• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Logical way to pack a back pack

tautari

Firstly, I want to give a big thanks to the forum which I consider to be absolutely amazing and my goto website every day!

This is the first time I've had to ask a question. All of my concerns have been answered by previous posts! And apologies if this is covered somewhere else - I tried to look but couldn't find anything.

So, I start out next Wednesday from Madrid and I've got all my gear ready to go.
And I've learnt that a back pack should be packed with heavy stuff first.

My question is - are there any tips about the actually packing of the backpack - other than heavy stuff first?

I confess - I'm not an efficient or effective bag packer (my mum did it for me when I was young and I should have taken note of how she was doing it!) Someone told me to make sure my rain coat was on top of everything -but any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanking you in advance!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Heavy stuff should go as close to the back and as high up in the pack as possible. This makes the center of gravity higher and easier to manage.

Try to get the weight centered so there is not uneven weight distribution on the shoulders.

Pack it the same way every time ... that way you can find stuff in the dark.

Keep stuff you will use during the day such as raincoat in the pockets or near the top.

If you put something bulky and light weight (I use my Crocs, some use their sleeping bag) first, it serves as a good spacer. The heavier things (toiletries, water, food) next. Ready-access rain/cold gear on top of the main pack. Lunch, guidebook, sunglasses in the lid.

Personally I carry the heavier stuff at the bottom, it makes my pack fit and carry better. Clean socks rolled and stuffed equally into the bottom corners. Trousers rolled and at the bottom. Everything else is also rolled and packed as it fits best. Rolling keeps it tight and less creased. My fleece goes at the top. Poncho in the zipped lid, w-proof trousers and hi-vis vest in one zipped side pouch, toiletries and towel in the other. I don't carry a sleeping bag, but Terry had both in the bottom of his pack, Crocs at the top under his fleece and with a similar arrangement to mine for the rest of his things. The pack's own waterproof cover has a dedicated zipped pouch. Water bottles in the mesh pockets, one each side.
Think 'ease of access' for certain items and as said pack in the same order etc so you do know where things are and the pack is balanced. Easy once you have worked out what suits your particular pack and needs.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are no wrinkle free pilgrims, but to be sort of wrinkle free, i find it best to roll all my clothes up. I also find this very handy when packing.

Separate categories of kit, ie. clothes, toiletries, sandals and sleeping bag travel in sturdy but soft white stuff sacs within the backpack. Thus all is waterproof as well as easier to locate than if 'lost' within the pack. White greatly increases the pack interior visibility and the soft fabric is noiseless.

At the bottom of the backpack one large white sac holds all clothes except the poncho which travels in an exterior pocket. For tidiness this clothes sac always remains within the pack; there is never a messy pile of clothes haphazard on the floor. A similar smaller toiletries sac holds a tiny towel. Within this sac soap, sponge and shampoo are kept together in doubled small plastic bags; after showering these items are replaced into the small dry outer double bag before being put back into the main toiletries bag so the other toiletries stay dry. A large ziplock envelope serves as my 'office' holding diary, pen, accounts list and head lamp. At night it safely holds my glasses. On top of everything is placed my sleeping bag in its own nylon stuff sac plus another soft plastic bag for added protection. With water bottle and cup in a handy side pocket and food in the large back pocket all is neat, compact and quickly ready to go!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I pack according to the order in which I will need things. It also happens to work well for carrying purposes. So sleeping bag and nightclothes (a lightweight nightdress in my case; can't cope with sleeping in day clothes), then my "evening" and any spare clothes, poncho if it doesn't look like rain, sandals, then my toiletries bag, wind jacket, spare socks, and merino cardigan on top. Wet socks pinned to the outside of my pack. I always change my socks during the day, so know I will need those. Merino cardigan goes on when I stop for cafe con leche. Wind jacket and toiletries (first aid) kit easy to get if necessary.
My pack has two front pockets. If I know I will need something while I'm actually walking and wearing my back pack (eg water, food, wallet, camera, poncho) then it goes in a front pocket instead of in the back pack.

