• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations & advice welcome on the Leon - Santiago stretch

Edward Davey

Time of past OR future Camino
A 2-week honeymoon from Leon to Santiago from Friday 26 September to Saturday 11 October 2014...
My wife Davina and I are going on honeymoon to Santiago, starting in Leon on Friday 26 September, and arriving in Santiago, we hope, on Thursday 9th, in time for 24 hours relaxation by the sea before returning to London on Saturday 11th.

Grateful for any advice, large or small, in terms of where to stay ; where/if to take a rest day; particularly nice places to stay along the way; and a good place to rest by the sea following our arrival.

All good wishes and thanks from us both, and in the hope of meeting some of you en route...!

Edward Davey and Davina de Laszlo
London, 28th July 2014

1. Friday 26th
2. Saturday 27th
3. Sunday 28th
4. Monday 29th
5. Tuesday 30th
6. Wednesday 1st
7. Thursday 2nd
8. Friday 3rd
9. Saturday 4th
10. Sunday 5th
11. Monday 6th
12. Tuesday 7th
13. Wednesday 8th
14. Thursday 9th
15. Friday 10th

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Edward Davey,

Welcome to the Forum!

What a wonderful way for you and Davina to celebrate your life together!

You will find many tips and much helpful advice from fellow pilgrims in these various Forum topics and threads.

To start off be sure to scan what others and I have written in this recent thread re the section from Leon to Astorga

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Take a rest day when you need to but if you are feeling fit and have time in hand Astorga and Villafranca are pleasant towns though not worth spending as much time in as Santiago or Leon.

There are many small hotels along the section you are walking and on honeymoon these may be a better bet than the albergues, ones in Rabanal, Molinaseca, Villafranca, O Cebreiro and Portomarin spring to mind but do not be too set on a schedule.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Shalom and Greetings from Jerusalem!
Great idea Edward! I would start slowly, Leon is too beautiful to allow your enthusiasm to run down the Camino towards Santiago, allow the city a chance to walk around. The Gothic cathedral cannot be missed right there in the middle of everything. Do not however miss the Romanesque church Sant Isodoro and do take the tour (!) even if in Spanish - it is one of the most amazing places on the entire Camino. Between Hospital del Orbigo and Astorga you will meet David, he lives in a dilapidated barn which is falling down around his head and has a refreshment kiosk juice, coffee tea etc - one of the nicest people you will ever meet-he has been there now 3-4 years! Just before the village of Lobreiro, an unremarkable place except for the number of cafe/bars there, on the right-hand side you will see the first sign post marked Galicia - a joy for those who have walked from St Jean Pied de Port and beyond. The cities of Galicia Melide, Ribadiso, Arzua, Arca are - well - one should never say anything disparaging about the Camino - there are prettier places along the Camino so lower your expectations-the countryside is marvellous. You have a wonderful plan and I hope it works out for you both!

Last edited by a moderator:
What a nice honeymoon you're preparing. I'd like to contribute. I've done that part of the Camino a couple of times and I'll propose you a tentative itinerary. I supose that as long as you're in Honeymoon you deserve and need som privacy, so I'll state the Hotels/Hostels/ pensions that I've used and that I've personally liked.

Day 1 – Leon- Visit the wonderful Cathedral and don’t miss the Pantheon of the Kings at Saint Isidoro Church. It’s called the Sixtine Chapel of Spain due to the wonderful Romanesque paintings in the walls.

Day 2 - Leon- Villar de Mazarife- 22 kms. Easy and flat. You surely know there are two routes from Leon to Astorga. I always choose the more scenic country road sleeping the first day in Villar de Mazarife. The other route goes by the side of a busy road and is more stressing. In Villar you can sleep in Albergue Tio Pepe, a nice albergue with a couple of private rooms, quiet and clean. It has a nice patio to rest too.

