• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pics of packs

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
With all the advice and opinions on this forum about finding the right backpack, discussions on weight, volume, back system etc, we very rarely discuss the look of them. And of course looks really don't matter when it's on your back, but still ... we grow to love them, and our Camino friends recognise us by them, so I thought our hard working packs deserved their own photo thread.

In short: I would like to see pics of your packs! Before and after shots, with badges, shells and camino dust. Shiny new or with duct tape repairs, with or without socks hanging to dry. How did you personalise or customise yours, and why? Did you stitch, glue or iron your embellishments on? I am going to sew on my Forum patch and probably a few other things very soon, so give me inspiration!

Linda

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is a close-up of my Osprey Aura 50 in Baja Blue, an absolute find from Ebay after I found myself love, love, loving the Aura 35 on my 2012 Camino from StJPdP. For longer trips with more stuff I needed a bigger bag and found her. This pic was taken on the first day of our attempt at walking from Tønsberg/Tunsberg to Oslo in preparation for the St Olav's Way, note the cup of half a quarter bottle of champagne and wild strawberries fresh from the side of the track! The smiling sun is there to remind me of my friend Mette who died less than a year after we met on the Camino - a true smiler. My pack is also named after her.

Attachments

• Sekkemette.jpg
    Sekkemette.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1399466222.483699.jpg

This is my 20 litre pack... I wear it on my front... I wore it for 2 weeks last year on Camino Frances and Camino Salvador... It contains everything I need for the Camino... I'll be carrying it again as I head off on the Camino Vadiniense next weekend.

Paul.

IMG_3741.JPG

My backpack for the last 5 years, Lowe Alpine 45+10 capacity: 6 Western Way Marathons, 2 West Highland Ways, 1 Offa's Dyke Path, 2 Art O'Neill's, 1 Maamturk Challenge and 3 Caminos. Hoping I'll get a few years more out of it yet. This shot was taken at the seafront in Prestatyn, Wales when I finished the Offa's Dyke Path with an 11 hour, 24 mile ( 43 k ) day with about 4,200 feet ( 1,300 metre ) of climbing. Rarely was a cerveza so enjoyed.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wayfarer, Offa's Dyke is fairly demanding, about 8,500 metres of climbing in about 175 miles, hardest thing to get used to was the number of villages you'd pass through that no longer had a village shop or pub, meant carrying about 13 kilos backpack weight with extra water/food plus the normal odds and ends but some glorious stretches with the Hatersall Ridge being foremost. PM me if you get to the stage of planning for it and I'll gladly help in any way I can.

Well - I've just upgraded from a 35L to 40L - a Mountain Warehouse brand. As with several other back-packs bought from MW, I find the stitching can be poor - but the capacity is great! And with quite a few zip pockets for those odds and ends, I find it excellent.
As you can see, there's also a separate large zip pocket at the base - ideal to keep the spare shoes in.
Of course, you can also see those vital accessories - the forum and national badges.
In fact, only this morning I changed my 'avatar' from a grumpy old man, to the new back-pack ;)
But here's a larger version ....
DSCF6258-001.JPG
Just six more day to go and I'm off on the Camino Ingles.
Buen camino!

My pack the first day on the Camino Frances somewhere between St. Jean and Roncesvalles and on the last day in the plaza in Santiago.
Not the best pack for the task as it has no padded hip belt or frame for support (all the weight is on your shoulders), but it was all I could scrounge up where I was working overseas prior to starting my Camino.

El Camino day 1 021.jpg 133.JPG

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In fact, only this morning I changed my 'avatar' from a grumpy old man, to the new back-pack
Just six more day to go and I'm off on the Camino Ingles.
Buen camino!

C'est très élégant!
Have a wonder filled and safe camino, Stephen.
I look forward to reading your new posts.

Carpe Diem,

Margaret Meredith

DSCF0412.jpg View attachment 9748
With all the advice and opinions on this forum about finding the right backpack, discussions on weight, volume, back system etc, we very rarely discuss the look of them. And of course looks really don't matter when it's on your back, but still ... we grow to love them, and our Camino friends recognise us by them, so I thought our hard working packs deserved their own photo thread.

In short: I would like to see pics of your packs! Before and after shots, with badges, shells and camino dust. Shiny new or with duct tape repairs, with or without socks hanging to dry. How did you personalise or customise yours, and why? Did you stitch, glue or iron your embellishments on? I am going to sew on my Forum patch and probably a few other things very soon, so give me inspiration!

Linda

Here's a photo of my rucksack taken on praia de Langostertia with Finisterre in the background.We had become very close friends by this stage !!!!!

The boots came off and I had a very welcome and refreshing paddle before continuing the last few short kms into Finisterre

Rgds,

Peadar

Hi Linda -

If you're thinking about a 'mascot' for your pack, check out the cute yellow monkey, named 'Jacqueline', from Rachel Thompson's totally fantastic Camino video clip:

Cheers!
Did anyone else notice the Camino Buff on the table near the end?
Great images... I can't wait!!!

In fact, only this morning I changed my 'avatar' from a grumpy old man, to the new back-pack ;)
I have been wondering how to get an " avatar" or picture to go with the name.
How is it done please?