Just in case you weren't aware of this before, it's also good to think about your pack straps - for example, before packing anything loosen all of the straps on your pack. Then pack in all your gear. Cinch down the side (compression) straps as much as possible. Then, put on the pack (the non-compression straps will still be loose) and tighten the hip belt so that most of the pack's weight is resting on your hip bones (not your shoulders). Start pulling down on all of the remaining straps to bring the pack into your body as much as possible, while still having the pack remain comfortable and not oppressive (oppressive packs are the worst :) ). You'll get the hang of it with practice - and it's great that you're asking about it, because if you can pack and wear your pack well, you'll save yourself from some preventable injuries. Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!!

Hi tautari. As you can see from responses, everyone finds a way of organising their packs. Comfort matters a lot, and so does organisation. You already know about getting the heavier items closer to your spine. My way of organising is to have colour coded dry bags. I happen to use Exped and they are great. I have a bag for the sleeping bag, one for a change of clothes, one for small items like socks, underwear and gloves. There is one more bag for items I might need quickly e.g. rain jacket, buff, gloves (depends on the weather). Finally, it helps to distribute some weight to the front of the body. Aarn backpacks designed that into their packs. For any other pack people have found various ways of attaching items to the front straps. My camera sat on the left shoulder strap.

When I pack, I put the sleeping bag in the bottom as it fits nicely and I won't need it till tonight. After that the heaviest item goes, closest to my back. In my case it is the CPAP machine in its own drybag. Then all the smaller bags get distributed into the available space, with the most needed items on top. I also have a small wash bag and a tiny first aid kit, plus half a toilet roll in its own plastic bag. The outside pockets soon get filled up with things I might need during the day e.g. UV factor 50 lip salve, sun block (remember slip slop slap!). The flip flops go in the mesh pocket on the back, because those are usually the very first things I need when I take the boots off.

Don't worry, you'll soon find a system that works for you. You'll be able to pack it in virtual darkness, which is all you'll have anyway! Nobody likes a torch shining in their eyes when they are still trying to sleep. One last tip - if you need a torch to pack in the morning, use a red light - that is less annoying to others.

Last edited:

€46,-
Personally I carry the heavier stuff at the bottom, it makes my pack fit and carry better. Clean socks rolled and stuffed equally into the bottom corners. Trousers rolled and at the bottom. Everything else is also rolled and packed as it fits best. Rolling keeps it tight and less creased. My fleece goes at the top. Poncho in the zipped lid, w-proof trousers and hi-vis vest in one zipped side pouch, toiletries and towel in the other. I don't carry a sleeping bag, but Terry had both in the bottom of his pack, Crocs at the top under his fleece and with a similar arrangement to mine for the rest of his things. The pack's own waterproof cover has a dedicated zipped pouch. Water bottles in the mesh pockets, one each side.
Think 'ease of access' for certain items and as said pack in the same order etc so you do know where things are and the pack is balanced. Easy once you have worked out what suits your particular pack and needs.
I was wondering why carrying the heavy stuff at the bottom suits you better? I'm still trying to figure out what's best for me. Is it that your pack is small so the heavy stuff is therefore higher than might be for a larger pack?
Mary Kate

How do I know I'm carrying the pack on my hips? If I tighten the hip belt so that it's snug it rides up around my waist. Is that ok? Or just asking for trouble?
Mary Kate

If I put heavy stuff at the top the pack pulls back off my shoulders, if I pack heavier stuff low it sits straight and firm. To check pack is on your hips slacken off both the shoulder straps and fasten the waist belt so that the pack sits low, but comfortable. Then fasten the chest strap and finally the shoulder straps. I find that once fully adjusted I can undo the buckles and just loosen one shoulder strap to remove the pack. If I remove a layer then the straps need some minor adjustment but it is trial and error.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Have always been told light low, heavy high, but the heavy goes as close to your back as possible so as not to pull you back. Weight should be carried on the hips not the shoulders.

We use zip-lock plastic bags in the rucksack, one for socks and another for underwear, tee shirts, toiletries or medicines etc. Everything is organised and even if you have to empty your bag at least you only have maybe half a dozen bags with everything sorted as opposed to loose clothes everywhere. It also helps with rotation of your clothes and dirty laundry. And most importantly it also serves as added protection to keep your clothes dry in the event of heavy rain.
Buen Camino

If I'm already speaking about "heavy stuff" anywhere...I need to replace my pack.

