• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking Boots!

Amandita

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking in May2015!
Hi All. Im planning to start my Camino in May 2015. I had a look at different hiking boots and makes, and came across Skechers hiking boots. I liked what is saw and read about them, but i would like to hear your opinions before i make my decision. Have anyone have hiked in them before, and what is your opinions regarding Skechers? Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If they fit your feet and are comfortable, that's fine. However, Skechers are not known for making long-distance walking shoes or boots. Before you buy them I would recommend going into a couple camping/hiking stores and seeing what they have for boots and speaking to some of the staff, explaining what you want to do. Whatever you buy I would recommend that it be waterproof and breathable (made with something like Gore Tex) but that is just my own preference.

Perhaps I am in the minority, but I found a pair of Navaros online for $24 - including shipping. I had my doubts because, well, they were so cheap. The bottoms of my feet were sore (I wore them for three months) until I put in an insert from Birkenstock. It did the trick. On my (shortened) Camino, my feet were the only things that did not hurt. I liked my Navaros because they tend to run wide and my feet swell in the heat and afternoon. They were light and comfortable, and "breathed." I was lucky and happy I did not have to spend a lot of money for the "perfect" hiking boot.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If they fit your feet and are comfortable, that's fine. However, Skechers are not known for making long-distance walking shoes or boots. Before you buy them I would recommend going into a couple camping/hiking stores and seeing what they have for boots and speaking to some of the staff, explaining what you want to do. Whatever you buy I would recommend that it be waterproof and breathable (made with something like Gore Tex) but that is just my own preference.
Thank you, great advice i appreciate!

Perhaps I am in the minority, but I found a pair of Navaros online for $24 - including shipping. I had my doubts because, well, they were so cheap. The bottoms of my feet were sore (I wore them for three months) until I put in an insert from Birkenstock. It did the trick. On my (shortened) Camino, my feet were the only things that did not hurt. I liked my Navaros because they tend to run wide and my feet swell in the heat and afternoon. They were light and comfortable, and "breathed." I was lucky and happy I did not have to spend a lot of money for the "perfect" hiking boot.
Thank you, will see if i can find them here in S.A and take it from there, appreciate your advice.

Hi Amandita,

It really does not matter what they look like, what you read or hear about them or what anybody here thinks of them. Shoes, especially for long distance walking like a camino, are so personal and so important, that you really have to figure this on out on your own.
Buy shoes that fit you like a glove. If they dont feel right, forget it, move on to the next pair.
Go to a store and fit, fit, fit.
Also don't just look at boots. I know lots of people here live and die by boots, but just as many people are (trail)runner shoe advocates. So also, please try and feel the difference. Especially if you are not used to (heavy) boots and all of a sudden you start an 800km walk on them. You could get into serious trouble. Really, i know....unfortunately.

Your feet are not my feet are not anybody elses feet. Only you will know how shoes feel, fit and walk.
All we can do is tell you how good or bad our boots or shoes are.

Maybe there are stores where you can buy boots/shoes that have a good return policy so can can try them on INSIDE your own home for a week or so and if they dont feel ok, you can return them and get money back or other shoes or boots to try.

Maybe your on a budget, i don't know, but saving money on the single most important part of your equiptment is a bad idea. If this is the case, try saving on something else first. Just a thought.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Amandita,

It really does not matter what they look like, what you read or hear about them or what anybody here thinks of them. Shoes, especially for long distance walking like a camino, are so personal and so important, that you really have to figure this on out on your own.
Buy shoes that fit you like a glove. If they dont feel right, forget it, move on to the next pair.
Also don't just look at boots. I know lots of people here live and die by boots, but just as many people are (trail)runner shoe advocates. So also, please try and feel the difference. Especially if you are not used to (heavy) boots and all of a sudden you start an 800km walk on them. You could get into serious trouble. Really, i know....unfortunately.

Your feet are not my feet are not anybody elses feet. Only you will know how shoes feel, fit and walk.
All we can do is tell you how good or bad our boots or shoes are.

Maybe there are stores where you can buy boots/shoes that have a good return policy so can can try them on INSIDE your own home for a week or so and if they dont feel ok, you can return them and get money back or other shoes or boots to try.

Maybe your on a budget, i don't know, but saving money on the single most important part of your equiptment is a bad idea. If this is the case, try saving on something else first. Just a thought.

