• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Porto by the coast, then...???

amancio

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Arag, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno, LePuy
Hi!

I might have a chance to go to Porto in September, and I am trying to document myself, but threads to get confusing and topics change after a while and I cannot find the information I need. Any help will be more than welcome

1) Where in Porto do I need to start walking if I want to follow the coast route to Vilar do Conde via Matosinhos? Is it waymarked in some way?
2) What is the approximate distance between Porto and Vilar do Conde? 30? 40 km?
3) Once in Vilar do Conde, is it easy to go back to the inland route? Is the way marked?
4) What would be the distance between Vilar do Conde and Barcelos?

Any maps or web sites you might recommend?

Gracias!!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Take the metro from Porto to metrostop Mercado in Matosinhos , walk over the bridge and the route is well waymarked to Vila do Conde. You'll wakealongside the Atlantic Ocean.
From Porto Sé it is aprox.30 km to Vila do Conde,by taking the metro you cut off 10 kms of that distance
In Vila do Conde is a bridge. Over the bridge to the right the waymarking is direction inland to São Pedro de Rates.
Buy John Brierleys guide camino Portuges I should suggest. All maps of the complete caminho plus side information and places to sleep

Bom caminho

Last edited:
That is great information, Albertinho, thanks thanks a lot!!! How far would it be from Vila do Conde to San Pedro de Rates? 20 km or so?

Thanks so much for the detailed information, I feel a lot more confident about this route now.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi I had all the same questions and bought John Brierley guide, pretty much details the who walk from Porto.

By the way nearly everyone seems to say NOT to walk from porto but to get the metro out to Maia or matosinhos

That is great information, Albertinho, thanks thanks a lot!!! How far would it be from Vila do Conde to San Pedro de Rates? 20 km or so?

Thanks so much for the detailed information, I feel a lot more confident about this route now.
¡ Encantado !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

From Vila do Conde to São Pedro de Rates are 15 kms a nice albergue and the best stamp on your credential of the entire Caminho Portuges, bi coloured.
From there it is about 18 kms to Barcelos and another 15 to Casa da Fernanda which is the best address to sleep between Porto and Santiago. Do'nt miss it
From Fernanda is another 14 to Ponte de Lima.

Hi I had all the same questions and bought John Brierley guide, pretty much details the who walk from Porto.

By the way nearly everyone seems to say NOT to walk from porto but to get the metro out to Maia or matosinhos
The walk out of Porto is superb if.. You walk from the Sé cathedral to the Douro river and follow this to the ocean and from there you follow the boardwalk along the ocean to Matosinhos. From there you follow the ocean to Vila do Conde
From Sé to Matosinhos is 10 kms. From Matosinhos to Vila do Conde 22 kms.
As mentioned in Brierley's guide as the Matosinhos detour.

The walk to Vilarinho and Maia is not advisable because it is a very busy urban area with a complicated and dangerous (for walkers) infrastructure. I did not walk that part (walked the coastal detour from Porto to Matosinhos and on) but drove it with my car and caravan. Special style of driving the Portugese do.they tried to merge in between my car and my hooked on caravan ! :)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The walk out of Porto is superb if.. You walk from the Sé cathedral to the Douro river and follow this to the ocean and from there you follow the boardwalk along the ocean to Matosinhos. From there you follow the ocean to Vila do Conde
From Sé to Matosinhos is 10 kms. From Matosinhos to Vila do Conde 20kms
As mentioned in Brierley's guide as the Matosinhos detour.

The walk to Vilarinho and Maia is not advisable because it is a very busy urban area with a complicated and dangerous (for walkers) infrastructure. I did not walk that part (walked the coastal detour from Porto to Matosinhos and on) but drove it with my car and caravan. Special style of driving the Portugese do.they tried to merge in between my car and my hooked on caravan ! :)
image.jpg

I must be the only one who says yes please do walk out of Porto. Get your first stamp in the Se Cathedral and walk down to the river, follow the river to the Atlantic Ocean. A very convenient way to start the Camino Portugues.

The coastal Camino is solitary and beautiful. You can follow the coast all the way to Caminha ( 4-5 days) and take a taxi boat over to Spain or stay on the Portugues side and walk to Valenca.