Almost anything you will carry should be light weight in the first place. More than three (sometimes just two) articles such as non-cotton t-shirts, shorts/zip legged, fleece (night can be cold even in the summer), wind- breaker, poncho, sleeping bag (7-14oz)this is the heaviest individual item I carry and it goes in the bottom. It's important to keep a low center of balance. Water/Band-Aids, etc that I want quick access to are on outside pockets.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
How do I know I'm carrying the pack on my hips? If I tighten the hip belt so that it's snug it rides up around my waist. Is that ok? Or just asking for trouble?
Mary Kate

Hi Mary Kate,
For me, usually it does ride up a little bit when I first put it on, but as I start walking it rests lower. I fasten the hip belt right around my belly button, and then let gravity take over. If it's too tight or uncomfortable for you that way, loosen it up a bit - the main thing is to not have your pack weigh you down at the shoulders. Buen Camino!!
Faith

Hi tautari. As you can see from responses, everyone finds a way of organising their packs. Comfort matters a lot, and so does organisation. You already know about getting the heavier items closer to your spine. My way of organising is to have colour coded dry bags. I happen to use Exped and they are great. I have a bag for the sleeping bag, one for a change of clothes, one for small items like socks, underwear and gloves. There is one more bag for items I might need quickly e.g. rain jacket, buff, gloves (depends on the weather). Finally, it helps to distribute some weight to the front of the body. Aarn backpacks designed that into their packs. For any other pack people have found various ways of attaching items to the front straps. My camera sat on the left shoulder strap.

When I pack, I put the sleeping bag in the bottom as it fits nicely and I won't need it till tonight. After that the heaviest item goes, closest to my back. In my case it is the CPAP machine in its own drybag. Then all the smaller bags get distributed into the available space, with the most needed items on top. I also have a small wash bag and a tiny first aid kit, plus half a toilet roll in its own plastic bag. The outside pockets soon get filled up with things I might need during the day e.g. UV factor 50 lip salve, sun block (remember slip slop slap!). The flip flops go in the mesh pocket on the back, because those are usually the very first things I need when I take the boots off.

Don't worry, you'll soon find a system that works for you. You'll be able to pack it in virtual darkness, which is all you'll have anyway! Nobody likes a torch shining in their eyes when they are still trying to sleep. One last tip - if you need a torch to pack in the morning, use a red light - that is less annoying to others.
I see from your post you carry a CPAP machine. I use one at home each night but never thought about taking it with me along the Camino. Did you use your along the Camino and if so did it disturb others in your sleeping area?

I also use Exped dry sacks in different sizes (each size is a different colour). Brown (XXS-1L) for electrical stuff, Green (XS-3L) for silk bag liner and glass case, Yellow (S-5L) for toiletries/towel/washing stuff (in separate zip locks to keep things dry and one of the zip locks holds my valuables in the shower), Blue (L-13L) for clothes (to big but so what), 2 Black (L-13L) one for soft shell and one for waterproof coat (I keep them separate in case one is wet). The colours have changed since I first bought them, hence the blue is now black. I find the different sizes make for quicker/quieter work. These go into my pack as follows: brown; green,; yellow; black; black. The blue one goes in the internal hydration pocket making it the softest near my back. The black are on the top to be the quickest to get too. The front pocket holds my hat, buff, shopping/daybag (68g folds into nothing), cutlery+corkscrew, collapsible tin cup, tissues and disposable plastic bags (for waste). The side webs hold my water bottles.
At night the green one contains my valuables under the pillow, and I leave the yellow in top of the bag to get to quickly/quietly when people are sleeping last thing at night and in the morning. Once out of the Dorm it is a matter of moments to reorganise to my day configuration.
Well that's my tuppence worth!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We each carry a bag for dirty washing and one of a different colour for clean but maybe still damp washing. Also a thin sheet of plastic to put dirty boots on if in a bar (also useful in hotel rooms) and a half old pack cover each to sit on if the ground is damp. Valuables go in a waist belt type bag and we plastic wrap (think magazine wrapper) our passports so that they don't get sweaty . Virtually weightless. My heaviest item was my spare trousers at 400gms, but I have a lighter spare pair now so I might finish up with the heaviest item nearer the top as it will be my fleece at 400gms. :)

Hi Mary Kate,
For me, usually it does ride up a little bit when I first put it on, but as I start walking it rests lower. I fasten the hip belt right around my belly button, and then let gravity take over. If it's too tight or uncomfortable for you that way, loosen it up a bit - the main thing is to not have your pack weigh you down at the shoulders. Buen Camino!!
Faith
Great, that's helpful.
Mary

I see from your post you carry a CPAP machine. I use one at home each night but never thought about taking it with me along the Camino. Did you use your along the Camino and if so did it disturb others in your sleeping area?

