• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

European Peace Walk July 28th 2014

kellyz

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Astorga to Santiago, 2010
Camino Frances SJPP to Muxia, 2011
Camino del Salvador, 2012
Camino Primitivo 2012
Camino Portuguese, Coastal, 2013
Here's a press release I received regarding the new cultural route from Vienna/Bratislava to Trieste. Sadly, I'll have to wait until next summer--but perhap this looks like a cool opportunity!
The European Peace Walk
28th July – 18th August 2014
www.peacewalk.eu
The European Peace Walk will start in Vienna on the 28th of July 2014, exactly 100 years after the outbreak of WWI. A "Symbol of our Progress,” the EPW will be a lasting social platform in Central Europe for all peoples to meet and share in our perpetual peace, whilst celebrating our rich shared histories, the disappearance of our borders and the bright inter-connected futures that we have together.
100 Walkers will walk 500km with us from Vienna to Slovakia, then through Hungary, Austria, Slovenia and finish 3 weeks later on the Mediterranean Sea at Trieste, Italy. The walkers will cross many borders as they pass through the hidden landscapes and beautiful towns of Central Europe. Nights will be spent relaxing in budget accommodation along the Route.
We are looking for dedicated long distance walkers to join in this international odyssey, as they co design Europe’s first transnational and permanent walkway dedicated to European Peace & Integration.
If you would like to be part of the new chapter of European history, have a sense of adventure and are interested in designing a trans-national walking route that will be used by generations to come, please register on our website: http://www.peacewalk.eu/register.html

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Here's a press release I received regarding the new cultural route from Vienna/Bratislava to Trieste. Sadly, I'll have to wait until next summer--but perhap this looks like a cool opportunity!
The European Peace Walk
www.peacewalk.eu
The European Peace Walk will start in Vienna on the 28th of July 2014, exactly 100 years after the outbreak of WWI. A "Symbol of our Progress,” the EPW will be a lasting social platform in Central Europe for all peoples to meet and share in our perpetual peace, whilst celebrating our rich shared histories, the disappearance of our borders and the bright inter-connected futures that we have together.
100 Walkers will walk 500km with us from Vienna to Slovakia, then through Hungary, Austria, Slovenia and finish 3 weeks later on the Mediterranean Sea at Trieste, Italy. The walkers will cross many borders as they pass through the hidden landscapes and beautiful towns of Central Europe. Nights will be spent relaxing in budget accommodation along the Route.
We are looking for dedicated long distance walkers to join in this international odyssey, as they co design Europe’s first transnational and permanent walkway dedicated to European Peace & Integration.
If you would like to be part of the new chapter of European history, have a sense of adventure and are interested in designing a trans-national walking route that will be used by generations to come, please register on our website: http://www.peacewalk.eu/register.html

This looks like a great walk!
I heard about it yesterday on Facebook and looked into it.
Unfortunately, it's too late for me to walk this year also.
But hopefully next...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just registered.

Angela, there's a lot of information they do not give on the website, like how apart are the albergues, how often can you find food, etc. Would you be willing to post some of that for us? I don't want to register because I'm not going this year, but I'm curious for more information on the walk.

Definitely interested in walking next year! Would love to learn more about it.

Angela, there's a lot of information they do not give on the website, like how apart are the albergues, how often can you find food, etc. Would you be willing to post some of that for us? I don't want to register because I'm not going this year, but I'm curious for more information on the walk.

Hi Annie,
I haven't gone beyond registering at this stage but as soon as I find out these details I'll message you and post on the Forum. I'm walking the VDLP in May and thought I'll detour to do this walk whilst I'm already in Europe.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This looks terrific. Not for me this year but I hope it becomes permanent.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Kris, it appears to be, and I'm hoping so because I'd love to do it. It's just too late to plan it this year, as I've already booked my flight.

I have a feeling that long distance walking may become a habit for me, something I may need to do on a yearly basis. I'll have to check this out for 2015. First things first..Camino Santiago here I come!

Kris

The European Peace Walk
www.peacewalk.eu
Hi, I just registered from USA (California) for the European Peacewalk and hope that as an artist I will be able to contribute something visually interesting to share with future walkers. I am excited about being in this first year group that will be "trying out" the route and newly established links along the way. (I did the camino frances in 2011) Being a seasoned walker..ie. older, 60, I am looking forward to meeting all the young people who are making this world a better place for all of us! January 83

Question...while this is a special inaugural walk of sorts with the dates, in the future will this be like the Camino where you can start walking at anytime?