Day 3 - Villar de Mazarife- Astorga- 29 kms. Easy too. Halfway in the day you will arrive to the wonderful Puente de Orbigo, the longest medieval bridge in Spain where the famous tournament of Suero de Quiñones was held (read about it, it’s a pure delight). From Hospital you can also choose two routes to Astorga. I’ll take the country road through Villares de Orbigo and Santibañez. Althought a little hilly and a little longer, it goes far from the road and through some nice pine forests. In Astorga you have a choice of different nice hotels. I’ve stayed in Hotel Ciudad de Astorga. It’s good and has a perfect location. Don’t miss the cathedral and the Gaudi Palace with the Pilgrim’s museum inside. And if you like sweets, don’t miss Mantecados, the typical Astorgan sweet. Really good. Be careful if you ask for a Cocido Maragato to eat. It’s really serious eating….

Day 4 - Astorga- Foncebadon- 26 Kms. Medium hard. You really have the choice of sleeping in Rabanal del Camino, a beautiful Camino town. But I prefer to walk 5 kms more and sleep in the ghost town of Foncebadon so the next day the walk to Ponferrada is shorter and I can enjoy the sunrise in the top of the mountains as I walk the 3 kms from Foncebadon to La Cruz de Hierro. Don’t miss the Cowboy bar in El Ganso (really curious and a perfect place to have a rest) and in Foncebadon you can sleep in El Convento de Foncebadon (nice and clean) and dine in a curious and nice “medieval style” restaurant called La Taberna de Gaia (right by the side of the hotel). Foncebadon it’s a real magical stop.

Day 5 - Foncebadón- Ponferrada- 26-Km. Medium –Hard. It’s my favourite stage of the whole way. The sunrise from Foncebadon is magic. Start early so you can reach the legendary Cruz de Hierro with the first lights. Don’t forget to bring a small stone from home to leave it at the Cross as millions of pilgrims have done before you. Visit in Manjarin the Templar Albergue; a nice place to rest and see and then appreciate the views of Ponferrada from te top of the mountains. Magic. Then begin the deep descend to Ponferrada crossing the nice towns of El Acebo and Molinaseca. Both are beautiful. The last stretch from Molinaseca to Ponferrada is tiring but once you reach Ponferrada don’t miss the incredible Templar castle. Something to be seen. In Ponferrada there are a lot of hotels, I like a nice (and expensive) hotel in the centre called Aroi Bierzo Plaza.

Day 6 - Ponferrada- Villafranca- 23 kms. Easy. You cross the whole Bierzo valley in one day, finishing in the very nice town of Villafranca with three magnificent churches and some very beautiful streets. There are a lot of hotels, including a Parador. I personally like the Hostal La Puerta del PerdĂłn, very nice and with a superb staff.

Day 7 - Villafranca- O’Cebreiro- 28 kms . 20 easy kms and 8 hard, hard, hard kms. You enter Galicia. It really deserves the effort. You go along the River Valcarce valley the first 20 kms in an easy walk, and then you climb the Cebreiro mountain. Difficult, specially the first 4 kms, but the view from the top of the mountain deserves it all. I like to sleep in the little village of O’Cebreiro (normally in Hotel O’Cebreiro or Hotel San Giraldo de Aurillac, both of the same property). Enjoy the whole small town; the church of the famous Cebreiro Miracle, the beautiful Pallozas, and (if the weather allows) don’t miss the wonderful sunset from the small hill above the Albergue (where some picnic tables are set). Perfect for a honeymoon¡¡¡.

Day 8 - O’Cebreiro- Triacastela. 21 kms. Medium-Easy. You descend to Galicia, but you have still to climb Alto del Poio, where a beautiful statue of a Pilgrim is. A nice walk. In Traicastela all you can do is rest. There are some Hostels. I’ve used Albergue Complexo Xacobeo, which has a small private room.

Day 9 - Triacastela- Sarria. 19 Kms through San Xil or 24 through Samos. I nice walk both ways. Lots of forests. The longest route goes through Samos, one of the earliest and biggest Spanish monasteries. It’s very nice. Sarria is a big town with all kind of services. I like Hotel Alfonso IX, big and very conveniently placed. You have to take an evening drink in the beautiful Paseo del Espolón, by the side of the river.

