• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Intro from Florida and a question :)

Bethy446

Time of past OR future Camino
Hoping, prepping, and saving for a September 2016 Camino Frances!
Hi! I'm Beth from Florida and am planning for a September 2016 Camino. I'm flipped out excited about it and wish I could leave tomorrow -- but I know I must train and save (blah blah) to get there. Here's my question - Has anyone else come across strange reactions from loved ones about embarking on your camino?

I want to talk about it constantly, but I'm finding myself holding back because the few people I've opened up to about it seem confused and almost skeptical about my ability and reasoning behind wanting to go. I'm not sure I've ever felt called to do something before, and it's difficult to express. My short term decision is just not to talk to anyone but family (and folks here) about it, even though it's constantly on my mind. This is quite counter-intuitive, since I'm usually pretty gabby about things that are going on in my life. Anyhoo. Just wondered how you guys dealt with it. Thanks in advance for your responses!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Shalom Bethy and Greetings from Jerusalem!

I was born and raised in Tampa, left in 1970 and have never been back! But that's not why I'm writing.

You wrote, "I want to talk about it constantly, but I'm finding myself holding back because the few people I've opened up to about it seem confused and almost skeptical about my ability and reasoning behind wanting to go. I'm not sure I've ever felt called to do something before, and it's difficult to express". I can certainly identify with that! We Jewish pilgrims are few and far between and nobody here has any idea of the why, the where, or the amazement which you are about to experience. This is for you a great introduction and should someone close express the interest show them too.

I have walked all or part of 5 different Caminos, an obsessed pilgrim. Should you have any questions, fire away here on the forum or with a private conversation, anything at all, history, art, architecture, the hows and the wheres no problem at all. I can recommend books- many very good many v ery bad, maps-not needed, guides whatever, feel free- that's what this forum is all about!

Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Has anyone else come across strange reactions from loved ones about embarking on your camino?
Don't read too much into the reactions. They will come from curiosity, anxiety, desire to control, and myriad other sources. Be confident in what you want to do, plan, train, and go resolutely. You are not likely to regret it!

Buen camino.

I can't imagine regretting it!
Thank you so much for responding - I'm sure I'll have a million questions the more I research and plan.

I can't imagine regretting it!
Thank you so much for responding - I'm sure I'll have a million questions the more I research and plan.
Hi Bethy interesting this - last year I was going to do the Camino and for various reasons didn't - since then I have made a concerted effort to start this September - on reflection whilst I was bitterly disappointed not going in 2013 I realise I have needed the time to plan and prepare (mentally and physically) this forum is fantastic for all the help you can imagine to your questions. One thing I took great store by was finding a group who met here in Devon (England) it was great to meet people who had trod the way before, it gave me confidence that perhaps I can do it - Buen Camino and Shalom - Annie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Beth:
I am also looking forward to walking the Camino in 2016 (in May) and have had similar reactions from those I have told of my plans. I've tended to keep my plans more private for now and use this wonderful forum to help with my plans. I do, however, often find myself wanting to just talk about my plans. Fortunately, I have my wife to share this with. She's agreed to come with me on the Camino (I would not do it without her), though she is doing it for me rather than as a trip she would take on her own and is leaving the planning to me.
Joe
P.S. My wife told our best friends about the planned hike and it turns out their niece was on the Camino this past summer. A nice discovery and one more person to talk to about our trip.

Last edited:
Hi Bethy, I was born in Ocala and spent the first 20 years of my life in a little town about 10 miles from there.

Don't worry about telling people. They will hear about the Camino from you, for the first time, then they will hear about it once or twice again, and will be forced to realize what a really cool thing walking the Camino truly is.

Eventually they will realize what you're doing is really a marvelous thing and will be envious. That was my experience. Next year I'm going back twice, once with a bunch who want to do the slack packing thing, and again with my nephew and God Son who will be turning 18.

Hi Bethy, I was born in Ocala and spent the first 20 years of my life in a little town about 10 miles from there.

I bet I know that little town! I grew up in Perry, and now I'm in Central Florida, so I drive through Ocala quite a bit. :)

Everyone here is so helpful - It feels nice to have a place where I can talk about it without people thinking I'm weird.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
PERRY!!!!! That means I can't talk to you, my mother is from Cross City. HAHA!!!!!! Well, maybe I can talk to you since my uncle and aunt lived in Keaton Beach.

The only problem you will have on the Camino is trying to find fried mullet and rice and tomato gravy.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Beth - don't worry your enthusiasm is all part of the training. There are two dvds you can get your family as part of the education process: 1 The Way - the Martin Sheen / Emilio Estevez movie about the Camino; 2 Six Ways to Santiago (will be released in Nov). Just watched the first - again (for about the 5 time) and if you get the DVD rather than downloading it has a great discussion/review about how they made the movie. The second - I have only seen shorts - is about 6 different pilgrims, why they are walking, where do they live etc.
That you have another 18-20 months before departure may mean you become more than a little obsessed. But don't worry your new Camino Family will keep you sane. Buen Camino :);)

It is really all I think about! When I drive to work, I think about walking it. When I see people on the roadside, I think of them as pilgrims. When I'm sweating at my daughter's band practice, I think about how it's good practice for the Camino.
I imagine one day I'll be thinking about things in the opposite way: "I walked 500 miles across northern Spain, I can do this."

Thank goodness for this forum -- I can't possibly run out of things to read.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...
I am hiking the Norte and Primitive routes starting May 16, 2024. This will be my first Camino. I have access to the Buen Camino app, Gronze, and a guidebook which are all excellent at providing...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.