(I'm sorry that we've gone off topic here - I won't mind if a moderator moves it to a more appropriate forum.)

Hi Jabaldo

I bought a lightweight system, the Transcend II with a small battery pack. With all the attachments it weighs 1.3 kg. The machine on its own is 450 g. In answer to your question: I never had a single complaint about noise. In fact, one of my travel companions specifically commented that she was amazed how quiet it is. Several other people said the same when I asked them. The bottom line to me is that I didn't snore, which would certainly have disturbed others, and more importantly that I could walk the Camino despite moderately severe sleep apnoea.
By the way, you can trim some weight off the pack by leaving the battery at home. I only used it 2 nights out of 38, and that was because I wanted to charge my camera instead. However, it gives me peace of mind, because if I ever have to sleep somewhere without an electrical outlet, e.g. on the floor of a sports hall, I'm covered.
Another less obvious benefit of the CPAP is that the soft hum of the engine sends me to sleep and will mask the snoring of others to a degree.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We use zip-lock plastic bags in the rucksack, one for socks and another for underwear, tee shirts, toiletries or medicines etc. Everything is organised and even if you have to empty your bag at least you only have maybe half a dozen bags with everything sorted as opposed to loose clothes everywhere. It also helps with rotation of your clothes and dirty laundry. And most importantly it also serves as added protection to keep your clothes dry in the event of heavy rain.
Buen Camino
I use waterproof stuff bags. Yes, good to keep everything dry.

Nasa, back in the 60's, found that for proper balance heavy items need to go right at the top. This was based on high packs that loom above the shoulders and that way the balance became about right. A high center of balance is much more stable than a low one.
Even now some packs have sleeping bag compartments at the bottom.

What should happen now, with our much shorter packs that only come up to shoulder level I really do not know.

The best way to find out is to load it in various ways and try each one out - one of them will feel 'just right' for you.

Mind you, thinking about it - we don't actually carry anything that is heavy, all items are light - so how can it matter?

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Nasa, back in the 60's, found that for proper balance heavy items need to go right at the top. This was based on high packs that loom above the shoulders and that way the balance became about right. Even now some packs have sleeping bag compartments at the bottom.

What should happen now, with our much shorter packs that only come up to shoulder level I really do not know.

The best way to find out is to load it in various ways and try each one out - one of them will feel 'just right' for you.

Mind you, thinking about it - we don't actually carry anything that is heavy, all items are light - so how can it matter?

Buen Camino!
Your so right. My sleeping bags weighs as much as a pair of pants and 2 t shirts. Then really, what is the heavy bit you put at the bottom. Probably the heaviest thing i pack is my one bag of toilletries, but i dont pack that at the bottom. Putting my bag down (not always gently) several times a day might result in broken deodorant, crushed shampoos, open toothpaste tubes. Dont want that mess in my bag :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
well, you left august 8th, it's now the 22nd... you're officially a pro! you tell us what you've learned about your body/torso length/where to distribute weight/and accessibility habits! :) if you do read this however - wrap your credencial and journal well in plastic bags - even if they're deep in the pack... i'll never forget the look on that woman's face in La Faba when she took out her swollen, sodden and completely illegible journal...

wishing you a meaningful journey

Firstly, I want to give a big thanks to the forum which I consider to be absolutely amazing and my goto website every day!

This is the first time I've had to ask a question. All of my concerns have been answered by previous posts! And apologies if this is covered somewhere else - I tried to look but couldn't find anything.

So, I start out next Wednesday from Madrid and I've got all my gear ready to go.
And I've learnt that a back pack should be packed with heavy stuff first.

My question is - are there any tips about the actually packing of the backpack - other than heavy stuff first?

I confess - I'm not an efficient or effective bag packer (my mum did it for me when I was young and I should have taken note of how she was doing it!) Someone told me to make sure my rain coat was on top of everything -but any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanking you in advance!