Thank you for your great reply and exellent advice, will certainly look and fit around some more before i decide. :-}

Hiking footwear is personal. I have spent 25 years packing and climbing in boots and would not ever use a low cut shoe. They are HEAVY and there have been many times where they have saved me from a twisted ankle. I "pitch" on a lot of steep granite and when the soles get worn & slick, I have to replace them. The boots are so well worn and comfortable by then that I use he old ones for yard work. But, I also climb with guys who swear by low cut footwear. Either way, I think you get what you pay for. Save money on some other gear, not the shoes!

Most importantly, buy them well in advance and wear them EVERYWHERE for at least a month. I pack with guys who wear them in the office with a suit and tie. Find out what sock works best for you as well. Any mismatch of socks and boots can give you an instant "hot spot" or even worse, a blister you will remember long after you end your journey. The right combination of shoes and socks will allow you to "wick" away more or less moisture. It's easy to figure this one out at home before you leave. Again, I think with the socks, you get what you pay for. Check out REI.com to see what's available. Lastly, buy an extra $3 shoelace and stick it in your pack. Once you break one, you will never pack without a spare!

The camino is on my bucket list for 2015 so I don't have much to contribute yet but boot selection is something I have learned NOT without great pain.

Buy shoes that fit you like a glove.

erm .... actually, buy shoes that are one european size or a half US/UK size larger than what you usually wear, as feet swell during hiking, and they will blister and be very painful if the shoes are too small.

EDIT -- oh, likely not true for sandals, only for closed shoes/boots

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just another observation with Sketchers ....they are known to get quite whiffey.

So true. I loved my "GoWalk" Skechers, super light, super comfortable, just awesome for walking on cobblestones or scrambling over rocks (at the beach). But the smell! Several scrubs, several turns through a full wash cycle - nothing could shift it. And I don't generally have a problem, none of my other trainers/gym shoes seem to get the whiffs. The only thing that overpowers the smell is pachouli oil - which instantly reminds me of us unwashed hippies doused in the stuff in the 1970s. Yuk! The Skechers are now on their way to landfill.

I wish the manufacturers would fix the problem.

Last edited:
Find out what sock works best for you as well. Any mismatch of socks and boots can give you an instant "hot spot" or even worse, a blister you will remember long after you end your journey. The right combination of shoes and socks will allow you to "wick" away more or less moisture. It's easy to figure this one out at home before you leave. Again, I think with the socks, you get what you pay for. Check out REI.com to see what's available. Lastly, buy an extra $3 shoelace and stick it in your pack. Once you break one, you will never pack without a spare!

Very good advice in this post. What you said about the sock/boot combination resonated with me. I was up on the GR20 in Corisica friction gripping huge slabs of granite with my Kayland boots and I foolishly switched to a new brand of sock just prior to the hike. Bad move. I had instant blisters. Fortunately I had brought along a pair of one of my older socks (just in case) and put them on immediately. No new blisters.

erm .... actually, buy shoes that are one european size or a half US/UK size larger than what you usually wear, as feet swell during hiking, and they will blister and be very painful if the shoes are too small.
@Dutch, I hope you didn't intend the advice to find shoes that fit like a glove to be taken literally. Equally, just buying footwear so many sizes or half sizes bigger is not the best solution. Getting properly fitted by people who understand the demands of long distance walking is a far better option, and that means visiting a reputable outdoors retailer who has a fitting slope, taking along similar socks to those you will walk in, getting fitted towards the end of the day and trying to be on your feet for a while beforehand.

After all that, one might expect that the footwear you buy will be larger than your normal fit. But rather than try and start there, the plan is to end there knowing that you have made every endeavour to make sure that what you buy will be right.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi All. Im planning to start my Camino in May 2015. I had a look at different hiking boots and makes, and came across Skechers hiking boots. I liked what is saw and read about them, but i would like to hear your opinions before i make my decision. Have anyone have hiked in them before, and what is your opinions regarding Skechers? Thanks.

I walked in March this year (weather was mostly vile, except through Rioja and Meseta) and wore out two sets of trekking boots between St Jean Pied de Port and Muxia. Bought a new pair in Ponferrada for Euros 21.90 - I would have had to pay around $200 in Australia for the equivalent. But I've never had trouble with blistering etc. My first set bought in Australia were reasonably pricey and I jib at spending up big twice on something that's not going to see the distance. Get something that's cheap and comfortable, and look for ones which have a solid sole rather than a tough outer sole layer over a slightly softer section between it and the base of the shoe.

