• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Insurance

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
EHIC cards should be sufficient, but there is a nasty habit (rumour?) of some Spanish hospitals not accepting them.... Its pot luck which ones will/will not though. I got health insurance before I went-better to be safe than sorry!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't think the EU card will pay to get you - or your body - home in the event of a serious accident. I always take out extra insurance, but take the card, too.

The EU health card will only give you basic health care, as available in Spain, free. Anything more you will have to pay. Also if you cannot present the card you will be charged I believe. You also need to check that the person seeing you is part of the 'free' health scheme etc...

Buying travel health insurance, that includes medical repatriation if needed, is IMHO essential not optional.

Most insurers will want to know that you have tried to use the EC card before they will pay on a claim.

I was in Spain in July this year the very issue of EC cards was a topic on the news for a while. The jist if my poor Spanish was working correctly was that eu citizens were being turned down for free health care in some regions despite having an E111 with them at the time of the need. see link. I'd take insurance........ hotfleece
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22714147

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
the uk government has lodged a complaint with the eec over british nationals being denied free health care despite having presented their ehic e111. proportionally there are more british nationals visiting spain. this maybe due to the deep economic crisis currently encounted in spain.

however even though i have an e111 card, i will still consider it necessary to buy health insurance just in case.

buen camino and godspeed.

Hi, just a quick question in relation to getting insurance. Is this necessary or will the European health insurance card be sufficient

Hi

I walked the Camino in 2012 and took out a travel insurance ontop of my Health Card to safe guard myself and family back home...

take a look at this link I found it very good value for money..
https://www.247travelinsurance.co.u...F9B32DA74DEA63B812EF883B&sid=186#policySelect

I hope it is of some help..

Buen Camino

Bryan :)

I always take a basic travel insurance policy, it's generally pretty cheap and covers more than just medical costs.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The European 111 card covers only emergency care, it is not meant to cover people with colds, tendinitis, stomach viruses, migraines, etc., no matter how debilitated they might feel.
According to Spanish reports, those complaining in England were "medical tourists" who came to Spain looking to use E111 for cheap or free treatment for less-than urgent conditions that would put them on a wait-list at home, or people whose cuts and breaks were treated initially in Spain who returned to different places each time for changes of dressings, follow-up exams, etc.
The Spanish system is too strapped to give free non-urgent care to people who do not pay into the system, even if the afflicted are fellow Europeans. That is what travel insurance is for. Smart people will insure themselves and avoid disappointment and/or outrage.

Rebekah, you're quite right to say the EHIC does not cover medical tourism. But it does cover "any medical treatment that becomes neccessary dring your trip", which includes the ongoing care of chronic conditions and non-emergency conditions such as migraines/tendonitis etc. Details are on the NHS website at http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx

The whole point of it is to allow Europeans to be treated as if they had paid into the system, wherever in the EU they are, on a reciprocal basis.

Having said that, anyone who goes travelling without insurance is nuts. Why give yourself the stress? If you can afford boots, a rucksack, and an airline flight, you can afford insurance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I thought the problem was Expats using the card in spite of the fact they lived in Spain .

The card unless I've totally misunderstood doesn't impose any cost on the host country. I guess they need to advance the money but your home country is supposed to reimburse things.

BTW IIRC the current EU rules now allow what amounts to medical tourism. If you're home country has long waiting lists you could hop across the border with the bill heading to your home government. At least that's my memory of what is supposed to happen this year.

Wouldn't it just! I suspect part of the problem is that the EHIC provides the sort of state care that residents of the country are in would get, not what you could expect in your home country. If (like most brits) you expect the NHS to cover everything, you might be sorely disappointed elsewhere.

But, to answer the initial question, yes you do need travel insurance. The EHIC won't repatriate you. If the nearest clinic is private (and the nearest state service is 50 expensive taxi miles away), then it won't cover you. And, frankly, it's good manners not to rely on your host country for support in anything less than an emergency.

