• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is this an old peoples walk ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFB

My pastor suggested a Camino to me, knowing that I have done a lot of hiking around the world. After doing some research, I cannot figure out if this is the right option for me. A couple friends at a shop that specializes in hiking laughed when I told them that I was thinking about this and called it "an old peoples walk". Is this something that I should hold off on until I retire ? I like to hike long treks and enjoy nature and interesting sites.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Its mixed, but there is periods when certain age groups stand out. In the middle of summer it seems to be more young people. When I have walked in Autumn or the cusp of Winter there seems to be more middle aged or older. But to brush off the Camino as an old peoples walk is to be ignorant of the posibilties of meeting people and the sometimes quite profound effect they have on you regardless of age.

Last I heard the tollmaster outside St Jean at the fork , checks for valid AARP Cards . I know mines up to date that's all I care about and of course my 6 week supply of Depends :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My pastor suggested a Camino to me, knowing that I have done a lot of hiking around the world.
This Forum is about the Caminos to Santiago. You could try out the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago. It's renowned to be a "tougher" Camino. I'm not sure whether this is for "old" people, or for those who seem to have a longer life expectancy!?:rolleyes: Since you have hiked "around the world", you might ask your pastor which "Camino" he is referring to:cool:? All Caminos lead to Santiago (and Rome, eventually Jerusalem), where each one has its pros and cons. The "Cammino Francigena" to Rome might be a cup of tea ?!:)

"Is this an old peoples walk ?"

What an extraordinarily stupid and risible question.

And even if it was, and it isn't, who cares what a couple of know-it-alls in some hiking shop think?

More people have climbed Everest than have been to either the north or south poles, does that make Everest a walk in the park?

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
OK, it is not as crossing the Himalayas (although it can be tough, especially in winter). If you want a tougher challenge, try, as mentioned above, the Primitivo, or the scenic Piedmont, Pyrenean way. There are many Caminos, not only the French. And it is not mandatory to finish at Compostela.
But I think your pastor has something else in mind. The Camino de Santiago is not just another interesting trekking road. It has been (and to many people still is) a pilgrimage, a spiritual quest. So, it may be a different kind of journey -if you are inclined to join this perspective.

The Camino(s) de Santiago are historic pilgrimage walking routes, unlike various wilderness hiking trails, like the Appalachian Trail, John Muir Trail, etc.

Sections of the Appalachian Trail (AT) within walking distance of my home are far more remote and difficult than any part of the Camino Frances I walked. Those who "through hike" the AT range in age from teens to 60s (even some in 70s).

I have yet to meet a through hiker or hiking shop expert who does not regard the Camino as a serious, worthy walk.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm reminded of a young German pilgrim I met on the first day over the Pyrenees. We only met a short time during a water break as he was much faster than this old man. He was brimming with confidence and zeal about his abilities to cover much ground, very quickly, said he would have no problem clocking 40-60km per day. He was quite the young stud, in the military, a body like an Olympic triathlete. A cautioned him not to push too hard, to enjoy his Camino, smell the occasional grape vine along the way. He nodded politely, then off he galloped.

A few days later I ran into him in a bar in Pamplona, his foot all bandaged up and elevated onto a bar chair. We had a beer together, and he lamented that his Camino was done. In addition to the horrific blistering, he'd sustained a serious achilles tendon injury, saying he just pushed himself a bit too hard. I tried to console him best I could, finished my beer, and then off I slowly galloped... to Santiago.

My pastor suggested a Camino to me, knowing that I have done a lot of hiking around the world. After doing some research, I cannot figure out if this is the right option for me. A couple friends at a shop that specializes in hiking laughed when I told them that I was thinking about this and called it "an old peoples walk". Is this something that I should hold off on until I retire ? I like to hike long treks and enjoy nature and interesting sites.

It's not moutaineering if that's your question. No buswacking, ice climbing, rock climbing scrambling, camping or campfire cooking or repelling ............. a few challenging ascents up clear trails (muddy and slippery in the rain though) and one hell of a brutal beating on your lower body from the sheer effort required to walk 800km and a good test of your back and perseverance from carrying a pack if you choose to carry one. I saw more young people with foot/ankle/knee problems because they figured it was "an old peoples walk" and over did it. I suggest you hold off - not untl your retired - but until you have the time in case you need to take more time to do it.