De Colores

Bogong (John)

@Dutch, I hope you didn't intend the advice to find shoes that fit like a glove to be taken literally. Equally, just buying footwear so many sizes or half sizes bigger is not the best solution. Getting properly fitted by people who understand the demands of long distance walking is a far better option, and that means visiting a reputable outdoors retailer who has a fitting slope, taking along similar socks to those you will walk in, getting fitted towards the end of the day and trying to be on your feet for a while beforehand.

After all that, one might expect that the footwear you buy will be larger than your normal fit. But rather than try and start there, the plan is to end there knowing that you have made every endeavour to make sure that what you buy will be right.

Good points doug -- also, the fitting should be done, when you're doing it for the first time anyway, with the hiking socks you'll be using on-Camino worn on your feet for the fitting.

some running shoes come in comfy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You could also wear sandals. Joe at Zpacks (www.zpacks.com) walked the Continental Divide Trail (2,650 miles) wearing nothing but a pair of Teva Grecko sandals.

For warmth you just wear socks and for rain protection you buy a pair of waterproof socks (some are made with eVent or Gore-Tex, etc)

Running shoes, as mentioned by Finisterre, would be perfect if you like them.

Fit like a glove is indeed not to be taken literally. I thought that would be obvious, but i guess its not.

I dont really agree on going to a good store and listen to just their advice on long distance walking/hiking. In my experience they have the tendency to want to sell you boots all the time and boots just arent for everybody and for the camino, they can be overkill. A camino does not require boots.

If it was up to me, i would say, Better stick to the type of shoes you are used to, be it boots OR shoes. The buyer knows his own feet best. Better then some salesman in a chainstore, 'cause chances are, thats where most will buy their outdoor stuff.
The same goes for double socking. What works for one, might not work for the next. Everything regarding the feet you have to figure out on your own.

I am not saying you shouldnt go in a store for advice, but do not let them sell you something you are not comfortable with. Take the advice and do with it what you want. So i say, fit, fit, fit...shoes, boots, whatever, but dont stop untill it feels good. And dont just go to one store.

€60,-
@Bogong get something thats cheap and comfortable? Strange advice. How about somethimg thats comfortable and good, instead of making the price and important issue? Trying to save money on the most important piece of equiptment you have does not sound like a good idea to me.

I dont understand how you can wear out 2 pairs of boots on a 900km walk. If they are really worn out, then the quality does not seem all that great to me. And quality and price do go hand in hand when it comes to shoes and clothing.

Last edited:
I second that Dutch, I trained for 600 km in my leather Scarpa boot, then walked the Camino in them. They may have been expensive to buy but I think they may still have the best part of another Camino left in them. Don't skimp on boots or socks. My wife and I never had a blister on the entire walk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Bogong get something thats cheap and comfortable? Strange advice. How about somethimg thats comfortable and good, instead of making the price and important issue? Trying to save money on the most important piece of equiptment you have does not sound like a good idea to me.

I dont understand how you can wear out 2 pairs of boots on a 900km walk. It they are really worn out, then the quality does not seem alll that great to me. And quality and price do go hand in hand when it comes to shoes and clothing.

Well, I was under the pump schedule-wise and did St J to Santiago in 26 days and a couple of hours. About two-thirds of the time I was sopping wet every day. Whether or not that contributed to the demise of the boots I don't know, but it was mainly heel wear. The first pair came from a very reputable company and I have had good service from their products previously. The second cheap pair got me a bit further, to Muxia so arguably they were the better ones. But I'm probably not the best one to listen to - as indicated, I've never had any real trouble with my feet. I can just whack on a new pair of boots or shoes that feel comfortable and head off. I walked the Camino in my everyday socks.

I'm 69 and have bushwalked extensively for around the last 45 years. I've found little relationship between price and quality. The best boots I ever had were a pair of Chinese workboots for $15 which, sadly haven't been available now for quite some years. The very worst bits of equipment I've ever had were three mega-expensive Goretex jackets which leaked like sieves from new, and through the fabric itself, not the seams (there should be a class action against these people for false advertising). Wearing one of these was a major reason I got wet on my walk, but at least it kept me walking to stay warm. I don't know quite what the waterproofing answer is yet. Some of the people with ponchos had them ripped to shreds by the wind. A while ago now, I bought, at different times, two top line expensive pairs of running shoes of the same brand, one of which had been rated "Runners World" shoe of the year. Both pairs fell apart in less than a fortnight, so I won't go there or the Goretex way again.

Equipment seems to be a bit of a pig in a poke. If you find something good, stick to it, whatever the price, but never assume that by paying more you're going to get better quality. It may just mean that the vendor/manufacturer is taking a bigger cut.

