• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Liner Socks

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances/Portuguese/Ingles/Sanabre/Frances/Fineste
Like many I'm looking into all ways of avoiding blisters. "liner Socks" seem to be a buzz word. Are there actual brands? Also has anyone tried a product called "Body Glide" it is supposed to prevent friction (blisters). Thanks for any advice.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On this forum I've discovered two liner socks camps. Those who believe cotton is best and those who say you need a wicking fabric. Then there are those who like three pairs of socks and not just two. And those who like to use ladies' stockings.

Those who use BodyGlide seem to swear by it. As do Vaseline users. Some people like powders, but they can go globby with sweat.

I have only ever had a blister on the ball of my foot - and that was from my sandals being too tight. Fit seems to be the first most important factor.

I hope you've got lots of time to try out all the alternatives and see what works for you.

The main thing is to treat a hotspot AS SOON AS you feel it. Throw on a plaster or some duct tape immediately (oh,yes, then you will meet the Compeed brigade)

Welcome to a new world :wink:

You know, I used to use liner socks and I brought them this trip. However I've just been wearing a pair of good cushioned smartwool socks and have been quite comfortable. Is this the same as graduating into 'big girl panties???' :lol:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Cotton retains moisture, the primary cause of blisters. Powders like corn starch retain water. Talc repels water, so is a better choice. Liners may affect boot fit, so be sure you don't make your boots too small with socks. Wicking liner socks will tend to put the friction between the sock layers.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Coolmax liner socks and thick backpacker Bridgedale socks.
If' it's a hot day ventilate your feet every stop, consider changing socks at midday if you sweat a lot. At night a good cream will help.
Shoes- one to one and a half size bigger then normal.

Never cotton, socks, horses for courses, if you trained for camino. You will know what suits you

zammy said:
Coolmax liner socks and thick backpacker Bridgedale socks.
If't a hot day ventilate your feet every stop, consider changing socks at midday if you sweat a lot. At night a good cream will help.
Shoes- oen to one and a half size bigger then normal.
This is the combination I used and never had a problem. I also used "Gloves in a Bottle" to rub into my feet before putting socks on. This is available from Boots Chemists or online. If you are from Australia use " EGO SILIC15"

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome to the wonderfully bewildering world of Camino gear / equipment advice. Wait until you discover the "0/1/2 walking stick(s)" and the "boots or shoes" countries ;-) Said all this, here a few tips:

Learn to know your feet and find out what works for you. People with sweaty feet might benefit more from "wicking socks" than those that always have dry feet.

More important than the material is, imho, that the socks are seamless and fit you and your boots / shoes well.

My favorite liner socks are made out of bamboo fabric and a "no name" products.

Creaming your feet regularly keeps the skin soft and helps to prevent blisters. Also don't forget to cut your toe nails to avoid problems there.

Whatever you decide on, the single most important thing is that it works for YOU! The better you care for your feet, the better they will carry you ;-) Buen Camino! SY

On Day 14 of my Camino and writing from Pamplona in Pension Sarasate - highly recommended. Have used pop socks all the way under my walking socks and they have been amazing! Keep trying to tell women (and men!) along the Way that this is the best way to go.

Karin

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Larazet said:
... Keep trying to tell women (and men!) along the Way that this is the best way to go.

It is the best way to go for you, which is great, but not for everybody. People and people's feet / bodies are and react differently - there is NO one size fits all. Buen Camino! SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
williamlittig said:
Like many I'm looking into all ways of avoiding blisters. "liner Socks" seem to be a buzz word. Are there actual brands? ............
Hola William. You do not say where you come from, which may make a difference to the brands of socks available. If you live in the UK then you could try Rohan 'Inner and hot socks'. They are expensive but excellent (for us). Three pairs would be sufficient - one on, one dry(ing) and a spare pair. They actually dry overnight usually but personally I would always carry either 3 or 4 pairs as they weigh so little and keep my feet in good condition.
The link is for the ladies sizes, the men's are exactly the same but come larger. They are effectively 'unisex'.

While on the Camino last Fall, I dealt with blisters and an infected toenail. Compeed, duoderm, did little to help, but then I have major foot issues...hammer toes :)( ). there is not a pair of shoes made that don't hurt. I ended up walking from Astorga to Santiago wearing smart wool socks and Keen Sandals. They were wonderful, even on the steep descent from Cruz de Faro.. Next time I'm going with the strangest looking pair of New Balance shoes, one layer of socks and some sort of lubricant on my feet every day. And of course, my Keen sandals will go with me.

