• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

October Camino Information 2014 - Starting camino walk Sept 29th.

GERARD RYAN

Time of past OR future Camino
fUTURE - Startin in SJPDP Oct 2014
Hi folks..greetings from Co Limerick , Ireland.
Would anyone have any tips of things I should be aware of for an early October camino starting in SJPDP for one weeks walking, Oct Weather, Oct accomodation , is it busy or very quiet in Oct ? any other October info or comments will be most welcome.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oct 11th sounds great but unfortunately I'm doing my walk during the first week of Oct only. Thanks for sharing though and good to know for next year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I started from SJPP on October 3, 2012. Had a couple albergues to myself in those first few days, and a couple were more full. I really liked how many people were on the walk- that is, not much! I never really found myself surrounded by hordes of people, but also saw the same people over those first few days which was really nice. I think it's a perfect time to walk, and it's when I plan on walking again this year!

I started from SJPP on October 3, 2012. Had a couple albergues to myself in those first few days, and a couple were more full. I really liked how many people were on the walk- that is, not much! I never really found myself surrounded by hordes of people, but also saw the same people over those first few days which was really nice. I think it's a perfect time to walk, and it's when I plan on walking again this year!
Thank you vagandou. Great information and that's exactly the week I will be walking. Sept 28th arrival SJPP. Good luck with your next stage and maybe I'll catch up with you in a few years :)

This seems to be the official October 2014 thread where we can get to know each other in advance! I haven't booked flights, but intend to start walking in St. Jean around October 15. I will have retired the week before, and will have all the time in the world to walk. I think I'll allow 7 weeks in Spain. I am 65, reasonably healthy but with the usual creaks and aches, so I'm aiming for 20 km/day, and a mixture of albergues and casas rurales. My previous experience was a walk from Astorga to Santiago in 2012, in November, and I heartily recommend that time of year.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This seems to be the official October 2014 thread where we can get to know each other in advance! I haven't booked flights, but intend to start walking in St. Jean around October 15. I will have retired the week before, and will have all the time in the world to walk. I think I'll allow 7 weeks in Spain. I am 65, reasonably healthy but with the usual creaks and aches, so I'm aiming for 20 km/day, and a mixture of albergues and casas rurales. My previous experience was a walk from Astorga to Santiago in 2012, in November, and I heartily recommend that time of year.
Welcome. I hope you have a fabulous walk. What a wonderful feeling to have to take your time I'm so jealous. I hope this start to your retirement is the start of many more walks for you. Enjoy might run into sometime on the way
Buen camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Great to see these post for October - I'm planning to start in SJPP in the last week of September 2014 (after the Scottish referendum!) and finish at the end of October. Sounds like a great time to do the walk

Great to see these post for October - I'm planning to start in SJPP in the last week of September 2014 (after the Scottish referendum!) and finish at the end of October. Sounds like a great time to do the walk
The Scottish referendum bears watching. I am an American who has lived in the UK and am very curious. I hope it works out for all involved.

C clearly , here's a thread you might find helpful . Athough it's a Sept 14 thread there are folks who will be starting late Sept

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/september-2014-peregrinos.24717/

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Looks like I'll be heading out shortly after you, I've kind of decided to this an a whim a few weeks ago and hoping for the best and trusting that all with be provided. I'm planning to get to Dublin Sept. 28th or 29th, Dublin to Biarritz the 29th or Oct. 1st, and then make my way to SJPP. It sounds like it should be a great time of the year to go and a unique experience.

Would anyone have any tips of things I should be aware of for an early October camino starting in SJPDP for one weeks walking, Oct Weather, Oct accomodation , is it busy or very quiet in Oct ? any other October info or comments will be most welcome.

Hello Gerald
I am hoping to start my Camino Pilgrimage Walk on October 4th with a small group of walkers with the www.caminoexperience "Just get me started". Hoping that a few other Camino walkers will join us. My wife is pretty insistent that I find some hiking buddies/companions that i can tag along with on my first Camino Pilgrimage. I wanted to do the 500 miles if at all possible starting at St. Jean and ending up 33 days later at Santiago de Compostella using the John Brierly guide book. This has been on my Bucket List for the past 3 years and goes back 7 years ago when I read a good Camino book by Joyce Rupp "Walking in a Relaxed Manner"

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That's a great time to go. I left SJPdP on Oct. 8th last year. A good amount of people but not 'crowded' and nice weather...