De colores

Bogong (aka John)

I use French army boots, but I would recommend them only to those with weak ankles.

I dont really agree on going to a good store and listen to just their advice on long distance walking/hiking. In my experience they have the tendency to want to sell you boots all the time and boots just arent for everybody and for the camino, they can be overkill. A camino does not require boots.
We have a couple of stores like that where I live, but there are also a couple that have staff who taken the time to understand the Camino, and take the time to properly fit footwear. They were also recommending shoes rather than boots when our local Friends of the Camino group visited last. At least were I live, it is not as dire as you seem to have found it.

I am not saying you shouldnt go in a store for advice, but do not let them sell you something you are not comfortable with. Take the advice and do with it what you want. So i say, fit, fit, fit...shoes, boots, whatever, but dont stop untill it feels good. And dont just go to one store.
Agree completely with this.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
whatever the price, but never assume that by paying more you're going to get better quality. It may just mean that the vendor/manufacturer is taking a bigger cut.

De colores

Bogong (aka John)

Without going into all sorts of details, i can tell you that this is not true. Not true at all. A big misconception people have of the whole textile world. I am a manufacturer and i know, quality of fabrics and high(er) prices do go hand in hand. The same goes for specialised skilled workers and special machines needed for special materials. And the outdoor world is full of special materials.

Without going into all sorts of details, i can tell you that this is not true. Not true at all. A big misconception people have of the whole textile world. I am a manufacturer and i know, quality of fabrics and high(er) prices do go hand in hand. The same goes for specialised skilled workers and special machines needed for special materials. And the outdoor world is full of special materials.

Yes, but I'm a user of the stuff, and in the field, whether bushwalking or wilderness XC skiing, some of the new fabrics fall way short of the manufacturers' claims and even their testing data. Goretex is a classic example, and not just for me. Also, for the Camino, I purchased some very expensive latest technology wick fabric T-shirts and singlets from a specialist wilderness equipment supplier. According to the advertising blurb, this fabric could almost "walk on water" to borrow a metaphor. In actual use it was little better than cotton and a long way inferior to the woollen items I had. That's a personal opinion, of course.

In a previous life I was a director on the board of the National Association of Testing Authorities in Australia. It is part of an established international network developing testing methodology and techniques to be used by accredited testing laboratories to ensure uniformity and consistency in methodology and results no matter where carried out in the world. Unless a manufacturer can demonstrate that the product has been tested by properly trained personnel in an independent accredited laboratory using an established and agreed methodology, claimed performance results are probably worthless. Even where the proper procedures have been followed there is sometimes a need for caution. What we found occasionally, too, was that if manufacturers got a simply awful result they would develop their own testing methodology which almost invariably turned the sow's ear into a silk purse.

De Colores

Bogong

Hiking footwear is personal. I have spent 25 years packing and climbing in boots and would not ever use a low cut shoe. They are HEAVY and there have been many times where they have saved me from a twisted ankle. I "pitch" on a lot of steep granite and when the soles get worn & slick, I have to replace them. The boots are so well worn and comfortable by then that I use he old ones for yard work. But, I also climb with guys who swear by low cut footwear. Either way, I think you get what you pay for. Save money on some other gear, not the shoes!

Most importantly, buy them well in advance and wear them EVERYWHERE for at least a month. I pack with guys who wear them in the office with a suit and tie. Find out what sock works best for you as well. Any mismatch of socks and boots can give you an instant "hot spot" or even worse, a blister you will remember long after you end your journey. The right combination of shoes and socks will allow you to "wick" away more or less moisture. It's easy to figure this one out at home before you leave. Again, I think with the socks, you get what you pay for. Check out REI.com to see what's available. Lastly, buy an extra $3 shoelace and stick it in your pack. Once you break one, you will never pack without a spare!

The camino is on my bucket list for 2015 so I don't have much to contribute yet but boot selection is something I have learned NOT without great pain.

I always wore boots, even at school. I liked the security of the ankle support. So when it came to making a choice for the Camino I didn't think about it for very long, because my Meindl boots were very well broken in and comfortable. Yet, I made a mistake. These wonderful boots proved to be much too heavy for the Camino. They were great over the mountains, but during an approximate 1 million steps on the rest of the camino I developed swelling in my feet and knee pain which almost made me give up towards the end.

I know that many people walk successfully with boots. Mine were just the wrong kind. Too stiff and heavy. I'm currently trying on lighter shoes for my next Camino.

SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela, April-June 2014

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.