Day 10 - Sarria- PortomarĂ­n- 22 kms. Easy. (except for the first three kms out of Sarria). A very scenic walk. In the middle of the day you reach the sign of the last 100 kms to Santiago. Then you have to cross a big bridge to enter PortomarĂ­n. The church is beautiful . various hotels. I like La Posada de Portomarin. Very good and with magnificent views.

Day 11 - PortomarĂ­n- Palas de Rey. 25 kms. Easy. A nice walk approaching Santiago. In Palas I like Hotel casa Benilde. Not expensive, familiar, clean and well located.

Day 12- Palas de Rey – Arzua- 29 kms. Easy until you reach Melide. Then very tiring to Arzua. A long day. Stop halfway in Melide to try the famous Octopus (Casa Ezequiel is a good place to have it, and it’s just by the side of The Way, in the center of Melide). Save energies for the very tiring final stretch form Melide to Arzua, with three steep climbs. In Arzua I like to stay in Casa Teodora. Good hotel and superb and cheap restaurant.

Day 13 - Arzua- Lavacolla- 29 kms. Easy but long. Final kms. You can stop at Pedruzo, (19 kms from Arzua) but I always try to arrive to Lavacolla, 10 kms further, leaving a final short day to Santiago. That allows my to reach Santiago in my final day with time enough to assist to the Pilgrim’s mass at the Cathedral wich is held all days at noon.

If I stay in Pedrouzo I like Hotel O’Pino, If I stay in Lavacolla, Hotel Ruta Jacobea or the beautiful Pazo Xan Xordo.

Day 14 - Lavacolla- Santiago- 10 kms. Easy. TIP: When you reach Monte del Gozo, if you want to see the cathedral from there, you cannot do it from the hill in which the monument of Popo John Paul II is. In fact you have to go to a hill that is seen some 300 meters to the left of it and in which there’s a very nice monument representing two pilgrims. From there you can descend to the enormous albergue and rejoin the Way to enter Santiago. Once there you can book two tours that will give you a very different perspective of the cathedral. One allows you to access the roof of the cathedral and the other to the foundations of the cathedral and the excavations that are being mada there. Very nice and singuar both of them. (check at http://www.infomuseo.com/catedraldesantiago/espanol/individual/index.php?lng=en )
In Santiago I like Hotel As Artes, not expensive, very small and just 100 mtrs from the Cathedral. Very convenient to do sightseeing.

Day 15 - Finisterre. Day by the sea. You can take a Bus there or rent a car and see the sunset from the end of the world. It’s not pilgrimage, but it’s nice.

Hope it helps.

Think of "in-between stops" - smaller, not end of guide stages, for a more authentic Spanish experience and quieter time. For example Albergue Paloma y Lena in San Mamed have private rooms. Lovely place with large garden (even a double garden swing). Family run and they speak English. Very Friendly. Very good vegetarian only pilgrim menu. Stayed there last year, will again this September and highly recommend it. Have a great time planning and walking your marital camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Take a rest day when you need to but if you are feeling fit and have time in hand Astorga and Villafranca are pleasant towns though not worth spending as much time in as Santiago or Leon.

There are many small hotels along the section you are walking and on honeymoon these may be a better bet than the albergues, ones in Rabanal, Molinaseca, Villafranca, O Cebreiro and Portomarin spring to mind but do not be too set on a schedule.
Very many thanks -- good advice...

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Shalom and Greetings from Jerusalem!
Great idea Edward! I would start slowly, Leon is too beautiful to allow your enthusiasm to run down the Camino towards Santiago, allow the city a chance to walk around. The Gothic cathedral cannot be missed right there in the middle of everything. Do not however miss the Romanesque church Sant Isodoro and do take the tour (!) even if in Spanish - it is one of the most amazing places on the entire Camino. Between Hospital del Orbigo and Astorga you will meet David, he lives in a dilapidated barn which is falling down around his head and has a refreshment kiosk juice, coffee tea etc - one of the nicest people you will ever meet-he has been there now 3-4 years! Just before the village of Lobreiro, an unremarkable place except for the number of cafe/bars there, on the right-hand side you will see the first sign post marked Galicia - a joy for those who have walked from St Jean Pied de Port and beyond. The cities of Galicia Melide, Ribadiso, Arzua, Arca are - well - one should never say anything disparaging about the Camino - there are prettier places along the Camino so lower your expectations-the countryside is marvellous. You have a wonderful plan and I hope it works out for you both!
Very kind, thank you so much, and Shalom to you in Jerusalem too. All tips well noted...

