• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Run out of training time :-(

Gillyweb

Time of past OR future Camino
Villafranca - Santiago (2013)
SJPP - Santiago (2014)
Portugues (2017)
So .... I leave on Sunday and life has been so stupidly busy that I'm nowhere near as prepared or fit as I was last year when I walked the last 120 miles. Am I mad starting in SJPP ? - I've got really nervous now.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My first Camino? I was a registered couch potato 64 years old, no Spanish, no real expectations, no conception of what was waiting for me. Two weeks later I could 30 kilometers a day, with a huff and a puff for sure but if I wanted I could. The Camino will soon fix any of your supposed physical problems. You have already made the important bit of training, the decision to set out, all the rest is easy. Start slowly, set realistic personal daily goals, and above all enjoy yourself, six/seven weeks later you will find yourself in Santiago.

I was in Spain 24 hours after deciding to go. I did no training (reasonably fit generally). It took me a day to find my legs and pace, another day to get used to the pack. So more than likely, you'll hurt for a couple of days. After that I gradually built my pace, endurance and strength.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Am I mad starting in SJPP ? - I've got really nervous now.
Being a bit mad probably helps, provided you understand that you will need to be a bit gentler on yourself in the first week or so. You might also want to take a shorter first day from SJPP. There are options on both routes to stay overnight rather than try for Roncevalles in one hit. I know that I will be doing that next time I walk the CF from SJPP.

You might also want to take a shorter first day from SJPP. There are options on both routes to stay overnight rather than try for Roncevalles in one hit. I know that I will be doing that next time I walk the CF from SJPP.
I've booked into Orisson realising that I can't start off the way I did last year when I did Villafranca del Bierzo to La Faba on the first day and felt fine. I guess I just have to be really sensible and take my time ......

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My first Camino? I was a registered couch potato 64 years old, no Spanish, no real expectations, no conception of what was waiting for me. Two weeks later I could 30 kilometers a day, with a huff and a puff for sure but if I wanted I could. The Camino will soon fix any of your supposed physical problems. You have already made the important bit of training, the decision to set out, all the rest is easy. Start slowly, set realistic personal daily goals, and above all enjoy yourself, six/seven weeks later you will find yourself in Santiago.

Thank you, scruffy1, as you helped me immensely.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've booked into Orisson realising that I can't start off the way I did last year when I did Villafranca del Bierzo to La Faba on the first day and felt fine. I guess I just have to be really sensible and take my time ......

That's it Gillyweb, you've hit the nail on the head. Take your time. A week into my Camino I realised you can't train "for" a Camino, but you can get yourself ready to start and walk "into" fitness. It might help you if I tell you that regardless of how far I had walked, how I felt or where I was at the time, every two hours or so, my boots and socks came off for about 15 minutes. I am sure that was the best thing I did for myself during the whole 910 Km's. No blisters, no more aches and pains than I would normally have and enjoyed every step along The Way.
Buen Camino

That's it Gillyweb, you've hit the nail on the head. Take your time. A week into my Camino I realised you can't train "for" a Camino, but you can get yourself ready to start and walk "into" fitness. It might help you if I tell you that regardless of how far I had walked, how I felt or where I was at the time, every two hours or so, my boots and socks came off for about 15 minutes. I am sure that was the best thing I did for myself during the whole 910 Km's. No blisters, no more aches and pains than I would normally have and enjoyed every step along The Way.
Buen Camino
So I'm now in Ventosa..... Been a tough week, but actually really great. Loved crossing the Pyrenees, Orisson was fabulous and have plodded at my own sort of pace. Hit the wall in Logrono yesterday though with serious pain in feet and a slightly sore knee. Seem to have thrown it off today though, after a bout of tears and rather a lot of painkillers and am now sitting in a little bit of paradise that is the fabulous San Saturnino Albergue in Ventosa. Definitely an Albergue worth a visit if you can't quite get from Logrono to Najera in one hit.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
am now sitting in a little bit of paradise that is the fabulous San Saturnino Albergue in Ventosa. Definitely an Albergue worth a visit if you can't quite get from Logrono to Najera in one hit.
That albergue is the central mailing address for the Red Albergue system. The hospitalera makes her own herb arujo (hierbas de arujo). Spend a few Euro and try some. When they had volunteer hospitaleros, dinner could be a tasty and festive event. Now it is more an intense competition for the stove and pots than an event. If the restaurant up the hill is still open, its food is the best in town. The bar/cafe at the town entrance is unimaginative. Bus service only goes back to Logrono, so you are pretty much committed to foot travel to Najera. On the way in, look for the battle site for Roldan and the giant Moor, Ferragut! The sign will tell you that Ferragut had a two meter nose span, a large nose by anyone's standard...

