• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just returned from Camino Frances!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi
I am starting the camino Frances on Sept 1st are the alburgues still crowded and how will the weather be ???
I am obviously worrying too much ; but few tips
Will be much appreciated. Ash
Ash, according to my last year's experience: Best time of the year and on the entire way, I only got one fully occupied albergue...easily to replace by another. Don't worry, be happy. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello peregrinos!

I just returned from Camino Frances! It was soooo fantastic! My mind is still there! If you wanna recommend/help with something, just ask me..

I have to go again asap!:)

Buen Camino!

Jan

Congrats Jan,
Be careful though, if you keep looking at these forum pages you'll soon be planning your next one. I only started looking at the forum again to see if anything new was happening on the Camino and now I'm planning my next one two years earlier than I'd promised myself. The forum is as addictive as the camino itself.

Hello peregrinos!

I just returned from Camino Frances! It was soooo fantastic! My mind is still there! If you wanna recommend/help with something, just ask me..

Buen Camino!

Jan
Hello Jan,
Welcome back.. I plan to go at the end of September from st. Jean.,
This will be my first time.
Did you carry a lot of things you found you didn't really need?
Did you have room to sleep wherever you stopped?
What kind of shoes did you ware ?

Thank you for helping/ sharing!!

T

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tamar...you have opened the flood gates by asking those questions. Stand by for incoming.

Well done Jan, the Camino will be with you always and you can always go back. Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It's just great isn't it? So nice to see the enthusiasm. Well done Jan, a true achievement, just wonderful.

Hi

I am starting the camino Frances on Sept 1st are the alburgues still crowded and how will the weather be ???
Will be much appreciated.

Ash
Hello Ash!

If you are going the whole Camino Frances - don't worry, you can always be in albergue, the cheaper one could be full, but there are a loooot of albergues and aren't so expensive - mostly 5 - 10 euros.. The worst it is last 100km - many people and sometimes is good to reserve some albergue..

I had really good weather - sometimes hot, sometimes cloudy, but in Galicia it was rainy a lot..

Hope I helped a bit..;)

BUEN CAMINO and enjoy your way!

Jan

Any idea where the best flight deals are at the moment?

Where do I fly to for Saint Jean??

I hope to fly out on Tuesday.

And would you recommend not booking a return flight to give myself time??

I'm flying out from England btw

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Jan,
Welcome back.. I plan to go at the end of September from st. Jean.,
This will be my first time.
Did you carry a lot of things you found you didn't really need?
Did you have room to sleep wherever you stopped?
What kind of shoes did you ware ?

Thank you for helping/ sharing!!

T
Thank you!

Well..:)
I think I was well prepared for my journey.. And I used everything what I had.. I didn't need my sleeping pad and pillow, because I thought I will sleep outside sometimes, but shower and bed are good things..:)
I'm sure every max. 15km you can find albergue and in big towns/villages there are a lot of places to stay..
I was wearing low trekking shoes and it is much better than high hiking boots.. I had gore tex shoes - Mammut Tatlow GTX, very good for me..

Hope I helped..:)

Buen Camino!

Jan

Any idea where the best flight deals are at the moment?

I hope to fly out on Tuesday.

And would you recommend not booking a return flight to give myself time??

I traveled to St. Jean by bus only, so I don't have any experiences with flights.. I think you should fly to Bordeaux or Biarritz and then take a train/bus to St. Jean.

You should book your return flight on the way in a big city, because you don't know how long you will walk..

Biarritz is the closest airport in France, then take the train to SJPdP from Bayonne. Pamplona is about the same distance in Spain, then requires a bus or taxi ride to SJPdP.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I traveled to St. Jean by bus only, so I don't have any experiences with flights.. I think you should fly to Bordeaux or Biarritz and then take a train/bus to St. Jean.

You should book your return flight on the way in a big city, because you don't know how long you will walk..

Thank you I appreciate that, and well done on your journey. I can't wait to start mine. I have now booked the flight to Biarritz, Sam

Hello peregrinos!

Buen Camino!