Injinji liners, synthetic next to the foot and natural on the outside. The Injinji liners are light and the toe design helps avoid many toe problems. In case anybody is interested...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Larazet said:
On Day 14 of my Camino and writing from Pamplona in Pension Sarasate - highly recommended. Have used pop socks all the way under my walking socks and they have been amazing! Keep trying to tell women (and men!) along the Way that this is the best way to go.

Karin

Yes, that works for me too. No xpensive liner socks for me... €2 euro for four pop socks in Penneys (an Irish shop also called Primark in UK).

Then light wool socks for outer layer.

But each to their own, and all footsies are different!

I am another one in be coolmax liner + woollen sock camp! But we each find what suits us.

Many of the French use a cream on their feet called (ki)Nok, and I think it must be similar to Body Glide. When I looked it up on the Internet, it seemed like it was basically a formulation of Shea butter. It took the "angst" off the feet on those days when I was subjecting my feet to endless hard tarmac.
Margaret

I'm with JohnMcM: coolmax and bridgedales work for me too :D but everyone to their own!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I used to carry polypropolene socks while hiking. They stink after a couple of days. After a few days they really stink. Rinsing with water does not clean them; it seems to make them stink worse. But they do help reduce friction and wick away sweat. Not for the camino ... not if you plan to stay in Albergues.

On the camino I spread vaseline on my feet. It made a difference. Apparently cold cream works too.

I did not get the opportunity to walk for long, but the cool max liners under Smart Wool socks did not work for me. I got two blisters. I think the problem is my narrow foot. Even the small liner was too big, so I had too much room for slippage. I switched to Injeri toe socks under the Smart Wool socks and no more blisters. I was able to give a pilgrim in Rouncevalles my cool max liners and she was ecstatic. I used Sport Slick on my practice walks at home which helped. Unfortunately, it was removed by TSA from a box containing my trekking poles which I had checked. :cry: I couldn't find another tube in SJPP.

I'm in the Smartwool sock camp. I also used Glide everyday. Careful with that though in the dark...looks like stick deodorant...which BTW will work also. I used liners a few times with success but prefer one pair of socks. Smartwool will dry overnight as well.

When I read through threads like this I feel like I'm in a camp all by myself: I wore Montrail trail running shoes and thin "duo dry" Champion brand ankle socks from Target- *gasp* they're 70% cotton! :lol: No smartwool, no hiking socks, no liners, no boots- just like I was going out for a long walk one day. My feet were happy and dry and I never got a blister or had pain.
My walking partner brought nice hiking socks and boots and was blistered and miserable and his feet were gross.

It's really just about finding what works for YOU. You can get (obviously) many good suggestions and experiences on here, but in the end it's about what works for your specific feet. Everyone's different! Hope you find something great :)

I did not get the opportunity to walk for long, but the cool max liners under Smart Wool socks did not work for me. I got two blisters. I think the problem is my narrow foot. Even the small liner was too big, so I had too much room for slippage. I switched to Injeri toe socks under the Smart Wool socks and no more blisters. I was able to give a pilgrim in Rouncevalles my cool max liners and she was ecstatic. I used Sport Slick on my practice walks at home which helped. Unfortunately, it was removed by TSA from a box containing my trekking poles which I had checked. :cry: I couldn't find another tube in SJPP.

TSA removed sport slick?!?!?! I suppose I shouldn't be surprised any more at anything they do, but that's just goofy and annoying.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I used Sport Slick on my practice walks at home which helped. Unfortunately, it was removed by TSA from a box containing my trekking poles which I had checked. :cry: I couldn't find another tube in SJPP.
Many French people use a product called (Ki) Nok- and it would be easy enough to get a tube of this from a pharmacy in SJPP. I started using it after I got some blisters on hard tarmac and a Frenchman told me about it. I checked later, and basically it seems like it's a formulation of shea butter. It felt lovely- not at all greasy- and rubbed in easily. I became a convert!
Margaret

Like many I'm looking into all ways of avoiding blisters. "liner Socks" seem to be a buzz word. Are there actual brands? Also has anyone tried a product called "Body Glide" it is supposed to prevent friction (blisters). Thanks for any advice.
is uesd rockport socks washed them daily no problems

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Karin
What are pop socks?

Pop socks are like short knee length tights (women wear them under trousers) they are easy to wash, dry quickly and save wear and tear on your feet!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I hear of "hot spots." Could someone tell me what these are? My difficulty seems to be that after some walking my toe goes numb - sort of a pre-cramp. Any help on these?