What a nice honeymoon you're preparing. I'd like to contribute. I've done that part of the Camino a couple of times and I'll propose you a tentative itinerary. I supose that as long as you're in Honeymoon you deserve and need som privacy, so I'll state the Hotels/Hostels/ pensions that I've used and that I've personally liked.

Day 1 – Leon- Visit the wonderful Cathedral and don’t miss the Pantheon of the Kings at Saint Isidoro Church. It’s called the Sixtine Chapel of Spain due to the wonderful Romanesque paintings in the walls.

Day 2 - Leon- Villar de Mazarife- 22 kms. Easy and flat. You surely know there are two routes from Leon to Astorga. I always choose the more scenic country road sleeping the first day in Villar de Mazarife. The other route goes by the side of a busy road and is more stressing. In Villar you can sleep in Albergue Tio Pepe, a nice albergue with a couple of private rooms, quiet and clean. It has a nice patio to rest too.

Day 3 - Villar de Mazarife- Astorga- 29 kms. Easy too. Halfway in the day you will arrive to the wonderful Puente de Orbigo, the longest medieval bridge in Spain where the famous tournament of Suero de Quiñones was held (read about it, it’s a pure delight). From Hospital you can also choose two routes to Astorga. I’ll take the country road through Villares de Orbigo and Santibañez. Althought a little hilly and a little longer, it goes far from the road and through some nice pine forests. In Astorga you have a choice of different nice hotels. I’ve stayed in Hotel Ciudad de Astorga. It’s good and has a perfect location. Don’t miss the cathedral and the Gaudi Palace with the Pilgrim’s museum inside. And if you like sweets, don’t miss Mantecados, the typical Astorgan sweet. Really good. Be careful if you ask for a Cocido Maragato to eat. It’s really serious eating….

Day 4 - Astorga- Foncebadon- 26 Kms. Medium hard. You really have the choice of sleeping in Rabanal del Camino, a beautiful Camino town. But I prefer to walk 5 kms more and sleep in the ghost town of Foncebadon so the next day the walk to Ponferrada is shorter and I can enjoy the sunrise in the top of the mountains as I walk the 3 kms from Foncebadon to La Cruz de Hierro. Don’t miss the Cowboy bar in El Ganso (really curious and a perfect place to have a rest) and in Foncebadon you can sleep in El Convento de Foncebadon (nice and clean) and dine in a curious and nice “medieval style” restaurant called La Taberna de Gaia (right by the side of the hotel). Foncebadon it’s a real magical stop.

Day 5 - Foncebadón- Ponferrada- 26-Km. Medium –Hard. It’s my favourite stage of the whole way. The sunrise from Foncebadon is magic. Start early so you can reach the legendary Cruz de Hierro with the first lights. Don’t forget to bring a small stone from home to leave it at the Cross as millions of pilgrims have done before you. Visit in Manjarin the Templar Albergue; a nice place to rest and see and then appreciate the views of Ponferrada from te top of the mountains. Magic. Then begin the deep descend to Ponferrada crossing the nice towns of El Acebo and Molinaseca. Both are beautiful. The last stretch from Molinaseca to Ponferrada is tiring but once you reach Ponferrada don’t miss the incredible Templar castle. Something to be seen. In Ponferrada there are a lot of hotels, I like a nice (and expensive) hotel in the centre called Aroi Bierzo Plaza.

Day 6 - Ponferrada- Villafranca- 23 kms. Easy. You cross the whole Bierzo valley in one day, finishing in the very nice town of Villafranca with three magnificent churches and some very beautiful streets. There are a lot of hotels, including a Parador. I personally like the Hostal La Puerta del PerdĂłn, very nice and with a superb staff.

