• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Missing Person, Please Help - now found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joan McAleer

Hello all, I sincerely hope your pilgrimage is going well however I now ask for your help.
A friend of mine has gone missing after going to do do this. If anyone knows anything or has seen him please contact myself or his mother or get him to contact anyone to let his family know he is safe.

Taken from his Mother's facebook message
"Hi guys, this is my son who left home Thursday July 17th to go on the El Camino de Santiago | The Way of St. James in France. We know he arrived safely and we had contact with him up to Sat July 19th. It is now 10 days without knowing he is okay? He is now officially reported as a missing person. Anyone that knows him will know that he always updates his life on Facebook and this trip would have been no different and he would have updated his status everyday. If anyone has any knowledge if his whereabouts or knows anything please contact me. Please share this!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
From the Facebook post- he was on Le Puy and was last seen at Saint-Privat-d'Allier on the 19th. Sending prayers that he will be found safe.

Don't be afraid Joan. You wrote "Anyone that knows him will know that he always updates his life on Facebook and this trip would have been no different and he would have updated his status everyday." but this is the Camino! It is not uncommon, in fact quite common, normal, for pilgrims to 'disappear'.

The pilgrimage is different from anything else that he has ever done, the whole thing sort of 'captures' a person and thoughts of that other world, the world one has left just fades away - one becomes embedded within the experience, so don't be afraid.

Also, he hasn't gone into the wilderness, nor to a war zone - he is in western Europe. Had anything happened to him the emergency services would know and would have been in contact with you.

Don't be afraid - all will be well.

Keep faith Joan, he will contact you when ever he can and any pilgrims who manage to get wifi will soon be looking out for him try to get some peace from everyone's' reassurances. He will be well.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Le Puy route has far less internet/wifi access than the Camino Frances. My family had no word from me for a similar length of time, or even longer. Hopefully he is fine, and will soon make contact. Margaret

Please share on the French forums as well, or if you are a member of the Via Podiensis closed Facebook group.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This reminds me back in 2009 a French pilgrim went missing as well for many days. Turns out he got lost, took a completely different route still thinking he was on the Camino. Took him days to established contact with family.

That said, this is 2014 and wi-fi IS actually quite available, or at a minimum, within an average of 4 hours radius to tap into a possible open range. Praying for a safe return.

Thanks everyone for your prayers and wishes, it has been confirmed he is alive and well he was spotted leaving a hostel and the french embassy has confirmed it was him. Message from his family

"Hi guys,French Embassy has now confirmed that it definitely is the missing pilgrim because he signed the book in the hostel last night but is now on the next leg of the walk oblivious to what's happening at home.There will be someone at the next hostel tonight to let him know to call home.Thanks to each and every one of my friends and your friends for being here for all our family for the past few days."

thanks again everyone

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good news Joan - but he was always well. You really have to let him grow up, to be an adult. This is HIS time away, on Camino, on pilgrimage - he will be wrapped up in his personal experience.

Please don't make him feel guilty when he phones (because he has to) - please don't persuade him to regularly check in - finally allow him to be a man and to be free - that is why he is there - it isn't a holiday it is something else.

so please - keep your fears inside your mind and do not communicate them to him - let him be, let him be a pilgrim.

With best of regards x

While I'm sure his mother was genuinely concerned it's almost ironic. There are those who cherish the solitude so much that even the "expected" contacting home is an obligation which is easily "forgotten".

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I met AJ from the North Coast of Oz when I was in Santiago a week ago and was in total awe of the number of years he has walked all of the Caminos over the entire summer around Europe, everywhere in Spain, France, England and Italy. I said something to an Aussie friend of mine in Biarritz and her comment was simply, "Walkabout." Give this guy a break, I never contacted anyone for the 40 days I walked the Camino this year and when I lived in Africa it would be no communications for over 9 months. Chill!!!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
One of the great aspects of the Camino is it does allow you to disconnect from the daily noise of our lives.

Trying to enjoy this opportunity he has found his name and face plastered all over social media. Give the guy break.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
All's well, that was always well Joan, great to hear your news so let him a pilgrim be.

Thank God, I was really worried, I was checking all day for news. not sure our European friends understand the 'Irish Mammy' , once your little boy always your little boy. I completely understand how Joan was feeling even though I have only daughters, but my mother would be the same about my brothers who are in the forties and fifties. Joan you did the right thing and made sure your son was okay.

Dee

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One of the tyrannies of electronic communication is the expectation it can create. 20 years ago we relied on the post when family were overseas. Our parents heard nothing, sometimes for months on end. The occasional postcard was all they expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back