• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Irun to Santo Domingo

joannam

Time of past OR future Camino
2007 Camino Frances bicycle
2008 Via de la Plata bicycle
2010 Camino Frances
2011 Camino Frances
2012 Le Puy
2013 Le Puy
2014 Tunnel Route
I am starting this route on Friday 25 April, any recent news or advice? I will be walking by myself and hoping to stay in Hotels or B & B's. Information on the biggest towns would be appreciated too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi we walked this way in June 2013 and I have written about it in this forum. Signage is good. Food is great. Tolosa is a nice town and Vitoria is worth an extra day to look around especially the cathedral they are restoring. Haro is a nice place too. We had 2 days of rain at the beginning which meant lots of mud and slower us down. We only did 11 km the first day and should have gone further. You will probably not meet other pilgrims. Beautiful part of Spain.

Hi we walked this way in June 2013 and I have written about it in this forum. Signage is good. Food is great. Tolosa is a nice town and Vitoria is worth an extra day to look around especially the cathedral they are restoring. Haro is a nice place too. We had 2 days of rain at the beginning which meant lots of mud and slower us down. We only did 11 km the first day and should have gone further. You will probably not meet other pilgrims. Beautiful part of Spain.
Thank you for replying I have looked at and noted your posts, though I am also considering doing the short first day as I haven't done any distances since last year

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Vasco actually starts much easier than the Frances. Most of the early walking is through towns on pedestrian pathways. After Beasain it becomes a more rural walk. The only real climb is out of Zegema about 1100 meters if I recall and at the top you go through the tunnel. There are some beautiful views as you approach the Brinas Haro area. Very nice wine country. You are unlikely to encounter other Pilgrims, possibly some Spanish walkers. This is very much a walk through Basque Country. I liked this walk. You will have Pilgrim shock when you get to Santa Domingo de Calzada. I recommend you walk on to Granon and stay there. One of the best Donativo Albergues on any of the Camino's.

In Zegema stay at the Pension or two star hotel. The Albergue is a big empty sports arena. Also in some towns yo will need to pick up the key to get in an Albergue. It has been two years and three Camino' they all start to run together. Annie the nurse might be a good resource on this Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
The Vasco actually starts much easier than the Frances. Most of the early walking is through towns on pedestrian pathways. After Beasain it becomes a more rural walk. The only real climb is out of Zegema about 1100 meters if I recall and at the top you go through the tunnel. There are some beautiful views as you approach the Brinas Haro area. Very nice wine country. You are unlikely to encounter other Pilgrims, possibly some Spanish walkers. This is very much a walk through Basque Country. I liked this walk. You will have Pilgrim shock when you get to Santa Domingo de Calzada. I recommend you walk on to Granon and stay there. One of the best Donativo Albergues on any of the Camino's.

In Zegema stay at the Pension or two star hotel. The Albergue is a big empty sports arena. Also in some towns yo will need to pick up the key to get in an Albergue. It has been two years and three Camino' they all start to run together. Annie the nurse might be a good resource on this Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe
Thanks Joe, I'm currently in Oiartzun, will take your advice at Zegama. I stayed at Granon a couple of years ago, this time I thought I might try the Parador in Santo Domngo, I get the over 55 special!

Thanks Joe, I'm currently in Oiartzun, will take your advice at Zegama. I stayed at Granon a couple of years ago, this time I thought I might try the Parador in Santo Domngo, I get the over 55 special!

Granon is a treasure but the Parador is a treat.

Joe

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am slated to volunteer some time at Granon in Spetmber. I am thinking of walking the Irun route to Granon. I fly into Paris and can take a train to Irun. My question is: I'm a low budget pilgrim. I am not afraid of camping in the woods and I don't necessarily need a camp ground. How did it look for some stealth camping?

There are quite many albergues on the Vasco - Irun, Andoain, Beasain, Zegama (in a sports hall and FREE, they did not want any money for the night, cold showers though), Vitoria (youth hostel), La Puebla de Arganzon, Haro, Santo Domingo and Granon. So no need to camp outside!

Last edited:
Are you all referring to the Tunnel Route? That's where I'm headed and I am looking at some of the guides such as the CSJ and they just freak me out. Is it possible to get a decent map? I'm better off with that I think...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Love the SDdC Parador. Best part is the location, across the plaza from my favorite restaurant, Los Caballeros, http://www.restauranteloscaballeros.com/
Not cheap, but like the parador, a genuine Camino treat.
Buen Camino

Last edited:
Are you all referring to the Tunnel Route? That's where I'm headed and I am looking at some of the guides such as the CSJ and they just freak me out. Is it possible to get a decent map? I'm better off with that I think...