Day 7 - Villafranca- O’Cebreiro- 28 kms . 20 easy kms and 8 hard, hard, hard kms. You enter Galicia. It really deserves the effort. You go along the River Valcarce valley the first 20 kms in an easy walk, and then you climb the Cebreiro mountain. Difficult, specially the first 4 kms, but the view from the top of the mountain deserves it all. I like to sleep in the little village of O’Cebreiro (normally in Hotel O’Cebreiro or Hotel San Giraldo de Aurillac, both of the same property). Enjoy the whole small town; the church of the famous Cebreiro Miracle, the beautiful Pallozas, and (if the weather allows) don’t miss the wonderful sunset from the small hill above the Albergue (where some picnic tables are set). Perfect for a honeymoon¡¡¡.

Day 8 - O’Cebreiro- Triacastela. 21 kms. Medium-Easy. You descend to Galicia, but you have still to climb Alto del Poio, where a beautiful statue of a Pilgrim is. A nice walk. In Traicastela all you can do is rest. There are some Hostels. I’ve used Albergue Complexo Xacobeo, which has a small private room.

Day 9 - Triacastela- Sarria. 19 Kms through San Xil or 24 through Samos. I nice walk both ways. Lots of forests. The longest route goes through Samos, one of the earliest and biggest Spanish monasteries. It’s very nice. Sarria is a big town with all kind of services. I like Hotel Alfonso IX, big and very conveniently placed. You have to take an evening drink in the beautiful Paseo del Espolón, by the side of the river.

Day 10 - Sarria- PortomarĂ­n- 22 kms. Easy. (except for the first three kms out of Sarria). A very scenic walk. In the middle of the day you reach the sign of the last 100 kms to Santiago. Then you have to cross a big bridge to enter PortomarĂ­n. The church is beautiful . various hotels. I like La Posada de Portomarin. Very good and with magnificent views.

Day 11 - PortomarĂ­n- Palas de Rey. 25 kms. Easy. A nice walk approaching Santiago. In Palas I like Hotel casa Benilde. Not expensive, familiar, clean and well located.

Day 12- Palas de Rey – Arzua- 29 kms. Easy until you reach Melide. Then very tiring to Arzua. A long day. Stop halfway in Melide to try the famous Octopus (Casa Ezequiel is a good place to have it, and it’s just by the side of The Way, in the center of Melide). Save energies for the very tiring final stretch form Melide to Arzua, with three steep climbs. In Arzua I like to stay in Casa Teodora. Good hotel and superb and cheap restaurant.

Day 13 - Arzua- Lavacolla- 29 kms. Easy but long. Final kms. You can stop at Pedruzo, (19 kms from Arzua) but I always try to arrive to Lavacolla, 10 kms further, leaving a final short day to Santiago. That allows my to reach Santiago in my final day with time enough to assist to the Pilgrim’s mass at the Cathedral wich is held all days at noon.

If I stay in Pedrouzo I like Hotel O’Pino, If I stay in Lavacolla, Hotel Ruta Jacobea or the beautiful Pazo Xan Xordo.

Day 14 - Lavacolla- Santiago- 10 kms. Easy. TIP: When you reach Monte del Gozo, if you want to see the cathedral from there, you cannot do it from the hill in which the monument of Popo John Paul II is. In fact you have to go to a hill that is seen some 300 meters to the left of it and in which there’s a very nice monument representing two pilgrims. From there you can descend to the enormous albergue and rejoin the Way to enter Santiago. Once there you can book two tours that will give you a very different perspective of the cathedral. One allows you to access the roof of the cathedral and the other to the foundations of the cathedral and the excavations that are being mada there. Very nice and singuar both of them. (check at http://www.infomuseo.com/catedraldesantiago/espanol/individual/index.php?lng=en )
In Santiago I like Hotel As Artes, not expensive, very small and just 100 mtrs from the Cathedral. Very convenient to do sightseeing.

Day 15 - Finisterre. Day by the sea. You can take a Bus there or rent a car and see the sunset from the end of the world. It’s not pilgrimage, but it’s nice.

Hope it helps.

