• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Redondela to Pontevdra: Alternative Route?

Charrito

Veteran Member
I've walked this stretch twice and don't remember seeing this apparently nice little detour along the River Tomeza, five or six kilometres before getting into Pontevedra.

2.5 kms later reach the outskirts of Pontevedra at the Capela de
Santa Marta, Tomeza on your Right. 2.5 kms (173.5/240.5 kms)
Follow waymarks along a straight road passing a play area on your Right
with three modern sculptures: a hórreo, a scallop shell with the cross of
Santiago and a figure representing Christ, Santiago and Our Lady the
Pilgrim. [Pilgrims report there is an alternative here to avoid some road
walking. At the red sign to your Left, before the play area, turn Left and
walk along the river. It emerges just beyond the roundabout and bridge
mentioned in the next paragraph]

Has anyone else walked this?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've walked this stretch twice and don't remember seeing this apparently nice little detour along the River Tomeza, five or six kilometres before getting into Pontevedra.

2.5 kms later reach the outskirts of Pontevedra at the Capela de
Santa Marta, Tomeza on your Right. 2.5 kms (173.5/240.5 kms)
Follow waymarks along a straight road passing a play area on your Right
with three modern sculptures: a hórreo, a scallop shell with the cross of
Santiago and a figure representing Christ, Santiago and Our Lady the
Pilgrim. [Pilgrims report there is an alternative here to avoid some road
walking. At the red sign to your Left, before the play area, turn Left and
walk along the river. It emerges just beyond the roundabout and bridge
mentioned in the next paragraph]

Has anyone else walked this?

I don't remember this at all :confused: Where did you get that information?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
More information:

Dado que la última parte de la etapa es bastante pesada por los kilómetros de asfalto, algunos peregrinos ya han
tomado un recorrido alternativo que progresa por un sendero sombrío a la vera del río Tomeza y llega hasta las
inmediaciones del albergue de Pontevedra. En el quiosco de Bértola, un kilómetro antes de llegar a la capilla de
Santa Marta, nos pueden indicar cómo llegar hasta este sendero.

I've translated it as:

Given that the last part of the stage is quite boring due to having to cover various kilometres on tarmacked roads, some pilgrims have now opted for an alternative route which follows a shady footpath along the banks of the River Tomeza and brings you out just by the Albergue in Pontevedra. Information about how to join this route is available at the Bértola Kiosk, just one kilometre before you get to the Chapel of Santa Marta.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
More information:

Dado que la última parte de la etapa es bastante pesada por los kilómetros de asfalto, algunos peregrinos ya han
tomado un recorrido alternativo que progresa por un sendero sombrío a la vera del río Tomeza y llega hasta las
inmediaciones del albergue de Pontevedra. En el quiosco de Bértola, un kilómetro antes de llegar a la capilla de
Santa Marta, nos pueden indicar cómo llegar hasta este sendero.

I've translated it as:

Given that the last part of the stage is quite boring due to having to cover various kilometres on tarmacked roads, some pilgrims have now opted for an alternative route which follows a shady footpath along the banks of the River Tomeza and brings you out just by the Albergue in Pontevedra. Information about how to join this route is available at the Bértola Kiosk, just one kilometre before you get to the Chapel of Santa Marta.
Interesting .. Maybe your mentioned detour connects directly to the ruta de Salnés ,another detour westwards of Pontevedra.to Vilanova de Arousa and on by ship to Padrón. I am intending to walk that detour next year.
On this blog somewhere I saw a hotel being advertised, situated at theRio Tomeza which offers pickup services for pilgrims . Enough material to figuere out now for next year
Thanks for sharing

Albertinho:

This detour is south of Pontevedra (the last few kilometres).

La Ruta do Salnés starts in Pontevedra and actually follows the normal Camino Portugués for a few kilometres after crossing the Puente de O Burgo, before heading westwards towards Poio.

It looks like a really nice route, divided into a couple of stages, but from my knowledge of the area there will be lots of steep stretches. It's a great wine-producing area, especially around Ribadumia.