Last edited:
I must be the only one who says yes please do walk out if Porto. Get your first stamp in the Se Cathedral and walk down to the river, follow the river to the Atlantic Ocean. A very convenient way to start the Camino Portugues.

There is even an old tramway "electrico" riding on the road heading the Atlantic. Ticket is +/- 5€
Line 1
Another original alternative.
Here is a map
http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/pt/porto/porto-tram.htm

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I must be the only one who says yes please do walk out if Porto. Get your first stamp in the Se Cathedral and walk down to the river, follow the river to the Atlantic Ocean. A very convenient way to start the Camino Portugues.

The coastal Camino is solitary and beautiful. You can follow the coast all the way to Caminha ( 4-5 days) and take a taxi boat over to Spain or stay on the Portugues side and walk to Valenca.
After finishing the caminho Portuges last year, we went back to Porto for a little rest before flying back home and we walked from Porto Sé to Matosinhos where our hostal was. so we can talk about the experience of walking that particulary part and this was great so I agree with you Annie that anybody should start in Porto.

I think I might try this, along the coast. Just check google maps using the little yellow figure to walk virtually along the coast and it looks nice.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi!

1) Where in Porto do I need to start walking if I want to follow the coast route to Vilar do Conde via Matosinhos? Is it waymarked in some way?
2) What is the approximate distance between Porto and Vilar do Conde? 30? 40 km?
3) Once in Vilar do Conde, is it easy to go back to the inland route? Is the way marked?
4) What would be the distance between Vilar do Conde and Barcelos?

Hello,

start walking at the cathedral, there is no need to take the tram. walk down to the river and follow it (the river always on your left side). After arriving at the coast, there will allways be the sea on your left side. No way to get lost.
For people walking the costal route there is the option to stay at the Camping Orbitur Angeiras in Lavra (approx 23 Km from Porto), they have small cottages there, where you can spent the night. They have a special offer for pilgrims. Just send them an email for further informations. (infoangeiras@orbitur.pt)

Porto --> Vila do Conde approx. 34 Km

The Route from Vila do Conde to Rates is very well marked

Vila do Conde --> Barcelos approx. 28 KM

Thanks so much EVERYBODY for all this very valuable information, I just hope I do get a chance to actually use it, still do not know whether I will be able to make it in 10 days' time... That camping in Angeiras sounds like a great idea so that I can start from the cathedral to Angeiras, then onto San Pedro the following day, it is great!

I keep my fingers crossed...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If I did it again I would walk all the way up the coast. I found the walk from Villa do Conde to Rates a bit of a slog and a fair bit of road walking and through the industrial area outside Villa.
Very hard to get lost going to Villa as you keep the coast on your left:) The Brierley guide came through again of course and even suggested which stairway to take to get off the beach near Villa:)

I got the Metro to Matsinhos and walked to Villa along the fantastic coast route. Admittedly the weather was perfect but of course a mild coastal head wind probably took a little bit of extra energy. If the head wind was blowing a gale off the ocean this would be an unpleasant walk - something to take note of.
We left at 12.30, a bit late as I had driven back from the Duoro Valley in the morning. (Well worth a detour if you have the time! Lovely wineries:) The train leaves from Porto to Pinhao which is a nice little place.

I had already taken the tram from central Porto to the river mouth earlier in the week as I spent about a week in and around Porto and the Duoro Valley, but this may be a good way to get to the coast/river mouth if you wanted to start the Camino from Porto rather than the Metro to Matsinhos...but would add the extra kms of course. (Save an hour and a half at least by taking the tourist tram).

Great to have found this information about walking the coastal camino. We plan to walk from Porto to Baiona over a five day period from Oct. 4th. Any update on the ferry from Caminha to AGuarda? Will be following up this forum over the next few weeks...thanks to you all for your helpful contributions..gives us an idea what to expect as we were finding it difficult to get information on the coastal route.

