• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Did movie: "The Way" motivate you...

Arn

Veteran Member
Hi,

Ivar recently posted that the Forum is "on fire"...well, any good arson investigator will tell you that the cause of the fire can usually be determined with a degree of certainty.

So, here are my questions:

1. If you are a first time pilgrim:

A. Was the Emilio Estevez and Martin Sheen movie "The Way" the first you'd heard about the Camino and,
B. Did it start the spark that motivated you to walk the Way?
C. If you had known of the Camino...did the movie convince you that now is the right time?

2. If you have previously walked the Camino:

A. Did the movie rekindle in you a desire to walk the Way again?
B. Did you suggest to someone, who you know had never considered walking the Camino, to see the movie and, after seeing it, they decided to walk the Way?

Arn

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Excellent question. I remember a couple who arrived in Santiago towards the end of the season last year. They were English, saw the film, immediately packed their rucksacks, drove to St Jean PdP and walked to Santiago. They were hugely inspired by the film and the camino. Their biggest question was how to get back to St Jean! I'm sure there will be many others.

Although I'm ashamed to admit it I'd never even heard of the Camino until about 6 weeks ago. A couple of days after Christmas I happened to watch "The Way" by accident. I really enjoyed the film & thought I had to do it. Seldom have I felt so inspired. I'm not a religious person but I knew it was something I had to attempt. The next day I booked a flight from Dublin to Biarritz for late March & now I'm little over 6 weeks from the start of my Camino. All my equipment & clothing is bought & my training is progressing, albeit a wee bit slower than I'd like. I love all the planning involved & am counting down the days until I start my first pilgrimage.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been inspired like this.
Good luck to all pilgrims on their Camino.
Dave

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am going to be a first time Pilgrim in a few months time and really cant wait! It is all that is on my mind.

A. It was not the first time I had heard about "The Way", I know a girl from Germany and she had talked about the trip before and if I am honest didn't really think much about it. One day after I finished work though I had a look in a shop and came across the DVD and purchased it and watched it as soon as I got home. This was the first time I actually found out what the journey was all about and what was involved.

B. After realising what the way was about and the varied reasons that people walk it I finally decided that it was something I really wanted to do and am starting later on this year. So yes it has definitely motivated me to become a Pilgrim along the Camino de Santiago.

We already have had several pilgrims stay with us who said the film was what spurred them on their Way. Only one was American. She saw the film, and was on the plane for Spain a week later!
I think we may see a "Way Wave" this year, akin to the Paulo Coelho wave of Brazilians and the Kerkeling Wave of Germans and the Japanese and Korean Waves of the past few years, all inspired by books or documentaries or movies.

Reb.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In 1998 I met Brazilain pilgrims on the Camino who were there because of Paul's book.

In 2004 it was the Germans.

In 2007 the Japanese and Koreans.

In 2012 I hope to meet the Americans!

Seriously, I think The Way is brilliant.

One thing I have been inspired to do this March is not to bring my Leki walking stick but to buy a staff in Burgos and walk with it to León. I already have a staff from 2006 but for various reasons I do not want to run the risk of the airline losing it, but I have been walking with it on my training walks.

If I meet a pilgrim starting in León who doesn't have a walking stick I will let them have mine. Maybe. It depends how attached I have become to it. :D

I am a first time pilgrim. I learned what the Camino was last summer through a book written by a Swedish author and decided then I wanted to go the following summer. I saw the movie a bit later and it confirmed to me it was the right decision and now was the time to go :).

I've wanted to walk the camino for years, but I've been overweight and out of shape for a long time, too. Seeing the movie re-ignited that desire and helped me get honest and motivated about being fit enough to do it so I don't set myself up to fail. To date I've lost almost 40 lbs. and have a much better fitness level. I have about 30 more pounds to go, so my plan is to walk my first camino in the spring of 2013. So in a way, yes, The Way inspired me.

Buen camino,
Karen

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'd head about the Camino many years ago and seen pilgrims and way markers while out and about in Europe however I didn't know about the film 'The Way' so it didn't influence me when I made my decision to go. That was down to taking voluntary redundancy which gave me the time and funds.

The first I heard about the movie was something from the CSJ announcing a screening at the British Museum on what was to be my last day at work. I moved the leaving drinks forward a day and went to see the film straight after making my escape. :D

Once we discovered that Martin Sheen was in it two friends decided to come along as well. They enjoyed it but I don't think it likely they will do the walk.

I now have train tickets to Bayonne and accommodation in SJPP booked and will hopefully start walking on 28th March.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My first introduction to the Camino was about 11 years ago when my mother lent me a book she had read called "The Camino", by Shirley MacLaine. She thought it was a good read and recommended it. All these years later I think she is regretting that she gave it to me! I couldn't put it down. And when I finished I couldn't stop thinking about doing the Camino myself. I got more books and researched it online. I knew it was something I had to do. At the time I had only my first child who was 2, so it was not my time to do it yet. Move forward 11 years and I have never stopped thinking about walking the Camino. I have 3 kids who are all old enough now to understand what I am doing and mature enough to be without me for the time it will take to do it.

I actually watched "The Way" a few nights ago. I liked it very much. It was inspirational in a different sense for me. More in a movie kind of way rather then from the perspective of someone's real experience. The message to open yourself up to life experiences came through loud and clear. My husband and I watched it together and he is thinking he will have to do his own Camino sometime in the future.

l also just watched "On The Road of Stars", by Neil Kirby and liked it very much as well. Peoples true experiences such as that and Mark Shea's, from overlander on youtube, is what really motivates me personally. It reminds me that there are true struggles I will have to over come and that it's not just wine and roses at the end of each day.

My opinion is that people are called by the Camino. Not everyone is. Still my mother has never had the desire to walk it, even after reading the book and hearing everything I've shared with her She is nervous for me every time I talk to her about it. Most people I know that I tell about it think I'm crazy! But it has called to me for a long time now. I'm ecstatic to finally get to answer it!

Buen Camino!

Heather

Exactly! That was the first I'd heard of the Camino. This was about 10 days ago & I've already ordered the main equipment I will need. Hoping to go late April.

Same here, did not think the movie would be as good as it was, 100% influenced my decision to go. Lived in spain and been there many times, but this is my first camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last Saturday a group of about thirty past, present and future pilgrims met for the annual "Gathering" in Williamsburg, VA.

Among the attendees were Smallest Sparrow and Angelo from the Forum. Additionally, George Greenia, Professor of Hispanic Studies from the College of William and Mary. George has taken many students on Camino and was an important part of the roll out "pre-screening" of The Way...here on the East Coast. George mentioned his several meetings with both Martin and Emilio. We held a raffle, the prize being three copies of the film. Drat!

The W&M Office of Global Studies is responsible for the pilgrimage program. “Walking the ancient pilgrimage trails allows modern scholars insight into distances, terrain, and the vast trove of architecture and art the pilgrimage trail left to our modern age,” said Greenia. “It also puts us in touch with modern pilgrims with wonderful stories to tell.”

So, the wave along the Way has begun. Whom else has been influenced by the release of the movie. More importantly...do you have your plane tickets yet?

Buen Camino.

