• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Iceland raises Bardarbunga volcano threat level alert to orange

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
For those traveling from North America to Spain ....

Corrected:

The Bárðarbunga volcano’s eruption threat level was raised to orange Monday, the second-highest level. When it erupted in 2010, the ash cloud that resulted disrupted European airspace for six days,

https://time.com/3139648/same-volcano-more-problems-in-iceland/

Not sure if there is much anybody can but live with whatever happens ...

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We will start walking the Norte for Irun on 22 August.
We are going to try to slow down this Camino and take it easy like Robert.

I always have a lot of time to complete a Camino but somehow have to walk distances like I only had a couple of weeks to finish.o_O Must be a macho thing.

I will try to walk shorter stages and make it more comfortable for my wife (and me).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It may never happen. And why worry? It won't change anything. Just check your travel insurance. If you do get caught somewhere unexpected, try to find a way of enjoying it. It will be part of your Camino. My friend got stuck last time, in Tokyo. She arranged day tours. It was a bit frustrating not being able to go further afield but she saw a lot of beautiful Japanese gardens. Has some great photos.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Too funny - we just watched "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" for the first time last night. The volcano's name definitely rings a bell now - though I still have no idea how to pronounce it...

Yes, I made a commitment to learn to pronounce the-name-of-the-volcano-that-I-still-cannot-say.....

For those traveling from North America to Spain ....

The Eyjafjallajokull volcano’s eruption threat level was raised to orange Monday, the second-highest level. When it erupted in 2010, the ash cloud that resulted disrupted European airspace for six days,

https://time.com/3139648/same-volcano-more-problems-in-iceland/

Not sure if there is much anybody can but live with whatever happens ...
Just wanted to let you know that this time it is not Eyjafjallajökull. This one is called Bárðarbunga and it is in Vatnajökull.
I am worried, because I am going to do the Camino del Norte and will leave my home in Iceland on the 1st of September, so I just have to pray for it to stay still.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just wanted to let you know that this time it is not Eyjafjallajökull. This one is called Bárðarbunga and it is in Vatnajökull.
I am worried, because I am going to do the Camino del Norte and will leave my home in Iceland on the 1st of September, so I just have to pray for it to stay still.

Thanks for the correction. And we wish you all the best as you prepare to come- yes, hope it doesn't blow before you have to fly! Buen Camino.

Ok, so this is REALLY selfish and I apologize in advance, but it is honestly what I thought first when I first heard the news about the new "orange" threat level in Iceland: Since my flight to Europe leaves in about 8 days please don't let anything blow up before then... And since my walk involves a pretty aggressive timeline and I only have 23 days to complete the Norte from Irun to Santiago, I could use an extra few days to hit Muxia and Finnesterre, so I think an eruption around Sept. 18 or 19 would be ideal. My flight back to the USA would surely be delayed by a few days but no one at work could argue I should have been back. I know, its awful, please forgive me... No, no, I can't think this way, I shouldn't!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There was the story after the last eruption of a yong man who ran out of time near Sarria and had to bus into Santiago to catch his flight, so not walking the final 100kms to complete his prilgrimage. Apparently on hearing the news about flights being grounded he caught the next bus back and finished his Camino.
Hopefully this one won't blow in such a way as to cause as much disruption, but I feel for the folk in Iceland as they wait to see what happens.

Ok, so this is REALLY selfish and I apologize in advance, but it is honestly what I thought first when I first heard the news about the new "orange" threat level in Iceland: Since my flight to Europe leaves in about 8 days please don't let anything blow up before then... And since my walk involves a pretty aggressive timeline and I only have 23 days to complete the Norte from Irun to Santiago, I could use an extra few days to hit Muxia and Finnesterre, so I think an eruption around Sept. 18 or 19 would be ideal. My flight back to the USA would surely be delayed by a few days but no one at work could argue I should have been back. I know, its awful, please forgive me... No, no, I can't think this way, I shouldn't!

Hahahaha, not selfish AT ALL :) funny!! Screw the world, i needs me a finisterre walk.