Isn't it amazing the pilgrims of old managed the Camino in thin leather shoes.

Pax,
Deborah

I hear of "hot spots." Could someone tell me what these are? My difficulty seems to be that after some walking my toe goes numb - sort of a pre-cramp. Any help on these? Deborah
Deborah, when people talk of a 'hot spot' they generally mean that slightly sore feeling you get just before you get a blister. If you can stop then and apply elastoplast of some kind over the reddened area, you can usually avoid getting a blister. However, blisters sometimes come when you are walking in very wet conditions- and at those times it is not always possible to stop and fix anything.

Not sure about your numb feeling. I had numb-feeling feet after I had been walking a few weeks- but they recovered again gradually when I stopped walking. If the numbness is around your toe, could it be that your boots/shoes are slightly too tight?

I know a young person who has just arrived in Santiago and it sounds like his shoes have totally fallen apart. But it sounds like he had a wonderful time!
Margaret

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you, Margaret for your quick response. From some of the posted information I am considering slathering my feet in Vaseline, encasing them in bubble wrap, and then wrapping the whole deal in duct tape. :)
In days past, mums would get their little ones first shoes bronzed. If that service is still around, I just may get my first pair of Camino shoes dipped.

Julie, I too have narrow, thin feet. They are size 8 1/2 or 39 approx. I can not use any unisex socks or liners as they bunch up on me. Do people have any suggestions with this in mind?
Stefania

I have narrow thin feet too and had trouble finding liner socks that fit well. I first tried the Wigwam brand liners and had the bunching up/blister problem too, probably because they were too wide for my foot. I ended up using Fox River x-static liner socks under medium weight Smart Wool socks. The Fox River liners are much narrower than the others I tried. I enjoyed having the padding that the two sock combo provided because I really have no natural padding on my feet. But I was very careful putting them on each time and I was careful when putting the wool sock over them and careful when putting my foot in my shoe too. The only tiny blister I got on the Camino was from one time when I was in a hurry and just shoved my foot in my shoe. But I think I could also have used the nylon knee highs that someone mentioned earlier.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I wore sock liners every single day of my walk....the ones I chose were made of merino wool and I bought them from Kathmandu here in Western Australia.
Having written the above, I do admit to getting blisters very early on in my walk and these I think were because my feet became very wet and soggy during the very muddy and wet walk up the Alto de Perdon (I think that this is correct). After these blisters, which were under my toenails, had healed, I taped my feet every day, plus, I made sure that my feet were absolutely dry each day before putting on my socks and boots...... no more blisters at all.

It really is a matter of finding out what works for you. Some swear by the two sock system, others by taping sensitive points and others Vaseline. I like to wear a mid boot with room to cater for swollen feet/toes. Fortunately I don't usually suffer from blisters so don't need to do anything special to protect my feet. This year, however, my feet were wet for days on end and I used Vaseline as a protective barrier. It worked a treat and, even though my feet were very soft from being wet all day, I remained blister-free.

Julie, I too have narrow, thin feet. They are size 8 1/2 or 39 approx. I can not use any unisex socks or liners as they bunch up on me. Do people have any suggestions with this in mind?
Stefania

If they're unisex they're likely sized in mens sizes. a 39 is much smaller then a mans 8.5 UK or USA

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You know, I used to use liner socks and I brought them this trip. However I've just been wearing a pair of good cushioned smartwool socks and have been quite comfortable. Is this the same as graduating into 'big girl panties???' :lol:
Yes. Ha Ha

My nephew did two tours in Iraq and was used to doing long hikes carrying much more weight than a person would carry on the Camino, so I asked for his recommendation. He swears by two pairs of socks, including FoxRiver liners.

My Injingi liners finaly arrived from Amazon, I have only done a short hike with them so far but found them very comfortable. Mind you they would be a devil to put on in the dark. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Stefania
Hola Stefania. I think that part of your problem may be that your size conversion is not correct. A size 8 1/2 (UK) is a size 9 1/2 (US) and 42 2/3 (EU).
A size 39 (EU is a 6 (UK) or 7 1/2 (US).
Rohan liner socks come in several sizes which might help you. My husband wears the ladies sizing as the mens' are too big. Effectively they are unisex, but they put the smaller ones under ladies and the larger under mens in the listings. There is also a size guide there to help. I use a UK size 6 shoe, but size 7 walking boot and the small size, 4 - 6, Rohan inner and hot sock. Terry also wears the same size sock as the size 6-9 sock wrinkles.