I thought the problem was Expats using the card in spite of the fact they lived in Spain ...

BTW IIRC the current EU rules now allow what amounts to medical tourism. If you're home country has long waiting lists you could hop across the border with the bill heading to your home government. At least that's my memory of what is supposed to happen this year.

EU expats who live in Spain as legal residents are covered under the full regional health plan where they live. They don´t use EHIC unless they are traveling to other EU countries -- and they only have minimal coverage using it outside Spain. (I know, that is what we do.)

No matter what paperwork a pilgrim has, the local doctor or clinic sometimes decides on the spot whether or not they will treat you if you do not have the local healthcare ID card, and if you are not visibly mangled. I have taken plenty of banged-up pilgrims to medical caretakers in this area, none has ever been turned away -- but some have been billed, or charged outright.
An American pilg who broke her hand along the Way was told by the doctor who put it in plaster (for 200 Euro) that she should be looked-at once she got to Santiago. No one at the hospitals in Santiago would even let her through the door. She had private insurance and full ID, but she was not a critical case, and evidently no one wanted to wrangle with American bureaucrats!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
EU expats who live in Spain as legal residents are covered under the full regional health plan where they live.

They're supposed to. Not everybody goes to the hassle of registering for residency .

That was the problem Spain was having with the health card. People showing up with the card even if it was obvious they weren't vacationers.

We have just received our new credenciales from CSJ. Included are the conditions of use and advice. Again it says in bold letters that pilgrims should not rely solely on the EHIC card. If you are billed then get a receipt and also try to get proof that you have tried to use the EHIC card and it has been refused. Phoning your insurance provider before treatment might be a good idea if you are able.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sorry, looking at that site it seems a bit ... I don't want to offend anybody here, but if, for example, you click on 'Do you need to make a claim?' on the contact page it states '
We have appointed Travel Claims Facilities to look after your claim.' That doesn't sound to me like they offer truly 24/7 assistance on phone or similar. SY

Hi Bryan,

Thank you for the link, seems a competitive site, which option did you go for?
Blessings
Blu

Hi Graham,

I went for the Backpacker and Long-stay and will be doing the same this coming May for my next Camino...
when you complete the purchase your policy with all details and contacts is ready to print off so I printed 2 copies and left one at home and took 2 copies in separate waterproof pouches just in case one got wet on route... it is a good price and gave me peace of mind...

I hope this is of some help :)

Bryan

Hi Graham,

I went for the Backpacker and Long-stay and will be doing the same this coming May for my next Camino...
when you complete the purchase your policy with all details and contacts is ready to print off so I printed 2 copies and left one at home and took 2 copies in separate waterproof pouches just in case one got wet on route... it is a good price and gave me peace of mind...

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

That is excellent information and all I needed, thank you very much and will be doing the same.
I also commence walking this May so hope to 'bump' into you on route.
Blessings
Blu

Please be careful people! Has anybody here actually put in a claim with that insurance broker? With success? That website doesn't go, as far as I can see, to one insurance company but to a broker who might or might not be interested in customer service! SY

Please be careful people! Has anybody here actually put in a claim with that insurance broker? With success? That website doesn't go, as far as I can see, to one insurance company but to a broker who might or might not be interested in customer service! SY

Well, not me...Bryan? thanks for the warning SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My travel insurance is with a very good company associated with our pension fund. I have made claims with fairly good outcome. Of course the company assumes you cannot/will not read the 38 page policy and even if you do, you will not understand the subtle meanings of each clause. I have made many calls to clarify various issues and been very surprised at the answers. Remember, the insurance company's motivation is not to help you - it's to make money, which means paying as few claims as they possibly can. Everything's fine unless you have to make a claim, so I advise going in prepared .. I posted this a few weeks ago:
I've had a few experiences with travel insurance and filing claims. There are many tips I can pass on, but important ones are
a) READ the policy.
b) Make sure you understand the exclusions, including the "prior conditions" clause. Many companies void your claim if you have had any change in a pre-existing condition (even a change in a prescription or a checkup showing something different like a change in blood pressure), and they have differing time periods. Many use 90 days prior to leaving your state/province/country, so pay attention during that time period. I avoid seeing an MD in that 90 day period if at all possible.
c) Make sure you have and keep proof of the date you left your state/province/country or your claim will be denied.