If you move the cursor to hover over your user name on the right hand side of the dark blue menu line at the top of the page, you will get a list of options, one of them, near the bottom on the left hand column, will be Avatar. Click on that and you will get a small box opening, the Avatar Editor. You can upload your profile picture there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you move the cursor to hover over your user name on the right hand side of the dark blue menu line at the top of the page, you will get a list of options, one of them, near the bottom on the left hand column, will be Avatar. Click on that and you will get a small box opening, the Avatar Editor. You can upload your profile picture there.
Thanks for answering, Nidarosa. Saved me working out again how I'd done it - in the end it was very simple. :)
Off on the Ingles in four days - see you did it in 2009. Hope you enjoyed it ...
Buen camino, amigo!

I did enjoy it - it was my first and 'test' Camino, testing my kit and my fitness and resolve. Had a great time, will never forget the Chinese warrior and the dinosaur combo ... you will see what I mean when you get there :D Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Finally had some decent weather so I was able to spray my pack and some of the clothes with Permithrin. Once it dried, I loaded up my pack and weighed it. After tossing out my favorite Beer Stein, two bags of Fritos and a can of boiled peanuts I was able to get it down to 21 Lbs.--- 8 sleeps before "I'm leaving on a jet plane".

Ed

Attachments

• photo2 [DVD (PAL)].jpg
    photo2 [DVD (PAL)].jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 102
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@wayfarer and HalfDomeOrBust - I like that you have name badges with your forum user names on! I think I might try to get one of those. Do people recognise you from those names?
I only put mine on this year with the purpose of meeting fellow forum members but unfortunately I had to turn back after only five kms due to chest pains so I never found out if it would work or not. Next time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So sorry to hear that, hope you are feeling better and that you can get back to try again soon. If I should see you along the way somewhere I will buy you a drink!

Did anyone else notice the Camino Buff on the table near the end?
Great images... I can't wait!!!
Hi drvnsmiln - golly you're observant! Top spotting! 'Glad you liked the clip - it's my absolute favourite Camino clip! It really captures the spirit of the Camino. Something else that appears in Rachel's video is our wonderful Forum friend Wayfarer's avatar ... around the 11 second mark. 'Hope all is going really, really well for you Wayfarer - all the very best to you and Jane.
Cheers - Jenny

@wayfarer and HalfDomeOrBust - I like that you have name badges with your forum user names on! I think I might try to get one of those. Do people recognise you from those names?
When on the AT or Florida Trail other hikers did as word as to who is thru hiking reaches far and wide up and down the trail. This will be my first Camino so I guess we will find out!!
Have a great day and Buen Camino.
Ed

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ever see those little cloth flags sold in airport stores? Last year I counted 56 different flags sewed on a backpack being carried by a guy from Norway. He said he was carrying everything he owned in the world.

I love my pack, not least because it's purple, a colour that i'm rather fond of - it's a Berghaus Freeflow Ladies, 30+6 litres and it will camino with me again this year :)

DSC00238.jpg

Picture taken last September on the Camino Frances

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
forum patch, flag, embroidered shell from first camino, real shell from home for this one, a bell from a fellow pilgrim jingling away, the purple Salvador scarf, charity: water container, crocheted kiwi, and massive advertising banner....I could have shed half a kilo if I'd left these sentimental bits behind!!!!
The girls' bags weighed about 2kg and the boys' about 5 with food.

Attachments

• Camino 2014 2014-06-29 015.JPG
    Camino 2014 2014-06-29 015.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 52
  • Camino 2014 2014-07-02 023.JPG
    Camino 2014 2014-07-02 023.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 48
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Far left = Mammut Crea Light 40L, center = Lowe Alpine Airzone 33+10 with kit ready to pack, far right = Lowe packed. Lowe will be up for sale tomorrow. I've decided to take the Mammut!

Here's mine relaxing outside a bar in O Cebreiro on my first Camino. It's a
Berghaus Freeflow 35+8 and has also been with me on all my Caminos since.
23_05_11Cebreiro.JPG

If you have instagram, #caminobackpacks
Just checked it out. Wow...some amazing pics. Th
forum patch, flag, embroidered shell from first camino, real shell from home for this one, a bell from a fellow pilgrim jingling away, the purple Salvador scarf, charity: water container, crocheted kiwi, and massive advertising banner....I could have shed half a kilo if I'd left these sentimental bits behind!!!!
The girls' bags weighed about 2kg and the boys' about 5 with food.

How can I get a Forum patch???

Gregory Jade 34L, unintended clothesline at times... :)

Attachments

• backpacklaundry.JPG
    backpacklaundry.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 50
Just checked it out. Wow...some amazing pics. Th

How can I get a Forum patch???

Hi Pscarmen - this is how to get your Forum patch ... if you scroll down to the bottom of this page and click on "Home" at the bottom right hand side, when the Home page comes up you'll see a large ad for the Forum Store on the top right hand corner ... click on that and all the products will come up. The Forum patch is fantastic! You'll love it!
Cheers - Jenny

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Pscarmen - this is how to get your Forum patch ... if you scroll down to the bottom of this page and click on "Home" at the bottom right hand side, when the Home page comes up you'll see a large ad for the Forum Store on the top right hand corner ... click on that and all the products will come up. The Forum patch is fantastic! You'll love it!
Cheers - Jenny
Thanks Jenny....can't wait!

OK, here's my 'before' and 'after' backpack photos. The 'before' shows my Osprey Kestrel 38 on my bedroom floor, all packed and ready to go the next day. The 'after' shot was not really 'after' since it was taken at the Casa de Dioses a few km before Astorga, but you get the idea what a severely pilgrimized pack can look like on the Camino.

Sorry, I don't know what caused the double post of the photos. Mea culpa.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.