We can also recommend Corrymoor socks, again we wear the UK 4-7 size, the Companion, Sportsman styles for me and Woodlander, Sportsman for Terry.
This means we can wear any combination of the 3, but usually wear a Rohan liner, Sportsman middle and cushion sole outer layer. No wrinkles, no blisters.

I have walked with 2 Rohan and the cushionsole when it was very hot and my boots were tight. Interesting that it is the middle pair of socks which wear out first.

Buen Camino

Injinji ten toes under smart wool medium couching socks and a formula from Germany called gessässe cream every day did the trick for me. Had one blister that never troubled me under my left foot. But I walked in sandals. If I had used my boots more it might have looked different. When I used them I had to put tape on spots I knew would be hot spots and blister.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks everyone for the comments. I will check out these suggestions. I did buy a pair of Injinji coolmax no show socks but am worried they will slip down into my boot or shoes as they stretch out. So I need to try a taller version in that brand as well.
Stefania
Michigan, USA

First 4 Caminos had many blisters,tried everything but now have found my miracle Silic 15 cream(available in Aussie pharmacies) , massaged all over feet after taping my usual blister-prone areas. This year also used Bridgedale liners,the cheaper ones. No problems apart from the usual squashed little toes. Time to buy another pair of Keens shoes for next year.I just wish they would last more than one Camino though. Material at the back of the heels wears away and the treads wear down. Does everyone have this problem?
Heather

Yep, sure have.I always buy boots with Vibram soles,irregardless of the brand .......they work for me.........Having said that,one time I bought a pair of Keens ,absolute rubbish,the soles (what soles?)are stuck on to a poly cell set up, 3 months later they were letting in water...........I'll stick with Vibram..............:)...................Vicrev

€149,-
Time to buy another pair of Keens shoes for next year.I just wish they would last more than one Camino though. Material at the back of the heels wears away and the treads wear down. Does everyone have this problem? Heather
@camino07 - this is one of the tradeoffs in any footwear construction. Keen generally defer to making softer soled footwear which has good grip, is reasonably compressible for foot comfort, and as a result lacks durability. I have used similar lightweight boots on training walks, and they wear out quickly. In contrast, my first pair of Scarpa boots with hard rubber soles that don't ever seem to wear out eventually had to be traded in after eight years because my feet had spread, not because they were worn out. Scarpa's are genuine backpacking boots, where the stiffer soles are required both for load-carrying and foot protection. They are probably overkill for the CF, but I wore them nonetheless.

There are brands like Asolo who use a softer compound Vibram sole than Scarpa for their boots. I wore a pair on St Olav's Way last year, and they look like they will last for a few years yet, but I don't expect them to have the same life as my Scarpa's.

There is nothing much wrong with Keens other than their durability. They make day-hiking gear that isn't designed to be loaded-up too much. That works on the Camino where people keep their loads light, and in those circumstances they are fine. They are just not for serious backpacking with heavy loads.

Regards,

Thanks everyone for the comments. I will check out these suggestions. I did buy a pair of Injinji coolmax no show socks but am worried they will slip down into my boot or shoes as they stretch out. So I need to try a taller version in that brand as well.
Stefania
Michigan, USA
Stefania, Injinji has different kinds of socks for both weight and length. So, in addition to getting a taller version, you might want to think of the kind of weight you'd want to try out (original weight, midweight, lightweight and liner). Buen camino, Hieu

Thanks All! I have just ordered 2 pair of Injinjis. One pair of liners and another pair that are lightweight runners socks which I would also use as liners. I will see what I like when I try them out. Also regarding soles, I just bought a pair of Vasque Mantra 2.0 GTX waterproof hiking shoes. I likes them for feel but also because they have a heavy Vibram sole that does not have a rounded edge like some shoes these days. They are so stable!
Stefania

€83,-
I have tried on many different hiking shoes (don't like my ankles covered) and I always find men's Keens more comfortable. They are waterproof and in 6 Caminos they have never leaked. Rain would get in from running down my trousers but now I wear long legs and have small gaiters that just cover the top of my shoes so that problem was solved.
As you say Doug I guess they are not meant for month long hiking with 10kg backpacks.
Heather

I wore sock liners in July 2013 heatwave from SJPP to Logrono. Not a single blister but mind you, your feet gets warmer. Never shower the day of walking, always the night before so your feet are tough for the morning. Vasaline all way.
I went back in September 2013 Logrono to Monlinaseca - no sock liners, only synthetic socks approved by hiking, camping supply store since I am allergic to wool. They dry faster too.
so total walking days 29 days = 0 blisters. I still think its best that you break into your boots really well, vasaline your feet after shower, and the day of walking. If your feet are hot, change the sock right away. I aired my feet few times when it was sore, no worries it didn't swell up in fact in helped me and got my strength to walk faster.
Buen Camino.

so would double layer socks mean a need for size up footwear ?
to allow for swelling ???