d) Ensure that it will pay for repatriation/medical evacuation to your home country. Many policies say they will arrange this.
But, in a nutshell, READ the policy. If you don't understand it, get someone to interpret.

Hi Graham,

Bryan
Last year in Spain I had to attend the emergency dept. at Lugo hospital. They asked for two things before they could start looking at my problem, these were my passport and my travel insurance. They copied these to keep for future reference if needed. Luckily they were not, but the lesson was clear. ALWAYS take a copy of your travel insurance document with you.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Last year in Spain I had to attend the emergency dept. at Lugo hospital. They asked for two things before they could start looking at my problem, these were my passport and my travel insurance. They copied these to keep for future reference if needed. Luckily they were not, but the lesson was clear. ALWAYS take a copy of your travel insurance document with you.

Alan

The entire policy, Alan? Or just the card?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The entire policy, Alan? Or just the card?

Hola Lynne!

I buy my travel insurance online [ from a company called Online Travel Insurance, would you believe!] and they supply a Travel Insurance Receipt/Certificate which I print off and take with me as proof of insurance. This is one page, A4 size. I also print off a second page to take with me, that has the phone numbers to call when you might need assistance from the insurance company. The company that backs O.T.I. is Allianz.

I hope you have the best time on the VDLP - I loved it 3 years ago.

Alan

Hola Lynne!

I buy my travel insurance online [ from a company called Online Travel Insurance, would you believe!] and they supply a Travel Insurance Receipt/Certificate which I print off and take with me as proof of insurance. This is one page, A4 size. I also print off a second page to take with me, that has the phone numbers to call when you might need assistance from the insurance company. The company that backs O.T.I. is Allianz.

I hope you have the best time on the VDLP - I loved it 3 years ago.

Alan

Gracias, Alan. We have a similar laminated membership card with Allianz which is handy to carry. (Photocopied and kept with credit and debit cards of course). I am anticipating a wonderful camino for us - our memories of walking the VDLP are still bright and precious, although this will be totally different, as it is every time, isn't it!
Really getting excited now! Thanks for your good wishes.
lynne

Hi SY,

So, in your experience this 24/7 would not be a wise choice in travel insurance? if not which company do you recommend?

Blessings
Blu

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It simply doesn't look to me like an established insurance company to me. See my post above 'Sorry, looking at that site it seems a bit ... I don't want to offend anybody here, but if, for example, you click on 'Do you need to make a claim?' on the contact page it states 'We have appointed Travel Claims Facilities to look after your claim.' That doesn't sound to me like they offer truly 24/7 assistance on phone or similar. SY'
My first suggestion would be to ask those insurance companies that you already have another policy like car insurance with if they offer also travel insurance.
Failing that, Lonelyplanet http://www.lonelyplanet.com/travel-insurance/ recommends World Nomads (I have used them many years ago) which is also an excellent choice imo.
Buen Camino! SY

Forgot to add: Check with your credit / debt card provider, often some sort of travel insurance is already included in your contract and an upgrade is available at reasonable prices. I also can recommend this book (not Camino specific, more general travel advice) that covers all these topics in great depth: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PB1QF4/?tag=casaivar02-20
Buen Camino! SY

Forgot to add: Check with your credit / debt card provider, often some sort of travel insurance is already included in your contract and an upgrade is available at reasonable prices. I also can recommend this book (not Camino specific, more general travel advice) that covers all these topics in great depth: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PB1QF4/?tag=casaivar02-20
Buen Camino! SY

Thank you SY, the World Nomad seems like it has a good feel to it so although slightly more expensive, the piece of mind is most probably well worth the extra :)
So, when are you walking next?
blu

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
OH, also, just read reviews on 24/7 insurance and it does NOT make for good reading!
Blessings
Blu
Hi. I try to get best travel insurance for me and my wife I am with BUPA travel, been with them a very very long time. Tried and tested but not cheap 310£ for annual insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be interesting to compare what the EHIC descriptions say about care in each of the EU countries!

