• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to keep your phone safe at night?

Felice

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP to Santiago Sept 2014
There are lots of clever ways to keep passports, money and credit cards safe whilst asleep during the night, but how do people keep their phones safe? I'm quite an 'active' sleeper and I'm nervous that I will lie on my phone and damage it if I keep it under my pillow, or dislodge it and make it obvious.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I've taken my IPhone on several Caminos and have not had any "safe" issues. I have had some "stupid" issues though. While waiting a connection to Madrid in London, I was using my phone in the loo (no, there isn't an app for tissues:confused:). As I was rechecking departure times, I reached for my phone and found it missing. Remembering my interlude in the comfort station, I quickly returned and, what to my wondering eyes should appear but my phone sitting right there. As far as damaging my phone, I use a Lifeproof case. Great for dropping, kicking, walking on and sitting on (no I wasn't sitting on it in the crapper (John Crapper, that is);).
All that said, some on the Forum know I spend most of my summers sailing. If you happen to be in the Gulf of Maine and you hear a phone ringing; you are over the spot where I dropped it (44.342,-68.028). My new Lifeproof case floats! No, Joey, I got the floater after I loo'sd it in the airport.:p

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I got so carried away, I forgot to comment on the "safe" issue. I've never had a problem charging my IPhone in an albergue. Many do it, and some even bring a pig tail to share the outlet. With the ability to "lock" the IPhone...most thieves would pass it bye.

I'm quite an 'active' sleeper and I'm nervous that I will lie on my phone and damage it if I keep it under my pillow, or dislodge it and make it obvious.
I kept my iPhone in my pants pocket at night. Only problem was in the middle of one night when I had forgotten to turn off the speaker. I rolled over and Siri announced rather loudly, "Karl, something is terribly wrong!" Pretty embarrassing.

I also use a Lifeproof case which offers a lot of protection for very little weight.

Karl

I keep it along with other valuables in a bag under my pillow. If you use a dry bag them sealing some air in it makes for a softer time of it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I kept my iPhone in my pants pocket at night. Only problem was in the middle of one night when I had forgotten to turn off the speaker. I rolled over and Siri announced rather loudly, "Karl, something is terribly wrong!" Pretty embarrassing.

I also use a Lifeproof case which offers a lot of protection for very little weight.

Karl
Lol...

Yes, beware the audio! One morning at 5:00 - too early, I thought, to stir - I got frustrated just lying quietly in bed. I decided to pass the time with my first ever, new, acquired-for-the-Camino iPhone, and perhaps work on my blog. I positioned the iPhone under the covers so that any light it emitted would not disturb the sleeping pilgrims. Lo and behold, there was a message from my son with a picture of my brand new first grandchild. Imagine my shock and horror when my son's voice filled the room with, "Hi, Granny!"

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Plug it into the outlet in the bathroom or kitchen area. If you are American then most people don't want it anyways. ;)

For me everything goes into a small bag and goes to the foot of my sleeping bag.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Some pilgrims will leave their phones charging at night. I just brought a basic phone and kept it with my passport, etc. inside my waist pouch - I would wear it while sleeping so can I feel the vibrating alarm to wake me up in the AM.......didn't even bother me.. A couple of albergues had lockers.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back