• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Comfortable mens underwear

jostony

Camino del Vino
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015
Portugues 2017
Primitivo 2019
I am now approaching the last few things to consider on my list and seem to have left most boring but probably as important as everything else till last. Would welcome please your suggestions on which mens underpants are best suited both in quality and practicality to walk Camino Frances.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am now approaching the last few things to consider on my list and seem to have left most boring but probably as important as everything else till last. Would welcome please your suggestions on which mens underpants are best suited both in quality and practicality to walk Camino Frances.
I know I'm not male but my hubby wears fast drying sports trunks. He finds them real comfy and they dry quick for convenience.

Thanks for your suggestion. Apart from blisters and exhaustion chafing is my next biggest worry!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for your suggestion. Apart from blisters and exhaustion chafing is my next biggest worry!
Chafing was a concern and he hasn't had any prob with it. They are more expensive but you only need three pairs as you wash as you go. Worth the cost.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I go against the modern trend - I only wear 100% cotton (briefs) .... the best material to use, rather than a synthetic, is silk ... but then, you will display them in the refugio so it would take a confident male!

Problems with rashes and so on are not to do with material to skin but to do with microbes. It is like a warm petri dish down there so keep the skin and underwear really clean, at all times!

I take 3 pair of underwear, 2 under armour quick dry boxer type and 1 cotton of my most comfortable style, just to mix it up some. The cotton ones don't dry as fast but hanging on your bunk overnight will dry them and well worth the effort.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is a company in the USA that only offers items for traveler's. It is called Travel Smith. I know they are on the web. I have used there underwear for years. The best part is they are almost self drying, very quick. I know they will be going with me plus I also subscribe to commando also know as un at all. Your choice.
Buen Camino

Merino wool boxers. I'm from Ireland and not sure of their availability in other countries but as far as quality goes I'd highly recommend them. Check them out for sure.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And definitely don't wear cotton. I've seen people drop out of marathons with bloody legs because of the friction with cotton boxers.

So I guess I am right go commando then you are assured of not having any problems plus it make life more enjoyable.

Rohan do some wonderful ones; they're treated with silver so never, ever need washing - it's like magic! Seriously though they are light and comfortable, easdy to wash and dry in no time at all; available as boxers or briefs. They work for me, top marks.

Let me cast my vote for the exofficios - they are easy to wash and dry very quickly; perfect for the Camino. I've used a pair of their boxers for years when traveling.

I normally would never wear jocky or brief type underwear, but, in a fit of uncontrolled pack weight obsession last year, I took my scale to REI and found exofficio briefs weigh a few grams less than boxers, so I bought a couple. (They still let me into the store, but they do look at me funny.) That's one weight saving I regretted; my one pair of boxers was more comfortable than the briefs, although the briefs were tolerable.

Karl

To be different from everyone else, I took Uniqlo Airism boxer briefs.
http://www.uniqlo.com/us/men/innerwear-and-loungewear/underwear.html
They are much lighter than ExOfficios and were fantastic on the Camino. Stopped any risk of chafing and dried super quick.
Plus you can buy three pair for the price of one pair on ExOfficios!!!

Strongly recommend them.

Rambler

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Under Armour boxer briefs work very well for me, and I have had serious chafing problems with other underwear. It wicks away sweat and is sheer enough to stop any friction on the skin. I knew someone on the Camino that hiked it commando. He had concerns that the cold of late autumn in O'Cebreiro would interrupt his quest, but he was able to handle well below freezing temperatures without underwear and reportedly without long term ill effects. Some rain storms at just above freezing temperatures also tested his mettle, but he was on a vision quest and would not be deterred.

I've heard merino wool boxer briefs are comfy, non-chafing, and resistant to odor.

Icebreaker Merino boxers (150g/m or 180g/m weight). I prefer slightly longer "legs" on the boxers. My chafing tends to be from skin on skin rubbing (happens under my arms just below the pits as well), and a small tub of diaper creme works great for clearing it up if you catch it early, and dimethicone-based treatment helps prevent it.