Looks like I'll be heading out shortly after you, I've kind of decided to this an a whim a few weeks ago and hoping for the best and trusting that all with be provided. I'm planning to get to Dublin Sept. 28th or 29th, Dublin to Biarritz the 29th or Oct. 1st, and then make my way to SJPP. It sounds like it should be a great time of the year to go and a unique experience.
I'm flying out of Dublin Sept 28th to Biaritz and plan to start walking form SJPP on 29th. .. See you on the road maybe. :) So far the weather data I've gathered for Oct looks ideal for fair skinned Irish people and the Auberges should be moderately busy based on previous Oct trends. All I need now is the credential but planning to pick that up in SJPP the evening I arrive, Does anyone have info on the procedure and credential office times in SJPP? Also I'm expecting to be able to do the Napoleon route probably starting at approx 8.30am, planning my first pit stop in Orisson for a quick lunch before making Ronsevalles by mid afternoon.. Is that ambitious timing ?

Last edited:
... All I need now is the credential but planning to pick that up in SJPP the evening I arrive, Does anyone have info on the procedure and credential office times in SJPP? ...

Gerard,

In Saint-Jean the Pilgrim Office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques is at 39 rue de la Citadelle. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the office is generally open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. Simply turn up and they will provide you with a Credential, current weather/trail info as well as on-site lodging assistance if needed.

Bon chemin and Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

I'm flying out of Dublin Sept 28th to Biaritz and plan to start walking form SJPP on 29th. .. See you on the road maybe. :) So far the weather data I've gathered for Oct looks ideal for fair skinned Irish people and the Auberges should be moderately busy based on previous Oct trends. All I need now is the credential but planning to pick that up in SJPP the evening I arrive, Does anyone have info on the procedure and credential office times in SJPP? Also I'm expecting to be able to do the Napoleon route probably starting at approx 8.30am, planning my first pit stop in Orisson for a quick lunch before making Ronsevalles by mid afternoon.. Is that ambitious timing ?
Hello Gerald, thanks for sharing and wishing you some good Irish Luck on your Camino adventure!

Hey Rory, I will start the Camino with my son in Sep 29th, all the way to Oct 29th, from SJPdP to Santiago. We might see each other there. Buen Camino

Gerard, what a coincidence, starting at the same day. I am leaving Weston, FL, USA on Sep 27 to Madrid, from there to Pamplona by car, then getting the ALSA bus to SJPdP and arriving on Sep 28th around 7:30pm, going to get my credencial and then to a hotel, starting to walk also on Sep 29th. Buen camino!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I fly out of Australia on the 27th September and plan to start the walk on 29th but I'm starting from Lisbon and walking the Portuguese way. Sounds like everyone is going on the Frances route. Anyone else doing the Portugal way?

Gerard, what a coincidence, starting at the same day. I am leaving Weston, FL, USA on Sep 27 to Madrid, from there to Pamplona by car, then getting the ALSA bus to SJPdP and arriving on Sep 28th around 7:30pm, going to get my credencial and then to a hotel, starting to walk also on Sep 29th. Buen camino!!!
Hi, I arrive at SJPP on the 29th Sep, hoping to set out the following day.Greg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sounds good Lockslay, mayne we'll meet you at the camino supper on the evening of Sept 28th. If not I'm sure we'll catch up at Ronsevalles on the evening of Sept 29th.. Safe travelling and Buen camino

Hi, I arrive at SJPP on the 29th Sep, hoping to set out the following day.Greg
Gerard,

In Saint-Jean the Pilgrim Office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques is at 39 rue de la Citadelle. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the office is generally open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. Simply turn up and they will provide you with a Credential, current weather/trail info as well as on-site lodging assistance if needed.

Bon chemin and Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thanks Margaret..perfect information..God bless.

