much from her and her husband.

Puzzled, yes puzzles. I posted yesterday that my granddaughter Beth and I were planning flying to Bilbao on June 4th and then starting from Burgos nest day. I cannot find the post now puzzled/
Buen Camino to all out there walking now and to all who plan walking next year

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hope to be back on the Camino starting in SJPP starting in April 2016. Originally thought the Camino in 2014 would be a one-shot deal. I did the Colorado Trail this past summer and it was amazing. With all the spectacular hikes there are in the US and the rest of the world the Camino still has the power to jump to the head of the line. For all you first timers, you are in for a wonderful time. For those of you with a Camino addiction, perhaps we should start a 12 step program...maybe we can have our first meeting in SJPP.

Buen Camino
Arn

Made a mistake with previous post...just joined:) I am planning on September or October 2016.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made it to Logrono from St Jean in Oct 2014 but injury caused me to hold up . Continuing from Logrono Oct 2016 after I'm back to reasonable health. One word of wisdom regarding the Camino to you who are venturing out for the first time.. The word is "WOW!!"

How is the water on the Camino? I have not found any threads about the safety of the water.

After getting the proposal, my Fiance told me he'd walk the Camino with me, knowing how important it has been in my life! So, we've worked the Camino into our wedding plans, and now our close friends are doing a wedding processional Camino with us, and at the end in Fisterra or Muxia we will perform our own little wedding Ceremony between us and God and our friends (The Classic/Legal wedding to take place in front of our parents and families back home afterwards).

Our class of 2016 walk will begin around June 18th and will arrive in Santiago on the 24th, this time we WILL see the celebration and fireworks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just one year to go, folks! I'm going as a post-graduate present for myself, probably heading off in May. I still tentatively plan to walk Le Puy-Figeac then SJPP-Burgos, maybe further, time permitting.
Am doing daily French and Spanish w/ the Duolingo app in eager anticipation!

Last edited:
My wife Lisa and I plan on doing the last portion from Sarria in 2016. Time is the issue for us. Two weeks vacation is the most either of us are able to take at a time, and in 28 years together, we've only taken two weeks ONCE! We've begun the planning process and have watched THE WAY, as most of you probably have, as well as dozens of videos on youtube.com in an effort to steal as much info from beautiful people like you. Because we are only doing the final part of the journey, it's important to us that we try and plan it around a time that is not the most popular time of year to make the pilgrimage. Throngs of crowds likely will take away from our contemplation and solstice. Any insight you wish to offer would be great.

The throngs cease in SJPdP by mid-September. It takes them about 35 days to reach Santiago, so the last 100km clears up by mid-October. Even in October and November a lot of pilgrims leave Sarria on Saturday and Sunday, so there can be lots of pilgrims in such a bubble. Leave on a Monday in October, and you won't have any crowding. Buen camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
thank you very much Falcon 269. I guess I should have also asked, how many people are on the trail in a day when it is considered busy?

Hi, I'm new here and I am in the very early stages of planning my Camino journey. I believe I will make my Camino walk in 2016 and I haven't yet decided on Spring or Fall though I am leaning toward Spring.

I am Catholic and I am preparing to do the walk as part of my spiritual life, I feel called to do this. I am challenged though in that I have some medical conditions that make me unsure if it is even possible. However, as soon as I got online and found this forum I stumbled across stories of others who have either accomplished their Camino walks with limitations or who were planning to try. So I take heart in that!

I am also a mother to a young boy. He is three years old and in spring of 2016 he will be 4 and a half. I haven't yet decided if my husband and son will come with me - of course they will have some say in that decision, what I mean is that I haven't decided if I will invite them, lol. I may want to walk alone or with a faith group.

That's my brief introduction. I hope it wasn't too long winded. Thank you for being here and reading it. I look forward to knowing you, learning from you, and sharing this exciting journey with you. Pax!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm glad I'm not the only one planning early! I'm looking at an early May start in Le Puy en Velay in 2016, and hopefully finishing in Santiago just before the Feast of St. James. I am still playing with the dates & trying to figure out how much time I really need to budget. Currently at 76 days (69 days of walking and 7 rest days)

Hi, I'm new here and I am in the very early stages of planning my Camino journey. I believe I will make my Camino walk in 2016 and I haven't yet decided on Spring or Fall though I am leaning toward Spring.