Tessbarrett, I have heard that in Caminha, if the ferry is not available, you will have no problem to find you help cross the river with their boats for 5 euro or so. A different matter would be if you were trying by car, because a boat cannot hold a car, but there are plenty of boats and people available/willing to take you to the other bank of Minho (do not rule out you might get wet feet/legs when getting on and off the boat). Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tessbarrett, I have heard that in Caminha, if the ferry is not available, you will have no problem to find you help cross the river with their boats for 5 euro or so. A different matter would be if you were trying by car, because a boat cannot hold a car, but there are plenty of boats and people available/willing to take you to the other bank of Minho (do not rule out you might get wet feet/legs when getting on and off the boat). Buen camino!
If by car as I did last May you drive from Caminha to Vila Nova de Cerveiro where is a bridge over the river Minho into Spain. A 26 km detour to get from Caminha to a Guarda. I saw some peregrinos who walked this detour.

Hi!

We are going to cycle from Lisboa to Santiago de Compostela. We have planned to go from Porto to Barselos but now I see that there is one more way – the beach way. Is it possible to go from Porto to Vila do Conde by bikes or it is mostly sands?

Thank you!

Hi!

We are going to cycle from Lisboa to Santiago de Compostela. We have planned to go from Porto to Barselos but now I see that there is one more way – the beach way. Is it possible to go from Porto to Vila do Conde by bikes or it is mostly sands?

Thank you!
No there is a tarmac road along the coast. Sometimes is a litte detour a bit of the beachside.at a certain time you have to follow the road because it turns off from the coast.the best is to have a look on Google maps or if you have an ipad loop on "maps". You can see it clearly. I followed the route a minute ago and it memorised our walk again when we where there. You can bike on the wooden boardwalk but it is not allways appreciated by walkers.
Mind Portugese drivers are a bit funny. We walked and always wore fluorescent safety vests when walking alongside roads . Better for your health .no need to meet St.James before you reach Santiago as you know what I mean.

From Porto there isa road following the Douro river. I can't remember there was a special part for bikers, otherwise you should drive on the sidewalk. As soon as you see the ocean, follow this keeping it at your left side to Matosinhos. It is a wide boulevard where I noticed many bikers biking.

Beyond Vila do Conde you can follow the coast as far as Vigo in Spain if you like or head for São Pedro de Rates and Barcelos on the central route. There is one challenge between Ponte de Lima and Rubiaës ,a 500 meter high mountain with an off road track. I do not know how fellow bikers coped with that part. maybe you read back on the forum for a while. We met bikers on the central route so some way it must be doable.
Bom caminho

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you very much for the information!! The heavy traffic from Porto is one of the reasons I thought it might be better to try the coastal way. :O) Will check it on Google maps too.

Bom caminho!

The cycle down the banks of Douro must be gorgeous, there is not a lot of traffic and the views are great. Once on the coast, just be prepared to face lots of traffic until you leave Matosinhos behind, but it should be feasible on tarmac, no problem

The cycle down the banks of Douro must be gorgeous, there is not a lot of traffic and the views are great. Once on the coast, just be prepared to face lots of traffic until you leave Matosinhos behind, but it should be feasible on tarmac, no problem

Thank you! I have checked the google maps and I think we will cycle the beach way till Spanish border and after that via Valenca to Tui. Thank you once again and happy holidays!! :O)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you! I have checked the google maps and I think we will cycle the beach way till Spanish border and after that via Valenca to Tui. Thank you once again and happy holidays!! :O)

@SilviaT you can bike to Caminha, Portugal and cross the rive Minho by taxi boat, ferry and continue biking to A Guarda Oia Baiona Vigo and Redodela. Less traffic!
You can also cross the river in Cerveira (a bridge) between Portugal and Spain.

Last edited:
Hi Amancio. I am walking the same route as you but in May, only 4 weeks to go 9 May, when i return i will give you a full account of my trip. Suggest you get some training in before you leave. Buen Camino amigo.

Thank you Annie and Albertinho!! We will consider this possibility too. I can't wait to start our Camino on 5 May.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The ferry between Caminha and A Guarda is sailing again since last friday after stopping for almost a year so there will be a straight way from Porto to Vigo/Redondela along the coast.

But no service on Mondays I believe ?