Hello Gerald, thanks for sharing and wishing you some good Irish Luck on your Camino adventure!
Thanks Mike..I'm starting a bit earlier than you (Sept 29th) but you might catch up with a bit of Irish luck :) . Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello all, Mauricio and I will be starting from SJPP Oct. 4th. SHope to see some of you on the camino :)
Katia

Hi all - my husband and I are from Newcastle Australia and we will be starting from st jean on 6th october. Getting excited - hope we get to meet some of you.

Hi all - my husband and I are from Newcastle Australia and we will be starting from st jean on 6th october. Getting excited - hope we get to meet some of you.

Millie, any chance of you making it to one of the Pilgrims in Sydney meetings? There is one on this Saturday - 12 noon Sydney RSL Club - details here:

http://www.pilgrimsinsydney.org/meetings.html

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi everyone.

I'm starting around 24 September in Roncesvalles ... I arrive in Madrid from Australia on 22 September! Been a bit last minute so not v fit for the camino, walking alone, really excited!! This is my first camino! Look forward to meeting some of you!!

Amanda

Hi everyone.

I'm starting around 24 September in Roncesvalles ... I arrive in Madrid from Australia on 22 September! Been a bit last minute so not v fit for the camino, walking alone, really excited!! This is my first camino! Look forward to meeting some of you!!

Amanda

Amanda, welcome! Wonderful decision and hope you have a really Buen Camino. A precaution though - don't let the excitement push you into overdoing it for the first couple of weeks, especially if you are not very fit and it is a last minute decision. I'm old and never very fit to start my Caminos so you are probably much better prepared than I ever am. And you still have two months of preparation. Even so, once on Camino, don't try and keep up with others; just go gently at your own comfortable pace. Build in rest days every week or so. You can do it, you will do it, but only if you respect your body and treat the Camino as training for the Camino - by building the kilometres slowly, just as you would preparation for any major athletic event. It's an endurance event, not a race.

Reading the thread "When your Camino does not go as planned" is very instructive.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi kanga - looks like we will be able to make it. Look forward to meeting you. Christine

Great to meet you today - hope it was worth the trip from Newcastle.

Amanda, welcome! Wonderful decision and hope you have a really Buen Camino. A precaution though - don't let the excitement push you into overdoing it for the first couple of weeks, especially if you are not very fit and it is a last minute decision. I'm old and never very fit to start my Caminos so you are probably much better prepared than I ever am. And you still have two months of preparation. Even so, once on Camino, don't try and keep up with others; just go gently at your own comfortable pace. Build in rest days every week or so. You can do it, you will do it, but only if you respect your body and treat the Camino as training for the Camino - by building the kilometres slowly, just as you would preparation for any major athletic event. It's an endurance event, not a race.

Reading the thread "When your Camino does not go as planned" is very instructive.
Thanks kanga! Great advice! I can't wait to discover my own camino! xA

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great to meet you today - hope it was worth the trip from Newcastle.
Hi kanga - thank you for inviting us - we certainly took away a lot new knowledge and things to think about.

Greetings from County Down. I'll be starting from Roncevalles on October 7th.
Hope to see some of you on the trail.
Terence.

I'll be landing in Pamplona 13:30 on Oct 3, looking for a way to get to St Jean to start my Camino.
Not sure if there will be a bus so would like to share a taxi or other conveyance if that works for any of you.
And if not, I expect we may meet along the way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello my name is Kaz, and I will be doing the Camino late September early October, start 10 weeks of training today. I am 50 years old and have done 30 years of running, walking and Bikam hot yoga so I am looking forward just to what the Camino can teach me. I believe the true training will start the day of the walk, internal and external. This is a dream come true for me, and I can't wait, so thrilled to be in this forum and learning.

Hi everyone.

Amanda

Welcome Amanda. I plan to start my first camino from St Jean on Sept 23. Perhaps we'll see each other.

Buen Camino.