Arn

The Forum set a new record for the number visiting the site in the last hour at 0937 today. "The Way" must have something to do with it. The English speaking world is looking for information on the Camino.

To be honest...it did.
I watched "The Way" about a year ago after a friend of mine told me I had to. I had been wanting to go to Spain for years but didn't want to do the typical "touring" around and going on "pilgrimage" at this point in my life just feels right. It's all I can think about. I've been called.
So the plane and train tickets have been bought, the boots are being broken in, the body is getting stronger, the mind and soul are preparing and my heart is ready. I'll be in SJPP on April 22nd, ready to walk :)

btw, with all the extra traffic on the Camino this year, should I be booking a hostel in St. Jean now?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Katie,

I would suggest you get a space in SJPDP…just in case. Depending on your arrival time, there are a few things about SJ that should not be missed: the Pilgrim’s Office…here you can get a credential, a scallop shell and up to date weather report up the mountain. Across the way is the: http://www.espritduchemin.org/English/welcome.html
I stayed there in 2008 and always recommend it. If the Farmer’s Market is open…you can purchase just about anything you’ll need for the walk up the Route Napoleon to Roncesvalles.
If you decide to break the trek up the mountain, consider staying at the:
http://www.refuge-orisson.com/
It’s a great way to ease into the Camino and meet some new friends. The view is fantastic, the beer (or white wine) cold/chilled and the Pilgrim’s Supper to die for.

Buen Camino

Arn

Yes, and though I had known of the Way for pilgrims in Spain, the movie The Way really made me decide to go in 2013. People (friends) say it is too muc, and I cannot be away for a long time, but I don't care. I really, really want to be a pilgrim on TheWay.

I first heard about the Camino several years ago when I was researching long-distance hikes that didn't require full gear. I've been toying with the idea ever since. Then I watched the movie last night and that motivated me to do it this year. I was already planning to do a hike in Italy in October so I decided to fly over a month earlier and do the Camino first. Have started buying gear and have a travel agent looking for tickets so I'm ready to pull the trigger on that when I find a good deal.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all!

About a year ago I watched a travel show hosted by Rick Steves that was about the Camino. I could not stop thinking about making the pilgrimage. I even had dreams about it.

Finally about a month later, I decided to walk the Camino and posted my intentions on Facebook. My post generated a lot of response, everyone was curious - this was before the movie "The Way" was being released in the States. I even had a fellow retired co-worker ask if she could join. I was ecstatic and made plans to make "our" Camino in September of 2012.

"The Way" was released in October of 2011, naturally I was among those for the premier showing. My friend also viewed the movie across the country in her home state of New Jersey. All went along just fine with our plans until one day last month (February) she decided she didn't want to a) sleep in hostels, b)carry a backpack, c) be away for a month or more and d) spend the money it would cost. Needless to say, she is not walking the Camino with me. :cry: But I AM STILL GOING IN SEPTEMBER OF THIS YEAR!!!!!

It appears I will be hopefully walking with another pilgrim I have met through this wonderful forum. Thank you! :D

I first became aware of the pilgrimage route in college as I was studying European history. Then, like a bend in the road, it disappeared from my view -- for a while...

Then, after college in '90, I was in Pamplona for the festival and I encountered my first bona fide pilgrims and learned that , indeed, people still take the Camino ... the encounter with the pilgrims Id call a profoundly 'spiritual' experience, tho at that time my behaviors and focus was anything but in the right frame of mind for a spiritual quest. I spent quite some time in Spain that summer, and fell deeply in love with the landscape and people --- and I have always vowed to return... what for, I did not really know besides the beauty of the place.

Then the road took another turn, then two... then before you know it two decades have passed; job, child, wonderful wife...

Late last summer I heard a radio program about "The Way". The images came rushing back to me. I read two books about the Camino and started doing some research. The Camino began to dig at my heart...maybe when I retire, I told myself. My wife became interested in it FOR me, though she had no desire to take the path herself.... heh, she's used to my little spirit quests and indulges me every couple of years when I have the compelling need to put on a pack and tromp off to the mountains for a week or two of solitude.

Early last fall she mentioned that the movie was out. Lo and behold, it was playing in our town. We went. She was floored. 'Is it really that beautiful?" --why yes, but I think (im guessing) that its a wee bit more rigorous than what was displayed... I dont remember any nasty blisters, or rain, or ... well.... what really happens when you are on the road for the better part of two months.

She looked at me and said =-= you must go , and you cannot wait so long. She insisted that I take the road. Cant do it immediately, have to train and save the funds, and it'd be a good idea for our daughter to be a little older. So originally I set a date for two years down the road. Then , fairly recently, I though maybe id put it back two more years so I could take time off in the spring to go...

Once again, she who is wise has intervened. Thats too long, says she... I MUST go before Im fifty. So we are back to the original date of Summer 2014 -- heat, crowds, and all. Ive been training for over six months now; have a few old nagging injuries I need to have looked at... the next couple of birthdays, fathers' days, and Christmases there will be new gear to obtain. But the past six months have passed so quickly that two years will come and go and it will be time.

And, God willing, I will begin my journey.

But in a very real sense , it began long, long ago when I was a different person.

It continues every night on my walk. And I have added a prayer for all of the pilgrims who are 'on the road' while I circuit my hometown... a prayer for safety, comfort, and companionship.

I have a shell from my side of the Atlantic, and I will deposit it on the Eastern shore.

And, best of all -- I will be joined by my wife and child at Journey's end....perhaps with a few friends as well.

Somehow, I feel as if my first Camino will not be my last...

Saw the movie on Valentines day, felt immediately called to walk it, will not leave until June 2013! Dream about it and constantly online researching it. So ,Yes! Such a strong reaction that my husband was drawn to it also. 15 months and we begin our journey together.
Buen Camino

A resounding YES. :lol: Never heard of the Camino before. Been to Barcelona twice, Cadiz (took train to Seville). Each time on a cruise and had one day to explore. I always felt a calling to visit the Monastery in the Montserrat mountains and each time took the tour. Awesome!! Although I enjoyed the architecture and historical sights in Barcelona, several people from our cruise had been victims of assault and pick pockets. Spain has not been on my list.

After watching the movie "The Way" (just two weeks ago) I was bit by a bug. An itch, a yearning. Can't explain it. I just turned 60 and recently experienced many major life changes. Looked up history of St. James, his pilgrimage, legends, etc. Then found this forum and became consumed. I have never done anything like this before.

My original goal was to get into shape and gather the needed supplies and walk the whole Camino Frances (solo) this time next year. Got boots, started walking, reading, gathering info. Then, husband explained that although he supports my obsession to do this crazy thing (thinks I'm biting off more than I can chew), he doesn't want me to go solo. My daughter said she could take the requisite time this May/June (2012). We have enough miles to book two tickets. Kind of Now or Never. So, I am Excited, Anxious and going crazy trying to put it together without "over planning."