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pilgrims are of all ages. There are some important differences though between a hiking trail and the Camino Francés (with other caminos it is a bit of a different story):

1) Hiking trails are more about detours through wildlife and nature, a camino is more about going from A to B (for example: a camino goes straight through a village or town, a hiking trail might choose a detour on a mountaineous path).
2) A hiking trail is more like a physical challenge, a camino is more like a mental/spirtual experience (and that can be a challenge as well).
3) On hiking trails you don't meet a lot of other people. On the camino you meet hundreds of them. The social aspect (meeting and talking to other pilgims, hearing their stories) is important.
4) On a hiking trail you sometimes carry food in your pack for days and water supply can be difficult. On the camino a pilgrim is surprised if he has to walk more than 8 kms for a bar or a 'fuente'.

I am sure there are people here who disagree with me. I made the differences maybe a bit bigger than they are, just to be clear that it is something else than hiking. But again: this is not about age.

I wonder what you actually mean by " an old people's walk"?
For me, it is a Pilgrimage.
It takes more than 30 days to complete.
When on the Camino, I walk daily approx 20 Kms per day.
I carry my own backpack which weighs a bit over 6 kgs.
I am over 70.
I have completed this " old people's walk" several times.
I have met and still keep in contact with many Pilgrims that I have had the pleasure to meet along the Way, the youngest being 18, many in their 30/40s and some elder.
One of our Forum members has just completed a more than 1.000 km Camino with 4 of her children, ranging from 8 to 13 years!
On this, so called " old people's walk" you will find culture, an immense variety of nature, ancient buildings, mainly churches and monasteries and a certain challenge to complete! Anne

This "old person" skipped the descent down from the Alto del Perdon after "sliding down" into Zubiri. Sticks would have helped in both cases, to be sure, but I certainly felt challenged.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You tell me

WTFB:

I guess you would have to define old for me to answer this question.

2013 statistics for Compostela's:
Under 30 - 28%
30 to 60 - 56%
Over 60 - 15%

Hope this helps in some way.

Ultreya,
Joe

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
"Old people's walk"? How absurd that the outdoor shop snobs you met would make such a comment, especially since they probably really know nothing about the Camino.
It's a walk for everybody. The more the merrier.
Do it. It's interesting. You want physically challenging treks? Join the military and go to Ranger school.
Buen Camino. :cool:

No offense meant... but:

... with a forum name like that, and a question like that... - how come I have images of "trolls" appearing in my mind:rolleyes:

You are only as old or as immature as you feel;) Your pastor probably have suggested a Pilgrimage for a reason. 'Hoping for loads of Karma coming your way:p

Buen Camino:)

nLRuh7M.jpg

I think your pastor is trying to get rid of you. It might be best if you left it a few years. Don't fall for his blarney. There is no shortage of young fresh American meat, we add it to out goat curries. (After a short sharp ritual) You should wait until you are less scrumptious. To be safe, like.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We met lots of people who I assume were younger and lots of people who I assume were older on our Camino last September and it was a perfect mix. We made friends from all over the world and from totally different walks of life. It was a blast and wouldn't want it any other way. We are middle aged (whatever that is) and always had fun with whatever people we were hanging out with on a given night. Truthfully, I never actually asked anyone how old they were.......what does it matter?? I don't base my friendships on a persons age but I bet you will find whatever age of Pilgrims you are searching for on the Camino.

No offense meant... but:

... with a forum name like that, and a question like that... - how come I have images of "trolls" appearing in my mind:rolleyes:

You know, that was my first reaction, too, because a wise person once told me to watch out for first posts like this one, maybe it was falcon. Whether it´s a serious question or not, I think the fact that so many people gave this poster the benefit of the doubt and took the time to respond even-handedly to what is at a minimum an intentionally provocative question speaks volumes to the quality of people on this forum! Buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Of course it's for "Old people"--we are the ones with all of the sins to do penance for. Just imagine the sins of those who have to walk it more than once. Seriously--- think about what they must have done. Go out and have some fun and then come back to walk away your penance.

It would be a mistake to categorize this 'old people's walk' as a hike. It is not a hike in the wilderness. Its not 'roughing' it. Its a pilgrimage route steeped in history, culture, and tradition and its an experience unlike any you have had before.

From my own experience and from what I've observed in several other pilgrims, the Camino possibly has more to do with a change of life rather than time of life. Many people I've met are recently retired, between jobs or relationships etc, which may have given them the time and/or incentive to walk. The Camino could also be a great way to take stock after leaving education, prison, children flying the nest etc.
I guess the sense in which the 'old people's walk' comment was meant was that it's a bit cushier than some treks (you tend to clean yourself in a shower rather than a puddle etc). That's true of the Camino but I'm not sure it's got anything to do with age!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The majority are young, like 100% as there is no age on the Camino just a lot of funny, happy and best of all vino drinkers. Come and enjoy the journey we so called oldies will look after you.....Ah

The last of the winter is passing here in Australia, the sun is out like the Camino knows I am comming.....10 days. My wife has band me from wearing my pack to bed.