Just came across this article in El Pais today. Is it knee-jerk or a reall issue?

Government warned Euro-healthcare scheme will lead to longer waiting lists
Officials consider possibility that Spain could become a cheap option for other countries

ELENA G. SEVILLANO Madrid 14 FEB 2014 - 15:48 CET

Spanish patients, like all Europeans, will now be able now choose which EU country to seek treatment in. The Cabinet last week approved a decree that implements an EU directive on cross-border healthcare. Under the system, patients will advance the money for their treatment abroad, but can request a reimbursement from their own country.

The directive aims to go one step beyond the emergency treatment already covered by the European Health Card and let patients choose another member state for specific, non-emergency treatment.

But the initiative has raised questions, such as how many Spaniards will want to get surgery abroad. And how many foreigners will come to Spain for healthcare? Uppermost among people's concerns is how reimbursement will take place. While some issues are already clear to the Health Ministry, others will have to be decided by the regions.

While patients can request any medical service abroad that's already available through the National Health Service (drug prescriptions are included as well), coverage does not extend to long-term care, organ transplants and public vaccination programs.

The State Council, the government’s key advisory body, has this week warned the government that the measure may put a major strain on Spain’s resources. “Given that our country is a recipient country for tourists, it seems likely that this could lead to an increase in demand for healthcare,” the State Council report on the law change says, which could result in “longer waiting lists.”

Additionally, reimbursement will not necessarily cover the total amount charged by the foreign hospital; instead Spanish authorities will use the official rates of each regional health service. Spain does not have a common set of rates; rather, each regional government sets its own public tariffs.

Lower fees

Spain's private health system could be the main beneficiary of this new system, says Agustín Rivero, director general of the basic services portfolio of the National Health and Pharmacy System. This is because "prestigious and renowned" private health centers could get added clients now that member states have to reimburse their citizens. Of course foreigners could choose the public health system, but it would mean long waiting lists under the same conditions as Spanish patients.

Medical fees at both public and private hospitals in Spain are lower than in many other European countries. "It could well be that for Scandinavia it is cheaper to send patients to Spain," notes Rivero.

As for Spaniards seeking healthcare abroad, certain treatments will require prior authorization, including dialysis, radiosurgery, radiotherapy, assisted reproduction or any medication costing more than 1,500 euros a month.

I have a Blue Cross Travel pak but am wondering how much coverage is needed/enough and if there are other providers with better ( I know, relative term) coverage. What do other Canadians use?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We did it through BMO.

Hello

I've read lots about travel insurance but I wonder if anyone can offer advice about 2 things...

Insurance companies make exclusions for Existing Medical Conditions - I had cancer and I take medication now for suppression and I need life long follow-up (I'm in good health now!!) I'm pretty sure I'm not alone with this on the forum so I'm curious how others dealt with this. Can you recommend any companies/policies?

Also, has anyone got insurance for their belongings... loss and theft? I've looked at the Nomad policy but it says... World Nomads expects you to take 'reasonable care' of your belongings which means a claim may be denied if you leave your camera in a shared room in a hostel or in your car overnight (unsupervised in a public place) and it's stolen.
http://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insurance/what-do-i-need-to-know.aspx
My pack and it's contents are worth enough for me to want to insure it... anyone have any recomendations?

