• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling and Hotels

jhespe

Wonderful and informative forum. There will be 4 of us cycling from Pamplona to Santiago starting September 1st. We are in our late 40's and plan to stay in Hotels along the way. I would personally prefer to "wing it" and decide on the hotel when we are tired and the town looks interesting. Will we have difficulty with full hotels? Do most hotels have a safe place to leave bicycles?
Thanks
J.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi j
Don't think you will have any problems just turning up. With a bike carrying on for another 10 k is rarely a problem. I never came across a hotel/ hostel that didn't have safe storage for bikes. Its useful to have a list which indicates prices of hotels along the way
Buen Camino
Justin
P.S A number of Albergues also offer private rooms, staying in these enhances the camino experience

Thanks for your responses, sounds like we can wing it if we don't mind a few adventures along the way.
p.s. Just watched "The Way" again last night for about the 10th time. Getting excited!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We biked from Roncesvalles to Santiago in April 2013. We generally stayed in private rooms, in hotels, a variety of Casa Rurales (bed and breakfasts), a few hostels, and a few alburgues with private rooms, as well as in one alburgue in a common room. We had no issue finding accommodations--or accommodations that could handle our two bikes. The bike storage varied greatly--a landing on the stairs inside a hostel in Pamplona, a parking garage or two in a hotel (locked to a concrete blocks), an unused banquet room in a hotel, in the basement of a hotel locked to a rail, in a few locked garages in Casa Rurales, and in an unlocked garage in Casa Rurale in O'Ceibrero (which seemed plenty secure given the small, rural location). After Pamplona, we did not book accommodations until mid-afternoon as we got a better idea how far we'd get each day (we generally started mid-morning, not at the crack of dawn like the walkers)--except that we booked in advance for O'Ceibrero (given the limited number of beds) and in Santiago, where we stayed at the HospederĂ­a San MartĂ­n Pinario, which had a limited number of pilgrim rooms.

Thanks for your responses, sounds like we can wing it if we don't mind a few adventures along the way.
Getting excited!

A large part of the what makes the Camino special is "winging it". I get nervous around pilgrims who can't stop and take in the beauty of a vista for more than 32.48 seconds because they need to make 27.654 kilometers a day to stay on pace to complete their Camino they planned 18 months ago. The Camino is an adventure. It needs to be experienced. Obsessive compulsive planning is a buzz kill when it comes to the Camino. I get it that details are important in your every day life. But this is not launching a rocket or brain surgery. Live it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What is the average duration in biking from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela? Would 3 weeks be enough for some sightseeing and cultural experience?

Gracie, we rode mountain bikes from Roncesvalles to Santiago--so that is one less day than riding from Saint Jean--and rode mountain bikes, mainly on the trail. We allotted 16 days, planning 14 days of riding and 2 contingency days. The 2 contingency days were burned up when the bikes did not arrive and with bike maintenance, so we rode 14 days straight. We had particularly good weather (one day of snow, but otherwise it was lovely with no rain)--so had no delays due to weather (and, while I have no experience with rain on the Camino, I suspect mud could be a real factor.)

While the ride can be done in 14 days (at least if the weather cooperates), unless you are an extremely strong rider that is not enough time to do the ride with a reasonable amount of time for photos, sightseeing, stopping at shrines along the way, etc. If I do the ride again, I'll be allowing three weeks.

There was a fancy hotel in Santo Domingo which wanted the same fee they charge for a car just to park our bikes against the wall in their garage. We went elsewhere.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wonderful and informative forum. There will be 4 of us cycling from Pamplona to Santiago starting September 1st. We are in our late 40's and plan to stay in Hotels along the way. I would personally prefer to "wing it" and decide on the hotel when we are tired and the town looks interesting. Will we have difficulty with full hotels? Do most hotels have a safe place to leave bicycles?
Thanks
J.

How many miles will you be riding daily . I will be starting my ride in Burgos on
August 30 and will finishing in Santiago on September 7.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many miles will you be riding daily . I will be starting my ride in Burgos on
August 30 and will finishing in Santiago on September 7.
We hope to ride between 50 and 70 km per day but plan on lots of flexibility. For us we want it to be about the experience, not the number of miles.

Good luck with your ride. We have cycled a few Caminos and never booked ahead. We have often booked that evening's hotel on the road during the day so we are sure where we are going, simple guide books like the CSJ's are useful for this. Never had a problem with the bikes as far as I can remember.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No problems for me when I cycled the Camino in May/June of this year. I generally started early (0630-0730hrs) and so ended early (1330-1500 hrs) and I always found a room or bed. Always provided with secure storage area for bike but good policy to lock it anyways.

http://bikeguy32.blogspot.ca/

Randy

jhespe - We're also starting off cycling from Pamplona on 1st September - after walking from SJPDP. Modern day realities of having to work to earn a living dictated the part walk / part cycle schedule.

One in early 40s and one in early 50s so maybe we'll cross paths a few times!

I'd be interested to know of any rough itinerary you have :)

A large part of the what makes the Camino special is "winging it". I get nervous around pilgrims who can't stop and take in the beauty of a vista for more than 32.48 seconds because they need to make 27.654 kilometers a day to stay on pace to complete their Camino they planned 18 months ago. The Camino is an adventure. It needs to be experienced. Obsessive compulsive planning is a buzz kill when it comes to the Camino. I get it that details are important in your every day life. But this is not launching a rocket or brain surgery. Live it.

Unfortunately, my "every day life" dictates that I have to be on a flight out of Santiago 15 days after arriving in Biarritz. I won't be planning every day to within an inch (or a fraction of a kilometre) of its life but I'm not fortunate enough to have time to just wing it every day.

The Camino is an adventure but jobs are responsibilities!

Don't get nervous about what others are doing. I'm sure they're capable of doing what's right for them and they're probably in the best place to judge. ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A large part of the what makes the Camino special is "winging it". I get nervous around pilgrims who can't stop and take in the beauty of a vista for more than 32.48 seconds because they need to make 27.654 kilometers a day to stay on pace to complete their Camino they planned 18 months ago. The Camino is an adventure. It needs to be experienced. But this is not launching a rocket or brain surgery. Live it.
Now, now Robert - you know that 97.334% of statistics are made up?? But I take your point - the Camino has many experiences and stopping "to smell the roses" or take in the views are all part of that experience. Cheers.

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.