How incredibly kind. Thank you so much. All points noted and we will take this as our core base and follow your recommendations. And report back! Every good wish and thank you again, Edward

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Think of "in-between stops" - smaller, not end of guide stages, for a more authentic Spanish experience and quieter time. For example Albergue Paloma y Lena in San Mamed have private rooms. Lovely place with large garden (even a double garden swing). Family run and they speak English. Very Friendly. Very good vegetarian only pilgrim menu. Stayed there last year, will again this September and highly recommend it. Have a great time planning and walking your marital camino.

All thanks. Good advice and good recommendations. Very grateful to you and all. What a wonderful online community this is!

Hi Everyone!

This is my itinerary for my wife and I in March of 2015. If anyone is able to critique it I would be forever grateful! My wife has wanted to walk the Camino for decades but, because of work commitments, we can only walk half of it this time. I'm trying to do as much research as I can to ensure it will be a positive experience for her. That's why I'm keeping the stages fairly short too.

First is the name of the town that I've scheduled a stop in. In parenthesis is the hotel/albergue that we'll hopefully stay at. I've done as much checking as possible to ensure that the hotel/albergue will be open in March. Sometimes I get different info from different websites. Oh well, what will be, will be!

We'll leave Leon on March 5th (my wife's birthday). Anyways, here we go!

Leon (Hotel Tryp) go to La Virgen del Camino. Check out the Cathedral.
Mazarife - (Meson Albergue Tio Pepe) - 21 kms
Hospital de Orbigo - (Albergue Verde) - 15 kms
Murias de Rechivaldo (The Hostel The Aguendes) - 21 kms
Foncebadon - (Albergue de Monte Irago) - 22 kms
Molinaseca - (Albergue Santa Marina) - 20 kms
Cacabelos - (Albergue de Peregrinos de la Augustina de Cacabelos) - 23 kms
Trabadelo - (Albergue Crispeta) - 17 kms
Hospital de Condesa (Albergue de Hospital de la Condesa) - 24 kms
Samos - (Hostel Samos Monastery) - 25 kms
Barbadelo - (Casa Barbadelo) - 19 kms
Portomarin - (Albergue Ferramentiero) - 19 kms
Lestedo - (Rectoral de Lestedo) - 20 kms
Melide - (Albergue Vilela)- 20 kms
Arzua - (Casa de Amancio) - 15 kms
A Rua - (Hotel O Pino) - 18 kms
Santiago de Compostela - (Hotel Compostela) - 21 kms

Again, if you're able to offer any advice I would be so thankful!

Buen Camino!

Ron

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, you are going very early and definitely pre-season to start with. I am sure that you have researched and arrived at appropriate stage lengths/difficulties appropriate for yourselves so I won't comment on that. Just to get the ball rolling (and trust me it will roll!):)
In march you need to think hard about getting your clothes dried.
At that time of year you will need to be even more careful of the descents, especially when you are tiring on the one from the Cruz!
Foncebadon - Three of our group stayed at the Albergue de Monte Irago and when we had the meal there last year we found it less than good. Two of our Camino family ate at the bar across the road (not the hotel) and waxed lyrical about their meal.

My wife Davina and I are going on honeymoon to Santiago, starting in Leon on Friday 26 September, and arriving in Santiago, we hope, on Thursday 9th, in time for 24 hours relaxation by the sea before returning to London on Saturday 11th.

Grateful for any advice, large or small, in terms of where to stay ; where/if to take a rest day; particularly nice places to stay along the way; and a good place to rest by the sea following our arrival.

All good wishes and thanks from us both, and in the hope of meeting some of you en route...!

Edward Davey and Davina de Laszlo
London, 28th July 2014

1. Friday 26th
2. Saturday 27th
3. Sunday 28th
4. Monday 29th
5. Tuesday 30th
6. Wednesday 1st
7. Thursday 2nd
8. Friday 3rd
9. Saturday 4th
10. Sunday 5th
11. Monday 6th
12. Tuesday 7th
13. Wednesday 8th
14. Thursday 9th
15. Friday 10th

