• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Does this make sense for a slow start to avoid burn-out?

bystander

Veteran Member
When I start walking from SJPdP next Spring I am anxious to avoid "burn-out" by not over-doing it in the first few days.
Is the following projected schedule excessively cautious or does it make sense it terms of building up strength, speed and endurance for the remainder of the Camino?
Bear in mind I am 68, osteopenic and have a titanium pin in my right tibia and I will not be in a hurry.

day by day for the first six days

SJPdP - Valcarlos - 12km
Valcarlos - Roncevalles -13km
Roncevalles - Viskarret - 10km
Viskarret - Akerreta - 17km
Akerreta - Pamplona - 15km
then the first of "proper" length legs
Pamplona - Puenta la Reina - 24km
then a rest day.

Opinions, folks, opinions please.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bystander,

Your proposed route is a good one and almost the same that I would follow. You should be aware, however, that the descent from Viskarret to Zubiri on route to Akerreta can be tricky in bad weather especially after crossing the Alto de Erro. Remember that you can always walk on the verges of the parallel road N 135. The distance may be slightly longer but the descent is significantly easier and safer in fog or mud.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Looks good allow me give you some inspiration: English follows

"Gracias a la vida" written by Violeta del Carmen Parra (Sandoval)

Sung by (who else!) Mercedes Sosa

Gracias a la vida que me ha dado tanto

Me ha dado la marcha de mis pies cansados

Con ellos anduve ciudades y charcos

Playas y desiertos montanas y llanos

Y la casa tuya tu calle y tu patio

…Thank you to life, which has given me so much

It gave me the ability to walk on with my tired feet

With them I have traversed cities and pools

Valleys and deserts, mountains and plains…

When I start walking from SJPdP next Spring I am anxious to avoid "burn-out" by not over-doing it in the first few days.
Is the following projected schedule excessively cautious or does it make sense it terms of building up strength, speed and endurance for the remainder of the Camino?
Bear in mind I am 68, osteopenic and have a titanium pin in my right tibia and I will not be in a hurry.

SJPdP - Valcarlos - 12km
then a rest day.

Yes

It seems similar to what I am intending to do in Sept… start out slow …. unfortunately due to work pressure I have not had time to train…… I have done long steep walks for days on end in the past so I feel that if I take things slow I will be OK.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree, it looks good. Don't be under any illusion - those are still tough days. You will still need plenty of positive self talk. I am The Little Engine That Could on the first days of the Camino: "I think I can, I think I can, I know I can, I know I can"..... If it is pouring with rain the mantra takes on a more religious flavour.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am planning the exact same stages for the first 5 days this September when my mother and I start from SJPdP (she is 78 and very fit but we're planning on taking the whole thing fairly slowly). We're then planning on a rest day in Pamplona then stopping at Uterga the next day as suggested above. Based on the comments here it sounds as though we and you have a sensible plan for those first days! It's also reassuring to hear Margaret's suggestion about taking the road into Zubiri, as I've been concerned about that descent too.

SJPdP - Valcarlos - 12km
then a rest day.

That's pretty close to what I walked for the first few days. Don't let those mountains and hills on the first few days fool you, it gets easier when the path flattens out and you build up more strength.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you, all of you (falcon, Wayfarer, Lise T et al.), for your recommendation of stopping at Uterga after the descent from Alto del Perdón.
And thank you, Margaret, for your suggestion of taking the slightly longer, but easier, route of walking on the verges of the parallel road N 135 after Alto de Erro, which advice I will follow.
I take it, Lise T, the private albergue in Uterga is the Hostal Camion del Perdón?

So here is my amended route, day by day, for the first seven days

SJPdP - Valcarlos - 12km
Pamplona - Uterga - 14km
Uterga - Puente la Reina (via Eunate) - 9.5km

Then, phew, a rest day!

Last edited:
Sounds fine. On that final day I went a little further as I had become more track fit so I kept on to Cirauqui. (Alberque there had a washing machine so I cleaned up the mud.)
Pamplona to Cirauqui
The next day was an easy day to Estella which is a lovely place and I treated myself for my achievements to get that far. AND the onwards. You are planning well, go forth and enjoy this most wonderful journey.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Neither Brierley nor MMD mention a shop in Uterga.
The web address for the Hostal is www.caminodelperdon.es tel: 948 344 598

On a different note, I am unconvinced by the argument that the church at Eunate is based on the Church of the Holy Sepulchre at Jerusalem. Instead, in my opinion, it more closely follows the plan form of the Basilica at San Vitale (548 AD) which plan was also copied by Charlemagne at Aix-la-Chapelle.