Olá Albertinho, Just drawing my conclusions from last year's Timetable http://www.cm-caminha.pt/ver.php?cod=1E0A. I feel sure somewhere on O'Luis do Freixo's information it also confirms inativo Segunda-feira (but can't lay my finger on it at the moment). Whatever, will check current status/Timetable when I get to Oficina do Turismo Porto, Esposende or Viana do Castelo or Telephone the Ferry, and will adjust schedule accordingly. Is it critical? Well, in spite of wishing to avoid being confined by too rigid a schedule, leaving Matosinhos on Thursday morning I'm planning/hoping to get to Viana do Castelo Saturday evening. In which case, if the ferry is inativo Mondays I may well 'let the Train take the strain' and then walk beyond A Guarda for the Sunday stop. On the other hand I could walk/take the last ferry and overnight at A Guarda. I'll follow my old Doctor's diagnostic tool and 'see how it goes' !

Take the metro from Porto to metrostop Mercado in Matosinhos , walk over the bridge and the route is well waymarked to Vila do Conde. You'll wakealongside the Atlantic Ocean.
From Porto Sé it is aprox.30 km to Vila do Conde,by taking the metro you cut down 10 kms of that distance
In Vila do Conde is a bridge. Over the bridge to the right the waymarking is direction inland to São Pedro de Rates.
Buy John Brierleys guide camino Portuges I should suggest. All maps of the complete caminho plus side information and places to sleep

Bom caminho
Hi Albertinho,

I must be missing pages in the Brierly Guide to the CP. The map pages outline the coastal route quite well but the written information for the coastal route only provides for the stage from Matosinhos (day 1 of coastal route). I have also your Google earth maps of the coastal route.
My Brierly is the 2015 edition English Language. Do you have a version that describes the routes and provides resource information?

Bon Caminho
Jim

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola a todos,

I have been in Caminha twice and the ferry has been out of function both times.
May 2014 I walked to Valenca and Tui.
September 2014 we crossed the river with Captain Mario in his little boat _ what an experience. Both times I completed my Camino in Sdc.

September 2014 I was walking on my own but met a Corean and an Italian pilgrim in Viana do Castelo in the albergue and we decided to cross the river together later the same afternoon. We did not call Captain Mario ahead but decided to walk to the beach where we were supposed to find him. And we found him by a chance :)

Crossing the river took 5 minutes.
It was 4 pm and with the time difference we were on the Spanish terrain at 5.10 pm.

Then we walked to A Guarda along the board walks and it took more than an hour. I would say at least 5 maybe 6 km of wonderful walking along the gorgeous Atlantic Ocean.

The photo shows you where we crossed the river.

There are several other options for you to continue from Caminha but Caminha is absolutely worth a visit. An albergue with full kitchen if you want to cook. Or excellent sea food in the restaurants. I stayed in the albergue in May 2014. We were 5 pilgrims - 3 of us on our way to SDC and 2 on their way to south.

I would say - let the camino show you the way.
Do not plan TOO much.
Planning is fun.
But you do not have to have knowledge of all the small detailes.
Have good maps so you do not get lost.

Buen camino.
annie

~~wait and see what the camino has for you and the camino will take care of you~~
~~ask not and you will receive~~

:)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-04-07 06.27.32.png
    Screenshot 2015-04-07 06.27.32.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Hi Amancio. I am walking the same route as you but in May, only 4 weeks to go 9 May, when i return i will give you a full account of my trip. Suggest you get some training in before you leave. Buen Camino amigo.
Hola Escocés errante!!! I did this camino last september, you have good reasons to be looking forward to it, indeed! The first few days, you will find quite a lot of cobblestones, they can be rough on your feet, beware to act before blisters do happen, and you will enjoy a great great country.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola Escocés errante!!! I did this camino last september, you have good reasons to be looking forward to it, indeed! The first few days, you will find quite a lot of cobblestones, they can be rough on your feet, beware to act before blisters do happen, and you will enjoy a great great country.
Hola Amancio - good spot with Escocés :) the clue was in the name!! I will take your advice about the cobblestones - I have started to use surgical spirit on my feet to toughen the soles and will have blister pads but also using sock liners which prevent rubbing. The threads get a bit confusing sometimes I thought that you were walking Porto to SdC this year 2015.
Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
After finishing the caminho Portuges last year, we went back to Porto for a little rest before flying back home and we walked from Porto Sé to Matosinhos where our hostal was. so we can talk about the experience of walking that particulary part and this was great so I agree with you Annie that anybody should start in Porto.