I'm thinking maybe I'll need to take out two different policies?

many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hello

Insurance companies make exclusions for Existing Medical Conditions - I had cancer and I take medication now for suppression and I need life long follow-up (I'm in good health now!!) ... will I need specialist cover? I'm pretty sure I'm not alone with this on the forum so I'm curious how others dealt with this.

Les, you will need to declare this on a proposal form. The law varies in different countries but it is always the case that the insurer must know the risk it is covering.

As to insurance for your pack - insurance only covers the specific risks set out in the policy proposal. It is never a catch-all kind of cover. People seem to forget this. So the answer is, you need to read carefully the proposal and policy to see what is covered and the exclusions. If the particular event is not included, then you are not covered.

Every travel insurance policy is different. It is just a matter of searching to find the right one for you. I have found consumer associations helpful in making comparisons.

Here's an old but useful article from the Australian Consumers Association. The final page (checklist) has a list of travel insurers for Australians; many are international companies, so may provide you with cover.

http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-an...e/personal/travel-insurance-buying-guide.aspx

And here is an update

http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-an...onal/travel-insurance-review-and-compare.aspx

I view insurance as something to protect me against a catastrophic loss, especially due to events that I cannot control. Losing my backpack, etc.,would be an annoyance and would cost some money to replace (especially with smartphone and all) but my life would not be drastically changed if that happened. So, I am prepared to take the risks without insurance. Since costs of insurance are based on average losses and claims, I plan to take better-than-average care of my stuff. However, medical insurance is another story - I definitely want financial protection against some catastrophic medical events and accidents over which I have no control. I too have had cancer but don't see that as something I need extra travel insurance for. I'd just fly home if I needed attention for that. (However it that it still must be declared if the application forms ask for that sort of medical history information.)

Last edited:
The only travel insurance I really care about is medivac in case I am badly injured or become seriously ill and have to be shipped home. It is a plus that hospital insurance comes with that. I have medivac insurance in Alaska because I live in a town with no doctor and no hospital. Unfortunately my policy is just for local use so I need additional when I travel overseas.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wanted it stipulated on a travel insurance policy that my husband had major spinal reconstruction last year. I didn't want him to have a fall while we are away and have the travel insurance say it was a pre-existing injury. It taught me a lot about reading policy documents. I even rang one company and asked to speak to a representative from their medical team to see if he was covered (and he wasn't). I finally found a company that would issue a policy stating the surgery procedures that were performed. It cost more, of course, but we have peace of mind that it is all fully disclosed.

I wanted it stipulated on a travel insurance policy that my husband had major spinal reconstruction last year. I didn't want him to have a fall while we are away and have the travel insurance say it was a pre-existing injury. It taught me a lot about reading policy documents. I even rang one company and asked to speak to a representative from their medical team to see if he was covered (and he wasn't). I finally found a company that would issue a policy stating the surgery procedures that were performed. It cost more, of course, but we have peace of mind that it is all fully disclosed.

Sriyantra - was the policy from an international company? I've found a few links from Kanga's post... I dont mind paying more, i just want to be sure I'm covered and there's not some catch-all opt out that blames everything on the pre-existing condition. I think I've found a few but it's always good to get personal recommendations.

Kanga - many thanks for the links.

CClearly and Cher - I agree that health cover is the most important thing but having totted up how much I have spent to get kitted out (as a first timer), I do feel it's worth investigating how much it will cost to insure... but I agree the medical cover is more important... but a little peace of mind in all directions is alway useful. I've since read that the NOMAD policy is on the expensive side and I've booked marked a few companies to contact.

Many thanks for the comments... as with everything in life it's always good to get recommendations.

Sriyantra - was the policy from an international company? I've found a few links from Kanga's post... I dont mind paying more, i just want to be sure I'm covered and there's not some catch-all opt out that blames everything on the pre-existing condition. I think I've found a few but it's always good to get personal recommendations.

Kanga - many thanks for the links.

