• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Preparation for Sept/Oct

s3sfamily

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm going on my camino September 24 thru October 10, 2014.
I read a thread recently where the guy thought it was good to bring a goretex jacket, a fleece, a poncho, gloves and a insect net for your head. Of these I was planning on a rain poncho only. Any thoughts much appreciated! Thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Assume you mean Frances.
You can plan on rain and cold in Galicia for Sept/Oct.
Also in La Rioja and Leon, fierce storms can drop over the mountains from the north.
I'm going in Sept/Oct (was there in Sept 2012) and I'm planning on being wet and cold.
Rain jacket with fleece liner, gloves, boots, shemagh, and silk scarf. And I'm lining my pack with a trash compactor bag.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I read a thread recently where the guy thought it was good to bring a goretex jacket, a fleece, a poncho, gloves and a insect net for your head. Of these I was planning on a rain poncho only. Any thoughts much appreciated! Thanks

Anyone can be uncomfortable on the camino ...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I suppose that is true. I thought it would be mostly warm and rain some days. What clothes I pack will be different if it's cold and rainy. I just don't want to be caught
off guard if I can help it. Thank you for the responses.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This subject worries me a bit too, I have Reynauds, so feel the cold much more than most people. I have included leggings and a long-sleeved merino shirt, fleece and very light puffer jacket, and rainpants, and am tossing up whether to take my Gorotex jacket (550gms) or buy a lighter waterproof jacket. (Don't really want to spend the money, but I'm at 8kgs now, and would like to lighten the load a little.) Oh, and I have included merino gloves and a buff.

How do I get to a PM-conversation?
Oy I'm such a luddite!
Upper right hand of this page should show your forum name and next to it an envelope icon. If there is a number in the envelope, you have a Conversation message, called a PM on some other forums. It is an ongoing private conversation between members.

This subject worries me a bit too, I have Reynauds, so feel the cold much more than most people. I have included leggings and a long-sleeved merino shirt, fleece and very light puffer jacket, and rainpants, and am tossing up whether to take my Gorotex jacket (550gms) or buy a lighter waterproof jacket. (Don't really want to spend the money, but I'm at 8kgs now, and would like to lighten the load a little.) Oh, and I have included merino gloves and a buff.
If you can layer the fleece and light jacket that should be enough. I'm carrying a slightly heavier fleece/jacket combo because I'll be in Scotland in November. The wool base layer will be fine.
8kgs seems like a lot. But not unmanageable.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not soft like you cobber. too true, mon ami!
Just checked your spreadsheet. See one day of 37 ks.
Crikey! Think you are superman or something?

Thank you for pointing out the error of my "ways"!
Will have a re-think - am trying to find somewhere decent to stay overnight between Leon and Astorga.
Any suggestions?

The private Albergue Verde in Hospital de Órbigo is a gem. Reassembled recently from old farm barns it is hyper clean, comfortable and spacious. Vegetables from the surrounding organic garden are prepared by the hospitalera for a most delicious donativo dinner. What a happy find!

Be sure to scan this earlier Forum thread for other posts re the Leon to Astorga routes.

MM

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
?
Sep/Oct I took 4 layers.
Thermal base layer
Long sleeved shirt
Fleece
Altus Poncho
Never needed more than that.
Regds
Gerard
Gerard, did you ever wear a short sleeve shirt? I plan on taking a base layer(top only) short sleve tech tops, long sleeve spf sunshirt, lightweight fleece and rain jacket. Did you use short sleve shirts or was it too cool. I'll be leaving SJPP on September 9th and will fly home end of October. Do you think this will be enough?
Linda

I plan on taking a base layer (top only), short sleeve tech tops, long sleeve spf sunshirt, lightweight fleece and rain jacket. Do you think this will be enough?
Five layers should do it even on a cool evening! My "rain jacket" is a very light wind shirt, and I have a poncho to cover everything, so I have one more layer than you. I don't think I ever used six layers...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
?
Gerard, did you ever wear a short sleeve shirt? I plan on taking a base layer(top only) short sleve tech tops, long sleeve spf sunshirt, lightweight fleece and rain jacket. Did you use short sleve shirts or was it too cool. I'll be leaving SJPP on September 9th and will fly home end of October. Do you think this will be enough?
Linda
Us antipodeans seem to be a little more careful as regards sun exposure.
I took one polypropylene s/s Baselayer. Used it mainly as nightware.
The good thing about long-sleeve synthetic shirts is that they are versatile, and multi-purpose.
With the sleeves down they are a bit warmer on inclement days, and on chilly mornings.
As the day warms up, roll up the sleeves and you've got short sleeved shirt.
And you can unbutton the front, to varying degrees, for more ventilation.
They are also perhaps a little more dressy at night-times, and for before and after Caminos.