Shalom bystander-Greetings from Jerusalem!
Eunate is an Impressionist vision of the Holy Sepulchre - not even close! I live 3 kilometers from there and visit often. The best copy of the Holy Sepulchure is the church in Neuvy-Saint-Sépulchre on the Vezelay Camino, feels like home!
S.

Bystander,

As of last October there was no shop for food in Uterga. The private albergue Camino del Perdon, mentioned above, is a fine and friendly place to stay; they offer both private rooms and an albergue dorm, but only take reservations by phone. Santa Maria de Eunate, of course, is a taste of paradise. The church is NOT open on Mondays and unfortunately the albergue is now closed. However if the weather is good when you are there you might discreetly do a bit of ad hoc camping on the nearby hillside where there is both water fountain and picnic table. As always watching the sunset, evening stars, and morning dawn at this most special place would be both timeless and extraordinary.

MM

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello Bystander,
You know your capabilities better than anyone else so all I will add is, your plan looks sensible but, please be aware there are still some potentially difficult bits for anyone who may be carrying too much, or, even with the relatively shorter stages, who is tempted to go too fast.
Buen Camino.

SJPdP - Valcarlos - 12km
then a rest day.

I walked in Sept. 2013. I took the SJPdP to Valcarlos and then on to Roncevalles the next day. I wish I had done your proposed route for the next few days. I agree with another person on this forum about Pamplona to Puente la Reina. It took me 5 hours to get to the top of Alto de Perdon. It was too much for me to go to Puente la Reina. I would add one more stop before then just to be safe, especially if you are under no time restraints.

JohnMcM, thank you, I totally take on board your comments.
I aim to amble, amiably I hope, from place to place at a relaxed and pleasant pace.
I will almost definitively fall into the pejorative categories of hotel-gastro-vinogreno amongst other perceived failings.
Because of my hotelgreno category it means that the weight of my pack, as carried, will be about 3.4kg but I expect this will rise (by the time I leave) to, but not exceed, 4kg.
I hope not to be a taxigreno, but per force who knows?
However this snail intends to carry his shell the whole way!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The distances look pretty good mate except for the day after Pamps. It's a tough pull up the Alto de Perdon, specially if the weather is inclement. I stayed at Zariquiegui, an hours walk before the summit.
In September I was able to be at the summit at sunrise 7.45am, the next morning.
The other benefit was that I then had sufficient time to veer off and see the church at Eunate before heading to Puenta la Reina.
Regds
Gerard

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Cheers, Gerard, that all makes sense to me.
I'll put Zariquiegui into the list and take Uterga (unless the downhill stretch does me in) out and, as you did, then push on to Puenta la Reina via Eunate.
Best wishes
bystander
p.s. "I was able to be at the summit at sunrise 7.45am" - must have been a "light" night the previous evening!

I go with Gerard. I always stay at Zariquiegui and find myself climbing the Alto watching dawn break out. Only thing strange in albergue is that there is one bathroom with a wash basin and two showers. Nowhere in the showers to keep clothes dry though. There are two toilets downstairs and one was out of action this year. However I do like the place, very friendly.

Thanks, Gerard and Al.
Right, final version (I think!)

SJPdP - Valcarlos - 12km
Pamplona - Zariquiegui - 13.5km (www.laposadadeardogi.com)
(Zariquiegui -Uterga - 6.1km)
Zariquiegui - Puente la Reina (via Eunate) - 15.6km
then a day off

If the legs and feet have coped that far then, thereafter, I'll up the distances.

But being of a somewhat sybaritic and self-indulgent nature I am trying to make sure, in planning my stages, that at weekends (Sunday/Monday) I am somewhere guaranteed to provide food and booze at lunch as well as supper time.
I really don't want to find myself alone, parched and starving, at midday in some dusty street, all the houses window-shuttered and my only company some mangy flea-ridden feral hound frothing at the mouth!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Don't let other faster walkers overtaking you encourage you to keep up. Also to your ruck sack add 2 litres of water, that will weigh extra kilos!!!

Just a few points you may find helpful.
Consider having your first rest day at Pamplona. You'll have walked 5 days by then, and, as Kanga says,
"Don't be under any illusion - those are still tough days."
A day or so before you arrive at Zariquiegui make a reservation. Whilst the other towns have accommodation options, don't count on any there.
I made some rough/stony sections somewhat easier by moving a metre or so into the fields where possible and walking between the crop rows. Mind you, in September, the extensive wheat corn & sunflower crops had already been harvested.
Let the longer distances come as they may. They will come.
Regds
Gerard

Last edited:
I don't want to hijack, but I'm wondering where one gets all this information on different routes and kilometers...?
I have a book written by John Brierley. What other sources do you amazingly knowledgeable and smart pilgrims use?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't want to hijack, but I'm wondering where one gets all this information on different routes and kilometers...?