How wonderful!! As it is your honeymoon, you could treat yourself to a delightful start in Leon by staying at the Parador. We did and really loved it - the historic pilgrimage aspect of it (including the medieval-books library) and the beauty of the building. (We were recovering from injury and decided to stay there for that reason and it did us so much good that we went on our way happily from there).
In Santiago we stayed at a family hotel that I would recommend - Costa Vella. We found it through John Brierley's guidebook and we just loved everything about it.
Enjoy this great start to your married life.
Maggie Ramsay
(The Italian Camino - Amazon)

Edward,
You don't say where your return flight leaves from.
If it's Santiago, I'd suggest taking a 40 minute train journey to A Coruna for your day by the sea. Stay in the Hotel Riazor or the Melia Maria Pita, both of which are on the beach and have spectacular views.
Take a walk around the city, passing by Hercules Tower lighthouse and enjoy some fab tapas on Calle Barreira.
Trains leave Santiago for A Coruna every hour.
Have fun!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Everyone!

This is my itinerary for my wife and I in March of 2015. If anyone is able to critique it I would be forever grateful! My wife has wanted to walk the Camino for decades but, because of work commitments, we can only walk half of it this time. I'm trying to do as much research as I can to ensure it will be a positive experience for her. That's why I'm keeping the stages fairly short too.

First is the name of the town that I've scheduled a stop in. In parenthesis is the hotel/albergue that we'll hopefully stay at. I've done as much checking as possible to ensure that the hotel/albergue will be open in March. Sometimes I get different info from different websites. Oh well, what will be, will be!

We'll leave Leon on March 5th (my wife's birthday). Anyways, here we go!

Leon (Hotel Tryp) go to La Virgen del Camino. Check out the Cathedral.
Mazarife - (Meson Albergue Tio Pepe) - 21 kms
Hospital de Orbigo - (Albergue Verde) - 15 kms
Murias de Rechivaldo (The Hostel The Aguendes) - 21 kms
Foncebadon - (Albergue de Monte Irago) - 22 kms
Molinaseca - (Albergue Santa Marina) - 20 kms
Cacabelos - (Albergue de Peregrinos de la Augustina de Cacabelos) - 23 kms
Trabadelo - (Albergue Crispeta) - 17 kms
Hospital de Condesa (Albergue de Hospital de la Condesa) - 24 kms
Samos - (Hostel Samos Monastery) - 25 kms
Barbadelo - (Casa Barbadelo) - 19 kms
Portomarin - (Albergue Ferramentiero) - 19 kms
Lestedo - (Rectoral de Lestedo) - 20 kms
Melide - (Albergue Vilela)- 20 kms
Arzua - (Casa de Amancio) - 15 kms
A Rua - (Hotel O Pino) - 18 kms
Santiago de Compostela - (Hotel Compostela) - 21 kms

Again, if you're able to offer any advice I would be so thankful!

Buen Camino!

Ron
From your photo it looks like you are a relatively young couple. My dad (77 years old) and I walked the Camino in September 2012 from SJPP to Santiago. We walked a minimum of 28 km per day and found that we still had plenty of time each day to wash clothes, shower, write journal entries, visit with fellow pilgrims, and a myriad of other items. Your longest leg is just shy of 15 miles. I am concerned that you will arrive in your destination on many of these days very early and find yourself with plenty of energy and desire to continue on. All of your listed stops have something to offer. However, some of them might be worth walking through.

My advice (and it's just advice) is to make some good ground on your early legs and take it easy on the later ones. The last thing you want is to have a hiccup caused by weather, terrain, or injury to keep you from your destination.

Ambition or making good time are not concepts that are included in my caminos.:)

Obviously, everyone is different...

Thanks for the advice Depot7!
There's a few reasons that our stages are fairly light. We're really trying to "see Spain" rather than walk through it. I have a list of interesting sights that are near to our route and we'll check out most of them. Also, the time of year that we're walking could make things interesting. I have a list of Albergues that are listed as "open" when we'll arrive in a particular town. I've contacted most of them via email to ensure that they're open but a lot of them want me to check back in January. So we may arrive in a town and it could take a while to find somewhere that's open. Then there's the possibility of snow on the upper passes (O Cobriera?) etc.
I'm just trying to build in lots of time "just in case". :)
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back