• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Having to postpone my Camino

Trish MacGregor

Time of past OR future Camino
First timer
Hello everyone. Trish here. Just thought I'd let you all know that I'm having to postpone my early September Camino. My sister has been diagnosed with cancer and I need to be here with her. Thank you all so much for your help and advice with planning my trip. And for all your support and kind words over this last year.
Cheers, Trish xx

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone. Trish here. Just thought I'd let you all know that I'm having to postpone my early September Camino. My sister has been diagnosed with cancer and I need to be here with her. Thank you all so much for your help and advice with planning my trip. And for all your support and kind words over this last year.
Cheers, Trish xx
Trish, I am so sorry to hear your news. I hope and pray your sister responds well to treatment and makes a full recovery. You will never regret being there for her. When my husband was diagnosed with brain cancer, my sister called or texted me every day. Her support meant so much to me. The Camino will be there for you when you are able to return to it. May God bless you and yours.
Best regards,
Mary

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Cheers, Trish xx

Oh Trish, a tough time for you and your family. The gift of love is such an easy decision when a family member needs help, and when the time is right for you to walk the Camino you will. I hope there is treatment for her that prevents suffering and restores her to good health.

Trish, so sorry to hear this news. You're doing absolutely the right thing, and it will mean so much to your sister to have you close by while she is going through (and overcoming) this. Sisters are precious things. I'll be setting off on my Camino early September, and I'll be thinking of you and your sister as I go - you will both be in my prayers. As others have said, the Camino will be waiting for you when the time is right. Arohanui Trish, and kia kaha.
xxx

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Trish - so sorry to hear your news but the path you'll be walking with your sister will be far more precious. When I was diagnosed I hadn't spoken to my sister for nearly 10 years... but I had to tell her to get tested so I wrote to her. Almost her first words were "do you want me to come and stay and look after you."

She lived in the UK then but she moved to France (near me) a year ago... and we're as close as we ever could be.

I hope your sister makes a full and swift recovery and maybe she'll join you and walk too another time.

Sorry to hear your news as well LesBrass. Good luck.

Al, mine was a couple of years ago... I'm cancer free now and feeling good... which is why I'm walking :D

(sorry... I dont think I worded my first post very well... my sister moved to France because we became good friends again... not for the cancer :) )

Last edited:
Hi Trish,
I hope all will be well for your sister. The Camino will always be there for another day.

Al, mine was a couple of years ago... I'm cancer free now and feeling good... which is why I'm walking :D

(sorry... I dont think I worded my first post very well... my sister moved to France because we became good friends again... not for the cancer :) )
Pleased to hear both things.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cheers, Trish xx
Trish all the best to your sister as she deals with her cancer diagnosis, and to you as you accompany her. The Camino will wait for another time- but your sister's need is now.
Blessings to you both.
Margaret

Cheers, Trish xx
Hello Trish
Sorry to hear that you had to postpone your Camino and hope that your sister's diagnosis will be well treated, my wife who did the Camino with me had cancer surgery more than ten years ago in Christchurch and we live life in our mid-seventies as fully as we can. Kia Koha and as the say the Camino is there for you. We are off to London stopping of home (Malaysia) enroute in a month's time. There are others in Christchurch who have done the Camino or are going to do it, I hope they and those who are interested could one day have an evening session in Christchurch for an informal gathering, there are others out of Christchurch who could be invited to be guest speakers (Kiwi Nomad 06? who I have followed for years). Joe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Trish, it's only after reading Jalan Jauh's posting that I have realised you are from Christchurch! I have two friends there who have walked the Camino Frances. When you are able to fix a new date, I am sure they would be glad to talk to you if you want to talk about Camino 'stuff'. Just PM me and I can pass on details if you want. Margaret

SO sorry Trish . Many great strides in cancer research . My wife & I can attest to it . Hoping all works out for you and your sister .

Sorry to hear of your sister's news. I will say a little prayer for her along the Way. We head off 1 Sep. Good luck to you and all your family. Di

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back