Kris

Question...while this is a special inaugural walk of sorts with the dates, in the future will this be like the Camino where you can start walking at anytime?
It doesn't say explicitly but it looks like a walk which anyone can start anytime. This is what I found on their site:

The EPW is a trans-national,cross border initiative set on creating an integrated tourist platform along the borders of Central Europe to celebrate the present European culture of peace.
Open to all, the EPW will be a 550km permanent walkway with supporting services and accommodation provided along the way, which will drive a vibrant new tourism trade directly into the region.
The EPW will start in Vienna-Bratislava, and then pass Sopron, Szombathely, Maribor, Slovenj Gradecand Kranj before ending at the Mediterranean Sea in Trieste, Italy.
To be promoted to a new generation of Europeans, the EPW will soon become a recognised fixture of modern day Europe, and within a decade, is expected to have 30,000 participants per annum using it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have also registered this morning. Will already be in Europe hopefully walking from the Belgian Border to Santiago so will make a detour to Vienna.
Wow, that sounds impressive, especially when you call it just a 'detour'. It becomes a real trans european tour! (envy envy....;))
Wish you a great time!

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, I just registered from USA (California) for the European Peacewalk and hope that as an artist I will be able to contribute something visually interesting to share with future walkers. I am excited about being in this first year group that will be "trying out" the route and newly established links along the way. (I did the camino frances in 2011) Being a seasoned walker..ie. older, 60, I am looking forward to meeting all the young people who are making this world a better place for all of us! January 83

Glad to know I won't be the only sixty odd year old on the EPW. What a wonderful opportunity to help generate a new Camino. Look forward to meeting you. Angela

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi All.
Yep, it will take a while before the European Peace Walk can accommodate 30,000 over a summer period. That works out at 6000 walkers a month ( as in 5 months to a summer) - thus about 200 walkers a day. So tangible, but for the moment, we are starting small this year and keeping the numbers down. The walkers will brave it out and as they do, they will be aiding the future walkers for the years ahead (2015, 2016, etc..). To make the Route as easy as possible, our partners will be GPS geo-referencing all the accommodations, Stages, border crossings and points of interests. Exciting times !
If we don't see you this year, we hope to see you all next year.
EPW

Yes, I'm also signed up and very excited about this walk. I'm coming over from Australia for it, then about 10 days from Le Puy and then the first half of The Camino Frances, as time will have run out by then-we Aussies can only stay 3 months at a time. I walked from SJPP to Finisterre (and bus to Muxia) from September 2012-very keen to return.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am one of the lucky ones accepted for the inaugural European Peace Walk starting on 28th July. I am very excited by this, and honoured by being appointed the Irish Ambassador for the Peace Walk. I started serious long distance when I was seventy. To date I have walked from Le Puy to Santiage de Compostela, from Coimbra in Portugal to Santiago, from Ourense to Santiago, and to Finistera and Muxia as well as non Camino Walks in Austria, France, Sweden and Ireland. I have other walks planned this year in Portugal, Spain and Italy where my planned walk is from Lucca to Rome.

I am one of the lucky ones accepted for the inaugural European Peace Walk starting on 28th July.
Wow, I will meet you then the 28th in Vienna! I suppose you will have many km's trained when you start.. Enjoy your walks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The EPW will start in Vienna-Bratislava, and then pass Sopron, Szombathely, Maribor, Slovenj Gradecand Kranj before ending at the Mediterranean Sea in Trieste, Italy.
To be promoted to a new generation of Europeans, the EPW will soon become a recognised fixture of modern day Europe, and within a decade, is expected to have 30,000 participants per annum using it.

Since there isn't exact stages and accommodation list yet I'll try to speculate about the route through Slovenia where I live. Mentioned cities of Maribor, Slovenj Gradec and Kranj are all in Slovenia, so is Trieste just a few kilometers over the border with Italy. Trieste is actually on the coast of Adriatic Sea which is a gulf/extension of Mediterranean Sea ;)

I guess the route from Maribor to Slovenj Gradec will go over the Pohorje massif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pohorje) which isn't really tough to walk, but isn't a walk in the park either. All in all a beautiful walk in the shade of ancient forests with some nice vistas.