I am Catholic and I am preparing to do the walk as part of my spiritual life, I feel called to do this. I am challenged though in that I have some medical conditions that make me unsure if it is even possible. However, as soon as I got online and found this forum I stumbled across stories of others who have either accomplished their Camino walks with limitations or who were planning to try. So I take heart in that!

I am also a mother to a young boy. He is three years old and in spring of 2016 he will be 4 and a half. I haven't yet decided if my husband and son will come with me - of course they will have some say in that decision, what I mean is that I haven't decided if I will invite them, lol. I may want to walk alone or with a faith group.

That's my brief introduction. I hope it wasn't too long winded. Thank you for being here and reading it. I look forward to knowing you, learning from you, and sharing this exciting journey with you. Pax!
Hey Angel!,

My wife and I are walking in 2016 too. We too are Catholic and intend for this to be a simple and spiritual journey. We will both be in our 50's by then and we intend to spend 7 days walking on the Camino. We are going to walk slow, hold hands, and spend a lot of time reminding ourselves how lucky we are to have this wonderful life. It's a simple plan. Not a whole lot of details involved, I know.

It's taken me a couple of weeks to come full circle. I came here wanting nothing more than to buy "the best backpack" that I could find, and possibly hit the finish line in Santiago de Campostella while earning a gold medal. Lots of people waving and telling me how wonderful I look in a pancho. But a strange thing happened when I joined this forum. I took a deep breath. I read about the gorgeous human beings that donate their time to serve the peregrinos. I read about people ripping pages out of their guide books so they didn't have to carry as much weight. Hand washing their underwear and because it wasn't dry by morning, hanging it from their backpack while they walk. The whole spirit of the trip started to change. It was always meant to be a spiritual adventure for my wife. Truthfully, for me, it would have been a walking adventure with amenities of comfort sprinkled in. I'm now, not sure where we will begin, where we will end, where we will sleep, or eat. I am sure of one thing. My faith has lead me here. For that I am grateful. I'll trust that no decision on the Camino will likely be a life or death one. It's a beautiful, and hopefully cleansing, walk.

thanks for sharing your story. it inspired me to open up more than I have previously.

as the others say so graciously, "Buen Camino".

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello all! I am hoping to do the Portugues way from Lisbon in 2016. I'm leaning towards September of 2016, but it may happen sooner.

I've been tossing this idea around since 2011, but a hip replacement and another major surgery had me down and out for a few years. So, before my body betrays my soul I am going to take the chance to do this on my own.

My journey will I hope be one of self discovery and spirituality. Never in my life will I have been without a close connection for such a long period of time, but I am truly looking forward to it and my husband and grown children are right behind me pushing me to start preparing now. :)

Buen Camino!

My wife and I are planning to travel the last 200 km of the Camino Frances in May 2016. We've thought about it for a couple years, but had planned to walk the 500 km from SJPdP. To do that, we would have to wait another 8 years until retirement as I have a job that requires my presence about 10 days every month. Instead, we have chosen to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary by completing the last 2 segments. The planning has already begun and I am appreciating all the information I come across in this forum. Our biggest worry is getting trained for the climbs, as where we live is flat as a pancake for miles in all directions.

... Our biggest worry is getting trained for the climbs, as where we live is flat as a pancake for miles in all directions.

Steps / staircases come to mind ;-) Buen Camino and happy planning! SY

Buen Camino
Arn

A good friend and I plan to walk in June-July 2016. She's a guilty Catholic and I am an atheist and we are both 60-something widows. It's perfect. I backpacked around the world when I was in my 20's so am at least aware of what hardships might ensue. Even so, I came up with 14 reasons why I should not attempt this trek -- and 14 solutions. If my knees hold out I think I can make it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for your suggestion. Perhaps a lighthouse or two.

Started training already for 2016. There is a local hill, Mt Pisqah, that rises just over 1,000 feet in 1.4 miles from the trail head. My daughter and I did it today and she has a FitBit. It measured the trek as "111 flights of stairs" just to give an idea of how many lighthouses you will need to climb to duplicate the Pyrenees.