So, if it looked like a chilly start, after a wash I'd pull my base-layer back on, then a l/s shirt, then the fleece.
This was always sufficient - unless it was raining when the poncho was added. (Also used the poncho as a wind-breaker when needed)
As the day warmed up the the fleece came off (the poncho first if in use), then the base layer (ladies would need a tree/bush or cafe with toilets), leaving just the l/s shirt.
I was never unpleasantly cold or wet.
I took 3 x l/s shirts.
I figured I could always double up with the l/shirts if required. Never needed to.

As to the time factor I first attempt to ascertain the no of ks I can average per day. I figure I can happily average 20-ish ks a day.
That means it will take 40 days plus any rest days. I want a rest day in Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, and another some where on the final run down into Santiago. Then I'll need a couple in Santiago itself to sightsee. Shared a rental car out to Finisterre and Muxia last time. That was a good idea.

You changed your leaving St Jean date to Sep 9th? DeadFred's calendar has you leaving St Jean on Sep 12th, same day as me. I was going to gather my tribe, grab Mary (barber 1586) and come pay you guys a visit at Bieleri on the 11th.

GETTING CLOSER NOW!

Regds
Gerard

The good thing about long-sleeve synthetic shirts is that they are versatile, and multi-purpose.

Gerard- What brand of LS synthetic shirt are you referring to? Does it have a collar and a button on the sleeve to in SS mode?

I layer as follows: a short sleeve ultra fine merino t-shirt, a long sleeve lightweight cotton/silk or synthetic shirt (can be left open down the front), a merino cardigan, a sleeved poncho like an Altus or a Packa. That combination allows me to strip down to a t-shirt, but is warm, wind proof and waterproof if necessary.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Gerard- What brand of LS synthetic shirt are you referring to? Does it have a collar and a button on the sleeve to in SS mode?
An example is the Columbia Tamiami 11 LS Shirt, which are made for women too.
http://tinyurl.com/nksaks9
Yes they have a collar and the button on the sleeve.
The collar is good for a turn up to help protect the neck from sun. The button is perhaps an overkill (I cut them off).
There are many other manufacturers around who are just as good and probly cheaper.
Regds
Gerard

Us antipodeans seem to be a little more careful as regards sun exposure.
I took one polypropylene s/s Baselayer. Used it mainly as nightware.
With the sleeves down they are a bit warmer on inclement days, and on chilly mornings.
As the day warms up, roll up the sleeves and you've got short sleeved shirt.
And you can unbutton the front, to varying degrees, for more ventilation.
They are also perhaps a little more dressy at night-times, and for before and after Caminos.

So, if it looked like a chilly start, after a wash I'd pull my base-layer back on, then a l/s shirt, then the fleece.
This was always sufficient - unless it was raining when the poncho was added. (Also used the poncho as a wind-breaker when needed)
As the day warmed up the the fleece came off (the poncho first if in use), then the base layer (ladies would need a tree/bush or cafe with toilets), leaving just the l/s shirt.
I was never unpleasantly cold or wet.
I took 3 x l/s shirts.
I figured I could always double up with the l/shirts if required. Never needed to.

As to the time factor I first attempt to ascertain the no of ks I can average per day. I figure I can happily average 20-ish ks a day.
That means it will take 40 days plus any rest days. I want a rest day in Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, and another some where on the final run down into Santiago. Then I'll need a couple in Santiago itself to sightsee. Shared a rental car out to Finisterre and Muxia last time. That was a good idea.

You changed your leaving St Jean date to Sep 9th? DeadFred's calendar has you leaving St Jean on Sep 12th, same day as me. I was going to gather my tribe, grab Mary (barber 1586) and come pay you guys a visit at Bieleri on the 11th.

GETTING CLOSER NOW!

Regds
Gerard
Sorry Gerard, we are leaving SJPP on the 12th. It's the 9th from the US. Oops! So my long sleve spf must be like yours and can be rolled up. Planned on bringing only one of those, but maybe two. I am also thinking the same amount of days as you for the walk, bet we see lots of each other.:):)
Can't wait to meet you guys and Mary on the 11th. We will also be there on the night of the 10th. When are you getting into SJPP? It is getting closer!!!!

Hello experienced pilgrims, I cannot find the Altus poncho. Where can get one? Pls help. I am going in Sep/Oct this yr.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello experienced pilgrims, I cannot find the Altus poncho. Where can get one? Pls help. I am going in Sep/Oct this yr.

Jason,

Equipment for pilgrims is available in Saint Jean Pied de Port in the two shops Boutique du Pelerin at 32 rue de la Citadelle and Direction Compostelle nearby on the place Floquet.
Both are run by the same helpful, experienced pilgrim. See --http://directioncompostelle.com.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

I suppose that is true. I thought it would be mostly warm and rain some days. What clothes I pack will be different if it's cold and rainy. I just don't want to be caught
off guard if I can help it. Thank you for the responses.

