• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Iowa Teens

Hroswitha

Greetings to all.

I'm presenting my proposal for a Spanish camino for June of 2015 this Sunday. We have a group of 5 teens (1 boy, 4 girls) and three adult chaperons.

I have pared down the trip to the basics: fly to Santiago, public transport (preferably train) from Santiago to Sarria, walk for six days back to Santiago, and then perhaps a day trip to Finesterre by bus or train.

Here is my general monetary proposal:

Albergues range from 5 -10 euros per night (US dollars 7-12)
6 nights X $12 = $72
Food - $30 per day
6 days X 30 = 180
Total - $252

Rail travel from Santiago to Sarria $30
Hotel stay in Santiago: $20 per person X 3 nights = $60
Food in Santiago: $50 per day X 3 days = $150
Flight from Chicago to Santiago: $1300 (best guess)

Total for trip: $1792

I'm hoping to persuade the parents and church to add a contingency fund of around $250 per person for the trip. This would cover higher than expected costs along the way and the purchase of equipment we don't know we need until we arrive - like your rain gear or blister kits or such. That would bring my total to $2042.

Am I off on this?

What happens if we arrive in a town and the albergues are full?

If we have to say in a hostel or inn, how much more could we expect to pay? Is this contingency fund large enough?

Am I overlooking a basic expense in this list that would affect the overall cost?

Thanks to everyone for any advice you might be able to give.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You shouldn't need your contingency fund for raingear and blisterkits.These are items you HAVE to bring. You need a blisterkit and i think in June a raincoat could still be usefull.

5-10 euros for albergues could be possible, certainly if you in municipal albergues. Some private albergues might me a bit more then 10 euro (not all). Say 12 to 14 sometimes.

22 euro for food a day is possible, but dont eat to much then. A pilgrim menu is around euro 10, so that leaves you with 12 euro for breakfast and lunch. Yes, it can be done, but your going to have to pay attention to what you eat and drink. Maybe better if you could stretch it to 30 euro instead of dollars.

Not sure if you can find a hotel in Santiago for 20 dollars. Again, maybe in euros you can. Albergues (and youthhostels) you will find for around the dollar amount.

Private rooms (for 2) along the way vary from as low as 20 euro without own bathroom to 30-40 euro with private bath ect. Depends on what a town has to offer, i guess.

I think you can fly for 1300 dollars, but there is a chance you will be on a long (30+hour) flight with 2 stopovers instead of one stopover with maybe 16-20 hours of traveltime. Be sure to check that and see if the money your saving is worth the longer trip and hassle.
Just a thought, but maybe some USA pilgrims have more information on this.

Last edited:
Hi Hroswitha,
We've brought over several groups from the US and your numbers seem pretty accurate. We usually plan for 1.5€ per km for the on-the-Camino budget, and a little more per day for the days in Santiago. It is a good idea to have a backup contingency fund to cover hotels/ inns in case the albergues along the trail are full some nights (in June you should still be fine, but with $250 you have a great margin for emergencies).

Some thoughts in response to your questions:
- You can't take a train from Santiago to Sarria, unfortunately. You'll have to take a bus, usually from Santiago to Lugo, then Lugo to Sarria (I think it ends up being about 15€ total). Since the bus arrives in the early afternoon (unless you take a later itinerary and it arrives even later in the day), you may want to build in a night in Sarria before starting out the next day on the Camino. Most pilgrims are on the trail between 6 - 8am, and arrive at their hostels between 1pm - 4pm, so it might be a good idea to be able to start out the day with everyone else. But it's up to you. Recently I heard there's now a direct bus from Santiago to Sarria, so the timetable then might be different. Perhaps other members can pipe in about the direct bus route.

- If you arrive in a town and the albergue you want is full, you can either find a private hostel (usually around 10€ - 15€ per person, as Dutch said above), or a hotel (more expensive) in that same town. If everything is full, you may need to walk on to the next town.

