• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP September 25

Tamar's camino

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2014 starting in SJPP walking solo :)
Hello everybody !

I'm arriving in Madrid on the morning of September 25 from Palm beach florida. This will be my first time...soooo excited!
I still don't know how I will or should get to SJPP from there. I thought I need to get to Bayonne first but I see also Pamplona as an option, so I'm a bit confused..
Is anyone arriving in Madrid on that day? Or is anyone starting the camino from SJPP on or around September 26-27 ?
Any suggestions ?

Thank you guys! Bien camino:)

T

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It depends on your schedule if you are better off going via Pamplona or via Bayonne.

There are but two buses daily (1430 and 1730) from Pamplona to SJPdP. This service is (so far) only scheduled to operate till 30 September. The bus company is Conda but the schedule is posted on ALSA site (ALSA owns Conda). Use the International tab for the section from Pamplona to SJPdP

ALSA
http://www.alsa.es/en/

SNCF TER currently has 4 or 5 trains from Bayonne to SJPdP daily (with bus connections at Cambo les Bains due to track washout). The last train usually leaves 1806 except Friday and Sunday when it leaves 2110.

SNCF TER (choose TER 62)
http://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine/depliant/recherche

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I like the Pamplona-SJPP route using the bus from Pamplona to SJPP. Details already posted here.

If you have an early arrival in Madrid, you can get to Pamplona in time for the last SJPP bus, but that's a long day of travel including your flight into Madrid.

Bus or train from Madrid Airport to Pamplona is easy.

I also recommend the IBIS Hotel near Madrid Airport for a first or last overnight.

Supermarket in same complex and an Orange store nearby if you want to get a Spanish cell phone SIM.

Hello everybody !

I'm arriving in Madrid on the morning of September 25 from Palm beach florida. This will be my first time...soooo excited!
I still don't know how I will or should get to SJPP from there. I thought I need to get to Bayonne first but I see also Pamplona as an option, so I'm a bit confused..
Is anyone arriving in Madrid on that day? Or is anyone starting the camino from SJPP on or around September 26-27 ?
Any suggestions ?

Thank you guys! Bien camino:)

T

My wife and are flying into Madrid , coming from Arkansas via Chicago arriving on the 24th @ 7am-ish then taking a taxi directly to SJPP .Already have the taxi reserved . If you arrived on the 24th we would happily accept an additional passenger to share the trip as it is pricey but not so much more than the alternate routes . 5 hrs total. Gives us some kickback time before heading out on the 26th

My wife and are flying into Madrid , coming from Arkansas via Chicago arriving on the 24th @ 7am-ish then taking a taxi directly to SJPP .Already have the taxi reserved . If you arrived on the 24th we would happily accept an additional passenger to share the trip as it is pricey but not so much more than the alternate routes . 5 hrs total. Gives us some kickback time before heading out on the 26th

That's so nice, but I'm arriving on the 25 in the morning:)
I guess I'll try to catch a train to Pamplona and then on to SJPP , not sure but I might need to take a break in between and get some sleep..
Thank you for your kind offer ! I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you so much to you all!

What is the difference between going to Pamplona vs. Bayonne ? How are the train rides?
I see the there are a few options.. Train, bus, taxi ( expensive ) . From your experience , what did you like most?

Thanks again :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you so much to you all!

What is the difference between going to Pamplona vs. Bayonne ? How are the train rides?
I see the there are a few options.. Train, bus, taxi ( expensive ) . From your experience , what did you like most?

Thanks again :)

The main differences are the border crossing and frequency of Service.

Renfe and SNCF trains operate on a different gauge so there is a transfer required at Irun or Hendaye. Some Renfe trains terminate at Irun and others at Hendaye. SNCF TGV trains start at Irun while SNCF TER trains start at Hendaye. There is an Euskotren commuter line to connect if your Renfe train terminates at Irun and the next SNCF train leaves from Hendaye.

There is frequent train service to Pamplona. Some schedules require a transfer at Zaragosa.

There are not many bus companies that provide cross border service. Most buses from Madrid go to San Sebastian, the closest Spanish city to the border though some continue to Irun Renfe Station. There are many options to get from San Sebastian to Irun including Euskotren (which terminates at Hendaye), Renfe trains, and buses including local buses. There is limited bus service from San Sebastian to Bayonne. There is frequent bus service from Hendaye to Bayonne.

There is bus service from Madrid to Pamplona. There is usually a transfer at either Soria or Zaragosa.

ALSA buses to San Sebastian and Pamplona depart from Madrid Avenida de America. Some buses stop at Madrid Airport T4.

The San Sebastian airport is located 3 km from Irun Renfe Station.

There is an airport at Pamplona.

I've not traveled from Madrid to either Pamplona or Bayonne. I have had occasion to travel in Spain by bus and train. I prefer trains, they are faster and more comfortable. The bus system is good too; they are clean and they run on time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The main differences are the border crossing and frequency of Service.

Renfe and SNCF trains operate on a different gauge so there is a transfer required at Irun or Hendaye. Some Renfe trains terminate at Irun and others at Hendaye. SNCF TGV trains start at Irun while SNCF TER trains start at Hendaye. There is an Euskotren commuter line to connect if your Renfe train terminates at Irun and the next SNCF train leaves from Hendaye.

There is frequent train service to Pamplona. Some schedules require a transfer at Zaragosa.

There are not many bus companies that provide cross border service. Most buses from Madrid go to San Sebastian, the closest Spanish city to the border though some continue to Irun Renfe Station. There are many options to get from San Sebastian to Irun including Euskotren (which terminates at Hendaye), Renfe trains, and buses including local buses. There is limited bus service from San Sebastian to Bayonne. There is frequent bus service from Hendaye to Bayonne.

There is bus service from Madrid to Pamplona. There is usually a transfer at either Soria or Zaragosa.

ALSA buses to San Sebastian and Pamplona depart from Madrid Avenida de America. Some buses stop at Madrid Airport T4.

The San Sebastian airport is located 3 km from Irun Renfe Station.

There is an airport at Pamplona.

Thank you!!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.