CClearly and Cher - I agree that health cover is the most important thing but having totted up how much I have spent to get kitted out (as a first timer), I do feel it's worth investigating how much it will cost to insure... but I agree the medical cover is more important... but a little peace of mind in all directions is alway useful. I've since read that the NOMAD policy is on the expensive side and I've booked marked a few companies to contact.

Many thanks for the comments... as with everything in life it's always good to get recommendations.
It is an Australian company. Insurance companies make a big noise about what they cover but when I rang one to enquire about pre-existing conditions I was told they weren't covered BUT we cover ALL of these things which the consultant listed....all basic and covered by all travel insurance companies...so in effect that is ALL they cover and nothing else! It sounds impressive but it's not. We have a governing insurance council in Australia and I also rang them for companies that might offer cover for pre-existing conditions. There were only two that they knew of, one of which turned us down (after submitting medical information) but the other was only too happy to cover us...again at a higher cost, but I felt that someone did actually see we were trying to do the right thing.

We also have insurance brokers. I rang 4 and all said they would get back to me. I am still waiting!

As I keep saying, it will be easy walking after all the necessary organisation of car storage, dog minding, flights, trains, insurance, phone, clothing, choosing a backpack, learning Spanish etc. and organising my 90 year old dad. Whew....I do need a long restful walk. 4 weeks to go..... now what have I forgotten to do??????

All the best with your plans. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, just a quick question in relation to getting insurance. Is this necessary or will the European health insurance card be sufficient
Hi Declan I've been looking into this because of recent experience with a friend in France the EHIC was OK initially and thank goodness his mortgage policy covered him for flight back to UK. So far I'm having a problem because when you go into the fine print I discover questions like - do you have a pre-existing injury, have you visited your doctor in the last 6 months, would your doctor say you were fit enough ... might be straightforward for you but I do have arthritis in my ankle and if anyone out there knows who I could try???

Hi AnnieY,

I use 2 insurance companies as im a tad older, the first is INSURE AND GO but they have a limit off 33 days out the UK for a certain age group, and the other is called STAYSURE who have a whole load of already covered conditions in the policy. you know the rest about the fine print. hope this may help. John

...so in effect that is ALL they cover and nothing else! It sounds impressive but it's not. We have a governing insurance council in Australia and I also rang them for companies that might offer cover for pre-existing conditions. There were only two that they knew of, one of which turned us down (after submitting medical information) but the other was only too happy to cover us...again at a higher cost, but I felt that someone did actually see we were trying to do the right thing.

We also have insurance brokers. I rang 4 and all said they would get back to me. I am still waiting!

Yes, it's a problem getting cover if you have a pre-existing condition - most insurers don't want to know. But if you don't declare they may avoid the whole policy, even if a claim is not related to a pre-existing condition - or if it is murky. For instance you break your leg. What happens if treatment for cancer might have contributed to osteoporosis?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, it's a problem getting cover if you have a pre-existing condition - most insurers don't want to know. But if you don't declare they may avoid the whole policy, even if a claim is not related to a pre-existing condition - or if it is murky. For instance you break your leg. What happens if treatment for cancer might have contributed to osteoporosis?

My thoughts totally Kanga... and a very real exampe for me. I am covered a bit with my EHIC and my husband could also drive down and collect me to a point... and as French resident I only have to get back over the border for treatment... but I would just like the peace of mind. I've been given the details of a couple of companies that insure for cancer (even thought I'm cancer free) - I guess this must be a problem for a lot of people for a range of reasons... I'm waiting to hear back... I'm sure there is a policy out there for me... but I dont want to find out there's a problem when I already have a serious problem to deal with. o_O

My thoughts totally Kanga... and a very real exampe for me. I am covered a bit with my EHIC and my husband could also drive down and collect me to a point... and as French resident I only have to get back over the border for treatment... but I would just like the peace of mind. I've been given the details of a couple of companies that insure for cancer (even thought I'm cancer free) - I guess this must be a problem for a lot of people for a range of reasons... I'm waiting to hear back... I'm sure there is a policy out there for me... but I dont want to find out there's a problem when I already have a serious problem to deal with. o_O

LesBrass:

I am a cancer survivor myself. The only concerns I have when walking every year is medical coverage and being transported home. My current Health insurance provides that coverage. Something I did not know prior to investigation.