- In Santiago, there are several albergues that you could stay at to stay within your $20 per night budget: Fin del Camino, Santo Santiago, La Estrella, and Seminario Menor, among others. If you're looking for a nicer hotel or hostel, you may need to increase your budget.

- In your calculations, did you include your bus fare to and from Finisterre? It's about 15€ I believe for a round-trip ticket. Again, there aren't trains to Finisterre, just a 3-hour bus ride.

- IF you can find cheaper flights into La Coruña (LCG airport code), you *can* take a train from La Coruña to Sarria.

All that being said, I think your plan is a good one and is do-able, especially with the $250 buffer for the unexpected! Good job!

Feel free to send us a private message if you'd like to talk more. We're from Chicago and now we live in Santiago and bring over teams and volunteers, so budgeting like this is right up our alley :)!

Take care,
Faith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions.

Faith - so you're estimating around $220 per person for the walking part of the camino, right? Instead of rail travel, we'd take the bus for only $20, and with a contingency fund in case the public albergues are full, the price I have listed is within reason, yes?

I am worried somewhat about the flight. It's hard to tell what to expect this far out. I can see September flights for under $1300, but we're not in season right now, so prices may be either high or low. I expect the $1300 will be more like $1400 after fees, but it's hard to tell.

I'll be traveling with a group of 8, so even if I can get one or two tickets last minute and they are cheaper, we won't be able to fly together.

I think I'll present costs to the group of around $2100 best guess for flights and hotels and food. That would include a contingency margin of $250. Then, if we need to stay in a private albergue or even a hotel, we have the means to do that without breaking the bank.

$220 for 6 days and nights? Thats €160, about 26-27 a day. Again, it can be done and you wont be the first, but you cant afford anything out of the ordinary to happen. I've seen what some people who were on a strict budget eat a day and it wasnt much or any good. Skipping breakfast 'cause it costs money. Eating a roll of cookies for lunch because its cheap, filling and quick energy and calories.

Seems to me, seeing as your going to ask the parents of these kids for a lot of money anyway, your better of askimg for a bit more, so there is room for a good lunch and breakfast and or an extra coke, icecream or waterbottle along the way, without thinking....what if i dont find a €5 albergue?

Or give the parents two options. One for going on a budget and another that provides just a little extra room for food and drinks.
If it was my kid who was going and i have to pay alot of money anyways, i would rather pay a little more for food and drinks then for them to have to save money on something important like that.

Here is a list of albergues from Sarria to Santiago. You can see the capacity and price, in Euros, of each:

(1) Sarria
Albergue de la Xunta de Sarria 40 plazas | 6 euros | Cocina de uso libre (sin utensilios)
Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena 100 plazas | 10 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue Don Álvaro 40 plazas | 9 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue O Durmiñento 40 plazas | 10 euros | Cenas
Albergue Los Blasones 40 plazas | 8-9 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue Dos Oito Marabedís 22 plazas | 10 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue Internacional 43 plazas | 10 euros | Bar-restaurante
Albergue San Lázaro 27 plazas | 10 euros | Sin cocina
Albergue Casa Peltre 22 plazas | 10 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue Mayor 16 plazas | 10 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue A Pedra 15 plazas | 10 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue Oasis 27 plazas | 10 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue Barbacoa del Camino 14 plazas | 8,50-10 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue Obradoiro 28 plazas | 8 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue Credencial 28 plazas | 9-7 euros | Bar
Albergue Puente Ribeira 41 plazas | 9 euros | Cafetería
Albergue Alma do Camiño 96 plazas | 6,5-9 euros | Cocina de uso libre

2) Barbadelo
Albergue de la Xunta de Barbadelo 18 plazas | 6 euros | Cocina de uso libre (sin utensilios)
Albergue A Casa de Carmen 26 plazas | 10 euros | Cocina de uso libre / Bar-restaurante
Albergue O Pombal 12 plazas | 10 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue Casa Barbadelo 23 plazas | 9-12 euros | Bar-restaurante
Albergue 108 to Santiago 12 plazas | 8-15 euros | Sin cocina