So I'm now in Ventosa..... Been a tough week, but actually really great. Loved crossing the Pyrenees, Orisson was fabulous and have plodded at my own sort of pace. Hit the wall in Logrono yesterday though with serious pain in feet and a slightly sore knee. Seem to have thrown it off today though, after a bout of tears and rather a lot of painkillers and am now sitting in a little bit of paradise that is the fabulous San Saturnino Albergue in Ventosa. Definitely an Albergue worth a visit if you can't quite get from Logrono to Najera in one hit.

Well done Gillyweb. I think I understand what you mean by a tough week.

Wonder what the pain in your feet was? Carrying too much? Walking to fast? Just getting used to it? I guess the knee is something connected with your feet ( other than physically I mean), and it seems like you are not too concerned about it.

Don't worry or be embarrassed by tears, most of us shed a tear or two for a variety of reasons.

Love your time there my friend. I envy you and wish I was back there walking with you. Please try find the time to keep your updates coming,,,,,,,,,,,,, but don't sweat it.

Buen Camino

Well done Gillyweb. I think I understand what you mean by a tough week.

Wonder what the pain in your feet was? Carrying too much? Walking to fast? Just getting used to it? I guess the knee is something connected with your feet ( other than physically I mean), and it seems like you are not too concerned about it.

Don't worry or be embarrassed by tears, most of us shed a tear or two for a variety of reasons.

Love your time there my friend. I envy you and wish I was back there walking with you. Please try find the time to keep your updates coming,,,,,,,,,,,,, but don't sweat it.

Buen Camino
Just had a rest day in Burgos. Lack of training has shown in sore knees, feet and ankles and I guess I've been feeling a little - ok, very !! - inadequate. Pack was too heavy even though it was only 7k so I'm posting stuff on tomorrow. Also said goodbye to the 'Camino family' I've been walking with and resolved that as I hit the Meseta it is time to be alone and walk on my own for a while. I hadn't realised until a couple of days ago that I was walking other people's Camino not my own and that has taken it's toll both physically and emotionally. However I feel better for a day off, a bath (cheap hotel has seemed like heaven) and a little thinking space. So now I hope I am fired up and ready for phase two. Just praying that my still rather sore left knee and ankle are fired up and ready too.
Would I prefer not to be here in spite of the pain and tears ? Of course not..... It's still the most amazing thing I've ever started and intend to finish.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just had a rest day in Burgos. Lack of training has shown in sore knees, feet and ankles and I guess I've been feeling a little - ok, very !! - inadequate. Pack was too heavy even though it was only 7k so I'm posting stuff on tomorrow. Also said goodbye to the 'Camino family' I've been walking with and resolved that as I hit the Meseta it is time to be alone and walk on my own for a while. I hadn't realised until a couple of days ago that I was walking other people's Camino not my own and that has taken it's toll both physically and emotionally. However I feel better for a day off, a bath (cheap hotel has seemed like heaven) and a little thinking space. So now I hope I am fired up and ready for phase two. Just praying that my still rather sore left knee and ankle are fired up and ready too.
Would I prefer not to be here in spite of the pain and tears ? Of course not..... It's still the most amazing thing I've ever started and intend to finish.

Inadequate?
Goodness me Gillyweb!
Simply look back on what you have done so far, the wisdom of your decision and your attitude.
There's no inadequacy there my friend, just learning and acceptance.
Your Camino is starting again and I wish you well.
Buen Camino

John, Thank you for those kind and supportive words. You don't quite know what they meant to me at the moment I found them. I did take time to look backwards to see where I had come from and was greatly encouraged. I left Burgos on late Monday afternoon, deliberately letting my final companion go on ahead at 6am and am now in Fromista. In Rabé de la Calzadas I was curiously drawn to the Óspital Santa Maria y Santiago rather than the Albergue and had a quiet but wonderfully blessed time. Feeling refreshed I have had greater physical strength and cheer and have enjoyed my path so much more. I don't even care that a couple of blisters have finally appeared......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
So .... I leave on Sunday and life has been so stupidly busy that I'm nowhere near as prepared or fit as I was last year when I walked the last 120 miles. Am I mad starting in SJPP ? - I've got really nervous now.
Please relax and take it easy - especially the first few days. You'll do just fine. If you take the Napoleon route, you should have made reservation at Orisson by now. Buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did take time to look backwards to see where I had come from and was greatly encouraged. I left Burgos on late Monday afternoon, deliberately letting my final companion go on ahead at 6am and am now in Fromista. In Rabé de la Calzadas I was curiously drawn to the Óspital Santa Marina y Santiago rather than the Albergue and had a quiet but wonderfully blessed time. Feeling refreshed I have had greater physical strength and cheer and have enjoyed my path so much more. I don't even care that a couple of blisters have finally appeared......
Continue to find strength, and continue to heal. We are with you!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.