In regards to belongings protection, I do not have any possessions, in my pack, I would need to insure.

I would recommend you investigate the coverage of your current insurance fully. If you need to, supplement with a policy that will give you peace of mind.

Ultreya,
Joe

My wife and I have a quite good travel insurance already, organised through my bank. We will be starting our first camino on 4th September from SJPDP. With this in mind I checked earlier today to see if we could get the insurance cover extended (from its current 31 days for any single trip) to cover 50 days. The response that I got was quite ridiculous. Apparently we are not covered, at all, for hiking/rambling/trekking unless accompanied by a qualified guide. They are quite adamant about this and not open to any alteration.

So that leaves us in the position of trying to find a good travel insurance company that will cover us for up to 50 days, bearing in mind that I am 72 and my wife is 68. Has anyone else had this problem and /or can you suggest any good companies providing such insurance for UK based clients?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My wife and I have a quite good travel insurance already, organised through my bank. We will be starting our first camino on 4th September from SJPDP. With this in mind I checked earlier today to see if we could get the insurance cover extended (from its current 31 days for any single trip) to cover 50 days. The response that I got was quite ridiculous. Apparently we are not covered, at all, for hiking/rambling/trekking unless accompanied by a qualified guide. They are quite adamant about this and not open to any alteration.

So that leaves us in the position of trying to find a good travel insurance company that will cover us for up to 50 days, bearing in mind that I am 72 and my wife is 68. Has anyone else had this problem and /or can you suggest any good companies providing such insurance for UK based clients?
We are with Nationwide bank, so had to buy extra days last year up to around 50. This year, because my husband is now 75, that also has meant additional premium. He also has 2 new meds, related to quite minor problems, so this also incurs more cost. However, the total this year comes to £170. For peace of mind re repatriation costs, especially, I feel this is a worthwhile expenditure out of the total for our trip.

We are with Nationwide bank, so had to buy extra days last year up to around 50. This year, because my husband is now 75, that also has meant additional premium. He also has 2 new meds, related to quite minor problems, so this also incurs more cost. However, the total this year comes to £170. For peace of mind re repatriation costs, especially, I feel this is a worthwhile expenditure out of the total for our trip.
Thanks for the reply. I quite agree that the cost of the travel insurance is well worthwhile. But the problem with our existing insurance provider is that they will not cover me for anything as I am over 70yrs old, but it still covers my wife (68), but even so will cover my wife for "Hiking and Trekking up to 5000 metres altitude" ONLY if accompanied by a qualified guide. (Brainless mindsets spring to mind ).

Your cover with Nationwide Bank seems much more reasonable, but we bank with HSBC and it's not really feasible to swap banks just for better insurance cover. Your policy seems to allow some flexibility i.e. paying for extended periods or greater ages limits, unfortunately HSBC seem to have everything set in stone. We'll keep looking......

Thanks for the reply. I quite agree that the cost of the travel insurance is well worthwhile. But the problem with our existing insurance provider is that they will not cover me for anything as I am over 70yrs old, but it still covers my wife (68), but even so will cover my wife for "Hiking and Trekking up to 5000 metres altitude" ONLY if accompanied by a qualified guide. (Brainless mindsets spring to mind ).

Your cover with Nationwide Bank seems much more reasonable, but we bank with HSBC and it's not really feasible to swap banks just for better insurance cover. Your policy seems to allow some flexibility i.e. paying for extended periods or greater ages limits, unfortunately HSBC seem to have everything set in stone. We'll keep looking......
I suggest you go to a local insurance broker; the cover you need is definitely out there and it may be easier to get help via a broker. Make it clear that you are not doing a "trek", just a long walk!