(3) Barreiros
Albergue Granxa de Barreiros 49 plazas | 10 euros | Menú | Para peregrinos abierto a partir del 20 de julio

(4) Molino de Marzán
Albergue Molino de Marzán 16 plazas | 10 euros | Cocina de uso libre

(5) Morgade
Albergue Casa Morgade 6 plazas | 10 euros | Bar-restaurante

(6) Ferreiros
Albergue de la Xunta de Ferreiros 22 plazas | 6 euros | Cocina de uso libre (sin utensilios)
Albergue Casa Cruceiro de Ferreiros 16 plazas | 10 euros | Bar-restaurante
Albergue O Mirallos 20 plazas | Donativo | Bar-restaurante

(7) A Pena
Albergue Casa do Rego 6 plazas | 10 euros | Bar-restaurante y cena comunitaria

(8) Mercadoiro
Albergue de Mercadoiro 32 plazas | 10 euros | Bar-restaurante

(9) Vilachá
Albergue Casa Banderas 10 plazas | 10 euros | Cena comunitaria

(10) Portomarín
Albergue de la Xunta de Portomarín 114 plazas | 6 euros | Cocina de uso libre (sin utensilios)
Albergue O Mirador 34 plazas | 10 euros | Bar-restaurante
Albergue Ferramenteiro 130 plazas | 10 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue El Caminante 12 plazas | 10 euros | Bar-restaurante
Albergue PortoSantiago 14 plazas | 10 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue Manuel 16 plazas | 10 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue Ultreia 14 plazas | 10 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue Novo Porto 22 plazas | 10 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue Folgueira 32 plazas | 10 euros | Cocina de uso libre

(2) Gonzar
Albergue de la Xunta de Gonzar 30 plazas | 6 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue Casa García 26 plazas | 10 euros | Bar-restaurante

(4) Hospital da Cruz
Albergue de la Xunta de Hospital da Cruz 32 plazas | 6 euros | Cocina de uso libre (sin utensilios)

(5) Ventas de Narón
Albergue Casa Molar 18 plazas | 10 euros | Bar-restaurante
Albergue O Cruceiro 22 plazas | 10 euros | Bar-restaurante

(6) Ligonde
Albergue municipal Escuela de Ligonde 20 plazas | 8 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue de la Xunta de Ligonde 20 plazas | 6 euros | Cocina de uso libre (sin utensilios)
Albergue La Fuente del Peregrino 20 plazas | Donativo | Cena comunitaria

(7) Lestedo
Albergue A Calzada 10 plazas | 10 euros | Bar-restaurante
Albergue A Paso de Formiga 8 plazas | 10 euros | Bar-restaurante

(8) Novelúa
Albergue Nirvana Lodge 14 plazas | 10 euros | Cocina de uso libre / Cenas

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As far as airfare goes I got milwaukee to Paris, and Madrid home to Milwaukee for $800. You need to get your tickets as soon as you can. I got that price as soon as the airline posted the flight, about 11 months out. The price has climed quite a bit since.

Dutch - if you think that $220 for six days is too little for food, I can up the ask to closer to $250 or $300. Right now, I'm just trying to get a general sense of costs.

Parents won't be paying huge amounts for this trip, though. This is the way we're working it.

Let's say the entire trip (with contingency fee) runs $2200 per person. 1/3 of that amount is the responsibility of the families - $733. Our church is sponsoring this, and will contribute $500 per person. $1233 is therefore already covered. The remainder of the costs will be paid for from fundraising activities. We have already raised $3000 as a group, and have about 10 months to raise the rest. That figure is $4736. The church will sustain about another $2000 in financial support through bake sales and other activities, so we just need to find $3000 total.

The contingency fund is supposed to cover expenses that are higher than expected - such as food along the camino. So if we arrive and learn that 30 euros per day per person won't get us far, we have the margin to allow for more. I am diabetic, and know quite well the necessity of priming the tank with healthy food. One of the other chaperons is a nurse in the military. I don't think cookies for lunch will go on long.