Started training already for 2016. There is a local hill, Mt Pisqah, that rises just over 1,000 feet in 1.4 miles from the trail head. My daughter and I did it today and she has a FitBit. It measured the trek as "111 flights of stairs" just to give an idea of how many lighthouses you will need to climb to duplicate the Pyrenees.

Fortunately we will only walk the last 200k, missing the Pyrenees. I googled the nearest lighthouse in Port St Joe and it has 131 steps, so that's maybe 9-10 flights. Whew! That's still a lot.

Past experience has been that the downhills are more damaging than the climbs. I hurt my knee 2 years ago on the way down into the Grand Canyon at the start of a 14 mile hike. I had no choice but to carry on and it was very slow going. I will be training on some downhills as well as stairs so I am better prepared this time. I may have to head back to the Smokies for all my vacations until the camino.

Fortunately we will only walk the last 200k, missing the Pyrenees. I googled the nearest lighthouse in Port St Joe and it has 131 steps, so that's maybe 9-10 flights. Whew! That's still a lot.

Past experience has been that the downhills are more damaging than the climbs. I hurt my knee 2 years ago on the way down into the Grand Canyon at the start of a 14 mile hike. I had no choice but to carry on and it was very slow going. I will be training on some downhills as well as stairs so I am better prepared this time. I may have to head back to the Smokies for all my vacations until the camino.

Your past experiences with downhills confirms why my right knee hurts after my trek today. And it was only 1.4 miles. This is going to take a lot of determination and commitment from that knee. I just hope the rest of me can go along with this as well.

Your past experiences with downhills confirms why my right knee hurts after my trek today. And it was only 1.4 miles. This is going to take a lot of determination and commitment from that knee. I just hope the rest of me can go along with this as well.

Annie I find squats (no weights) improves the flexibility and strength in my knees and legs - I make it a daily ritual to do a set of 25 just standing with my hands on my hips and doing slow squats. As you get stronger you can increase the range (how low you go down) and the total number. You have a year and a half or so - over that time you can significantly improve your lower joint strength and flexibility. You got this!

Annie I find squats (no weights) improves the flexibility and strength in my knees and legs - I make it a daily ritual to do a set of 25 just standing with my hands on my hips and doing slow squats. As you get stronger you can increase the range (how low you go down) and the total number. You have a year and a half or so - over that time you can significantly improve your lower joint strength and flexibility. You got this!

Good advice. I really hate exercise for it's own sake. But I know that this is vital to improving my chances of actually having a good experience on the Camino. Thanks.

I had injured my knee some time before walking the Camino. I find that using a triple-fold of tubigrip (elasticated bandage) under my knee as support is all that is needed to avoid discomfort - or worse. Terry prefers the double-fold 'over the knee' method. Tubigrip is available from pharmacies and comes in different sizes for size of leg so you need to ask to get the correct size. I cut off a third of the original for my support leaving the other two thirds for the longer support.

I had injured my knee some time before walking the Camino. I find that using a triple-fold of tubigrip (elasticated bandage) under my knee as support is all that is needed to avoid discomfort - or worse. Terry prefers the double-fold 'over the knee' method. Tubigrip is available from pharmacies and comes in different sizes for size of leg so you need to ask to get the correct size. I cut off a third of the original for my support leaving the other two thirds for the longer support.

Would this be what we call an Ace bandage in the US?

Pretty much, yes.

As a nurse, I find that ace bandages are fine as long as you are not moving very much. Walking for miles at a time without adjusting the wrap often is not only uncomfortable and useless as far as providing support but can actually be detrimental in that, in migrating, it can affect circulation. I would rather use a soft brace/support that can be adjusted easily if need be. But what do I know, my practice was mostly in psychiatric nursing.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As a nurse, I find that ace bandages are fine as long as you are not moving very much. Walking for miles at a time without adjusting the wrap often is not only uncomfortable and useless as far as providing support but can actually be detrimental in that, in migrating, it can affect circulation. I would rather use a soft brace/support that can be adjusted easily if need be. But what do I know, my practice was mostly in psychiatric nursing.