This is my first trek, walk, pilgrimage. I've read that "one does not choose the Camino, it chooses you". I believe the movie made me listen to the Camino calling. Bien Camino. :D

I have known about the Camino (and wanted to walk it) for about 15 years. And I knew Sheen and Estevez were making a movie about it. My heart sank when I read that, because I worried it would make The Camino look like the beer line at the State Fair. Like Red Wahine, my husband really hated the idea of my going alone, but he couldn't take that kind of time away.
Then my son decided to quit his job and move to LA and go back to school. I was up in Dallas at the beginning of Feb. visiting him the day he quit, and I saw the movie in my hotel room. I asked him if he'd be willing to put off his move for a couple of months and go with me - and he agreed! We leave for Madrid on April 16th.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's interesting to note that often the significant other of the one who "gets bitten" by the Camino bug, isn't all that convinced, or supportive. It also appears, that although the kernel that sprouted the initial desire to walk the Way was planted in fertile ground, it may have been the movie "The Way" that further nourished the plant and brought it to full bloom. In addition, often that naysayer is now your biggest fan and cheerleader. Gosh, they, or another family member may also be going with you.

Whatever the motivation...you are about to find "your Camino"...how great it that?

Buen Camino,

Arn

Before my wife and I saw "The Way" together, I had been talking for many months about doing the Camino. We both assumed that I would go alone, since my wife's back problems would not allow her to carry her gear and she wouldn't endorse my carrying everything.

Seeing "The Way" inspired her to identify a small group with plans for enough support to make her walk possible. We signed up and will head over the Pyrenees in late May.

Now we can't wait!!!

I learned of the Camino back in 2002 when I was researching for a vacaction in Spain. I forgot all about it until this past Christmas when I caught the movie 'The Way' on my flight home. I didn't connect the movie with the Camino at first but it unexpectedly moved and inspired me in many different ways. Spiritually, religiously, as well as personally. I am planning to do the pilgrimage in July.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Absolutely it convinced me!! now planning for a 2013 late summer/early fall walk with my college buddies right before we turn 60!! Couldnt think of a better way to do it.

MM

A woman who had walked it in 2007, told me about it...told me I should do it. I completely forgot about it until I saw the movie. I came home and immediately got online to find out more. Now, I've got the end of Sept as my start date as well as someone to go with me!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I saw the movie and immediately knew I would do this.

I set the goal, while still in the theatre, for my 70th birthday in 8 years, but I feel sure I won't be able to wait that long. I had heard of it on a National Public Radio story some years ago but the film took me a completely different place. I am more into spiritual mystery than most people I know and have no doubt that this will be a great experience at a time when my life will be changing. I have been reading alot about the camino, including this great resource, and many of my friends think I am nuts when I talk to them about it. I wonder how many of them will experience it one day as well.

I am especially thrilled reading about young people making the pilgrimage. I expect their lives will never be the same.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the travelers are unaware.”
Martin Buber

Yes. I saw the movie a few weeks ago and while I enjoyed the movie immensely it wasn't until it was over that I started to think about doing it myself ... the idea kept growing and now I am obsessed. I have picked out the backpack and sleeping bag I want to use and ordered a few things online that I can't get locally. I've done a sample pack and I've weighed everything I have at hand with an eye to finding lighter weight alternatives :)

The only problem is ... my husband doesn't retire until next summer and I want to do it in the spring so I can't actually go until 2014 ... and I want to go NOW! Still this is something I'd like to share with him so I will try and be patient, I think he appreciates my restraint ;) I've already increased my walking and I've bought new hiking boots so they will be well worn in (or worn out) by the time I get to go.

Three years ago it would have been impossible for me to even THINK about attempting something like this but since then I've lost 100 pounds (just eating right and counting calories) and I am MUCH more mobile and active. It has taken a little longer for me to stop thinking of myself as handicapped by my weight however. This pilgrimage will be a celebration of my loss and how much my life has changed. It will also help to inspire me to KEEP MOVING until I get to join you all and hopefully will just be the first step to many many more adventures.

The days where I could not even stand for more than 5 minutes at a time are a thing of the past ... I no longer huff and puff after one flight of stairs ... I am walking 2+ miles a day on local trails these days and have plenty of gas in the can when I come to the end of the trail ... I can see me easily tripling that distance with no effort, time permitting ... beyond that I may have to train a bit ... I'll be slowing increasing my distance over the next year and travelling further afield as well to work in some mountain trails with some elevation gains and declines ;)

I am counting on my stubborness to get me over the inevitable humps I'll face along the way but I am going with the attitude that if it gets too hard, I'll just slow down or take a rest day or 2 rather than give up ... I'm pretty stubborn ... I want finish it but i don't care how long it takes me to do so ;) My biggest worry is my hip which tends to complain if I push too hard or too fast ... it gives me no trouble if I pace myself to my natural gait however .. I just hope that stays the course day after day of long walking. I've resigned myself to letting that be the determining factor about how much distance I can cover on a single day ... luckily it does not appear that walking makes the hip any worse though it just makes me pace myself .. distance is not a factor if I don't walk faster than about 2.5 mph and if the hip flares up slowing down usually fixes the issue immediately with no further discomfort. We'll see ...

I'm travelling to Spain next month (April) and will be starting my Camino in Pamplona in May. I've been preparing for months - talking to other travellers (including experienced Pilgrims), reading heaps, following this forum and other blogs, learning Spanish, getting gear together, doing training walks in the hills near home ... just can't stop thinking and planning!
But I only watched "The Way' last night, after buying it on-line recently. It confirmed for me that this is absolutely what I want to do - and more importantly, that I CAN do it. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie... it showed the Camino exactly as I've been imagining it.... the highs and lows.... but what I found most inspiring was the camaraderie and trust that builds between pilgrims... the sharing, support, compassion and understanding of one another's needs for company at times, and solitude and personal space at other times. I'll be travelling alone (because I'm a slow walker and want to do it at my own pace) but I'm looking forward very much to meeting kindred spirits along the Way and sharing many experiences.
As many others have said, the Camino has a way of calling to you... if you feel the call, you have to go. Buen Camino, everyone.

Hi Mystica!
Amazing to lose 100 lbs - well done!
You're certainly heading in the right direction - keep up the training. 2 miles a day is an excellent start, and you can slowly increase this until you can manage, say, 10 miles a day without too many problems. I'm in a similar state of preparation myself, and tackle the Camino in six weeks time. I'm up to around 11 miles a day which should be enough between albergues.
With regard to hip pain - join the club! I usually find Ibuprofen sorts out the aches, and carry them with me at all times. You can [obviously] buy them in France and Spain. In Spain you can buy 600 mg tablets if the pain becomes a bad problem.
The camino is NOT a race - just walk and enjoy.....
Buen camino!
Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

I have to say that 'The Way', despite being a rather good film, had no influence on my decisions to undertake my second Camino. That decision was made while walking the first. :)

'The Way' was released before my first Camino but as far as I am aware, it hadn't reached Ireland before I departed. I do remember reading about it though. However, I would have avoided it before departure as I wanted to minimise my exposure to other people's perceptions of the Camino, preferring that my first Camino should be about my own experiences as much as possible, rather than me trying to chase someone else's experience. That said, I did read Tim Moore's 'Spanish Steps' as it seemed very unlikely that I would be bringing a donkey on my own Camino. :wink:

The first time I became aware of the Camino was around 1995 or so when a travel show featured a short segment on it. I decided then that 'one day' I would walk the Way and then promptly forgot about it for about three or four years. Fast forward to 2010 and I'm watching a documentary about a young Irish artist walking the Camino for inspiration. With that reminder, I decided that for various reasons, the time had come to walk the Camino and began planning for my departure.