Hello Albertinho,
Do you recall the name of your hostel in Matosinhos and approximately where it is located? Brierley doesn't mention any places to sleep in Matosinhos in his 2015 guide - many cafes but no lodging until Vila do Conde.
Thank you.

If you can't decide which of the choices of route out of Porto (especially all those described by Brierley), here is another suggestion. The Metro can be taken from Trindade station as far as Vila do Conde itself. The trip takes about 45 mins and costs €3.30. This means you could spend an extra day sightseeing in Porto, where there is a lot to see!

Hello! I am doing el caminho de la costa starting at Porto on August 16th 2015. Anyone with the same plans? I speak English, Italian and Spanish.
Let me know at Languagemoves@ yahoo.com.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Albertinho,
Do you recall the name of your hostel in Matosinhos and approximately where it is located? Brierley doesn't mention any places to sleep in Matosinhos in his 2015 guide - many cafes but no lodging until Vila do Conde.
Thank you.

another instance in which brierley is not the 'end all be all' resource and to be used with a good measure of caution (in my experierence).
we walked for e.g. through villa cha, a lovely small village at the coast - and were told by locals that small rooms can be rented (not sure if by the day or a weekly rental)

and since a local prankster had some fun and re-painted some yellow arrows, we walked 'in circles' until we recognized that 'error'. thus the kilometers walked on that day were around 26-27. (from the bus stop end in matasinhos )
it was a fine day and we really loved walking together ... and in the evening the in-room dinner (self catered) with yummy vinho verde ... and then a brief outing for some port wine as desert.
bom caminho -

Hello Albertinho,
Thank you.
We stayed in Hostal pensão Central in Matosinhos.. Look on Tripadvisor or Booking.com
Book it ahead I advice. It is popular. We wanted to book it 3 weeks ago but was full. . By the way there are some more in Matosinhos. Just google " place to sleep in Matosinhos"
Bom caminho

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you can't decide which of the choices of route out of Porto (especially all those described by Brierley), here is another suggestion. The Metro can be taken from Trindade station as far as Vila do Conde itself. The trip takes about 45 mins and costs €3.30. This means you could spend an extra day sightseeing in Porto, where there is a lot to see!
Indeed Margaret. We did do this 3 weeks ago on our last day of our caminho adventure while being back in Porto where we rented a nice appartment in the Lapa area. We bought a ticket for 24 hours at the Trindade metro station ticket office € 7,50 each and travelled to Póvoa de Varzim and Vila do Conde ,being the tourist :)
If you buy the dayticket "late enough" you can use it the next morning as we did to travel to the airport. So it is a moneysaver if you stay longer in Porto and travel from there back home.
One remark. We had our flight back home at 9.15 am and were about 6h.15 at the Lapa metro station (it takes 45 minutes to get on the airport by metro from Lapa which is two stations behind Trindade) All trains passing to f.ex.Póvoa de Varzim were allmost empty. The airport train -going every 20 minutes- was packed. Reason is that Ryanair flies to some popular destinations a.o.Amsterdam and some German ones early in the morning. So people who were on the train were queing up in long lines . Can be busy thus.!

We stayed in Hostal pensão Central in Matosinhos.. Look on Tripadvisor or Booking.com
Book it ahead I advice. It is popular. We wanted to book it 3 weeks ago but was full. . By the way there are some more in Matosinhos. Just google " place to sleep in Matosinhos"
Bom caminho
Thank you, Albertinho. I will follow your advice.

I too stayed at Pensao Central Matosinhos and found it comfortable, the staff pleasant and helpful and convenient: there's a Tram stop at Brita Capelo, the street on which the Pensao is located, and it's a short stroll to the bridge at Mercado for the Camino to Vila do Conde where I stayed at Hospederia Venesclau ( both, and others) booked through booking.com.

€83,-
In Vila do Conde the other day I discovered hostal Bellamar .
Arring at the end of the bridge turn right end directly right again so you walk underneath the bridge. At the other side of the brigde then it is in front of you next to an Opel car dealer's showroom.

In Vila do Conde the other day I discovered hostal Bellamar .
Arring at the end of the bridge turn right end directly right again so you walk underneath the bridge. At the other side of the brigde then it is in front of you next to an Opel car dealer's showroom.