I used a neoprene brace, open at the kneecap, and adjustable with velcro straps. I' m not quite sure how it works but it relieved the pain until I lost the weight that was causing the problem. I never tried using an ace bandage but at the time I'd have done anything to make the hurt stop.

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing as we are not familiar with ace. Our tubigrip is made for walking support and when the correct size is used, in the recommended folds, they do not move or roll over.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi! This is doubling as my intro to the forum. I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances in September 2016! I can't get enough information! Like Daisley, I feel as if my Camino has already begun. So excited to learn from the folks here!
We're planning on walking staring in September 2016 as well! Yay! Buen Camino! :)

My husband I plan to do our first camino in September of 2016. We will be doing the Camino Frances. We will be in our early 50's.

We are from the interior of British Columbia, Canada. We are just waiting for our youngest to start university. We will get our kids settled in their respective schools and then off to do our camino!

We are already doing lots of hiking and walking, packs are bought and slowly gathering our other supplies. I have downloaded the DUOLINGO app onto my phone, committing to at least 10 minutes a day (which will add up in the next 700 days). My husband is reading the Brierly guide......he is the the planner :)

We are quite excited as the camino will represent a transition into a new phase of our life!

Hi there! We're from Seattle - and will be starting our Camino in Sept 2016 as well! It'll be nice to have some neighbors on the Camino as well!

Class of 2016! :)
My love and I are in the mid stages of planning on starting our Camino Frances for early September 2016. We're from the Seattle area - and would be interested to see who else may be going around that time!

Buen Camino!!

Welcome to the class of 2016. We'll be ahead of you by 4 months.

Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome to the class of 2016. We'll be ahead of you by 4 months.

Buen Camino

We are leaving latter part of June 2016 from SJPP. Been pouring over these forums, reading popular books on the Camino and still not sure what to expect as far as weather. Could be very cold over the mountains but then baking the rest of the time. Confused over what clothing to bring and whether to pack a light sleeping bag vs. a silk liner. Also, what about rain?

Second half of June / first half of July? Heat during the day will be your biggest problem, followed by rain (not so much before Galicia, but still, when it rains in the Meseta it really pours down!) Yes, it will be coolish in the evenings in the mountain, but unless you run into a freak weather situation, rarely really cold. I prefer a light sleeping bag over a liner because I be independent from albergue blankets that might or not might not have been washed as recently as I like it.
Buen Camino, SY

I'm back...I think my prior user name was caminokris2014, but it wasn't going thru. In May of 2014, I started in SJPDP and got to Pamplona. Even in that short period I feel like I learned a lot. It was so much more difficult than I imagined. First I was not well prepared physically (no ones fault but my own). But the hardest wasn't the walking, it was the loneliness I felt after I left Orrisson. Orrisson was great, I met some wonderful people and had a great night, just as I did the night before in St. Jean. It was a combination of my physical conditioning (or lack there of) and my mental state (suffer from depression but unwisely did not continue taking my anti-depressants thinking that the camino would not require it). When you have to stop walking at about 1 pm, it can be a very long night when you had no one to converse with in your own language. You are probably wondering why I am bringing this all up. Well, up until the last month or so, I thought that the Camino was just a past experience and I had no intention to repeat my my experiences. At that time, my memories wasn't happy memories. But I've kept in contact with some friends from that experience, and realized, I gained more.

I'm in a different place in my life, and the Camino has been coming back into my life. I'm glad I had the experience I had...good and bad, because it gave me a more realistic view of the camino and to not put those "rose-colored glasses" on. There are many beautiful sights in France and Spain, don't get me wrong about that, but I know that how I approach my next camino (shutting for October 2016), it will be with some changes that will be right for me. For example, I'm going to have my pack shipped to the next location, especially during the part of the camino that I feel will prove more enjoyable than worrying about balance. Also, I'm bringing more money...for those days that I am not able to keep up, I'm going to pamper myself in a nice hotel with a bathtub. It's my camino after all, right? Currently I am getting more into spiritual teachings and meditation so that when I am alone, I won't feel alone.

I hope I didn't bore you! But I do look forward to both the training I will be undergoing as I prepare as well as completing this camino in 2016.