€46,-
Hi Wanderwomen my name is Kaz travelling to the Camino end of September beginning of October, I am coming from Queensland Australia. Hope to meet fellow travellers from Aussie too and from all over the world. Excited for you.
Hello Kaz, Good luck on your Camino adventure. I'll be on the trail in early October.

Hello Kaz, Good luck on your Camino adventure. I'll be on the trail in early October.
Whow fantastic Mike, started my intense training yesterday, sore today yet a nice kind of sore, ran 8 klms and walked 4 klms. Today I will walk 8 klms and by next week I hope to take the walking up to 12 klms 3 times a weeks and running and riding in-between. That's the theory anyway ha ha. I maybe starting from Leon not sure yet deciding this week.

Hello all! After much hemming and hawing I have booked my flights and will be coming into Pamplona on October 1st. I made the decision to start there instead of SJPP again for different reasons...and I am stoked about it! I am really not planning on planning anything else- I know it will all fall into place. For now- just a few trips to REI! Good thing nothing goes out of style on the Camino- I plan on bringing most of the same stuff I used two years ago ;) Will definitely splurge on some new shoes though...
I hope to see you all along the Way!

€83,-
Hi gerard, my dad and i walked i think the 10th of oct last yr for a week. we had no prob finding beds for any night,we had great views when we stopped at orrison we/i had intended staying there but dad wanted to carry on so i cancelled our room and we carried on,it got really really cold and foggy so dense you could hear the bells on the horses collars but not see themo_O however we got to roscevellas in good shape and after that the weather was great for walking cool enough that you would need a jacket in the morn but mild enough for t-shirt most of the day,best wishes and enjoy ..

Kazbaza, I couldn't see where you intend to start your Camino.
October is pretty autumn time, very nice once the sun comes out of possible fog. The days become noticeably shorter as you walk West.
Always inform yourself about albergue availability in the area of your next day's intended stop. Some of them close around the beginning/middle of October.
You will still meet sufficient other pilgrims to have amiable company!
Ultreya!

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum

Kazbaza, I couldn't see where you intend to start your Camino.
October is pretty autumn time, very nice once the sun comes out of possible fog. The days become noticeably shorter as you walk West.
Always inform yourself about albergue availability in the area of your next day's intended stop. Some of them close around the beginning/middle of October.
You will still meet sufficient other pilgrims to have amiable company!
Ultreya!

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum
Fraluchi, hi Kaz (kazabaza) here, I intend to start from Leon I feel as I have never done this before and walk about 300 klms or I may bike some yet still planning it all. I have trained every day this week and boy my body is letting me know that it needs more. I intend to spent the next 7 weeks doing hill climbs and 10 to 12 klms walks 3 to 4 times a weeks and bike riding inbetween. Thanks for sharing and letting me know, I get the feeling anything goes with the whether. I have brought good boots already, great brooks running shoes, thermals, hat, cape, good rain jacket, some t-shirts and good walking loose yoga pants for the journey. Have been researching for 2 years although it is never the same as doing the trip. It is a mind/body/ and complete spiritual release for me after a very hard year last year. Suffered a terrible shock and had PSTD out of this now and just am going to nurture me, which I don't think I have really done being a counsellor and Coach for the last 15 years. Maybe a book will come out of this who knows ha ha lol. Just going for a walk and wander. Very excited, meeting my husband in Paris after the walk for 2 weeks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola Gerard,
Would recommend Beilari ( formally L’Esprit Du Chemin ) http://www.beilari.info/en in St Jean Pied De Port, shared meal in the evening, an opportunity to meet fellow pilgrims, check it out. Embrace the spirit of the camino, become a pilgrim, have a great experience. Best of luck to Limerick next Sunday against Kilkenny !!!
Buen Camino,
Slán,
Des.

I'll be landing in Pamplona 13:30 on Oct 3, looking for a way to get to St Jean to start my Camino.
Not sure if there will be a bus so would like to share a taxi or other conveyance if that works for any of you.
Hi ...WWW.expressbourricot.com do a taxi sec
Hi gerard, my dad and i walked i think the 10th of oct last yr for a week. we had no prob finding beds for any night,we had great views when we stopped at orrison we/i had intended staying there but dad wanted to carry on so i cancelled our room and we carried on,it got really really cold and foggy so dense you could hear the bells on the horses collars but not see themo_O however we got to roscevellas in good shape and after that the weather was great for walking cool enough that you would need a jacket in the morn but mild enough for t-shirt most of the day,best wishes and enjoy ..