Albertinho:

This detour is south of Pontevedra (the last few kilometres).

La Ruta do Salnés starts in Pontevedra and actually follows the normal Camino Portugués for a few kilometres after crossing the Puente de O Burgo, before heading westwards towards Poio.

It looks like a really nice route, divided into a couple of stages, but from my knowledge of the area there will be lots of steep stretches. It's a great wine-producing area, especially around Ribadumia.
I will do some research some later but with the experience of the camiño Ingles I think this must be doable

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will do some research some later but with the experience of the camiño Ingles I think this must be doable

As I'll be doing the Portugués (again!) in a few days' time, I'll see what information I can find. I'll also take photos of where the O Salnés route leaves the Camino.

Check out this video, which shows just how beautiful this route is (in Spanish, but the scenery speaks for itself):

http://www.religionenlibertad.com/articulo.asp?idarticulo=36057

Last edited:
As I'll be doing the Portugués (again!) in a few days' time, I'll see what information I can find. I'll also take photos of where the O Salnés route leaves the Camino.
That will be great if you can do for all who are interested in this detour.

I wish you bom caminho
Um abraço disso lado do mundo

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I allready tried to get some feedback on a thread about this item Charrito ,but no reaction.
Anyway the link you mention is very interesting and I am going to do some research
Thanks for sharing this link
Um abraço

I know the area really well from many trips up there, and have driven along the coast road (all the way to O Grove and La Toja), up into the hills around Ribadumia, down to Cambados and Arousa (Vilanova, Vilagarcia and across the bridge to the fantastic Illa de Arousa), but the route has an awful lot of ups and downs. The views of the Ría de Pontevedra from some of the 'miradores' is amazing, but by the time you get up there you'll be shattered!

The beaches are fantastic, especially La Lanzada.

I am DEFINITELY up for this (and/or the Caminho do Mar from Ribadeo) next year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have walked that diversion, and it is an absolutely gorgeous winding path by the river, and it is also kept in beautiful condition, do not miss the turn and follow this route! You can ask at the kiosk with a cool beer in your hand...

I have walked that diversion, and it is an absolutely gorgeous winding path by the river, and it is also kept in beautiful condition, do not miss the turn and follow this route! You can ask at the kiosk with a cool beer in your hand...

Thanks! I'll post on here next Sunday after walking along this river route.

You can ask at the kiosk with a cool beer in your hand...
I did not take this detour my last CP...that said, I really like the Capela da Santa Marta, quaint and moving. When I went to insert my sello, the ink pad was dry. I fixed that by licking the pad.:p Actually, I squeezed some grapes on the pad...worked great!
Now, the fellow with the bier...that convinces me already.;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did not take this detour my last CP...that said, I really like the Capela da Santa Marta, quaint and moving. When I went to insert my sello, the ink pad was dry. I fixed that by licking the pad.:p Actually, I squeezed some grapes on the pad...worked great!
Now, the fellow with the bier...that convinces me already.;)

I seem to remember having the same problem with the dry inkpad last year, but I breathed heavily on it and got a fairly legible stamp!

The problem with having a beer at this kiosk is very enticing, but I'm walking with my wife and she'll probably complain if it's too early. Having said that, and looking at the weather forecast, I am CERTAINLY having a beer! Or several!

Oh, and just to say, I read through that website that was posted here before but the blog was written a year ago and since then many things have changed, for example the fact that there is good waymarking. So personally I wouldn't suggest following that.

Going back to the original title of this thread, here are a couple of photos of this alternative route for the last few kilometres into Pontevedra. It avoids three kilometres or so of road walking and is a beautiful winding path along the river. Turn left at waypost 68.5 (you might want to walk a hundred yards or so further to get your own stamp in the Chapel, then walk back), walk down the road to a small bridge and turn right along the river path.

It's a winding path, with rickety bridges and lots of tree roots to be careful not to trip over, but the day we did it the shade provided really helped.Summer2014+Camino 257.JPG Summer2014+Camino 260.JPG

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back