Formerly caminokris2014, now caminokris2016

I'm in a different place in my life, and the Camino has been coming back into my life. I'm glad I had the experience I had...good and bad, because it gave me a more realistic view of the camino and to not put those "rose-colored glasses" on. There are many beautiful sights in France and Spain, don't get me wrong about that, but I know that how I approach my next camino (shutting for October 2016), it will be with some changes that will be right for me. For example, I'm going to have my pack shipped to the next location, especially during the part of the camino that I feel will prove more enjoyable than worrying about balance. Also, I'm bringing more money...for those days that I am not able to keep up, I'm going to pamper myself in a nice hotel with a bathtub. It's my camino after all, right? Currently I am getting more into spiritual teachings and meditation so that when I am alone, I won't feel alone.

I hope I didn't bore you! But I do look forward to both the training I will be undergoing as I prepare as well as completing this camino in 2016.

Buen(er) Camino Kris

I can join this thread! I know for sure that I am walking in 2016... I know for sure that I am putting 8 weeks aside from th end of September 2016... what I'm not 100% sure of is which camino :D

I think I want to walk from coast to coast - Cadiz to Fisterra... but there's still time for this to change :rolleyes:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm back...I think my prior user name was caminokris2014, but it wasn't going thru. In May of 2014, I started in SJPDP and got to Pamplona. Even in that short period I feel like I learned a lot. It was so much more difficult than I imagined. First I was not well prepared physically (no ones fault but my own). But the hardest wasn't the walking, it was the loneliness I felt after I left Orrisson. Orrisson was great, I met some wonderful people and had a great night, just as I did the night before in St. Jean. It was a combination of my physical conditioning (or lack there of) and my mental state (suffer from depression but unwisely did not continue taking my anti-depressants thinking that the camino would not require it). When you have to stop walking at about 1 pm, it can be a very long night when you had no one to converse with in your own language. You are probably wondering why I am bringing this all up. Well, up until the last month or so, I thought that the Camino was just a past experience and I had no intention to repeat my my experiences. At that time, my memories wasn't happy memories. But I've kept in contact with some friends from that experience, and realized, I gained more.

Hy Kris, I wish you a great experience and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Planning to start walking from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port sometime in November. 2016 is so far away...!

I guess being from Canada you'll be comfortable with a winter camino. Not for this Floridian, but it's your camino. I wish you a good one.

Planning to start walking from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port sometime in November. 2016 is so far away...!
Hello from Ottawa here too ........... I will be going sometime in the fall of 2016 as well. Still not sure if I want to do the Norte or do the Frances again. Check out the Canadian Company of Pilgrims website - there is an Ottawa chapter who normally have a meeting in the spring or fall each year.

Buen Camino!

Mark

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, thanks. I've been waiting impatiently for that first meeting.

Happy walking :)

I'll be leaving St Jean some time late September/early October next year. Would like to arrive in Santiago within a few days of my 60th birthday on 14th November. Well that's the plan anyway. I heard about the Camino from an on-line friend who walked last year during November. From the moment she announced her plans in June/July I was hooked! I have been reading books, blogs, forums, watching videos and just generally researching non stop. Oh, and making LOTS of notes! Have started walking, joined a local walking group and heading out tonight to a local bush walking group.

We have been talking about this for a year now and have just gone public with the news to our family. We are planning to do the Camino the summer of 2016. We are reading and starting the journey. We don't even know what we don't know yet. This will be helpful to learn from all of you! Terry and Kay

Keep reading here, you will have answers to questions you never thought of!

Can anyone tell me what kind of conditions you face when you walk in mid-late October?
I walked the CF last year during October / November and had pretty much everything, from lovely warm, bordering on hot, to ice cold rain/sleet/ snow and strong winds. Buen Camino! SY

Can anyone tell me what kind of conditions you face when you walk in mid-late October?

You will be testing the end of the best weather of the season in October, I think September is the best month for walking but once you are into October you may run into the conditions SY cites. I remember some of your posts from your first Camino and I think my recommendation would be to forget about doing any bookings ahead and find a group you like walking and stay at albergues with them. Just saying.