Half size should do. When you fit your boots push your foot forward until your big toe makes contact with the toe of the boot, you should then be able to fit two fingers between your heel and the back of the boot. Thats should be the correct size with room for your feet to expand.

so would double layer socks mean a need for size up footwear ?
to allow for swelling ???
There are two issues here. Wearing thicker socks means that the overall volume of your foot and socks increases slightly, and that will be one reason why properly fitted trekking footwear will be larger than normal street footwear which you wear with relatively thin socks.

The second effect is whether you will suffer from fluid retention in the tissue of the foot (oedema) as you walk. My observation is that most walkers suffer some oedama at their extremities (hands and feet) but it is difficult to predict how much. Good hydration is important for ensuring that excess lymph fluid is removed, and walking with poles can reduce oedema in the hands, which doesn't go to your question:)

The other effect is that your foot will spread out (unless they are tightly constrained) as you increase your walking distances. Again, this is unpredictable, but making sure you have a reasonable amount of space left in which to expand is important when getting boots fitted. There is plenty of advice on that in other threads, but its best to get your boots fitted at a reputable outdoors supplier who takes the time to assess all aspects of fit - toe space, heel slip, etc. In my view, it is impossible to tell how much bigger your footwear will need to be without doing this.

Regards,

Last edited:
Totally agree with @dougfitz - if there is no room at the toe area when you are going downhill your toes will hurt.
Is there a reason why you want to wear 2 pairs of socks? Will you normally walk with two pairs of socks or is it only for Camino? If you are going to be investing in a good pair of hiking boots will you wear the same boots after wards with two socks?
You really to address these questions with a good reputable Camping, Hiking supply store - they will help you. Train with the boots with what you plan to wear so your feet get used to it before you go, including showering the night before your walk, vasaline etc. You also need to walk with your pack as the pack increases the resistance and puts more weight in your feet - room for soreness, blisters etc.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm in the Coolmax liner + Smartwool camp. The thing about cotton socks is that between the half-million sweat glands in a pair of feet, a pint of sweat is produced each day. Cotton socks soak up the sweat and keep it next to your skin ... perfect blister territory. I haven't found the need to put anything on my feet before the liner socks go on, but I'm only in training. Once I am walking every day I may find I'll need to add BodyGlide or something else to the mix.

Totally agree with @dougfitz - if there is no room at the toe area when you are going downhill your toes will hurt.
Is there a reason why you want to wear 2 pairs of socks? Will you normally walk with two pairs of socks or is it only for Camino? If you are going to be investing in a good pair of hiking boots will you wear the same boots after wards with two socks?
You really to address these questions with a good reputable Camping, Hiking supply store - they will help you. Train with the boots with what you plan to wear so your feet get used to it before you go, including showering the night before your walk, vasaline etc. You also need to walk with your pack as the pack increases the resistance and puts more weight in your feet - room for soreness, blisters etc.

sorry think i am being miss understood was meaning liner and outer sock .

other problem is i have uk size 14 feet so looking at a 15 boot for comfort and extra room, don't know anywhere local to me i can walk in and try a pair or two on

prob gonna have to take the mail order route and ? return if fit poor

We favour Hi-Tec boots which do come in larger sizes. There is a link to stockists, but it doesn't work well on my computer. If it 'flickers' then hit 'stop loading' and then try putting your town/postcode in. Good luck and Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We favour Hi-Tec boots which do come in larger sizes. There is a link to stockists, but it doesn't work well on my computer. If it 'flickers' then hit 'stop loading' and then try putting your town/postcode in. Good luck and Buen Camino
nice one i could get these from walktall for £75.00 but this is more of a saving thanks....quids in