From Slovenj Gradec to Kranj one have to cross Kamnik-Savinja Alps group (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamnik–Savinja_Alps) which is tougher cookie as Pohorje massif. You're in the solid rock mountains in no time (highest peak 2558m) but panoramas are spectacular. The route could also go over much lower passes with asphalt roads etc.

Kranj to Trieste is another thing. From Kranj to Soča (Isonzo in Italian) River Valley you have to cross Julian Alps (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamnik–Savinja_Alps) at even higher altitudes and westward. Beautiful hikes, believe me! As mentioned before I'm only speculating on this but it seems very logical to me because in Soča River Valley there was a front line (AustroHungarian vs. Italian) with enormous amount of casualties. These events were partly depicted in E.Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms. And this event is named European Peace Walk in order to commemorate the beginning of WW1 so... And when in Soča River Valley you can continue south to Trieste on Alpe Adria Trail (http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/alpe-adria-trail.18613/) which is also a beautiful but in the first part quite hard trek.
But if the walk will go from Kranj south to Slovenia capitol Ljubljana and on to Trieste then you just might walk (that is from Ljubljana) on Slovenian Jacobean Way at much lower altitudes ;)

Ultreia!

I walked the Camino in Sept 2011 and will be participate in the inaugural EPW on July 28th. Am very excited!

I will be the Ambassador from U.S. With hopes that this walk will remind the peoples of the world 1100years from now that THIS was when people declared once and for all that country borders are only lines on a map. The co-ordinators just finish the trek and will be publishing all the details in the coming weeks, I prefer to let them finish up their planning work. I look forward to meeting some of you in July.

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For those forum members who intend to do this walk later this year could I ask any of you who have "My Tracks" or similar route tracking apps on the smart phones to record the route and post the files to the resource section of the forum, or email a copy to me, PM me for an address. I am really interested in this walk but will have to wait a while before I can walk it, I would like to get an idea of terrain profiles etc. Thanking you in advance.
Pat.

There are many who parade for victory when war is over, few who object to the beating of plowshares into swords.
I pray for peace.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For those forum members who intend to do this walk later this year could I ask any of you who have "My Tracks" or similar route tracking apps on the smart phones to record the route and post the files to the resource section of the forum, or email a copy to me, PM me for an address. I am really interested in this walk but will have to wait a while before I can walk it, I would like to get an idea of terrain profiles etc. Thanking you in advance.
Pat.
I'm planning to walk the first day of the walk and to track the route, I'll be happy to share it afterwards.
But I also just saw this notice on their facebooK:
The GPS and Route Defining is been worked on by the EPW and our GPS Partners.
So I suppose soon it will be available anyway.

Hi all,

The EPW now has a forum set up where you can get more info about the walk, an updated website, and a FB page.

This is the first year and a true adventure for those of us participating [I start on July 28th].
PeaceWalkers Forum
EPW Website
Facebook Page

Hi all, as part of his 60th year celebration, John is delighted to be doing the EPW and to be Ambassador for the UK ! He's busy planning and doing lots of walking. We are walking the Cotswold Way ( not all in one go) at the moment, which is great training, and stunningly beautiful. I shall be flying to Trieste to meet him, and hopefully some of you too.
Good luck and Buen Camino
Helen

I'd hoped to be the Canadian Ambassador for the inaugural walk this summer.. but my plans were such that I couldn't be in Europe for it. Shame, boohoo, looks like an amazing route! I would have loved to strike out on this untraveled path with other EPW 'pilgrim-pioneers' ;) but instead I'll add it to my bucket list for next year or the one after that... !

Hi everyone !

We are flying to Vienna on Friday and we start walking Monday. Big excitement here!

There is a ton of information on the http://peacewalkersforum.com/.
At this time anyone may read the site but only registered Peace Walkers may join.
After the first walk has been completed we hope to open the forum up to everyone.