I'm sure had I seen 'The Way' on television, rather than the documentary, I would have had the same realisation. I think that the film has had a broader exposure than most Camino films and will serve to inspire many others to walk the Camino in the coming years. That said, I think that many people are unaware of the Camino until they see a film like 'The Way' and find themselves awakened to it. However they discover it, they will find themselves drawn to the Camino.

The movie has inspired me to head to Spain. I'm an avid cyclist and don't have the time to hike the Camino. Therefore, I'm heading to Spain at the end of May and plan to bike the route. I'm a little concerned about the ride since I've read a number of postings which discourage biking the Camino but I'm a considerate cyclist and plan to treat all with respect. I don't speak Spanish and I'm a vegetarian. Any suggestions as I frantically prepare for this adventure.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I first heard about the Camino in 1994 with a Smithsonian Magazine article and thought about it ever since. I finally “did” it last fall. “The Way” came out while I was walking and I've seen it recently on DVD. I'm glad that I walked before the movie... the albergues were crowded enough as it was! My concern for people who are inspired to walk it based on the movie... it is NOT the “stroll through a park” that the movie makes it out to be. When you stop at the end of the day, your first thought is not “where is the closest bottle of wine”, but rather “how badly are my feet damaged today?”. Please always remember “every pilgrim walks their own Camino”. No judging allowed!

No. I had already walked the Camino and was on my 3d trip to Spain when we ran across the movie crew. When we reached Santiago we heard they were hiring extras and applied. We were in the scene where Sheen's group is walking up to the Cathedral. We are also in the Cathedral scenes where the botafumeiro is being swung. We were some of the last lucky people to be able to put our fingers on the Tree of Jesse and bang heads with the apostle. That area was roped off to regular pilgrims at the time, although we had accessed it on prior Caminos.

During the filming, they didn't take time to explain to the extras why we were doing particular scenes. We were just directed to "do this" or "do that." It wasn't until we saw Estevez in the last botafumeiro scene that we understood why we were doing that scene. It was a great moment for us.

When we saw the movie, we had to play it super slow to find ourselves :::laughing::: but we really did enjoy it.

I thought it was a very good movie; and though people argue it didn't reflect the "real" Camino, perhaps it was a reflection of at least one person's "real" Camino? It's Hollywood, after all, not a documentary, so even if I had never walked the Camino, I would not have expectations because of the movie.

I know many people who had no clue about the Camino before they saw the movie, but haven't yet met anyone personally who was inspired to walk because of seeing it.

A. Was the Emilio Estevez and Martin Sheen movie "The Way" the first you'd heard about the Camino and,
C. If you had known of the Camino...did the movie convince you that now is the right time?

2. If you have previously walked the Camino:

A. Did the movie rekindle in you a desire to walk the Way again?
B. Did you suggest to someone, who you know had never considered walking the Camino, to see the movie and, after seeing it, they decided to walk the Way?

I learnt about the Camino in 1995 when I was about to cycle Europe, and after reading about it, I always wanted to do one, so I walked my first during the last holy year.

I then got the movie and watched it before I walked il Primitivo last year and then again before I cycled il Primitivo.

Once again I watched it last night as I am off to Sevilla tomorrow to cycle the VDLP.

I do find the scenery motivating, and I laugh my head off during the movie as it comes across as so American, but it is enjoyable to a point.

Friends of mine who do not understand why I am undertaking another have watched the movie and want to do it themselves. Kind of like the German book, which every German seems to have read and now want to do the walk.

For cyclists, personally you can't go past Bettina Selby. Her book was my first motivation to do this, and one other book which I would recommend is Your Camino by Silly Doll. As much as I know most of the info, there is always something you can find in there that will help you

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last night one of my friends messaged me about my camino. Since I started talking about it he's been telling me I'm nuts. Last night he watched The Way and halfway through he sent me a message that now he gets my motivation for wanting to go. :)

YES!

i first heard about the camino from a tour guide who had done it. i thought she was a crazy hippie chick.

then i watched a rick steves travel show where he briefly discussed it, 9sounded interesting) then i heard a rick steves radio show where he interviewed hape kerkeling about his book about the camino--I'M OFF THEN-- bought the book--loved it but still not convinced--then i bought the DVD of THE WAY and have now watched it 6 times!!!!

that did it for me. i will start my camino in st jean in late august and finish in muxia then go to tracy's LITTLE FOX HOUSE to 'decompress & reflect" what i learned.

i have been seriously training and starting to buy all the equipment.

but the "worse" thing that has happened is that i am ADDICTED the THIS FORUM! i can't seem to concentrate on work and read every post i can all day long-------------but i have 14 weeks to go so i'd better get some work hours in!

see y'all there!

In a word - Yes!

Despite being well travelled (including some in Spain), and despite being more-or-less Catholic - I had never heard of the Camino until February 25, 2012. I had been to Rome, Jerusalem, but the only Santiago I had heard of was in Chile!

Feb. 25-- I was relaxing after dinner, and wanted to watch a movie on my local cable TV provider. I read the short description, rented - and Wham. Within 5 minutes, while the police captain was describing the walk to Tom in the movie...I had been gobsmacked and KNEW this was something I had to do. I wanted to do something big as I turn 60 in 2013 - and that is the year I will go. I have much to do between now and then (getting healthy, etc.) - I am currently living in the North Arctic region in Canada, and am working to move back to my hometown of Toronto next year. There, I hope to connect with others who have done the walk - or who want to go.

But I plan to go alone, though I am open to sharing time en route with others.

So...February 25 changed everything. This is something I am called to do...the physicality...the chasing personal demons...the time to be alone and sift through my life...make plans for the late afternoon years of my life...

Who'd have thought a movie would impact me like this one did.

Rebekah Scott said:
I think we may see a "Way Wave" this year, akin to the Paulo Coelho wave of Brazilians and the Kerkeling Wave of Germans and the Japanese and Korean Waves of the past few years, all inspired by books or documentaries or movies.
... and therefore be prepared accordingly on the Camino, whether hospitaleros or caminantes.
Off track I admit not to be imaginative enough and launch the next book/film/whatever activity to make a bestseller and flood the Camino with fans who help subvention the Spanish economy.
Santiago: here we come!

Mysticl, a tremendous achievement, I envy you and I endeavor to join you at a healthier weight.

I watched The Way near the end of April 2012 and it was the first time to hear of the Camino. I liked the concept of the movie, the characters and the chemistry of the ensemble. But by the end of the movie I was convinced that I had to do this, I had to walk the Camino. When people asked why, I did not have an answer. This is very unusual for me. I typically have plans for when plan “A” falls apart before I talk about anything.

Did it spark the motivation to walk the Camino? I think it sparks the interest in everyone, the question is if that spark finds suitable fuel and pushes the person to take action, and that why is important.