Just a caution I thought I would pass on - if you are relying on travel insurance that your credit card offers then have a good look at it. The time of our flight from Santiago to Madrid has been changed and when I picked up the new ticket from the travel agent we started to talking about travel insurance. The agent told me that they are astounded at the number of people going overseas believing that their credit card travel insurance is all they need, or they haven't read the fine print re using their card to qualify for the insurance. When they need the insurance they find out that there are all sorts of loopholes. Check it out if you intend getting your insurance that way.

I travel a lot and only in the past two years realised my credit card covers me for accidents, theft etc. it's better coverage than the expensive insurance policies I've been taking out all these years. I made a claim after being robbed last year in Italy and they were terrific. It may be worth checking with your bank.

But yes, travel insurance at a minimum for medical accident coverage and repatriation is worth it!!

Cheers,
Amanda

Just a caution I thought I would pass on - if you are relying on travel insurance that your credit card offers then have a good look at it. The time of our flight from Santiago to Madrid has been changed and when I picked up the new ticket from the travel agent we started to talking about travel insurance. The agent told me that they are astounded at the number of people going overseas believing that their credit card travel insurance is all they need, or they haven't read the fine print re using their card to qualify for the insurance. When they need the insurance they find out that there are all sorts of loopholes. Check it out if you intend getting your insurance that way.
Good advice. Check your particular cards details!!! As I've said above, mine offers great insurance but not all of them do!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good advice. Check your particular cards details!!! As I've said above, mine offers great insurance but not all of them do!
One of the main points to check is the duration of the insured cover. Most policies only cover for a limited period, this applies even to a full year policy. Companies seem to quote a maximum number of days per year e.g 90 days, but be aware that any single trip is limited to something between 28 and 42 days. The one my wife has allows for single trips of up to 40 days if you are aged up to 65 years but only 31 days for those older. If you are her age (68) the 31 day limit will probably not be adequate cover for the time need to go from SJPDP to SDC disregarding any further walking to Muxia.

The hiking cover, but only if accompanied by a "qualified" guide, did make me laugh. I think we all qualify!

PJ Hayman Rowlands Castle allows you to put your pre-existing condition

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The hiking cover, but only if accompanied by a "qualified" guide, did make me laugh. I think we all qualify!
On further investigation of the need for a "qualified guide" I think that they assume that if you are hiking you must be high in some mountain range or other, which explains the 5000 metres altitude aspect as well.

We have now found a UK travel insurance company "Staysure" who will happily cover people up to 84 years old and also include full cover for almost all forms of walking/hiking/trekking and do not require the services of a "qualified guide" at any altitude. So our problems are now solved. Thanks for the helpful advice.

From USA I would recommend Travel Guard or comparable travel insurance to cover for evacuation, death, emergencies unforeseen. Travel Guard covers for all contingencies and is NOT expensive. Why worry when you can have full coverage for the length of your trip??

From USA I would recommend Travel Guard or comparable travel insurance to cover for evacuation, death, emergencies unforeseen. Travel Guard covers for all contingencies and is NOT expensive. Why worry when you can have full coverage for the length of your trip??

Has anyone used AAA for their travel insurance? I'm just beginning to look into this and would love any feedback on AAA or any other US based travel insurance companies, etc. Thanks! Julie

I've used Travelex twice. Price seems reasonable, coverage seems excellent. The Pre-Existing Condition exclusion is waived if you purchase the insurance within 21 days of making your first trip deposit. Service was excellent. My coverage included $2,000,000 in medivac/repatriation coverage. The 58 page policy did not seem to have anything objectionable. (And they were smallish pages!)

Fortunately, however, I have not had to make claims and cannot comment on claim service.

Anyone have any experience with Travelex claims?

Karl

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back