Age, young whippersnapper, age.... I started 14 years ago and the only resource I had was the Confraternity of St James and their typewritten guide - in case you did not get to this forum through their website, here it is http://www.csj.org.uk

It is still my "go to" resource, together with this forum. Look under the individual routes and keep browsing through the site. It looks simple but is like an iceberg - far more underneath than first appears. It will take you to multiple links, all of which will add to your knowledge.

Knowledge of alternative routes comes from many different sources; the walked experience of those who have gone before being the most valuable. Just browse through this forum. I've done a bit of trail blazing, some deliberate (some not...) and with all the online map resources it is not difficult. For example, I wanted to walk the route from Arles (described by Aymeric Picaud in the C12th) for which there are guidebooks, but my husband wanted to walk the Canal du Midi which is roughly parallel. It was easy to pilot between the two using online topographic maps.

For distances there are various widgets associated with maps, but this is probably the easiest. http://www.godesalco.com/plan

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We intend to walk from SJPDP to Orisson or Pic D'Orisson then go back to SJPDP for the night and next morning return to where we stopped and walk to Roncesvalles. Should we book a taxi to pick us up? Only problem with this is that we will have to nominate a time. Can we, or someone at the Albergue at Orisson ring a taxi for us? Ideally if we get to Orisson and feel really good then we would like to go on to Pic so prebooking a taxi to pick us up at Orisson would limit our options. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Looking forward to hearing others thoughts on this. I was planning something similar. To get a bit beyond Orisson on day 1, to reduce the 17 km a bit for day 2. I so want to go over the top, rather than via Valcarlos, but recognize my fitness may be an issue. Hence wanting to go very easy the first few days....

Last edited:
I haven't completed a camino yet, but i can tell you there is a refuge in Orisson, there's even reviews about it on Tripadvisor.com! It's called Refuge Orisson. They take reservations and if you stayed there it might be easier on your zen. That way you wouldn't have to double back, unless you wanted to.
~Blessings,
Mary

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I haven't completed a camino yet, but i can tell you there is a refuge in Orisson, there's even reviews about it on Tripadvisor.com! It's called Refuge Orisson. They take reservations and if you stayed there it might be easier on your zen. That way you wouldn't have to double back, unless you wanted to.
~Blessings,
Mary

Yes I'm aware of that. We won't be using Albergues for a variety of reasons. (long Story) And I would prefer to get a bit further than Orisson on Day 1. Making Day 2 a bit easier. Hence the idea to grab a taxi back down to SJPdP, and back up to our start point the next day.

We won't be using Albergues either because of health issues. Robo I haven't had any replies re taxis so I will send Caroline from Bouricot an email to see what she thinks. She has organised a taxi for us from Pamplona to SJPDP. We will be walking during September/October so I can certainly let you know how we went when we return.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Have found what I think is a wonderful place in Biskarreta / Viscarret , unfortunately they are already booked for the night we needed.
www.corazonpuro.es

Read reviews on tripadvisor and their facebook page, they sound like a wonderful couple. They also do pickups from Pamplona, stay overnight with them, then drop you to SJPdP the next morning... I guess you could probably leave some luggage there to pick up on the way so you did not have to carry it over the Pyrenees...

Hopefully next time!

There follows a rough projected schedule about which I would appreciated the ideas, criticisms and suggestions from the brains of all you experienced peregrinos!

I should add I will have all the info (Phone no.s, e mail addresses etc) on all the other accommodation along the Camino Frances if I can't follow the schedule as set out in the PDF document.
Which has been amended following Gerard the digger's observation!
p.s. have provisionally booked my Corazon Puro accommodation for April 2015 so now the nerves can really begin!

re: ROUGH SCHEDULE - SEE CORRECTION IN MY MORE RECENT POSTING REGARDING CORAZON PURO WEBSITE ADDRESS .

Attachments

• Rough Projected Itinerary.pdf
    68.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Lucky you ByStander, I see you got in at Corazon Puro - hope you like it.
It looks like a nice schedule, as you say though - just make sure you can change if you need to :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There was a typo in my rough projected schedule regarding Corazon Puro's website
Below, in my schedule, is a corrected entry for Corazon Puro
Apologies to any who tried to contact them on that address
And thanks to Istvàn for pointing out the error.

Attachments

• Rough Projected Itinerary.pdf
    67.9 KB · Views: 10

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back