Kia Ora, tautari.
I'm definitely not the expert, but learned some things trekking in Aotearoa! that have been very useful. 1) put a big black plastic garbage bag into your pack then fill it with all your gear. You'll always have that waterproof liner, no matter how you cover the outside of your pack for rainy weather. 2) This isn't so much about the packing, but it has helped me many a time. Cover your feet with some vaseline gel before you put your socks on, so you won't get blisters, when your boots/feet get wet. Hope this will be useful. Kia pai to haere. Buen camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Kia Ora, tautari.
I'm definitely not the expert, but learned some things trekking in Aotearoa! that have been very useful. 1) put a big black plastic garbage bag into your pack then fill it with all your gear. You'll always have that waterproof liner, no matter how you cover the outside of your pack for rainy weather. 2) This isn't so much about the packing, but it has helped me many a time. Cover your feet with some vaseline gel before you put your socks on, so you won't get blisters, when your boots/feet get wet. Hope this will be useful. Kia pai to haere. Buen camino.
Kia ora, nga mihi ki a koe!
Thanks very much for the advice! Much appreciated. Does covering your feet with vaseline feel weird? I've read about this and always wanted to ask - since usually I'm a 'dry' feet in socks kinda person.
Tara

Does covering your feet with vaseline feel weird?
It has been so long since the first time I used a foot lubricant, that I really cannot remember if the sensation was weird. As a general rule, though, don't have your first experience at anything occur on the Camino! Test Vaseline right now. Walk with your backpack. Try on your sock and shoe combination. Fill your water supply and drink from it. Do it all before you go on the Camino. It is the wrong place for surprises about anything but the people and the countryside!:):)

It has been so long since the first time I used a foot lubricant, that I really cannot remember if the sensation was weird. As a general rule, though, don't have your first experience at anything occur on the Camino! Test Vaseline right now. Walk with your backpack. Try on your sock and shoe combination. Fill your water supply and drink from it. Do it all before you go on the Camino. It is the wrong place for surprises about anything but the people and the countryside!:):)
Thanks very much for the advice! Much appreciated. Does covering your feet with vaseline feel weird? I've read about this and always wanted to ask - since usually I'm a 'dry' feet in socks kinda person.
Tara

I haven't tried Vaseline but used Nutrogena Norwegian Formula "nourishing foot cream". It works very well and doesn't feel weird at all. I usually use a liner sock plus light hiking sock.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I haven't tried Vaseline but used Nutrogena Norwegian Formula
Ingredients:

Water, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Petrolatum, Cyclomethicone, Panthenol, Dimethicone, Keratin Amino Acids, Menthol, Allantoin, Dilauryl Thiodipropionate, Bisabolol, Tocopheryl Linoleate, Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate, Sodium Sulfate, Stearic Acid, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance

The fourth ingredient is Vaseline. The first three are moisturizers. Blisters come from friction, and much of that friction is from moisture. Be careful about adding moisture in your foot treatment. Petrolatum, talc, and silicone (and related lubricants) do not add moisture, but act as friction reducing lubricants. Know what your are putting on your feet and what you expect from it. A soothing moisturizer in the evening may be beneficial, but starting the day with it could be risky.;)

Ingredients:

Water, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Petrolatum, Cyclomethicone, Panthenol, Dimethicone, Keratin Amino Acids, Menthol, Allantoin, Dilauryl Thiodipropionate, Bisabolol, Tocopheryl Linoleate, Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate, Sodium Sulfate, Stearic Acid, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance

The fourth ingredient is Vaseline. The first three are moisturizers. Blisters come from friction, and much of that friction is from moisture. Be careful about adding moisture in your foot treatment. Petrolatum, talc, and silicone (and related lubricants) do not add moisture, but act as friction reducing lubricants. Know what your are putting on your feet and what you expect from it. A soothing moisturizer in the evening may be beneficial, but starting the day with it could be risky.;)
Hi falcon269
I get what you say about moisture. In my experience this product worked like Vaseline, i.e. mainly as a lubricant but it also acted as an effective barrier cream against external moisture and kept my feet from getting sweaty.

I originally started using it before bedtime and used another foot glide product in the morning. But when that ran out I tried the foot cream and it worked.

Tara
Silica 15 isbetter than vaseline. It is not greasy.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.