You will be testing the end of the best weather of the season in October, I think September is the best month for walking but once you are into October you may run into the conditions SY cites. I remember some of your posts from your first Camino and I think my recommendation would be to forget about doing any bookings ahead and find a group you like walking and stay at albergues with them. Just saying.
It's not finding the group, necessarily, but keeping up with the group. The best way for me to do this is to be in much better physical conditioning than I was last year. Also, there will be stages that I plan on just having my bag transported to the next step and just have a day bag (Especially during the first few days over the pyrenees!). I'll probably have a back up list of where I can always make a reservation, but I do agre with you about not trying to book to far out.

Question, I do want to make the stop in Orrisson, but will it be open in mid-October, or do they close?

Kris

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My husband and I are planning to walk el Camino Francés on June 2016. This Forum is quite helpful and I'm excited to read from so many that are also planning for 2016! It's great to have company as we approach our Camino step by step,

Carolina

So glad to see everyone posting here. Can't say that the Camino is on my bucket list because I'm not quite ready to kick the bucket! Originally, I wanted to cycle the Camino, but with a new knee, I now have every intention of walking from SJPP fall 2016. I will turn 60 in late November and my goal is to walk into Santiago on that date. Don't know if I'm being foolish and should just shoot for a wee bit earlier. My husband will join me in Sarria for the last 100.

I will turn 60 in late November and my goal is to walk into Santiago on that date. Don't know if I'm being foolish and should just shoot for a wee bit earlier. My husband will join me in Sarria for the last 100.

I turn 60 mid November and that's my plan too miniflyer, to arrive in Santiago on, or close to my birthday, 2016. At this stage my husband 'says' he's doing it with me, but to be honest I'd prefer to go alone. I'd be happy for him to meet me at Sarria though. I'm not quite sure how to tackle the situation. I'm banking on the fact that it's quite a way off yet, and hubby will in due course change his mind.

I turn 60 mid November and that's my plan too miniflyer, to arrive in Santiago on, or close to my birthday, 2016. At this stage my husband 'says' he's doing it with me, but to be honest I'd prefer to go alone. I'd be happy for him to meet me at Sarria though. I'm not quite sure how to tackle the situation. I'm banking on the fact that it's quite a way off yet, and hubby will in due course change his mind.

Once upon a time a long time ago way back in 2012 I decided I was going to walk the Camino alone .( in Sept 2014 ), . I really wanted to go reflect , have a spiritual experience , find or lose whatever one finds or loses on the "Way". One road block to walking alone was my loving wife of 33 yrs , she refused to let me do this without her . There were many GOOD reasons for her insistence , health being primary . she would worry if she wasn't there taking care of me , making sure I did things the "Right Way" . I had to cave in ,, I figured she would back out eventually . Funny part , she thought I would back out .as a matter of fact , she was CERTAIN I was going to cave in. ( that's what she told the neighbors, who later told me ) .

So we trained and trained, read the books , joined the forum , moved closer and closer to that Dream vs Reality line when it's time to step up or step back buy your airline tickets and purchase up for the trek. Then came " The intense planning phase ". Planes , Trains. Taxi's . Hostels. what if's

So there we were , at that critical moment August 2014 , Ticket time , each thinking the other would step back . Well, we didn't step back , we stepped forward off that cliff , made the leap of faith. We bought the airline tickets .

The result was we enjoyed ourselves beyond expectations and worked harder then expectations too .We made it from St Jean to Logrono when my back , knee and hip gave it up . Being 68 can sometimes be problematic . So we threw in the towel . headed off the Barcelona to recoup , and then went home .

Now today ... I'm training again after recovery and medical treatment for slip discs and bone spurs . I'm training to go back to Los Arcos in 2016 May to complete the trek . She now understands and appreciates my needing to do the rest of this Camino by myself , we had plenty of special alone by ourselves as a couple time , few distractions , much needed time to talk it out and learn why we each were on the Camino . She was there from fear of not knowing what would happen me , not knowing really where I was , making her insecure . Me for the adventure, reflection, the spirituality . . So I go alone this time ... she's cool with that . So am I :)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Once upon a time a long time ago way back in 2012 I decided I was going to walk the Camino alone .( in Sept 2014 ), . I really wanted to go reflect , have a spiritual experience , find or lose whatever one finds or loses on the "Way". One road block to walking alone was my loving wife of 33 yrs , she refused to let me do this without her . There were many GOOD reasons for her insistence , health being primary . she would worry if she wasn't there taking care of me , making sure I did things the "Right Way" . I had to cave in ,, I figured she would back out eventually . Funny part , she thought I would back out .as a matter of fact , see was CERTAIN I was going to cave in. ( that's what she told the neighbors ) .