I have been thinking for about two weeks now on my why. For me, a day is like the guy with the spinning plates on the end of sticks; running back and forth to spin them faster before they fall off which one always does. So many problems with so little time every day to keep them moving. I think I have lost my way with all the action with so few worthwhile results. Walking the Camino is (I believe) a process of steps, planning, and training, coming up with the gear, and training, thinking, and then doing with all that entails. It is a gestalt, an entire thing. To take it from conception though completion is compelling. I am sure this thought in process will change in the coming eleven months of preparation and again in the days on the Camino.

Arn said:
Hi,

Ivar recently posted that the Forum is "on fire"...well, any good arson investigator will tell you that the cause of the fire can usually be determined with a degree of certainty.

I am/will be a first time pilgrim.

A. Seeing the movie 'The Way' was not my first time hearing about the Camino. The first time was years ago reading Shirley MacLaine's book 'The Camino'.

B. Seeing the movie did not immediately spark a motivation to walk 'the Way'. I did like the movie, I thought that others walking was a cool thing but never thought of myself walking the Camino.

C. I don't know the answer to this one. I saw the movie back in February I think. I never thought of myself walking the Camino until the end of April/first of May. I think it was a combination/culmination of a number influences.

1) my general seeking nature- always been a seeker of truth, of knowledge, of spiritual paths.
2) my love of travel
3) seeing the movie
4) having a conversation with one of our service techs about his son hiking the Appalachian Trail
5) my wanting to attain a healthier body which includes losing weight
6) my general dislike of exercising just to exercise and wanting a goal to keep me motivated
7) and I think most important - The Universe calling me to the Camino

The last couple weeks I have been exhilarated. It felt so good to have a goal. To hug the knowledge that I was going to walk the Camino to me. This week fear has set in. I am doubting that I will ever be ready. That I will ever find shoes/boots that will fit me and be comfortable (an ongoing saga). That I will get over there and my
(a) knee,
(b) ankle,
(c) feet,
(d) back or
(e) all of the above
will give out on me and I will spend my Camino sitting in a hotel somewhere in Spain. :roll:
While I know this is a natural stage, I also know that this could be a reality no matter how well I prepare. Am I going to let my fear stop me from going? NO! But it is something I will have to work through.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Arn said:
Hi,

Arn

I will be a first timer in October 2012, so in answer to your questions...
A. I had planned on doing the Camino Portugues for my 50th birthday in October 2011, but work conflicts for my partner prohibited us from going, so we made the commitment that no matter what we will go in October.. I even have hotels etc planned for us for our trip after the Camino. That said, the movie The Way came out here in Michigan just when I was SUPPOSED to be on the Camino! Being able to see what I was missing only secured my resolve to get there this year no matter what! I am also glad that I have been planning on going on the Camino Portugues instead of The French way, since that is the focus of the movie and the one everyone seems to be going on.
B. It make the spark to go this year much more bright. If my partner cannot go, I will be posting for a walking partner because this year I will not be deterred :D
C. Yes. After watching the movie on the day it was released here in MI at the theaters, I cried. After I watched the DVD I purchased numerous times, I cried. When I hear the soundtrack on my IPod, I cried. All happy tears that this pilgrimage is coming to fruition in only a few short months. With each picture I see of anything along Camino Portugues or of Santiago, I can feel those funny feelings in my stomach and excitement that I will be there soon.

Everyone has their own reason for walking a Camino... Mine is part my Catholic religion, but the bigger part is for me to unplug from daily life, reflect on what I have done and accomplished, dream of what I want to be when I grow up :), and enjoy every second as I put one foot in front of the other and join the thousands before me to take the next steps to a better me :)

Red

I saw the movie on Netflixs when it came out . I had heard about in in the late part of 2011 and immediately put it on my list. But even before I saw the movie I had been moving toward "something," doing alot of spiritual reading , trying to get closer to nature, God..I just wasn't sure. I wasn't sure how to operationalize all that I was feeling. After seeing the movie, I knew I had to do a pilgrimage, be it alone or with my husband; My husband may start out with me if he is healthy, but nevertheless, God willing, I will be starting my camino 9/20/12.
Debbie In NH

The first time I heard about the Camino was maybe about six years ago when I saw a documentary by the BBC or RTE on the Celtic connections. I put it on my list of things to do but was always pushed down because of the time it would take. I thought, "How cool but who can take that much time off work?" So I checked off boxes of other small adventures first. Kilimanjaro was to be my big adventure but sadly it's no longer an option for me due to unforeseen circumstances.

I saw The Way as part of the international film festival and I might be the only one who disliked the film. I was looking forward to it because after removing Kilimanjaro the Camino was the next big undertaking on my list. If I'm honest, I tuned out the film plot, stereotypes and dialogue and just looked at the scenery and thought about my own life. Did it rekindle my interest or was it serendipitous? Probably more the latter.

It's been over year since I saw the film but it wasn't until my birthday last April when I something inside me just said, "go"... like knowing when to quit a job, when to move to a new city, when to break off a relationship or how I assume it might feel to know you want to be with someone forever or it's time to start a family. The Camino is my first born and it's due this autumn.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
David said:
I have now watched it 22 times - what can you say ....

I just may have you beat...I bought the DVD - mostly cuz I wanted the commentary included in the Special Features. Lots of inside info about the making of the film.

It also mentions in the credit section on the DVD that Sheen and Estevez have a new book out together...a journal of the trip, from 2 points of view (father/son), etc. Called ''Along The Way''....supposed to be out mid-May. I'll watch for it.

http://www.amazon.ca/Along-Way-Journey- ... 523&sr=1-1

€83,-
texastrekker said:
the book on martin sheen is now available from amazon--i just ordered it today--thanks for heads up.

I provided the link in my msg above...glad to be of assistance. I ordered it, too. While it's not *just* about the Camino trip, I think for us Camino-hungry people, it will be an interesting read.

PS: Just one additional note on the book, as listed on Amazon. When I keyed in Martin Sheen in the search string on Amazon, it gave me the softcover version for $28 (I use Amazon.ca). When I instead keyed in the book title (Along the Way), it gave me the hardcover for $18. Same book, just hard vs. soft. So, if you want to save $10, key in the title, rather than the author(s). :p

Since neither Martin nor Emilio have walked a camino, the book is definitely not about the camino! It pretty much has to be about Hollywood celebrities learning there is more to life than being a Hollywood celebrity...

falcon269 said:
Since neither Martin nor Emilio have walked a camino, the book is definitely not about the camino! It pretty much has to be about Hollywood celebrities learning there is more to life than being a Hollywood celebrity...

Thank you for the laugh.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Actually I thought Emillio did walk it. I'll see if I can find the reference.

Nope looks like I was mistaken but they did end up walking 250-300 km of it which isn't bad all things considered. He has also stated he would like to do it one day. One funny thing I found in the movie was the el Ramon character ... Martin Sheen's real name IS Ramon ... I sometimes wonder if it wasn't an inside joke ... the character (but not the name) was actually lifted from another work regarding the pilgrimage and was apparently based on a real character .