Hola...
Yes, Body Glide is great! I used it each morning on my feet and didn't get any blisters. But I also wore a wool liner sock under my wool socks, as well. Wool is the best. Don't wear synthetic socks or liners as your feet will sweat like crazy and that can cause blisters. My boots were a half-size larger than my regular shoe size. All these things come in to play. Be sure to watch videos on how to tie your boots, also. There are some on YouTube. It's good to know that, especially so you keep your heel in place going down steep hill or mountains. It helps you not lose toe nails, as well. And keep your toe nails clipped! It may not seem important, but it is...and you won't lose them!
Buen Camino!
Bozzie
(Dee Anne from Dallas)

Any suggestions of coolmax-type liner socks for children? I use injinji toe liners for myself, but am having trouble finding anything small enough for the kids.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bodyglide®, For Her™, Footglide®, Chamois Glide® and DermalGlide brand balms.
The following ingredients are uniquely formulated for each product: caprylic/capric triglyceride (plant derived), cetearyl alcohol (plant derived), ozokerite wax, glyceryl dibehenate, tribehenin, glyceryl behenate, stearyl alcohol (plant derived), allantoin (comfrey root derived), tocopherol (antioxidant).
Caprylic Capric Triglycerides are a specific fraction of coconut / palm oil fatty acids resulting in only the more stable, and skin loving, caprylic & capric fatty acids which creates a dry, silky oil form of esters. In skin care applications Caprylic Capric Triglycerides offer several key benefits: they offer a noticeable silkiness in products, they exhibit excellent anti-oxidant properties to extend the natural shelf life, they offer skin nurturing benefits due to the skin loving nature of the specific fatty acid esters, not seen with common Fractionated Coconut Oil, or other carrier oils, and they are especially suited to sensitive skin and oily skin.

The advertising hype adjectives aside, Bodyglide contains a variation on fat, like Crisco, and will provide lubrication to reduce the friction that causes blisters. Anything that does not leave the skin feeling slippery, may need reapplication. I am not sure anyone likes the feel of petrolatum, but it repels water, and reduces friction. It does feel greasy, though. Products like Bag Balm are petrolatum with more hydrogenation. In their storage container they are much more solid than Vaseline. Those who do not like the texture of Vaseline might try http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012HR4NQ/?tag=casaivar02-20

Not to get off the subject of socks, but my uncle walked the AT here in the US so when we were planning our camino, I talked to him about boots, etc. The most important advice he gave me was: Take your boots and socks off every 2-3 hours. Even if you just take them off and put them right back on, it will straighten out any "wrinkles" in your socks. Listened to his advice and had no blisters!!

Buen Camino!!

What

Karin

What are pop socks?

€60,-
Not to get off the subject of socks, but my uncle walked the AT here in the US so when we were planning our camino, I talked to him about boots, etc. The most important advice he gave me was: Take your boots and socks off every 2-3 hours. Even if you just take them off and put them right back on, it will straighten out any "wrinkles" in your socks. Listened to his advice and had no blisters!!

Buen Camino!!

I'm going to try doing that with my sunglasses. I hope by taking them off for a few minutes every 2-3 hours, it will remove the wrinkles around my eyes. Wish me luck! :) Buen Camino!

Hello williamlittig,
I may be too late with this reply, however I would like to reply to try and help you.

I used Coolmax liners with over socks, took my boots and socks off every two hours or so, said hello to my toes for about fifteen minutes and walked over 900 kilometres without a single blister.

Buen (blister free) Camino my friend.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes I used body glide did not have one blister am using it again in Sept.

While on the Camino last Fall, I dealt with blisters and an infected toenail. Compeed, duoderm, did little to help, but then I have major foot issues...hammer toes :)( ). there is not a pair of shoes made that don't hurt. I ended up walking from Astorga to Santiago wearing smart wool socks and Keen Sandals. They were wonderful, even on the steep descent from Cruz de Faro.. Next time I'm going with the strangest looking pair of New Balance shoes, one layer of socks and some sort of lubricant on my feet every day. And of course, my Keen sandals will go with me.
I am using New Balance trail runners this time around and Body glide again.

Hi everyone!I also have a lot of blisters on my feet, especially on heels, I suffer every time when I buy a new pair of shoes. I want to try wearing silk socks because they're soft to skin. Unfortunately I didn't hear about the "Body Glide", only know the jasminesilk brand. Did anybody buy some socks here?

€149,-
I'm sure there are a any number of good solutions.
Like others, I have had good success with Bridgedale Cool Max & Wool Socks and will use again next time.
I think boot/shoe/sandal fit is a big factor along with caring for your feet along the way.
Buen Camino
Colin

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've never heard of the PhD ones before. I use the medium hiking and love them. They do dry slow but otherwise are great IMHO.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.