So we trained and trained, read the books , joined the forum , moved closer and closer to that Dream vs Reality line when it's time to step up or step back buy your airline tickets and purchase up for the trek. Then came " The intense planning phase ". Planes , Trains. Taxi's . Hostels. what if's

So there we were , at that critical moment August 2014 , Ticket time , each thinking the other would step back . Well, we didn't step back , we stepped forward off that cliff , made the leap of faith. We bought the airline tickets .

The result was we enjoyed ourselves beyond expectations and worked harder then expectations too .We made it from St Jean to Logrono when my back , knee and hip gave it up . Being 68 can sometimes be problematic . So we threw in the towel . headed off the Barcelona to recoup , and then went home .

Now today ... I'm training again after recovery and medical treatment for slip discs and bone spurs . I'm training to go back to Logrono in 2016 Sept to complete the trek . She now understands and appreciates my needing to do the rest of this Camino by myself , we had plenty of special alone by ourselves as a couple time , few distractions , much needed time to talk it out and learn why we each were on the Camino . She was there from fear of not knowing what would happen me , not knowing really where I was , making her insecure . Me for the adventure, reflection, the spirituality . . So I go alone this time ... she's cool with that . So am I :)[/QUOTE

Good for you Joe.
You can do it!

OH petitewalker! How good to hear your "Voice" . Thanks for the "Doit" :)

You know .. I often wonder how everyone from the forum "Sept 2014 Peregrino's" trek went ..I hear many made it the distance , some not so far , but besides completion or not , I rarely heard of the "Experience" from our friends , Have you ?.. How was your experience?

Now today ... I'm training again after recovery and medical treatment for slip discs and bone spurs . I'm training to go back to Logrono in 2016 Sept to complete the trek . She now understands and appreciates my needing to do the rest of this Camino by myself , we had plenty of special alone by ourselves as a couple time , few distractions , much needed time to talk it out and learn why we each were on the Camino . She was there from fear of not knowing what would happen me , not knowing really where I was , making her insecure . Me for the adventure, reflection, the spirituality . . So I go alone this time ... she's cool with that . So am I :)
What a great outcome for you and your wife DeadFred. Thanks for your post. And great news that you'll get to complete your dream next year! :) The thing is, my husband is NOT reading or researching nor is he in training, he will just be tagging along..... so time will tell. Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I had originally thought that I would walk the camino alone, from StJPdP but that meant waiting until retirement - 8 years away. Instead, I decided the last 200 Km would make a nice way to celebrate our 40th anniversary and would do it with my wife. She's thrilled. I'm pleased. And when I retire, I will probably execute the original plan. Having him meet you in Sarria sounds like a similar compromise. Buen Camino - to both of you!

Welcome and buen Camino!

My wife and I walked the Camino in the very early spring of 2013 - I started in Roncesvalles and she "met me halfway" in Leon.

Having walked halfway with Francine and halfway without, I can tell you that they're both wonderful for different reasons.

We're Catholic too, and though I could make a million recommendations, I'll limit myself to just this one: do not miss Vespers with the monks in Rabanal.

As I mentioned in my reply to Angel, above, my wife Francine (FrancineM on this forum) and I walked the Camino in the very early spring of 2013

In our earlier Camino, I had started in Roncesvalles and she in Leon. Well, we're planning our return for 2016, and this time we're both starting (good Lord willing) in St Jean.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I should say that we're walking in the spring - we're planning on catching a flight from Seattle on Easter Sunday.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hello. Can anyone advise on return travel from Santiago to the north east of England/ Newcastle/north west/Manchester. EasyJet run seasonal flights which don’t cover November when we will be...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
I will arrive at SJDP 1st of May .. less than a month to go ! Any tips? Should I train walking with my backpack ?
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.