• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mark from Pennsylvania

Englishprof302

Time of past OR future Camino
First camino, Frances, September 2014
Greetings! I am set to begin walking on September 24, hoping to finish sometime around October 30-November 1. I have been planning this pilgrimage for the past 15 months or so, and now the reality of the camino is looming just two months hence. With all the reading I've done and the videos I've watched, I sort of feel that I have been on the camino every day for over a year! I'm sure the reality of the thing will dwarf anything I've seen or read. I'm walking because I felt God's call to take a long walk with Him. I have recovered from a lengthy illness; I am alive by what I can only describe as a miracle, so I am primarily walking the camino to listen, pray, and discern what God wants me to do, what new purpose might be for my life.
Anyway, a question or two: I want to see the botafumiero in action. I have read somewhere (perhaps this forum) that it is being swung on Fridays after the evening mass. Is that true? Also, I understand that the botafumiero is swung on holy days like November 1, which is All Saints Day. Is it swung as all masses on those holy days or just once? Thanks for any information.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Botafumeiro
Botafumeiro1.jpg

The Botafumeiro (literally ‘smoke spreader’ in Galician) is one of the most famous and popular symbols of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela. This is a huge censer that swings up the aisles of the Cathedral through a pulley system pulled by eight men named tiraboleiros. It weighs 53kg and measures five feet. It is suspended from a height of 20 metres and can reach a speed of 70 miles per hour.

The Botafumeiro is used for liturgical purposes (in the same way as a priest would normally incense the altar) on the following Feast Days:
  • The Epiphany of the Lord – 6 January
  • Easter Sunday
  • The Ascension of the Lord
  • The Apparition of the Apostle – 23 May
  • Pentecost Sunday
  • The Martyrdom of Saint James – 25 July
  • Assumption of the Blessed Virgin – 15 August
  • All Saints – 1 November
  • Christ the King
  • Immaculate Conception – 8 December
  • Birth of Jesus – 25 December
  • Transfer of the body of the Apostle – 30 December
It currently is scheduled to swing at the 1930 mass on Fridays. It swings at any mass when someone pays for it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It swung the three times I was in the cathedral in June. Seems like it swings most days. I didn't meet anyone who missed it.

I wish you a safe trip. Please keep us posted. I will do the same next year sept to oct about 21 days starting in Burgos. I will follow your updates maybe to see how the weather is at that time. Where to fly to, i am in Florida. I am so exited for you and glad you are well. God bless you on your way. Buen Camino

Greetings! I am set to begin walking on September 24, hoping to finish sometime around October 30-November 1. I have been planning this pilgrimage for the past 15 months or so, and now the reality of the camino is looming just two months hence. With all the reading I've done and the videos I've watched, I sort of feel that I have been on the camino every day for over a year! I'm sure the reality of the thing will dwarf anything I've seen or read. I'm walking because I felt God's call to take a long walk with Him. I have recovered from a lengthy illness; I am alive by what I can only describe as a miracle, so I am primarily walking the camino to listen, pray, and discern what God wants me to do, what new purpose might be for my life.
Anyway, a question or two: I want to see the botafumiero in action. I have read somewhere (perhaps this forum) that it is being swung on Fridays after the evening mass. Is that true? Also, I understand that the botafumiero is swung on holy days like November 1, which is All Saints Day. Is it swung as all masses on those holy days or just once? Thanks for any information.

this is a great question because I would love to see it swung also...I am not walking until next year but am learning as much as I can before that. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We were there on the 29th May after walking from Roncesvalles and much to the disappointment of every body in the packed Cathedral, it did not swing. O well, that means we will have to walk the Camino again next year with the hope of seeing it swing then.
http://tamborinetosantiago.blogspot.com.au/

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.