So let me get this straight. Walking 780km is "an old peoples walk". I think that your "friends at a shop that specializes in hiking" need so be given some relevant information. What age do they consider to be "old" ?

Your friends could actually give people the wrong impression with what they are saying. None of the Camino routes are a stroll in a park !

If the Camino CALLS you then you need to ignore everyone else and prepare yourself for what is a spiritual journey not just a hike. This quote sums it up for me:

"If your spirit harbours Camino dreams then go". http://www.acaminoperegrino.com/camino-quotes/

My son has carved a magnificent wooden walking staff for me and in Spanish he carved on it "If your heart harbours Camino dreams then go."

Look internal not external for your answer.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So let me get this straight. Walking 780km is "an old peoples walk". I think that your "friends at a shop that specializes in hiking" need so be given some relevant information. What age do they consider to be "old" ?

Your friends could actually give people the wrong impression with what they are saying. None of the Camino routes are a stroll in a park !

If the Camino CALLS you then you need to ignore everyone else and prepare yourself for what is a spiritual journey not just a hike. This quote sums it up for me:

"If your spirit harbours Camino dreams then go". http://www.acaminoperegrino.com/camino-quotes/

My son has carved a magnificent wooden walking staff for me and in Spanish he carved on it "If your heart harbours Camino dreams then go."

Look internal not external for your answer.
Check that you can bring the wooden staff back into the country, it would be a shame to loose it.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Since you've done some research AND talked with your pastor AND joined the forum AND asked the question I assume it's genuine. When I first considered doing the Camino I googled a lot and came across '10 reasons the Camino sucks' or something like that. It almost put me off completely until I realised the person expected more a hike in the wilderness and what he got was a pilgrim's thoroughfare by comparison. I haven't done my Camino yet but I'm doing it as a soul-journey. And because this is my first walk of any kind and it's safe (or as safe as can be) - if that makes it an 'old peoples' walk' so be it; I'll wear the badge! Who knows, maybe I'll advance to the AT?
Maybe your pastor suggested it for a reason. It might be what you need. Or it might not.
Buen Camino - whatever road you take!
Mary Kate

About 15% are over 60, and 28% under thirty, according to the statistics from last year:

Edad de los peregrinos.
Menores de 30 años son 61.114 peregrinos (28,31%); de entre 30 y 60 son 121.305 (56,19%) y mayores de 60 años son 33.461 peregrinos (15,50%).

The majority are young, like 100% as there is no age on the Camino just a lot of funny, happy and best of all vino drinkers. Come and enjoy the journey we so called oldies will look after you.....Ah

Young women might have a different take after being hit on for 33 days by middle aged lotharios, often inebriated, who suddenly forget their age!;)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Wow, reading this thread it seems like this "old peoples" remark sure seems to have hit some nerves here and there :)

How is it possible some get so offended by what somebody you dont know and never will know in a shop you never knew existed, said?

And why cant he/she say this? Why do so many people always want to control, regulate or decide what someone can or cannot say in their eyes. Is it immediately wrong when it's not to your liking?
Maybe the perosn who said this is an ignorant teen with an after school job who knows nothing about anything really. Maybe to him this IS an old peoples walk. So what?
Did you never think when you were young...ughhh, thats for old people (whatever "that" was).

Dont get so upset. Its just an opinion. Nothing more. It may not be yours, but if you cant handle that, thats more your problem then anybody elses.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Personally, as one, I am hoping this IS an "0ld peoples walk"!!
I might, if so, get from SJPdP to SdC!
Despite that flip remark I never did take the original question as much more than a tease.
However
I am not prepared to let people play agent provocateur without some kind of shot being fired across their bows!

I am just 68 years young (sic) and I have only been walking on the Caminos for the past 4 years. I plan to continue to walk one pilgrimage route or another until I die. I have become addicted to the experience, there is no other experience like the Camino where one can reclaim their youth.
I have serious health issues with my right foot but I managed to walk the 775 km on the CF this year and walked the Camino from Porto last year. I have watched many healthier and fitter young people drop out due to tendonitis, blisters and other issues of the heart and mind only weeks after starting in SJPdP or Pamplona. Old people rule, not really.
Anyone who commits to walking the Camino is a hero, whether they finish the walk in Santiago or not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back