Last edited:
Yes, keep us posted :)
Buen Camino :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm on the 2nd day of the EPW now. Still feels like I'm starting. Yesterday was a 9 kms starting day. Like it a lot. Can't believe all the work which is put into it voluntarely by the initiators. Thanks! Todays walk is all along the danube, 24 kms. Keep you informed, but might take a few days because of no wifi.... dobry den, jo seta!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
2014-08-19 12.14.30.jpg
Congratulations Domnall, can you us give an overview of the walk.
This, for me, was an extraordinary, fulfilling, stimulating adventure traversing 6 countries in the name of peace. I feel changed by it.
As with the previous caminos I have walked with my wife, Helen, it is the people who I will remember most: they were at the centre of the most pivotal moments. This applied as much to the connections with the lovely group I walked with as the kind, generous, open-hearted people we met who showered us with good wishes, heart-rending stories, copious amounts of wine, bread, salami & cheese (one such family had left their home in Budapest for nearly three weeks to live and receive & greet walkers in a distant town, respond to their needs, feed them delicious local food in the local school, and to sign the route for that and the following stage - this was just one of many acts of generosity I could mention); to the hostel owners and helpers, the majority of which lifted our spirits with the warmth of their greeting and willingness to help us in any way they could; to connections with the landscape, its culture and often tragic history (after all, peace was the theme and we were traversing the borders of six countries, memorably three on one particular day, who had experienced the ravages, in recent memory for many, of two world wars, the Serb-Croat conflict and, tellingly, as it was the 25th anniversary of its demise, the fall of the Iron Curtain; to connections with ourselves as we dug deep to keep ourselves and our group together.

It's a challenging walk but will be less so for future walkers when some of the rough edges are polished up as the first year's walkers give their reflections to the EPW.
I was in the first group out of Austria on 28th July, poignantly the anniversary of the beginning of WW1. I signed up as a pioneer/guinea pig of the walk knowing full well there would be glitches, that it would occasionally be hard and, apart from enjoying this great adventure, I would be providing valuable feedback not only to succeeding groups over the next fortnight but, hopefully, to the groups in the years to come.
It is not a camino in the sense of the Camino de Santiago, in that the way it is organised you walk with a group and you stay with that group throughout; there are defined stages so the options of walking a short stage are limited although you can drop back to the following group and create a rest day for yourself, as it stands at the moment. I don't know if that will be the same plan for next year. If you've had the good fortune of forming a Camino family in Spain then think that and then add some and then a whole dollop more. Group dynamics, whilst not dominating, do necessarily form an integral part of the walk and at times many felt that they were at the heart of some grand social experiment. 35 strangers meeting together in Vienna and then setting out to walk long distances and spend 23 days and nights together is an enormous challenge and inevitably had its ups and downs. Personally I have many friends for life from this experience and I have places around the world where I am welcome at any time and vice versa. Testament to the closeness of the group at the end was the sheer difficulty of finally saying goodbye and dispersing to our homes. So if that sort of connectedness with its associated challenges floats your boat then this may be for you next year.
Overall, I loved it. The only piece of advice I would give is this: "Trust in Allah . . . but remember to tether your camel". Keep in touch with the EPW forum and their Facebook pages. Be as up to date as you can be on the information provided. The EPW organisers are extremely helpful eg. we were giving feedback almost daily which was acted upon almost immediately by them to better our or succeeding groups' experiences. If you're someone who enjoys the unexpected there will be plenty of that anyway without walking into it unprepared. For me, there were no surprises, only 'surprises'. I don't know what form it will take next year, if there is a next year. It was a unique and inspiring experience which I am very grateful for having.
Love to all my fellow EPW walkers and thanks to the EPW organisers who have devoted years of their lives into getting this off the ground. Respect.

John Conway

Last edited:
View attachment 12893
This, for me, was an extraordinary, fulfilling, stimulating adventure traversing 6 countries in the name of peace. I feel changed by it.
As with the previous caminos I have walked with my wife, Helen, it is the people who I will remember most: they were at the centre of the most pivotal moments. This applied as much to the connections with the lovely group I walked with as the kind, generous, open-hearted people we met who showered us with good wishes, heart-rending stories, copious amounts of wine, bread, salami & cheese (one such family had left their home in Budapest for nearly three weeks to live and receive & greet walkers in a distant town, respond to their needs, feed them delicious local food in the local school, and to sign the route for that and the following stage - this was just one of many acts of generosity I could mention); to the hostel owners and helpers, the majority of which lifted our spirits with the warmth of their greeting and willingness to help us in any way they could; to connections with the landscape, its culture and often tragic history (after all, peace was the theme and we were traversing the borders of six countries, memorably three on one particular day, who had experienced the ravages, in recent memory for many, of two world wars, the Serb-Croat conflict and, tellingly, as it was the 25th anniversary of its demise, the fall of the Iron Curtain; to connections with ourselves as we dug deep to keep ourselves and our group together.