Albertinho,
Thanks for your lead. I booked a night at hostel Bellamar in Vila do Conde using booking.com as suggested by Meldelcamino and others. From there I will walk to Sao Pedro de Rates to join the interior route.

I decided to spend two nights in Porto. On the second day in Porto I will walk down from the cathedral to the river and then along the ocean to Matoshinos. Then I will take the metro from the Mercado stop back to Porto and enjoy the evening in the city. The next morning I' ll hop on the metro back to Mercado and walk from Matoshinos to Vila do Conde and hostal Bellamar. For me, this seems the best of both worlds to enjoy Porto, enjoy the coastal walk out of Porto while breaking up the 32k walk from Porto to Vila do Conde into two bite size pieces (approximately 10k and 22k). Just another option afforded by the convenience of the metro system for others that wish to start their camino in Porto and maximize coastal walking.

Good hiking.

Albertinho,
Thanks for your lead. I booked a night at hostel Bellamar in Vila do Conde using booking.com as suggested by Meldelcamino and others. From there I will walk to Sao Pedro de Rates to join the interior route.

I decided to spend two nights in Porto. On the second day in Porto I will walk down from the cathedral to the river and then along the ocean to Matoshinos. Then I will take the metro from the Mercado stop back to Porto and enjoy the evening in the city. The next morning I' ll hop on the metro back to Mercado and walk from Matoshinos to Vila do Conde and hostal Bellamar. For me, this seems the best of both worlds to enjoy Porto, enjoy the coastal walk out of Porto while breaking up the 32k walk from Porto to Vila do Conde into two bite size pieces (approximately 10k and 22k). Just another option afforded by the convenience of the metro system for others that wish to start their camino in Porto and maximize coastal walking.

Good hiking.
just a tip. if you are in Porto and have half an hour time have a look at the São Bento railwaystation with its beautiful blue and white tile mosaics.a must.
And 5 or 6 minutes on from there is the beautiful antique Lello bookstore. A must too. Buses full of Japanese,Chinese and Korean people come special to see these places.

Of you take the metro ,buy a 24 hour ticket at the ticket sales atTrindade metrostation.
The next morning you then for free can use the ticket to go to Mercado. 7,50€ each we payed. But ask what the single price is. Maybe two single tickets are cheaper.
We used the ticket to travel to Povoa de Varzim one day, later that day to Vila do Conde and back to Porto and next morning used the same tickets to go from our address in Porto to the airport. Fairly economic.
Bom caminho

Last edited:

€83,-
just a tip. if you are in Porto and have half an hour time have a look at the São Bento railwaystation with its beautiful blue and white tile mosaics.a must.
Ansd 5 or 6 minutes on from there is the beautiful antique Lello bookstore. A must too. Buses full of Japanese,Chinese and Korean people come special to see these places.

Of you take the metro ,buy a 24 hour ticket at the ticket sales an Trindade metrostation.
The next morning you then for free can use the ticket to go to Mercado. 7,50€ each we payed. But ask what the single price is. Maby two single tickets are cheaper.
We used the ticket to travel to Povoa de Varzim one day, later that day to Vila do Conde and back to Porto and next morning used the same tickets to go from our address in Porto to the airport. Fairly economic.
Bom caminho
Yes, I had planned to see Sao Bento and the Lello which some call the most beautiful book store in the world. The cost of a single trip 3-zone metro ticket (Trinidade to Mercado) is €1,50 so I will do that each way. Lots to see in Porto for sure. From your posts I sensed you enjoyed your stay.

You can use the following free information with maps etc from Luis Freixo's Blog http://www.caminador.es/?page_id=117
BUT use with care! In several cases the way was obstructed a couple of weeks ago when I walked it - dense undergrowth, flooded by a stream and, in one case, a new car park being built with no diversion around the works!
By the way there's a Tourism Office at the end of the road that leads from Matosinhos to the sea (left ahnd side) - convenient for maps and a pilgrim stamp!

Albertinho,

Good hiking.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is similar to my plan. Day 1 - Fly to Lisbon, train to Porto. Day 2 - Explore Porto and walk river to coast and return via metro. Day 3 - metro to coast and begin pilgrimage. Looking for suggestions for where to stay 2 nights in Porto and must see and eat places. Hoping to walk with minimal plans and about 20k per day.