But seriously...23 days? Your in for some long days. Nothing wrong with that, but consecutively? Pfjew...not jealous at your feet at all ;)

Too funny - we just watched "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" for the first time last night. The volcano's name definitely rings a bell now - though I still have no idea how to pronounce it...
Thanks for the correction. And we wish you all the best as you prepare to come- yes, hope it doesn't blow before you have to fly! Buen Camino.
Thank you so much for the warm wishes. I am getting excited and hoping for the best.

Hope all goes well for you (and others) and that you can get to the Camino (and back).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When this last occurred in 2010 I was "stranded" while on a two-week Italian tour with my mom. We "had" to stay several extra days in Venice, in our **** hotel on the Grand Canal. Not too rough...

On the other hand, there were other tourists all about us who were actually complaining about their delayed flight plans. I could not help introducing myself at breakfast (on the terrace overlooking the canal) and asking why they were perturbed to be "stuck" in "la Serenissima." I was trying to make light of the whole thing.

The most oft received answer from the Brits and other Europeans was a need to get back "for the children." The Americans and Canadians were eager to get back to work...eager? Just for the record, the weather in Venice was absolutely beautiful, with blue skies, no clouds, and gentle temperatures...

My polite counsel was to sit, have another cappuccino, and consider exactly where they were and how indeed fortunate they were to be "stuck" in one of the most beautiful and historic places on earth. Mom and I had a wonderful time.

This was one of my life's highlights. After all, we could have been stranded in a far less pleasant place.;)

Last edited:
While we wait for the probable eruption...

And fear how this eruption might impact one's travel plans...

Yes it will mighty inconvenient for some...

But nothing like the impact of the potential loss of life and property damage that thousands if not millions might suffer...

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm really concerned now as we fly over to get ready to start our Camino on September 7th. I've already experienced one volcano, Mount St. Helens back in 1980, and the sheer force of a volcano is devastating. I hope this one settles down. At the time, I lived in Spokane, WA; 300 miles away. We thought 300 miles (about 500km) would cushion the blow but people seriously underestimated the power.

Turned the sky pitch black in the afternoon raining ash. Couldn't see anything even with your headlights on. Eerie. I wish there was some mega-antacid for Bardarbunga to put out the fire as the volcano belches;-)

Here's what we experienced back then in 1980.

http://www.spokesman.com/video/2013/may/18/looking-back-mount-st-helens-comes-town/

Thanks for posting the updates so we can track this...I'm following closely.

Wow. I just came back from there a few weeks ago. Hopefully it can keeps its cool for a bit longer
We're in Iceland for 18 hours......come this Monday. I'm hoping that the worse that can happen, will be an interesting story for my grandchildren. Already lived
through one volcanic episode.....Mt St Helens in '82....looking to spend some time in the hot springs, not a volcanic ash mud bath. got my fingers crossed with a
brave face......

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm really concerned now as we fly over to get ready to start our Camino on September 7th. I've already experienced one volcano, Mount St. Helens back in 1980, and the sheer force of a volcano is devastating. I hope this one settles down. At the time, I lived in Spokane, WA; 300 miles away. We thought 300 miles (about 500km) would cushion the blow but people seriously underestimated the power.

Turned the sky pitch black in the afternoon raining ash. Couldn't see anything even with your headlights on. Eerie. I wish there was some mega-antacid for Bardarbunga to put out the fire as the volcano belches;-)

Here's what we experienced back then in 1980.

http://www.spokesman.com/video/2013/may/18/looking-back-mount-st-helens-comes-town/

Thanks for posting the updates so we can track this...I'm following closely.
been there. done that. finals week at Washington State University.

We're in Iceland for 18 hours......come this Monday. I'm hoping that the worse that can happen, will be an interesting story for my grandchildren. Already lived
through one volcanic episode.....Mt St Helens in '82....looking to spend some time in the hot springs, not a volcanic ash mud bath. got my fingers crossed with a
brave face......
guess that was 1980.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's a volcanically active area. Luckily surrounded by a lot of ocean, so flights can be rerouted. Qantas frequently does - it takes a cautious approach. But tough for the locals.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back