• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hope for the best upon arrival?

AMK1982

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon-Santiago de Compostela August 2013
Hello my fellow pilgrims. :)

I will be arriving in Biarritz around 19.00 august 15. A Friday. During holiday peak. With no reservation in neither Bayonne nor Saint Jean Pied de Porte. Needless to say all the cheap places in Bayonne have no vacancies on that specific day.

My question is as follows: will it be possible to find a bed in SJPdP when I arrive with the last train (or bus as I understand it is) around 22.30 or should I just bite the bullet and book an expensive room in Bayonne?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So no hope for a cheaper place? Maybe a private auberge? -I know, I am both naïve and optimistic. ;-)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
So no hope for a cheaper place? Maybe a private auberge? -I know, I am both naïve and optimistic. ;-)

You can ask at the pilgrim office 39 Rue de Citadelle when you arrive. They stay open till the last bus arrives. If there are beds available they will know.

The park benches at the citadel are comfortable for a nap ... if you really get stuck.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can ask at the pilgrim office 39 Rue de Citadelle when you arrive. They stay open till the last bus arrives. If there are beds available they will know.

The park benches at the citadel are comfortable for a nap ... if you really get stuck.

Haha, I appreciate the info. I hope it won't be knowledge I will have to put to use. :D

Haha, I appreciate the info. I hope it won't be knowledge I will have to put to use. :D
SJPdP now is expensive rooms only. The Ultreia Gite is the only one showing rooms. August 15 is the Assumption, so rooms will be limited. If you don't put the knowledge to use now, it will cease to be useful knowledge!

The Pilgrim Office operates a no-reservation gite, so it may have space when you arrive. If not, they will help you find a room, but they are not miracle workers. The room they find might be several hundred Euros.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
SJPdP now is expensive rooms only. The Ultreia Gite is the only one showing rooms. August 15 is the Assumption, so rooms will be limited. If you don't put the knowledge to use now, it will cease to be useful knowledge!

I was referring to the benches not The Ultreia Gite which I will book straight away. :)

I wouldn't think so. You could send the owners an email and see? They are fine. I have a bunk booked there.

It is a matter of definition of course but the owners don't seen fine. Here's their response:

Hi Anita
Thank you for your demand but we cannot accept late arrivals. The hostel closes for everybody at 10 PM; IT IS WRITTEN EVERYWHERE !!!!!!!!
The stage of the following day is long and difficult and the most important thing for the pilgrims is rest!
This is the reason why we also don't accept in the morning departures in the night.
We are sure you will understand!
YOUR BOOKING IS NOT ACCEPTED
We will refund you less the bank expenses
Have a nice way ...

I wasn't demanding but politely asking.... So, Citadelle or benches seem to be my alternatives.

Thank you for your help, though. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is a matter of definition of course but the owners don't seen fine. Here's their response:

Hi Anita
Thank you for your demand but we cannot accept late arrivals. The hostel closes for everybody at 10 PM; IT IS WRITTEN EVERYWHERE !!!!!!!!
The stage of the following day is long and difficult and the most important thing for the pilgrims is rest!
This is the reason why we also don't accept in the morning departures in the night.
Have a nice way ...

I wasn't demanding but politely asking.... So, Citadelle or benches seem to be my alternatives.

Don't forget the language barrier that gets in the way in internet communication. Simple ideas; simple words. Don't read a lot into the simplicity.

Hi Anita
Have a nice way ...

Ouch..they must be under pressure at the moment.
Apologies.

Ouch..they must be under pressure at the moment.
Apologies.
Falcon's point is well taken. "Demander" is to ask in French; "une demande" is a request (or a demand). I don't think they were accusing you of demanding anything. It is common for French speakers, when speaking English, to say demand when we would say request.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Don't forget the language barrier that gets in the way in internet communication. Simple ideas; simple words. Don't read a lot into the simplicity.

Falcon's point is well taken. "Demander" is to ask in French; "une demande" is a request (or a demand). I don't think they were accusing you of demanding anything. It is common for French speakers, when speaking English, to say demand when we would say request.

English is not my first language either so I am well aware of the fact that barriers occur. However, writing with capital letters and using lots of exclamations marks has the same meaning regardless of language and I see absolutely no point in communicating that way.

There are beds still available out of town slightly, in chambre d'hotes. You'll have to see if they will collect you, or take a taxi. Try this site

http://en.gites-de-france.com/#bmb=1

Or email the Tourist Office:

http://www.saintjeanpieddeport-paysbasque-tourisme.com

Thank you for the links. I have booked a room at Citadelle 21 that I think I will stick with even though it is pricier than anticipated.

Oh well, you snooze you lose as they say and now I am just happy that I have a place where I can snooze. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back