Thats super info Jeannie, thanks .. Up Limerick !. I plan to keep going all the way on the first day to Ronsevalles so hopefully I'll get the clear weather for the views. Good advise though and jacket for morning times. I wasnt planning on bring one apart from a very light waterproof.
I'm used to wearing walking boots but after looking at street view of the roads I'm thinking maybe trail shoes might be better..what do you think ? Also I'm seeing bad reviews about Larrasoana?..Did you stay there and what was it like ?.. I dont intend on being a marthyr and will do B+B where thay are recommended :)

... Also I'm seeing bad reviews about Larrasoana?..Did you stay there and what was it like ?.. I dont intend on being a marthyr and will do B+B where thay are recommended

Gerard,

You need NOT stay in Larrasoana! You might stop before in Zubiri where the private albergue El Palo de Avellano is my favorite or continue on to Trinidad de Arre and the pleasant old monastery run by the Marist fathers. Located next to the river rapids their simple garden is a haven of rest.

Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola Gerard,
Would recommend Beilari ( formally L’Esprit Du Chemin ) http://www.beilari.info/en in St Jean Pied De Port, shared meal in the evening, an opportunity to meet fellow pilgrims, check it out. Embrace the spirit of the camino, become a pilgrim, have a great experience. Best of luck to Limerick next Sunday against Kilkenny !!!
Buen Camino,
Slán,
Des.
Thanks Des.. Nice website ..I've booked at priavte B+B for the night of Sept 28th in St Jean just to make sure I have a fresh start on 29th. I like the idea of sharing a meal tho and meeting others before I start. Maybe I can just go and pay for the meal and meet the others arriving on 28th ? Is that possibwl do you know ?
I'll walk barefoot, to the airport anway, if we win on Sunday :)

Thats super info Jeannie, thanks .. Up Limerick !. I plan to keep going all the way on the first day to Ronsevalles so hopefully I'll get the clear weather for the views. Good advise though and jacket for morning times. I wasnt planning on bring one apart from a very light waterproof.
I'm used to wearing walking boots but after looking at street view of the roads I'm thinking maybe trail shoes might be better..what do you think ? Also I'm seeing bad reviews about Larrasoana?..Did you stay there and what was it like ?.. I dont intend on being a marthyr and will do B+B where thay are recommended :)
hi Gerard,after roscevellas we stayed in albergue zaldiki in Zubiri which was ok, i had a bad night due to snorers:mad: we then stayed in pampelona in a huge place which was to our surprise really comfy and warm, [jesus y maria]in Ciraqui we stayed in one of the nicest places [albergue Maralotx] had a great evening meal and the host were lovely.but to be honest i think it is usually being in the right place a the right time makes or breaks a place,as for shoes/boots its an impossible question i have gammy weak ankles and like the support of light boots but did meet people wearing all sorts .alot of the paths are really rough and stoney so easy to twist a knee or ankle ?i found the walking poles really handy,but i have not walked that much at all really just been in that area once but hope i have been of some little use,keep us updated on your plans,

and gerard dont forget to stick an irish/limerick flag on your backpack

Hello my name is Kaz, and I will be doing the Camino late September early October, start 10 weeks of training today. I am 50 years old and have done 30 years of running, walking and Bikam hot yoga so I am looking forward just to what the Camino can teach me. I believe the true training will start the day of the walk, internal and external. This is a dream come true for me, and I can't wait, so thrilled to be in this forum and learning.
Hello Kaz. I arrive in St Jean on Sept 28th and start walking on 29th so maybe we will meet along the way or at the start. I'm only doing a few stages this year (5 days walking) and will plan completing it in stages over the coming years.

