• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

La Voie de la Nive

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Just wondering if this route is marked in both directions.
If it is, it might be easier for us to walk from Pamplona to Saint Jean, and then follow this route to Bayonne and then do the Baztan in the right direction (instead of Pamplona, Bayonne, SJPdP, Pamplona). Every day a new thought!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Rachel, In my limited experience, the French GRs always seem to be well marked in both directions. But I don't know about the Voie de la Nive.

But one thing I will say is that being able to walk the Baztan in the forward direction in exchange for walking the Frances "backwards" from Pamplona would be a huge gain in my opinion. The Baztan has next to no pilgrims on it, so walking forwards will likely be somewhat of a challenge, much less backwards. I know you've spent lots of time with google maps to figure it out, but walking in the direction of the arrows would undoubtedly be a lot more fun. And walking backwards on the Frances should be no problem at all, just keep walking towards the crowds coming towards you! So if I had to choose which one to walk forwards and which one to walk backwards, its a no contest decision IMO. But the missing link is the Voie de la Nive.

You will figure this out! Buen camino, Laurie

Hola Kiwimama,

According to this site, it's marked in both directions:
http://www.xacobeo.fr/ZE1.11.Aqu.Nive.htm
Now, if you look at each stage, at the end of the description there are very detailed maps of the stage. Using those maps, you could easily walk SJPDP-Bayonne.
I am in contact with the group responsible for the marking of that route and I should get a definite answer soon.
Cheers for now.
Jean-Marc

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
WOW Jean-Marc, those are excellent maps - I'll copy the route onto the paper map I have and I won't have any chance of getting lost! Makes the decision a no-brainer. Off to meet the crowds!

Kiwimama,

Looking further into the referenced Internet site, at the bottom of the page, click on ''V.Nive services'' and you will get the list of accommodations. At the bottom of the accommodation page click on ''V.Nive 2'' and you will get the stages for the direction SJPD-Bayonne. On each of the direction page you click on the first two PDF references (same line) and you will have more maps with different info such as elevation, somewhat similar to the info available on Mundicamino for other caminos.
You may have done that already, but just in case the French is giving some difficulties.
Enjoy,
Jean-Marc

This is a much better plan, IMO. I always thought that walking the Baztan backwards was going to be dicey. This is a great idea, Rachel, its advantages are that you start in Pamplona, which is easy to get to, you then get to walk over the Pyrenees, and then you get to walk the Baztan. Wow, I think it's something to consider. Do you have any idea what the total kms are from Pamplona to St. Jean to Bayonne to Pamplona? I'm tempted! Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Laurie,
You're going to have to do this at some stage! I've had a look on googlemaps and walking from Pamplona to SJPdP looks dead simple. Those instructions for the Voie de la Nive are crystal clear, and the maps superb. I have a surge of enthusiasm now rather than a niggling concern.

Kiwimama,

I've received confirmation that the way is well marked in both directions.
Information sheet available at the Pilgrim Welcome Centre, 39 de la Citadelle, SJPD.
Cheers,
Jean-Marc

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for all your help Jean-Marc. I'll be sure to pick up an info sheet, but am also spending today copying the route from the maps you linked to onto my paper copy. 199 days to go.

Hi there,

I realize your query is a bit old, but I just walked the Voie de la Nive and can confirm the waymarks go in both directions. In fact, the waymarks seemed much better going towards Bayonne, to the point that I often navigated by looking backward, counting on those markings to appear when the southbound ones didn't.

I should note that the route is almost exclusively on asphalt--I'd guess about 95% of the time. It's quite rural, with occasional small towns and villages, but nothing of significant size. While I didn't enjoy the walk a great deal, I thought it offered some really nice glimpses into traditional Basque culture, as the route is largely un-touristed.

Dave

How is the elevation change on the three stages listed from Bayonne to SJPdP?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have been looking at this way, too; it is in my agenda.
There are very detailed maps here Look at "Etapes" . Very nice pictures, too.
Don't know about elevation charts, but Bayonne is at sea level, and SJPP is around 200 m. So, it is a climb (especially, it seems, the two last stages) but doable.
Most of the way is in Google maps.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back