Jan
Congratulations Jan:
We have heard from this forum that the final stages are very crowded. Did you have any problems getting accommodation towards the end? Any particular bottlenecks to avoid?
thanks

Congratulations Jan:
We have heard from this forum that the final stages are very crowded. Did you have any problems getting accommodation towards the end? Any particular bottlenecks to avoid?
thanks
Thank you! :)

Well, in this time from Sarria it was very crowded.. Sometimes we booked albergue, just for sure, you know.. But mostly it was not full.. If you will make your daily stage to 2-3pm, I'm sure it will be ok!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Jan - I did SJPdP -Logroño last Sept and no late August heading to just wondering about the section Logroño to Leon - any suggestions for this particular section?
Will I need my walking poles again?? ( I'm thinking not as less climbing this time??) Boots or hiking shoes ... I see you mention shoes - I was glad of my boots in the first section ... though they were warm I liked the support on the rougher ground ... ? did you encounter much rain in this section?
any albergues you liked or any to avoid? - Many thanks & well done on your camino!

I wore low cut boots that wrapped around my ankles so to prevent twisting injury and to keep peebles out. Hiking poles helped me keep my balance and distribute the weight of my pack. I had no guide to follow. I just followed people all the way to Santiago. I lost my ATM card in Sarria and people I met along the way helped me survive. I paid everyone back when I got home. I was a tourist, not really a pilgrim. I was touched by all the kindness I experienced along The Way.

Last edited:
Well done Jan... We arrive in Biarritz on Friday... Our taxi from there to SJPP is booked for 15.45. We will walk to Hunto from the pilgrims office that night.. then onwards and upwards for 30 days.. So excited after reading this thread...Cant wait.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Jan - I did SJPdP -Logroño last Sept and no late August heading to just wondering about the section Logroño to Leon - any suggestions for this particular section?
Will I need my walking poles again?? ( I'm thinking not as less climbing this time??) Boots or hiking shoes ... I see you mention shoes - I was glad of my boots in the first section ... though they were warm I liked the support on the rougher ground ... ? did you encounter much rain in this section?
any albergues you liked or any to avoid? - Many thanks & well done on your camino!
Hello!

Well, there are not mountains like Pyrenees (just Montanas de Leon - but it is not so high) and I think for this part are better low trekking shoes, because there are a loooot of fields and you are go on straight way (mostly).. I don't know walking poles, I had a stick and it was good..:) The weather was hot in July there and I think in this time is the same..
I have never met any bad albergue on the way, sometimes it is very simple, but clean and ok.

BUEN CAMINO! ;)

Jan

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Well done Jan... We arrive in Biarritz on Friday... Our taxi from there to SJPP is booked for 15.45. We will walk to Hunto from the pilgrims office that night.. then onwards and upwards for 30 days.. So excited after reading this thread...Cant wait.
Great! That's incredible feeling to be on the way! Enjoy every single moment there!

BUEN CAMINO! ;)

Jan

Hello peregrinos!

Buen Camino!

Jan
Lovely to read your enthusiastic post. I plan to go next year or 2016. Can you tell me if much of the journey involves walking beside busy or moderately busy roads? I don't mind some of that but would not like to walk a lot of the way beside traffic. Thanks for your experienced reflection on this.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lovely to read your enthusiastic post. I plan to go next year or 2016. Can you tell me if much of the journey involves walking beside busy or moderately busy roads? I don't mind some of that but would not like to walk a lot of the way beside traffic. Thanks for your experienced reflection on this.
Hello!

Well, some ways are on the quite busy roads, but not much and there are alternative ways - not beside roads.. But I'm sure that when you will be on the Camino, so walk along the roads you will not mind, because everything is great there!

BUEN CAMINO! ;)

Jan

Congratulations Jan! Don't be surprised when you find yourself slipping references to the Camino into nearly all your conversations from now on, as in " My, what a sunny day. Kind of reminds me of the day I arrived in Pamplona."or"This is really good wine. It tastes just like the wine that I had with pilgrim meals on the Camino." See it as a good thing. Rarely in our lives do we get to experience something as profound and life changing as the Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello!

Well, some ways are on the quite busy roads, but not much and there are alternative ways - not beside roads.. But I'm sure that when you will be on the Camino, so walk along the roads you will not mind, because everything is great there!

BUEN CAMINO! ;)

Jan
Thank you Jan . I look forward to the experience.

Hi

Will be much appreciated.

Ash
Just go leave the worries as you take each step, you will be fine.

Thank you!

Well..:)
I think I was well prepared for my journey.. And I used everything what I had.. I didn't need my sleeping pad and pillow, because I thought I will sleep outside sometimes, but shower and bed are good things..:)
I'm sure every max. 15km you can find albergue and in big towns/villages there are a lot of places to stay..
I was wearing low trekking shoes and it is much better than high hiking boots.. I had gore tex shoes - Mammut Tatlow GTX, very good for me..

Hope I helped..:)

Buen Camino!

Jan
Thank you jan

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back