• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Does the Miam Miam Dodo IPhone app work well?

happymarkos

HappyMark
Time of past OR future Camino
2023. Finish the VDLP. Zamora to Santiago.
Hi
I have the Miam Miam Dodo book and also Alison Raju's one on the route from Le Puy and want to reduce unnecessary weight. Does the app on the iPhone work sufficiently well to identify all the paths, crossroads etc to St Jean PP. (assuming I have a French sim card)
Also I see there is a companion app iOdyssee which appears to show accommodation; is this correct and once again will it be good enough to find phone numbers etc along the way to book accommodation? (my French is poor)
Appreciate all help.
many thanks

Mark

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Mark,
I have the iPhone app iMiam and have also downloaded the LePuy/GR65 app. My understanding is that you need both to use the iMiam app. However my French is non-existent and I have not been able to work out how to marry the two apps. I am not even sure if the app you mention is the same as the one that i have downloaded. Unfortunately i have not been able to copy and paste the French Description that is written in French on the iTuens page and convert it to English to get some idea about the app. This would be slow and tedious but I am prepared to investigate how to do this.

I am intending to walk the Le Puy commencing in early April next year. It would certainly make me feel more comfortable if I could use the app even with the French language.

Is there someone on this Forum who could translate the Description of the app for me?
Regards

I've used the Miam Miam Dodo app for iPhone both last year and this. It worked well. It requires no other app.

I don't have a French sim card. Once you purchase MMDD for this route, the guide's info resides on your phone. If you have phone service at all, you have GPS, and your location will appear on the iPhone maps.

See also this discussion: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...-miam-miam-dodo-for-iphone.19252/#post-171800

This route is well waymarked and you don't need any more detail than what the MMDD app provides, if that. If you think you've gone wrong, the blue dot on the MMDD map will help you get back to where you wandered off.

As for translating, I'm happy to help. I'm downloading the LePuy/GR65 app right now. But the description of that app is in English, so I'll translate the MMDD description next.

--Bill

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The description of the MMDD app iMiam is just marketing blather:

Here in digital format is the guide everyone's been using en route to Compostella.

Complementing all the printed trail guides that do a great job covering the history and geography of the route, MMDD has details essential to hikers: where to sleep, where to eat, at what cost?

Ranging 5 km to either side of the GR 65 from Le Puy to SJPP, it covers: religious welcome centers, hotels, hostels, B&Bs, camping areas, cafes, restaurants, post offices, bakeries, groceries, butchers, pharmacies, etc.

The prices and specifications are specified, so the pilgrim knows exactly where he'll put down his backpack, what his choice of accommodation might be, according to his beliefs, his tastes, and the thickness of his wallet.

Also designed to work for someone on horseback or with a donkey.

--Bill

Further thoughts.

The map in the MMDD app is actually a map of France. I used it before and after hiking to navigate in Paris, Montpellier, Bayonne, and Pau.

I've explored the Le Puy/GR 65 app a bit. The map looks fine and I like the fact it shows some geog features and offers an optional satellite view, unlike MMDD. There's lot of additional info but all in French.

Much as I dislike many details of the MMDD interface, I find it easier to review the options for accommodations in the MMDD app. And I can't get beyond the first 24km in the other app.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I will explore more. I greatly appreciate your translating for me. I bought the GR 65 as I had been told that this was required for the iMiam app. My understanding was that iMiam was a "shell" app and that's why GR65 had to be purchased. Perhaps that why it only covers the first 24 km. What do you think??????
I can usually work most things out but this one has me stumped.
Regards. Cejanus.

PS. I am walking the LePuy April 2015.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The iMiam app is a shell. Open it and select the gear symbol to open administration. Then select "Guides disponibles", which means "guides available". Then click on the purple pin to buy the Le Puy guide.

Bill

This is a well marked camino route walked by a lot of people. I have walked more obscure routes with no map at all. A list of accom is useful. The lightweight Miam Miam book is more than sufficent for normal navigation. I tear out the daily pages at start of day have them in my shorts pocket and discard them at the end of day. No need to worry about apps etc.

Hello Mark,
I have the iPhone app iMiam and have also downloaded the LePuy/GR65 app. My understanding is that you need both to use the iMiam app. However my French is non-existent and I have not been able to work out how to marry the two apps. I am not even sure if the app you mention is the same as the one that i have downloaded. Unfortunately i have not been able to copy and paste the French Description that is written in French on the iTuens page and convert it to English to get some idea about the app. This would be slow and tedious but I am prepared to investigate how to do this.

I am intending to walk the Le Puy commencing in early April next year. It would certainly make me feel more comfortable if I could use the app even with the French language.

Is there someone on this Forum who could translate the Description of the app for me?
Regards
Thank you Cejanus; my French is also poor.
Bill seems to be conversant with the MMDD app as well as the GR65 one.
I do not seeme to be able to access either from my mini iPad; any thoughts?
regards
Mark

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The iMiam app is a shell. Open it and select the gear symbol to open administration. Then select "Guides disponibles", which means "guides available". Then click on the purple pin to buy the Le Puy guide.

Bill
Bill
thanks for explaining this; I was not sure. Do you know if they intend to provide an English version?
regards
Mark

Hi again Bill,
Thanks I now have something to do working it all out. Greatly appreciated.

Thanks nalod - I was getting a bit worried about this journey but you have allayed my fears.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back