Monk Moses - that's brilliant! Thank you SO MUCH for that list. It's exactly what I need. Bless you for providing it.

I think $220 for just food is ok, but i thought is was for food and albergues together. Maybe i undestood it wrong. If not, then like i said, yes you can manage it daily for that amount, but you have to be strickt about how you spend it. You wont be the first, nor the last, who has that daily budget, but still 26-27 euro per day isn't a lot. If you set aside 10 euro for an albergue, your left with 16-17 euro for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And a pilgrim menu is on average 10 euro, so thats 6-7 euro left for breakfast and lunch. That, i think, isn't a lot. The lunch and breakfast budget. I would struggle with 6-7 euro for those 2 meals and i am not a big eater.
I guess if you would spend the contingency fund on this, you'll be more then fine :)

I didn't understand that the fund was meant for food as well. I thought it was pure emergency money. I did not think of food as an emergency, but as a necessity ;)

Good luck with the planning. I hope the parents are gonna vote your way. The kids will have a great experience, i'm sure.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dutch - what if I increase the budget to 30 euros per day - $39 per person per day. That's $234 per person. I've looked at albergues costs and see that most places we should be able to say for appx. 10 euros per night - that's $13.25 per night, $79.5 per person for the six days walking. total then would be $313.5 per person for the six days on camino.

I'm figuring more for food and lodging in Santiago, although one source I have on the ground there says the hostels offer pilgrims' rates of as low as $20 per night. If we fly in to Santiago and spend two nights before starting the camino, and I figure a more generous allowance of $30 per night plus $50 for food in the city, that would be $110 for those two days.

Once we return to Santiago, another night at $30 plus $50 in food, and figure at least $50 a day in food and associated costs while flying, and we add $180 to the travel costs. Total now is $603 per person.

If I can get flights for $1300 per person, the total would be $1905. Add $250 contingency fund per person, and the total is $2155 per person. Transit in-country by bus seems to be around $20 per person - that makes it $2175.

The way I want to plan this adds a bit of a buffer in along the way. If we stay in a public albergue one or two nights, the cost may be lower (given the prices I've found). Some places seem to offer really inexpensive pilgrims' meals, and that could reduce the cost of food somewhat. Everyone will also have some pocket money to purchase what they like in Santiago or in the villages along the way. Those things don't come from the contingency fund - they are extra. If we decide to go to Finesterra, we'll build that in to the costs of the trip before we go.

Total trip for 8 = $17,400. Parents will provide $5742 of that cost ($717 per person). The church pays $4000 toward the cost. That leaves $7658 to raise, of which we already have $3000. We need to raise $4658, and $2000 will come through church fundraisers. The rest will have to come from activities in the community - busing tables, cleaning stadiums, etc. We would have to earn appx. $400 a month as a group (beyond the church fund raisers) to do this, but I think it's do-able.

With 30 euros and a contingency fund (also to be used for food, like i understood) and some private pocket money i'm sure you'll be more then ok :) no worries.

I should've clarified earlier- the 1.5€ per km guideline came with the assumption of eating a pilgrim menu or other nicer meal once a day, then doing groceries for the other two meals and coffee breaks the rest of the day. This usually works out fine if you're on a stricter budget, but I think where you landed with your last estimate is wise and should leave you guys plenty of margin to enjoy all that comes. Hope the bake sales and other fundraising plans go well!
Faith

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For beverage selection, wine is the least expensive, followed by coffee. Only tap water is free, and restaurants will usually deliver bottled water if you ask for water. So water is more expensive than coffee, and about the same as beer. The most expensive is soda. So if your teens are addicted to soft drinks, they will need several Euro more each day. From a vending machine, a soft drink will be about 1.50E; in a restaurant 2E or a bit more. A 4E sandwich (bocadillo) turns into a 6E meal if Coca Cola is added. That is $8 total when it includes the hollow calories of a soft drink. The pilgrim menu, a three course meal with bread and beverage included, is 8-9E, and will offer several healthy choices, many of them pig-based.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back