If you look it up you will see that although the title of the book is "Along the Way" the subtitle of the book is "the journey of a father and a son". and it is about their lives as father and son, not about the Camino de Santiago

As I am both a father and a son and as a father with both a son and daughter - two very different journies indeed - I am rather interested

Here is a review -
"loving account that's also very candid, staring unflinchingly at the painful moments, including Martin Sheen's alcohol-fueled psychotic breakdown on the set of "Apocalypse Now," seen through Emilio's eyes and recalled with the humiliated clarity of a self-conscious teenager.
Spirituality — Sheen's Catholicism and Estevez's quest for a personal spirituality, which eventually leads him to farming and planting his own vineyard — is at the heart of the book, as is the nature of family relationships and what it means to at once love another human and allow them to walk their own path. Though Sheen's wife and Estevez's mother Janet is dealt with sparely, it is clear that she has always been — and still is — the glue that holds the family tightly together." -- LA Times

"It's refreshing to find a dual memoir between a father and son from the same profession that's so honest and cathartic. Veteran actor Martin Sheen and his eldest son, Emilio Estevez, the accomplished actor/filmmaker, reveal eerie, often ironic parallel journeys, both personally and professionally. They've struggled as artists and fathers, and we come away with a deeper understanding of the sacrifices and compromises they've made in balancing craft and family. In many ways, they've actually grown up together during their remarkable relationship. What's so fascinating about Along the Way is this insightful back and forth. Sheen confesses what a horrible father he was during the making of Francis Ford Coppola's legendary Apocalypse Now. He was at his most self-destructive during this Vietnam opus, which eventually led to a near-fatal heart attack. And Estevez admits how much he needed his father's attention when they were on location together in the Philippines. Meanwhile, Estevez relates his own vices on the way to becoming part of the '80s "Brat Pack" generation (a gross misnomer, it turns out). Yet he overcomes his share of obstacles, too, in attaining satisfaction and enlightenment. "

:wink:

David said:
If you look it up you will see that although the title of the book is "Along the Way" the subtitle of the book is "the journey of a father and a son". and it is about their lives as father and son, not about the Camino de Santiago
:

I never said it was about the Camino - which is why I provided the link so people could read the reviews and such before purchasing.

It is about the father/son relationship, and the journeys - both metaphysical and actual - that they have shared in over 40 years together. Including making The Way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Work this out:

The film motivated me not to see it till I had been to Spain
Once seen, yes it was good, or was it just the scenery, but it is a hollywood film, and so are the actors!

Has it motivated me to go again, definitely not!

Now I reckon it will motivate people to go but also I think the numbers getting to Santiago will be a lot less than those who started out in the beginning! A lot more % wise will drop out!

I was actually first inspired to do the camino by reading Paulo Coehlo's the pilgrimmage, but the way certainly helped me to visualise it alot more. Although I did end up buying the DVD i would say that my father was very frightened about me doing the walk and im glad i didnt lend him a copy because of the risk that it shows, which isnt explained very well.

About two weeks ago I saw the movie for the first time. Really liked it. Because it was on Netflix I had access to it again...and again...and again. At the end of the week I spent time with an old student of mine and told him about the film. He immediately went out to his car, got his checkbook and gave me a few thousand dollars to get started on the trip. His incredible generosity and my wife's frequent flyer miles sealed the deal. Now I'm off (from Albuquerque) to do the northern Camino in late August and September.

I'm "training" at 7,000ft in the mountains of northern New Mexico. At 71, I still have a ways to go...I'd like to be able to do 20k (without too much pain) before I leave. If all goes well, my wife will do it next year. We both think it is important to walk the way alone.

Anyway, the movie is extraordinary and I encourage all my friends to see it. I knew about the Camino since Catholic high school days, but never thought to do it until I saw the movie...just last week.

I believe due to time constraints he drove it with his grandson ... who met the love of his life on the Camino and married her. He now lives in Spain in one of the villages allong the path.

Why The Way

It had always been Martin’s dream to walk the Camino de Santiago. After having the privilege of holding Mother Theresa’s hand, sitting with Pope John Paul II at the Vatican, visiting the holy shrine at Lourdes, and making a film in Medugorje, his next wish regarding his faith was to visit the Cathedral de Santiago by way of its namesake pilgrimage. He was in the middle of his 7-year tenure playing U.S. president Jed Bartlett on the West Wing when he seized a tiny window of opportunity to realize his goal, at least in part.

After attending a family reunion in Ireland in the summer of 2003 that celebrated his mother’s lineage, he had a moment of inspiration. He convinced a few family members to fly to Spain in honor of his father’s heritage as well by touring the Way of St. James toward Galicia, his father’s homeland. Unfortunately, seven days was all Martin had before needing to return to work in Los Angeles. Knowing this wasn’t enough time to walk the Camino, he pushed forward presuming it was now or never.

Upon landing in Madrid, he rented a car with friends and family and set out on a northern path toward the nearest Camino town of Burgos to visit the famed Burgos Cathedral built in the 13th century. From there they hugged the Camino west as best as possible via major highways, detouring at important locations to walk a bit each day. By the end of their trip they arrived in time for the Pilgrim’s Mass at the Cathedral de Santiago. The beauty of the northern Spanish countryside proved too magical to experience in such a short period of time. Martin pledged to return one day soon for a proper pilgrimage toward Santiago.
On The Way

Through a series of ongoing conversations between Emilio and Martin, the two decided to create a tribute to Spain to rediscover the land where the Estevez family was rooted. The Camino de Santiago served as the perfect partner in their efforts. And while Spain serves as the backdrop, the film’s primary theme of self-discovery belongs to everyone from all ages and backgrounds, as does the Camino, which has helped transform the lives of millions of pilgrims for centuries.

In the film, a father unfortunately comes to understand his son’s life through his death and along the road finds himself as well. The main protagonist of the film is the conflict we each have within ourselves of choosing a life versus living a life. This greater question of finding oneself is a matter of acceptance and choice. Given the circumstances of our lives, how do we understand ourselves, our family and our friends, and the choices we make? Do we blindly go through life unaware of our actions and how they affect not only ourselves but others, as well? What role does our community, friendships and faith play in our decisions?

The Camino, by its nature, serves as the ultimate metaphor for life. Footsteps along a well-trodden path may be our guide, but do not shield us from the questions that most of our busy everyday lives prevent us at times from fully recognizing. The road offers very little to hide behind. The process of life is life along whichever road, path, Camino, or Way we find ourselves on. Our humanity toward ourselves and others, our history and our future is what defines us. Take the journey of life. Buen Camino!

http://theway-themovie.com/camino.php

Oh Yes Oh indeed it did .. Laurie & I are not easily inspired . Our neighbor lent it to us ..as soon it ended we sat there dumb struck . We looked at each other ,smiled at each other and started planning . That was the beginning of our Camino, 2 months ago, the "boots on the ground" version starts Sept 2014 to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. Go Martin!! Go Emilio! GO CAMINO!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We finally saw the film last night. A friend had rented a copy and called me to tell me she had just seen a film that we really should see!
So, no -after having walked the Camino 4 times now, obviously the film didn't have an influence on my first Camino, nor the subsequent ones.
When we were walking in 2009, at the time that The Way was being filmed, we met a Dutchman walking for his son - an almost identical, but real story.
See my posting entitled A Dutch Pilgrim's story, originally posted on 12th Nov 2009 . Anne

Yes it did planing on walking from Leon or aorgusta next may I'll have two weeks will that be enough time and will I get the two stamps in Dublin and one in Leon if I'm starting in augsta or do you get the stamp from where your starting your walk thanks

Re: Did movie:

Paddyc83 said:
Yes it did planing on walking from Leon or aorgusta next may I'll have two weeks will that be enough time and will I get the two stamps in Dublin and one in Leon if I'm starting in augsta or do you get the stamp from where your starting your walk thanks

I would get my credencial from this forum [see below, send a donation] then get it stamped in the first albergue or hotel I stayed, then at each one I stayed at along the route. I can't personally see any point in getting the stamps in Dublin, as presumably you'll be flying or sailing from there. But if you want them on your credencial for some reason, it's not a major issue.
Buen camino Paddy!
Stephen

Arn said:
A. Was the Emilio Estevez and Martin Sheen movie "The Way" the first you'd heard about the Camino,

Yes and no....I knew there was a pilgrim path in Spain, but literally that was just it.....a tiny thought in my mind. I didn't know what it was called or know anything about it.