Hello Gerald
I am hoping to start my Camino Pilgrimage Walk on October 4th with a small group of walkers with the www.caminoexperience "Just get me started". Hoping that a few other Camino walkers will join us. My wife is pretty insistent that I find some hiking buddies/companions that i can tag along with on my first Camino Pilgrimage. I wanted to do the 500 miles if at all possible starting at St. Jean and ending up 33 days later at Santiago de Compostella using the John Brierly guide book. This has been on my Bucket List for the past 3 years and goes back 7 years ago when I read a good Camino book by Joyce Rupp "Walking in a Relaxed Manner"
Hello Mike,
I will be starting at Roncevalles, hopefully on October 6th.
Hope to see your group on the trail.
Terence.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome all to the Forum! It's great to see so many Forum members starting their Camino in SJPDP. I'm sure the elevation changes have caught your eye and, by necessity, you've done the right thing by assessing your fitness level and, where needed, have begun some training.
Keep reviewing this thread for additional pilgrims you may meet in SJPDP as you begin your walk along the Way.
I will be starting in Sarria October 1. I'm taking a short break after a very hectic, though rewarding three months sailing in the Gulf of Maine. As I will be going quite slow...I'm in no rush, I estimate arrival in SdC on the 9th/10th. After a day, or two, I will head to Muxia/Finisterre. Hope to see many of you along the Way.
Buen Camino,
Arn

Hi everyone,
It's so nice to find this thread- I decided on a a but of a whim to return to the Camino, but this time in October (Last time I went in August) and I was getting a bit concerned that it'd be very quiet, so it's nice to see other folks are heading out around the same time! (though I will be starting at Estella)
I haven't done any preparations this time, so I think I'll just take it easy and see how I get on. I would appreciate any advice re the weather at this section and appropriate gear (rain gear, what sort of sleeping bag should I take, etc)
Many thanks and Buen Camino

Hi everyone,
It's so nice to find this thread- I decided on a a but of a whim to return to the Camino, but this time in October (Last time I went in August) and I was getting a bit concerned that it'd be very quiet, so it's nice to see other folks are heading out around the same time! (though I will be starting at Estella)
I haven't done any preparations this time, so I think I'll just take it easy and see how I get on. I would appreciate any advice re the weather at this section and appropriate gear (rain gear, what sort of sleeping bag should I take, etc)

Hi Tamar!

October is a wonderful time to walk-- the only "downside" is you need to prepare for all weather! Two years ago during October I had just a handful of rainy days (one of those downpour days being the 17 km stretch with no stops or shelter...) and also a lot of sun, some very chilly mornings, some sweltering hot days, and everything in between!

Last time I brought my 15F mummy sleeping bag, this time I will just be taking a sleeping bag liner and a light, cheap semi-rectangular bag that I will probably end up unzipping and using more as a blanket. But everyone sleeps differently!

Like I said, October is a great time to walk- won't be crazy crowded but there are also enough people that you will never feel lonely. I start in Pamplona on the 1st- not sure of your plans but maybe we'll run into each other!

Hi Tamar!

October is a wonderful time to walk-- the only "downside" is you need to prepare for all weather! Two years ago during October I had just a handful of rainy days (one of those downpour days being the 17 km stretch with no stops or shelter...) and also a lot of sun, some very chilly mornings, some sweltering hot days, and everything in between!

Last time I brought my 15F mummy sleeping bag, this time I will just be taking a sleeping bag liner and a light, cheap semi-rectangular bag that I will probably end up unzipping and using more as a blanket. But everyone sleeps differently!

Like I said, October is a great time to walk- won't be crazy crowded but there are also enough people that you will never feel lonely. I start in Pamplona on the 1st- not sure of your plans but maybe we'll run into each other!
thanks Megan!
this is great help - and also reassuring :)
I'm heading out on the October 2nd to Madrid, so I imagine I'll start walking on the 3rd. As I said- I'll take it slow as I haven't prepared much, so I'm sure you'll catch up with me pretty quickly I'll be walking for 2 weeks, how long are you going for?