It's a challenging walk but will be less so for future walkers when some of the rough edges are polished up as the first year's walkers give their reflections to the EPW.
I was in the first group out of Austria on 28th July, poignantly the anniversary of the beginning of WW1. I signed up as a pioneer/guinea pig of the walk knowing full well there would be glitches, that it would occasionally be hard and, apart from enjoying this great adventure, I would be providing valuable feedback not only to succeeding groups over the next fortnight but, hopefully, to the groups in the years to come.
It is not a camino in the sense of the Camino de Santiago, in that the way it is organised you walk with a group and you stay with that group throughout; there are defined stages so the options of walking a short stage are limited although you can drop back to the following group and create a rest day for yourself, as it stands at the moment. I don't know if that will be the same plan for next year. If you've had the good fortune of forming a Camino family in Spain then think that and then add some and then a whole dollop more. Group dynamics, whilst not dominating, do necessarily form an integral part of the walk and at times many felt that they were at the heart of some grand social experiment. 35 strangers meeting together in Vienna and then setting out to walk long distances and spend 23 days and nights together is an enormous challenge and inevitably had its ups and downs. Personally I have many friends for life from this experience and I have places around the world where I am welcome at any time and vice versa. Testament to the closeness of the group at the end was the sheer difficulty of finally saying goodbye and dispersing to our homes. So if that sort of connectedness with its associated challenges floats your boat then this may be for you next year.
Overall, I loved it. The only piece of advice I would give is this: "Trust in Allah . . . but remember to tether your camel". Keep in touch with the EPW forum and their Facebook pages. Be as up to date as you can be on the information provided. The EPW organisers are extremely helpful eg. we were giving feedback almost daily which was acted upon almost immediately by them to better our or succeeding groups' experiences. If you're someone who enjoys the unexpected there will be plenty of that anyway without walking into it unprepared. For me, there were no surprises, only 'surprises'. I don't know what form it will take next year, if there is a next year. It was a unique and inspiring experience which I am very grateful for having.
Love to all my fellow EPW walkers and thanks to the EPW organisers who have devoted years of their lives into getting this off the ground. Respect.

John Conway

Wow! So so happy to read this John! Well done my friend, to you and your fellow Peace Walkers.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
20140805_210900_Rákóczi Ferenc utca.jpg Just back from the peace walk. It was a great experience for me as well.
We (my wife Ria and me) started in the first day together with John, but after a week we took a day's rest and continued with the second group. There are so many things to say, were to start!
First, I still feel so thankful to the initiators. To me they gave a present to the world and so to me. So much work was put into this. Thanks!
As John said, because there were fixed stages, every day a fixed group walked which had his own dynamic. The first day's group was big (30+), the second group had 12 people. Both were very different. Because it was the first year of the EPW there seemed to be different expectations about what the peacewalk should be, mainly in the first group. Is it a demonstration, do we need to talk to people and majors on the way about what we do, does it have a mission statement or is it a walk to celebrate the open borders and the peace there is? To me it it was the last. Just by walking in all these 6 countries with hardly noticing any border, with knowing how it was only 25 years ago, is enjoying the peace and the openness which there is now. I noticed a difference in where people came from. North and Middle Americans seemed to want to spread out a statement, while Europeans were quite surprised about this or even opposed to that. They wanted more just walking and celebrating.
The second group was nearly all Europeans, there was no discussion like this. We walked, enjoyed, struggled sometimes and celebrated (the non existence of) nearly every border we crossed.

As a walk it was challenging. While on the camino you can decide every day how far you walk, on EPW there were fixed stages, although there were pensions in between where people could stay. Especially near the end, the stages were a few times 35+ kms. One time nearly the whole second group decided to take a day off and took a taxi together. The amount of kms was just a bit too much. Doing this was part of the flexibility we needed. This year there was also quite some tarmac... This all was part of pioneering in the first year. It was part of the challenge, not really knowing what to get and how it did fit. I loved it! I'm sure next year changes will be made with more possibilities to choose between stages and more backroads will be found. Still, new challenges will come up :)

It was special to cross the borders and to see the landscape, the villages, the coffee! and the people change. In general local people were very friendly. Many times we were invited for coffee, snaps and wine and there were people offering lifts. In a few villages we were welcomed by local people and majors who set up special accomodation for us. A few times local people walked with us sharing their stories. Great!