On the other hand, I did the 10 mile or so pilgrim walk in Toronto to see JPII when he was there for World Youth Day. That whole trip marked me, and I have always been captivated by the idea of walking tours/vacations/pilgrimages ever since; so this was just another piece to a puzzle that was slowly being assembled in my mind.

I answered before that, yes, it did cement my decision to go. I have a question and wonder if anyone can answer it. Did Tcheky Karyo the actor who plays the police chief in St. Jean ever travel the Camino? He has such emotional intensity around his role. Just wondered.

"The Way" was the first time I had ever heard of the Camino.

I watched it Easter of this year with my then-fiance. I don't think he really understood what happened to me that day. The movie was good. I enjoyed it but what fascinated me was that people had been aware of this and making pilgrimages and I had never heard of it. So when I started researching it I came across videos on UTube.

And this is what motivated me. The Brazilian lady in "Not a Bed of Roses" speaking about a pilgrim's heart. Something stirred in me, quickened and burst into flames, my pilgrim's heart. I woke thinking of the Camino and it is the last thing I think of when I go to bed. Needless to say, I am no longer engaged. My fiance offered to pay to send me over, so I could get it out of my system. I declined because I don't know who I will be when I finish. I barely recognize myself now! I am twenty pounds lighter from the training and I have an inner strength I did not have before learning of the Camino.

I gave up television altogether to save the money to go. When I'm bored, I watch the Way or videos online. I am no longer a couch potato so most of my time is spent walking. I've gained an appreciation for the beauty of God's world that lies just outside of my front door and the place I have lived all my life looks dramatically different from a walking perspective than whizzing by in a car.

I'm a new convert to the Catholic Church and I have had people ask why not go to Rome or Jerusalem? Why Spain? Why Santiago? It's difficult to put into words...I don't know. I just know that I MUST go.

I am grateful for this forum where I can say this and be meet with knowing nods rather than incredulous stares.

€149,-
In the category of "It Isn't Easy":
Rick, the fellow with whom I had breakfast and lunch yesterday in León, said that while "The Way" generally paints an accurate picture of the Camino, the Emilio Estevez–Martin Sheen film fails to make A significant point: This pilgrimage is more difficult than it looks. Since we left St. Jean Pied de Port three weeks ago, we have heard of three people dying on the Camino while we have been on it. And every day or so you pass a monument erected to the memory of a martyr of Caminos past. People show up for a hike and find themselves on a death march. The first day's climb over the Pyrenees alone is a baptism by fire. Estevez's character dying there is not just a screenwriting twist. It really happens. Not infrequently.

Blisters are not life-threatening, but we know people who have abandoned the Camino because of them. My friend Lindsey showed me a blister yesterday that has taken up residence under one off his toenails, fergodsake. I didn't know that was possible. I asked him to put his foot back in his shoe immediately. Please. I didn't want to look.
From a blog of a pilgrim who is currently walking.

If you are interested in staying at one of the places where filming for ¨The Way¨ was done, it is Hotel Akaretta which is 500m past Larrasaona. It is a beautiful rural hotel. If you stay here you will recognise many of the places used for the different scenes in the movie.
Sharon

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
While altitude changes attitude, I would elaborate that "Elevation is more than attitude." It's a physical reality that must be prepared for. I nearly crumbled during a local hike that was a strenous 2.5 miles straight up to a marvelous peak and view. But it was better to get some humility now versus having the lesson later. It was hard. The maps, the websites, everything about the trail said strenous. They meant it. That's why I train because a strong body is no good without a strong mind. I was almost to the top and I almost gave up. But giving up on King's Pinnacle was more than getting beaten by a mountain. It was giving up on a dream. Digging in deep requires will of mind and body working together. If one is out of balance, the other can't do it's job.

My parents taught me a long time ago if something is worth having, it's worth working for. So everyone who is not training, TRAIN. It's not a guarantee that I can reach my destination without dying but it does tip the odds in favor of living...Perishing because it's one time to go is entirely different than perishing from one's own stupidity!

Absolutely! I watched the movie last week and have been obsessed ever since. I'm not sure why I felt a calling for this, but I do. Planning to walk alone in Spring 2013, as my husband's health would not permit him to accompany me. I have already read a few books and devoured Internet sites. Looking to purchase my first pair of hiking boots shortly.

I think this is a mid-life crisis thing for me. I feel the need to go totally outside of my comfort zone for the first time in my life and hope that this experience will make me a better, wiser, more compassionate person.

Leanne

The movie was very inspirational for me too. While I realize distance walking is much more difficult than the "newbie" made it look, the heart of the reason for going made the movie realistic for me. There are many reasons to go and I am not sure yet why I am to walk. Just know that I have to.

Hi,

My husband and i saw the way last year,never heard of the camino before, my husband was so inspired. He is there at the minute loving every minute of it and so touched by all the pilgrims along the way ,he has met many new friends. So please God i hope to go next year with him to finish the camino on the last run. :D

I had heard of the Camino last summer and then saw the movie last fall and decided that this was something that I wanted to do for myself before I might not be able to do such a long walk. Luckily I am pretty fit, and I am planning on going next May, 2013, from St. Petersburg, Florida.
I am in preparation and think about this EVERY day. Something to look forward to, plan for and then live the experience, whatever it may bring.

I've known about the Camino for about 4 years and from that time have thought I would do it "one day". In 2011, I took an early retirement and thought I might do the Camino in 2012. Still I was uncommitted. I've read 4 books on the Camino and, since January, I've seen The Way 5 times. It enhanced my compelling urge to do this trail and I have now committed to doing it this September, from St. Jean Pied, the whole 800 kms. I don't know anyone who has the time or money or wants to do it, so I will be doing it alone. That makes me nervous, but I know I can do it! I've never carried a backpack for more than an hour, but will pack as lightly as possible (hopefully not more than 8 kgs), and have begun to train. I've bought new hiking boots, although I'm not sure what kind I really need. All experts have a different opinion. I live in the mountains in Vancouver Canada so have a great environment in which to train, building strength and endurance. At the end of the day, the trail will condition me. I'll just take slower, shorter days if necessary. I can't wait!