Hi everyone,
Hi Tamar, I hope to see you on the Camino - I start in Logroño on Sept. 28. I am taking a very lightweight Marmot sleeping bag (NanoWave). This is the same bag that I took on my Sept/Oct Camino last year. I think it will still be very warm in Estella when you start, but I just sleep on top of my sleeping bag on warm nights. I did not encounter much rain early on last year, but lots of rain in Galicia (one 19 km day in a downpour that lasted 6 hours). I took a rain jacket, poncho and gaiters last year - this year I am just taking a poncho. The rain jacket was too hot and the gaiters didn't really help that much. Tip: ask for old newspapers at the albergue or bar - stuff them in your wet boots and the newspaper helps to draw some of the water out. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hi Tamar, I hope to see you on the Camino - I start in Logroño on Sept. 28. I am taking a very lightweight Marmot sleeping bag (NanoWave). This is the same bag that I took on my Sept/Oct Camino last year. I think it will still be very warm in Estella when you start, but I just sleep on top of my sleeping bag on warm nights. I did not encounter much rain early on last year, but lots of rain in Galicia (one 19 km day in a downpour that lasted 6 hours). I took a rain jacket, poncho and gaiters last year - this year I am just taking a poncho. The rain jacket was too hot and the gaiters didn't really help that much. Tip: ask for old newspapers at the albergue or bar - stuff them in your wet boots and the newspaper helps to draw some of the water out. Buen Camino!
Thanks, that's very helpful-
Seems like it might be warmer than I thought on the part I'll be doing (I won't make it as far as Galicia). I start walking on the 3rd in Estella- I'll try and catch up :)
Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I feel like the black sheep of the forum as I plan to cycle from SJPDP around 16/17 October. I too am recently retired having taken an early package from social work service in Fife. I will make sure to fit a bell! What are the casa rurales like?
John

Hey Guys, ill be started the 5th or 6th of October. Cannot wait! Looks like an amazing trail and such! now all i have to do is downsize my backing ;) xx

Do most people travel over the pyrenees on the first day? The 28km or stay in orisson over night? Still undecided about that.

Do most people travel over the pyrenees on the first day? The 28km or stay in orisson over night? Still undecided about that.
I would guess most walk the whole way to Roncesvalles the first day. But either way is good.

Most pilgrims have an abundance of strength and energy the first day, so they go all the way to Roncesvalles. It is within the capability of most pilgrims. However, there can be quite a payback over the following weeks. It takes its toll on joints, muscles, and feet. Take particular care to tend to your feet. Blisters that you get from the steep uphill, then steep downhill, will be an aggravation for weeks to come. Do not let the enthusiasm of the first day cause you to keep on walking when you get the early signs of blisters. Stop and treat your feet. There are several threads of recommendations in the Forum, so read them. One solution does not fit all, so be prepared to try several treatments.

Take breaks, hydrate, and keep your blood sugar up!

Or stop at Orisson...

I fly out of Australia on the 27th September and plan to start the walk on 29th but I'm starting from Lisbon and walking the Portuguese way. Sounds like everyone is going on the Frances route. Anyone else doing the Portugal way?
I'm doing the French route (just from O Cebreiro) this year, but I've done the Portuguese route and loved it, except for a tedious bit near Porrino. September/October is a lovely time of year to go. Enjoy!

All I need now is the credential but planning to pick that up in SJPP the evening I arrive, Does anyone have info on the procedure and credential office times in SJPP? Also I'm expecting to be able to do the Napoleon route probably starting at approx 8.30am, planning my first pit stop in Orisson for a quick lunch before making Ronsevalles by mid afternoon.. Is that ambitious timing ?

Hi from Wicklow! You can get an Irish credential from the Irish Society of the Friends of St. James in Dublin. Google them and ring Betty and she should be able to post one out for you. Or if you will be in Dublin before then you can get one at St. James Church on James Street and get your first stamp either there or at the Guinness Brewery (truly!). As for the start time, I think we started about 7 am and arrived around mid afternoon but we're fairly relaxed and stopped for a cup of coffee before Orisson, at Orisson for a snack, snack again with the white van man along the road (is he still there?) and lunch near the top! We believe in taking Mr. Brierly as a suggestion only and supporting as many cafes as possible!