The merino has the advantage of being really good at resisting odors, which can often be a problem with synthetic "tech" fabrics, and they dry nearly as quickly as tech fabrics.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used exofficios boxers on my recent camino, I did however suffer from chaffing a few times, a quick smear with vaseline sorted the problem, I really like the underwear and would still use them again

Underwear is a very personal choice, and I can only comment on my personal experience. I tried a well known brand of merino wool underpants and found them uncomfortable.
I finally just took my Marks and Spencer hipsters. There are many types, but mine were made of synthetic material, packed down very small, and dried very quickly. They are not expensive and were perfect for my camino.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/2-pack-microskin-assorted-hipsters/p/p22195716#product-info

I like those exoficios. Undies with elastic around the legs cause chafing. Using that Vaseline that's good for your toes would also be useful on your legs

I used exofficios boxers on my recent camino, I did however suffer from chaffing a few times, a quick smear with vaseline sorted the problem, I really like the underwear and would still use them again
Thanks I will order some and give them a try whilst training.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Jostony, Definitely don't wear cotton underwear...cotton will cause you problems! Hiking underwear is a personal thing ... I have tried synthetic boxers but found that they "rode up" a bit, so I tried synthetic slip type underwear from either M & S or Decathalon (very reasonably priced) and found that they worked for me.
Occasionally, I suffered chaffing, but that was usually from my trousers seam rubbing against my inner thighs, so I just rolled the trouser waistband down , so that the crotch of the trousers sat a little higher against my ...errr ..."tackle" and that sorted out any problems around discomfort..... having said that i do have in my toiletries a tiny tub of vaseline if I need it . A mate who is a builder swears by sudocream if he gets Jock itch.
Buon Camino

Hi, I met two Dutch guys in June this year, one had a very bad rash from wearing nylon jocks. I gave him some tea tree oil to rub on (painful but affective) & ladies panty liners to use for a few days to keep area dry. Worked a treat. I guess the quick dry nylon jocks he was wearing caused his problem.
Or you could wear a kilt like 2 other gorgeous young men I met on the way. I didn't ask them if they were "airing" their parts while wearing their kilts !!!!

I've gone from cotton briefs to synthetic boxers. I chaffed in the briefs all the time in hot weather. Never with the synthetic boxers. The synthetic compression briefs work well also. Commando aka Marine I do not recommend based on my years as a Marine Corpsman.

Corn starch is cheap and easy to find. Works as good as pharmacy preparations.

Happy Trails.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,

My issue with normal boxers is them riding up and chaffing, and with briefs my legs chafe against each other, so also no good.

I am going to try 2 different types and see how I get on.

The first I have is a pair of long compression shorts (LINKY) which I have been wearing for 4 days now, all day every day doing normal life... couple of 2.5km dog walks in a day then various walking around. I rinse them at night in the sink and leave them hanging to dry for the next morning - and so far, really like them.

The second pair I am getting are Marino shorts, though not sure if they will get here on time (LINKY) - as I did not want to spend £30 on them I ordered on eBay from China using New Zealand wool...

After training by walking daily up hills with a pack holding 30+ pounds of sand and getting rashes, I bought Under Armour Briefs--no more problems. BUT!!!!--took 3 pairs with me and had two pairs stolen from drying lines at albergues....similar briefs at hiking stores along the Camino cost 37 Euros!!! Any expensive clothes such as Under Armour hung to dry at albergues will disappear!

I loved my Lowe Alpine quick dry boxers. Not only were they quick drying but never gave me any chafing issues and 4½ years later I'm still wearing them most days and that's after being washed in the shower with me each time so they're definitely hard wearing. Some habits die hard! I did buy some Under Armour boxers last year which are comfortable enough to walk in but found they chafe my legs when I ride my bike to work so I prefer to wear my L/A's as often as possible, hence washing them in the shower each time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I prefer boxer briefs because they eliminate the chafing problems of regular boxers or briefs. Any of the brands listed in this thread will work, as long as they're made of polyester or polyester blends of quick-drying, wicking fabrics. I bought mine at REI, but your profile indicates you're in Cambridge, which I suppose is Cambridge, England, so you may not have access to REI, which is an American outdoor gear co-op. My wife and I both used a product similar to Body Glide, but not for chafing caused by underwear or friction on the inner thighs -- we applied it liberally to our feet each day and neither of us suffered a blister for the entirety of the Camino Frances. See http://goldbond.com/friction-defense.html . I'm not sure if this product is sold outside North America, though.

Hi jostony,

If it's not too late for me to reply it might be worth having a look here.

http://www.tauntonleisure.com/underwear/c1279

Buen (chaff-free) Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My husband is taking super light boxers made by Scottevest. Does anybody out there have experience of them?

"I once bought a pair of men’s boxer briefs which are very comfortable. I bought it from a site at $50. The product being very amazing, offers snug fit, comfortable and extremely functional. "

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Peers,
Hi Peers,

I am Paulinaa andrew. anyone facing sweaty butts here or the underwear is not comfortable? I bought a few brands for my husband but all not working.
Any brands for recommendation for a sweaty person?

Share with me your experience?

Thanks.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back