You need to pack so that you are ready for the worst case scenario. Keep in mind that a shirt under a raincoat with a pack on will likely be enough, particularly when walking uphill ... you just can't stop for breaks. A poncho over the raincoat is useful in real weather because of condensation ... the extra layer of rain gear helps.

The main issue for warm gear is evenings. Albergues are often not heated. The walk to and from the restaurant or store is after you have stopped walking and you will feel cooler.

Thank you Whariwharagni, that makes sense. I will look for a raincoat. I really appreciate everyones help!
I pour over this forum with all the different conversations learning, learning, learning.

We also walked sept/ oct 2012 . It was very hot to start off with. I had 2 t shirts and a light fleece jacket .Don't forget, you can buy stuff as you go along. I bought an Altus in Leon, didn't need it before then ,also an extra fleece. Got gloves and a beanie in Fromista, and hiking sandals and more socks in Castrojeriz. IMHO it's better to start with as light a pack as possible, and add to it as you get more used to carrying it and your back becomes stronger.
Buen camino!

I layer as follows: a short sleeve ultra fine merino t-shirt, a long sleeve lightweight cotton/silk or synthetic shirt (can be left open down the front), a merino cardigan, a sleeved poncho like an Altus or a Packa. That combination allows me to strip down to a t-shirt, but is warm, wind proof and waterproof if necessary.
@Kanga makes a good point here, and that is that your layering needs to allow you to add and remove layers on the road, and not have to seek out a private place to make the adjustments. I got caught coming out of Logrono in 2010 needing to add a layer, and only having my thermal long johns left to add. When I thought that I had found a suitable spot to do this, what had previously seemed to be just a smattering of fellow pilgrims suddenly became a crowd as I stripped to the point where I could don my thermals :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
@Kanga makes a good point here, and that is that your layering needs to allow you to add and remove layers on the road, and not have to seek out a private place to make the adjustments. I got caught coming out of Logrono in 2010 needing to add a layer, and only having my thermal long johns left to add. When I thought that I had found a suitable spot to do this, what had previously seemed to be just a smattering of fellow pilgrims suddenly became a crowd as I stripped to the point where I could don my thermals :)
Hahaha Dougfitz that's happened to me on the few occasions. Or sneaking off to relieve oneself only to walk back to the trail to find other pilgrims.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

I tend to layer rather like this too. But consider adding cycling arm warmers, which are essentially removable sleeves. This way your short sleeve shirt can become another long sleeve layer early in the day. Then as you warm up, you can roll them down to your wrist or simply remove and stow in a pocket or in your pack. They're available at places like REI or any bicycle shop. I love mine. I may have to bring my Sheila Moon ones this time! They've often left fellow cyclist thinking I've got full sleeve tattoos! Till I peel'em down!

I just found a hiking kilt... I don't have to take it off to add or subtract from the lower half. It's a quick dry material with a light water resistance. Of course in a soaking deluge like I experienced cycling into Burgos in 2012, I might as well had on a bathing suit. That was one of the most epic rains I have ever been out in. AND I have lived in the tropics where it rains all day every day in the rainy months.

I just found a hiking kilt... I don't have to take it off to add or subtract from the lower half. It's a quick dry material with a light water resistance. Of course in a soaking deluge like I experienced cycling into Burgos in 2012, I might as well had on a bathing suit. That was one of the most epic rains I have ever been out in. AND I have lived in the tropics where it rains all day every day in the rainy months.

I've seen a waterproof kilt - to wear instead of rain pants - the idea being that it is less sweaty. Would go well with a short poncho or a Packa. Here it is http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/cloudkilt.shtml

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Kanga I've seen those online. Actually, I'm not sure how I will go about it in the rain. I have an old pair of rain pants that I can slip on over leggings and just take the kilt off and stow it in my pack.

What Capt Buddy said. You know I was there in Sept/Oct 2012 too. Did we meet? AND I will bet there again this fall. How weird is that? Maybe we should meet.
Add me to the list of those who travelled in autumn of 2012 (SJPD sept. 6-Santiago oct.9, Finisterre oct.14). What you wear is so dependent on how you tolerate heat or cold. I tended to wear shorts and a t-shirt for the bulk of my walking, up until the last few days, starting off some mornings with a flannel shirt until the day warmed up. About three days out of Santiago it became much more rainy, so the raincoat was worn, but still shorts and t shirt, simply because I get way too warm in a rain coat. I think the main thing to remember is that you can't plan and pack for every eventuality (well, you CAN, but I wouldn't want to carry your backpack!). Take what you would feel comfortable wearing at home in the type of weather you expect on the Camino. If there's something that shows it's needed, buy it there.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.