Walking the camino and EPW makes me humble and grateful. Thanks world!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
View attachment 12893

John Conway

John, great and unique experience as a pioneer group in such a walk. It's indeed not a Camino, it's different, but with a lot of similarities. And of course special to walk with the same people day by day. Thanks for sharing this.

Any plans to publish some sort of blog/report with description of the route, type of accomodation, etc ???

"Hi
We have received a lot of emails regarding EPW2015, as many people want to book their Flights as soon as possible.

However, we can not answer, as we won't be making any decisions about EPW2015 for a long while.

In the meantime, please look at http://rusticrambles.com/ for some excellent European Hiking options ( at very reasonable cost$ ).

Hope this helps."
This post is from the European Peace Walks Facebook page. In case anyone was still thinking of doing this walk next year.. :-(

Dear All,

Just to let you know, Registration for the European Peace Walk 2015 is now open !

This year, from Vienna to Trieste will take 25 days. We have added 2 more days to shorten the daily Stages and have added some spectacular new hostels and adventures.

Please refer to our website as there is lots of info in our new FAQ section.

Hope to see you this summer.
--

European Peace Walk
www.facebook.com/european.peacewalk
www.peacewalk.eu

Attachments

• Epw_Live.jpg
    Epw_Live.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 6
Pat.
If you received a GPS track would you mind sharing? Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm in the first group leaving Vienna. Hope we meet up. You'll love the walk!

I just saw this. I'm really looking forward to it. I am registered for the new first group on 27 July. I know it will be very different from last year's Camino but that's what I like about doing this. Something new is just what I'm looking forward to experiencing.

I'm in the first group leaving Vienna. Hope we meet up. You'll love the walk!
I walked the last week and half of my Camino with two Aussies from Sydney last year. We had a fantastic time together. I'm looking forward to meeting up with you Angela.

Lo
View attachment 12988 Just back from the peace walk. It was a great experience for me as well.
We (my wife Ria and me) started in the first day together with John, but after a week we took a day's rest and continued with the second group. There are so many things to say, were to start!
First, I still feel so thankful to the initiators. To me they gave a present to the world and so to me. So much work was put into this. Thanks!
As John said, because there were fixed stages, every day a fixed group walked which had his own dynamic. The first day's group was big (30+), the second group had 12 people. Both were very different. Because it was the first year of the EPW there seemed to be different expectations about what the peacewalk should be, mainly in the first group. Is it a demonstration, do we need to talk to people and majors on the way about what we do, does it have a mission statement or is it a walk to celebrate the open borders and the peace there is? To me it it was the last. Just by walking in all these 6 countries with hardly noticing any border, with knowing how it was only 25 years ago, is enjoying the peace and the openness which there is now. I noticed a difference in where people came from. North and Middle Americans seemed to want to spread out a statement, while Europeans were quite surprised about this or even opposed to that. They wanted more just walking and celebrating.
The second group was nearly all Europeans, there was no discussion like this. We walked, enjoyed, struggled sometimes and celebrated (the non existence of) nearly every border we crossed.

As a walk it was challenging. While on the camino you can decide every day how far you walk, on EPW there were fixed stages, although there were pensions in between where people could stay. Especially near the end, the stages were a few times 35+ kms. One time nearly the whole second group decided to take a day off and took a taxi together. The amount of kms was just a bit too much. Doing this was part of the flexibility we needed. This year there was also quite some tarmac... This all was part of pioneering in the first year. It was part of the challenge, not really knowing what to get and how it did fit. I loved it! I'm sure next year changes will be made with more possibilities to choose between stages and more backroads will be found. Still, new challenges will come up :)

It was special to cross the borders and to see the landscape, the villages, the coffee! and the people change. In general local people were very friendly. Many times we were invited for coffee, snaps and wine and there were people offering lifts. In a few villages we were welcomed by local people and majors who set up special accomodation for us. A few times local people walked with us sharing their stories. Great!

Walking the camino and EPW makes me humble and grateful. Thanks world!
vely to read your reflection, thank you. Angela

Hi past, present and aspiring Peace Walkers!
I am signed up again this year - starting 28 July from Vienna with a group of repeat offenders ... can't wait!
Do you all know about the Facebook site and the EPWalkers Facebook group ... lots of info and memories being shared!
Happy and peaceful walking
Cressey

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back