This is similar to my plan. Day 1 - Fly to Lisbon, train to Porto. Day 2 - Explore Porto and walk river to coast and return via metro. Day 3 - metro to coast and begin pilgrimage. Looking for suggestions for where to stay 2 nights in Porto and must see and eat places. Hoping to walk with minimal plans and about 20k per day.

Why are you catching the train to Porto, why not walk from Lisbon or don't you have the time?

Thanks for your lead. I booked a night at hostel Bellamar in Vila do Conde using booking.com as suggested by Meldelcamino and others.

Just a tip: at Bellamar, breakfast is not served until 8am, but if you tell reception that you want to leave earlier, they will kindly prepare a "to go" breakfast package and bring it to your room the night before :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I stayed for 2 nights at Porto Lounge Hostel and Guesthouse, and HIGHLY recommend it. It's not pilgrim-affiliated, but is one of the cleanest and most comfortable hostels I've ever stayed in (great breakfast, large and well-equipped kitchen, free wifi/computers, garden terrace, outlets in each locker, big DVD collection for guest use, etc). The location is very central, and it's just a few blocks from Sao Bento station. While there, you should check out the famous Livraria Lello (considered one of the most beautiful bookstores in the world and JK Rowling's inspiration for Hogwarts Library), sample the different types of port, and -- if you're a carnivore -- eat a "francesinha" (the city's most famous local dish.)

Hello Gaulsdog,

I reviewed your mile splits from Matoshinos to Vila do Conde and had a question on the total distance. The Brierley guide indicates the distance is about 22 km or 13 miles. Your data indicates 18 miles. Which do you think is correct?

Thank you.
Bit late with my reply now, was actually walking in Portugal when you posted it, My walk is recorded in KM not miles and accurate for the distance that i walked, I did not follow any markers but stayed on as as close to the beach as possible, I have never found these guides to be that accurate and have never used them myself but have met people using them , I have walked all the way from Porto to Vigo practically on the beach and on 2 occasions had to wade across small rivers, best walk I ever done

Just a tip: at Bellamar, breakfast is not served until 8am, but if you tell reception that you want to leave earlier, they will kindly prepare a "to go" breakfast package and bring it to your room the night before :)
Thanks for the tip Kimberly. The breakfast to go is a nice option to know.

€83,-
Hello Matt,
Suggest you consult popular travel guides such as Rick Steves, Lonely Planet, Fodor's, etc. for things to do and places to eat in Porto. These guides are usually available in your local library or bookstore. They don't change much if you happen to come across a 2013 or 2014 edition in your library. Being that Porto is famous for its Port wine there are many places (lodges) on the south bank of the Douro River in Vila Nova de Gaia where you can taste the wines and learn about its history. The Lello & Irmao bookstore is a popular stop already mentioned a few times in this thread.

Good hiking.

So, I will be arriving at Lisbon. Then take a train to Porto, visit Porto one or two nights. Then I found this scheduled that I would like to make it 11 days rather than 13 days. Can someone help me?

1. Oporto-Labruge

2. Labruge-Póvoa de Varzim

3. Póvoa de Varzim-Marinhas

4. Marinhas-Viana do Castelo

5. Viana do Castelo-Caminha

6. Caminha-Mougás

7. Mougás-Ramallosa

8. Ramallosa-Vigo

9. Vigo-Redondela

10. Redondela-Pontevedra

11. Pontevedra-Caldas de Reis

12. Caldas de Reis-Padrón

13. Padrón-Santiago de Compostela

Why not Lisbon? Walked Camino Frances last year. Taking a shorter walk this year so that I have time to do some research on possible hospitalero volunteer sites along Camino Frances. Will rent a car in Santiago and drive to Eibar Valley for a business meeting. Then, I will check out a few albergues for volunteering next year. As for seeing the sites in Porto - I prefer the pilgrim experience over the tourist experience. I will check out a few things for the one day I'm in Porto. As for walking distances, I'm planning to keep the daily K's low - 16 to 24. Thanks for the tip on the Porto Lounge Hostel.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Mind Portugese drivers are a bit funny. We walked and always wore fluorescent safety vests when walking alongside roads . Better for your health .no need to meet St.James before you reach Santiago as you know what I mean.

A laugh out Loud moment. Thanks for that Albertinho.

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back