€149,-
I wasn't familiar with the Camino until I saw the movie, 'The Way'. I walked out of the theater strongly inspired to do a pilgrim walk. I invited my daughter and son-in-law to join me. Four months later we walked from Astorga to Santiago. It was one of the best experiences in my life...and I owe it to the movie.

I have posted quite a bit on here about my thoughts, feelings, and future. The movie began my inspiration. I was only going to do 10 days from Sarria to Santiago. But then I began reading the forum more, praying more and decided that at this time in my life I need to do the whole camino. So I resigned my $100K job, put my $375K debt aside and been planning this trip since May. I arrive in Paris on Sept. 6th, and plan on walking around the 9th. I have hope and faith when I come home I will find a new job and understand myself more. As of my first Pilgrimage, I plan to walk each step with an open heart to hear God, feel harmony and balance. No time limits, just the sounds of nature.

We actually saw the film on the way home from the walk. However, my wife and I cracked up in the scene where Martin Sheen leaves the Alburgue for the first time and marches down the street in the wrong direction. We did the same on our first morning. If someone had filmed us, the shot would have been identical. :)

I had heard of the Camino many years back but it did not seem like something that my husband and I would be interested in. Even speaking to a friend of a friend who walked the Camino Frances a few years back, we both just thought - wow, that's a long walk! I guess the time was right this year and when we recently saw the movie The Way, we were both instantly taken and drawn to it. Stange what a pull it has. We are not going to be walking till mid 2014, so a long time off, but using that time to prepare ourselves and of course read all the posts on this forum. To all of you currently doing the way, or about to start, I am extremely jealous, but know that I am following your progress here and thank you for all the advice and wisdom you post here.

The week before I left for another pilgrimage, The Way was on tv and I turned it off after 10 min not knowing that it was about Santiago de Compostela which our pilgrimage would include (my pilgrimage went from Lisbon/Fatima to Lourdes and finally Paris but Santiago was one of the destinations). I learned all about the Camino from our tour guide and was inspired by the pilgrims I saw on foot and on bikes. As soon as I returned from my trip I watched the movie and was even more inspired and motivated. I am shooting for September 2014 after I finish grad school but have already researched so much from the forum and the Internet. I am so excited about this that I couldn't help but get everything I would need for the walk! All packed and ready to go....just need to kill time now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Had been drawn to do the Camino since 1998, but always had an excuse to put it off. Then, after watching the movie, The Way, last November, I booked my flights and walked the Camino this past May/June. Wish that I had done it sooner; what a great experience! Furthermore, watching the movie again after you return is also equally exciting.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
almostfamous73 said:
I have posted quite a bit on here about my thoughts, feelings, and future. The movie began my inspiration. I was only going to do 10 days from Sarria to Santiago. But then I began reading the forum more, praying more and decided that at this time in my life I need to do the whole camino. So I resigned my $100K job, put my $375K debt aside and been planning this trip since May. I arrive in Paris on Sept. 6th, and plan on walking around the 9th. I have hope and faith when I come home I will find a new job and understand myself more. As of my first Pilgrimage, I plan to walk each step with an open heart to hear God, feel harmony and balance. No time limits, just the sounds of nature.
Congratulations!

...and Buen Camino!
Ivar

i always wanted to walk the Camino trail for years, and watching the movie made me realize that I have to just to it.
so I am seriously planning to walk it next spring, absolutely can't wait :D

I'd never heard of any of the Camino's until I'd watched "The WAY" I first watched it in May of 2011. "What a heart felt & very moving Film"
I was swept away with an unexplainable urge to walk this historical Pilgrimage, such an inspiration to take time away from your loved one for six weeks... So came the planning stage over 12 months of buying and trying equipment and a further 11 viewings of "The Way" along with this Camino Forum...
I started my first ever Solo trek starting in SJPDP on the 20th May 2012... This was to be a pilgrimage of mixed emotions at the start, with the severe weather ranging from driving rain and then snow with 60mph winds, "Yes" I did think what have I let myself in for, it didn't take long to put those doubtful fillings behind me, as the further I travelled the better everything became. Now turning into such a life changing and one of the most exciting things I've ever done. I met a lot of beautiful people and made some very close life long friends who will be walking with me next year on the Camino Portuguese...
I still haven't got my head around being back home and back to work, my mind is still walking the Camino Frances...

As John from Dublin Quoted "Maaaaaaaaddddddddddd for it...! YOUR MAD FOR WALKING"

Buen Camino

Bryan

No question “The Way” lite my fire. I will be 68 when I take my 1st step June 1st 2013. I am from the US. However, now live in Thailand doing volunteer work.

I was lying in bed after a long day with the kids from the orphanage and decided to watch my Netflix on my computer and up popped a suggestion to watch “The Way.” And did, I couldn’t sleep very well that night and awoke the next morning with what I call a “No decision–decision.”

What excites me about this it seems like everyone gets a different experience from this journey, and that’s what intrigues me. “Not knowing” is my inspiration!

I picked June 1st because of what Martin Sheen said in the movie, that he wanted to do the running with the bulls in Pamplona, after the walk which is July 8th. That’s always been on my bucket list. However, I don’t know if this will be added to my adventure.

I plan to do this in 30 days, but if it takes longer that’s OK; the bulls will have to wait till another year, although I will bring extra Band-Aids... :D just in case? Hope to see you on “The Way.” Jim Kaszynski

Jim, I am so happy to hear that you will be walking the Camino. At 68 yrs old, you will not be the oldest there. If you are planning on being in Pamplona during the running of the bulls, I suggest you reserve a hotel room now. The albergues are usually unavailable during that time.

After you complete the Camino, come back and let us know how you experienced the Camino.

Buen Camino

Thanks for the room suggestion. Yes, I will share all my experience with my writing, photos and video. Spending my time in Thailand getting in better psychical and mental condition. I'm Excited!
Jim

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
"The Way" did not motivate us to walk the Camino because we "discovered" it years before and have walked various routes in Spain, France, and Portugal on 10 trips. However, I enjoyed it both for its story and for the visuals of places that we had previously seen.

Ralph and I have just given a second round (the first round was a few years ago just after my book came out) of Camino presentations at several REI stores, and the Livermore Library, here in the S.F. Bay Area. We have had overflow audiences. When asked, the majority of those in most of the audiences have indicated that "The Way" was their first introduction to the Camino and they are thrilled to have seen the movie. Some people that we met already had their tickets in hand. Many were loaded with questions about what to pack, where to stay, etc. and we were happy to answer their questions as best we could and to refer them to this wonderful forum us well.

Susan "Backpack45" Alcorn, author of Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago

Yes, I have to admit that if my husband didn't bring home this movie in May, I absolutely would never have thought to do this walk. Now ever since, I have been overwhelmingly obsessed by it. I eat, sleep, drink and walk this movie. There has not been a day since that I do not think about it. March 17th I will be leaving Denver to attempt this adventure.

Yes, The Way definitely motivated me to choose walking the Camino del Norte as an adventure I wanted to try in honor of my 60th year. I was searching for something to challenge myself. The film & several books I read convinced me going for a long walk in Spain was that challenge. Completed my journey in September '12. Thank you Martin & thank you Emilio !!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.