Buen Camino!

I'm doing the French route (just from O Cebreiro) this year, but I've done the Portuguese route and loved it, except for a tedious bit near Porrino. September/October is a lovely time of year to go. Enjoy!
Thankyou. I'm actually flying today now. Decided I needed an extra week to enjoy the walk so starting a week early. :p Buen Camino to you and have a safe trip.

Hi everyone!

I start, very anxiously, next Friday (3 October) from Leon. I will be walking by myself so am very much hoping to meet some of you along the way.

Some of you may be able to help me with the final thing I am trying to work out before starting. Currently, I have a pair of merino wool thermals and waterproof pants. Gathering from other posts, people suggest another pair. Do people recommend that I buy another pair of long waterproof pants or should I instead be getting a pair of shorts, given it may still be sunny. Obviously the weather will never be predictable but if anyone has any suggestions, I would welcome them!

I hope I meet some of you along the way - everyone seems so nice!

Helen

Hi everyone!

I start, very anxiously, next Friday (3 October) from Leon. I will be walking by myself so am very much hoping to meet some of you along the way.

Some of you may be able to help me with the final thing I am trying to work out before starting. Currently, I have a pair of merino wool thermals and waterproof pants. Gathering from other posts, people suggest another pair. Do people recommend that I buy another pair of long waterproof pants or should I instead be getting a pair of shorts, given it may still be sunny. Obviously the weather will never be predictable but if anyone has any suggestions, I would welcome them!

I hope I meet some of you along the way - everyone seems so nice!

Helen
I start from SJPP a on October 11th Saturday 2014
I noticed I was following another thread regarding October but it was 2013.
Anyone leaving SJPP on this upcoming Oct 11th?

Great thread! I am starting on October 1 or 2 as well. Is an 8pm arrival in Pamplona on October 1 probably too late to press on to St. Jean? This is my first Camino and I can't believe my departure date has finally arrived. Hope to see you on the road!

Oct 11th is a national holiday. A lot of celebration with regional flairs. Enjoy.
Tell me where most celebrations happen for that day. That's when I start from SJPP. THANKS

Oct 11th is a national holiday. A lot of celebration with regional flairs. Enjoy.
What is the holiday? Is it for France or Spain? I don't see anything for France, and Hispanic Day in Spain is on Oct. 12, celebrated on Oct. 13.

I don't know why this just occurred to me, but when I saw that today's date was Sept. 29, I thought it would be worth reminding everyone that the ALSA bus service from Pamplona to St. Jean ends tomorrow until March of 2015! Buen camino to all October pilgrims.

I don't know why this just occurred to me, but when I saw that today's date was Sept. 29, I thought it would be worth reminding everyone that the ALSA bus service from Pamplona to St. Jean ends tomorrow until March of 2015!
They have slipped the ending day to October 13, 2014. The number of pilgrims must be making it lucrative!!

€83,-
I just have to announce this somewhere.... Just arrived in NYC, little layover here and then on to Dublin, small plane to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona, start walking Wednesday morning.
And....
I left my rain jacket in California.

What is the holiday? Is it for France or Spain? I don't see anything for France, and Hispanic Day in Spain is on Oct. 12, celebrated on Oct. 13.
That's what I thought too. Hmm I guess I'll find out when I get there.
~Geo~

That's what I thought too. Hmm I guess I'll find out when I get there.
~Geo~

In Spain, they love their "puentes" - long holiday weekends, sometimes stretching well into the week on both ends of the weekend. Since the 12th falls on a Sunday, the 11th is probably part of the "puente". It's Hispanic Day or Dia de la Raza. It's Columbus Day here. Although many Italian-Americans like to claim it as their holiday, Columbus sailed for Spain and made the Spanish Empire grow, spreading the Spanish language and culture through most of Latin America. Of course, not everything they did was comendable.

P.S. My friend and I, who is having foot trouble, will be leaving from O Cebreiro on October 10. I may have to walk on my own most of the way. If you see a 60-ish NY lady with short blonde hair - say hello, it might be me. Buen Camino to all!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back