Have you looked at the Eroski guide?

Yes, I have looked at it and thanks for the reminder on that one. I have 2 that I have downloaded. One is the CSJ and the other I'm thinking is the Eroski guide but I will check on that again. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep you posted.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Canuck. That's a complicated website but very colorful. Is there a printable version of their guide? I didn't see one.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks Canuck. Yes that is one of the 2 I found that were most useful. I also found the CSJ guide. One of the 2 will supplement my best guesses. What's the worst that can happen? If I get really lost I'll end up back in France. Getting to Santiago is just the icing on the cake in this life...

Thanks Canuck. Yes that is one of the 2 I found that were most useful. I also found the CSJ guide. One of the 2 will supplement my best guesses. What's the worst that can happen? If I get really lost I'll end up back in France. Getting to Santiago is just the icing on the cake in this life...

Hello,

I am preparing for Camino Vasco, that's why I read this forum, which is very useful and thanks everybody for writing it.

I wolud like to ask two things.
One of them is what is CSJ guide? This one:
http://www.csj.org.uk/guides.htm
Another question. Does Camino Vasco is a safe route for a woman alone?
Thanks,
Erika

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello,

I am preparing for Camino Vasco, that's why I read this forum, which is very useful and thanks everybody for writing it.

I wolud like to ask two things.
One of them is what is CSJ guide? This one:
http://www.csj.org.uk/guides.htm
Another question. Does Camino Vasco is a safe route for a woman alone?
Thanks,
Erika

Yes in regards to your first question. The second question, as to safety, I would also answer yes too.

That said, the Vasco is a very sparsely traveled route and your question could be more related to your comfort at being alone. The only remote part is the walk from Zegema to Salvatierra. This is the segment up the mountain and through the tunnel. I enjoyed this walk. You might want to get a woman's opinion. Fatma and Anniethenurse have walked this route.

Ultreya,
Joe

Yes in regards to your first question. The second question, as to safety, I would also answer yes too.

That said, the Vasco is a very sparsely traveled route and your question could be more related to your comfort at being alone. The only remote part is the walk from Zegema to Salvatierra. This is the segment up the mountain and through the tunnel. I enjoyed this walk. You might want to get a woman's opinion. Fatma and Anniethenurse have walked this route.

Ultreya,
Joe
Hi Joe,
Thanks for your answer.
I was thinking a lot about which route I would choose... But after I red a lot about Camino Vasco, I fell in love in it:)
Erika

Hi Joe,
Thanks for your answer.
I was thinking a lot about which route I would choose... But after I red a lot about Camino Vasco, I fell in love in it:)
Erika

I agree, I'd never heard of it until I looked at alternatives to starting from SJPDP. It seems to make so much sense when I read about so many people trying to find out the best way to get to St Jean from Biarritz or Bayonne when Hendaye/Irun are just down the road. It sounds like an easier start too. It would be nice also if the money spent by Pilgrims was spread around the different Caminos a bit more and if more Pilgrims were aware of the route then it might not be such a lonely start to the Camino. I'm looking forward to starting from Hendaye in march 2016, should arrive in Vitoria in time for Easter, I bet that will be great.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree, I'd never heard of it until I looked at alternatives to starting from SJPDP. It seems to make so much sense when I read about so many people trying to find out the best way to get to St Jean from Biarritz or Bayonne when Hendaye/Irun are just down the road. It sounds like an easier start too. It would be nice also if the money spent by Pilgrims was spread around the different Caminos a bit more and if more Pilgrims were aware of the route then it might not be such a lonely start to the Camino. I'm looking forward to starting from Hendaye in march 2016, should arrive in Vitoria in time for Easter, I bet that will be great.
If you are looking to start from Bayonne than you should take Camino Baztan (there's a thread on this forum) to SJPdP.

But if you want to start in Irun then Camino Vasco del Interior is the answer ;) It's on my bucket list together with extension on CF and then San Salvador, Primitivo and from Melide to SdC. I call it Combo North...

Ultreia!

If you are looking to start from Bayonne than you should take Camino Baztan (there's a thread on this forum) to SJPdP.

But if you want to start in Irun then Camino Vasco del Interior is the answer ;) It's on my bucket list together with extension on CF and then San Salvador, Primitivo and from Melide to SdC. I call it Combo North...

Ultreia!
@Diefenbaker
Ups, I've made a mistake, sorry...
Camino Baztan runs from Bayonne to Pamplona, not to SJPdP.
Bayonne to SJPdP is camino called Voie de la Nive (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voie_de_la_Nive).

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back