• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Self Guided ?

PACIFICSWIM

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked the Camino on 30th September, arrived at Santiago on 1st November. Changed my life forever
Walking from Leon to Santiago mid August 2014. I was about to book with a company that transfers your main luggage each day and arranges hotels each night. Cost around A$200 a day. However I see these photos and read experiences of travellers with their back packs doing their so called own thing. It just seems a real adventure. Is finding accomodation difficult along this path.
I am 64 male-fit-travelling alone. Just completely undecided. Any comments. Greg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh my. Everyone does the Camino their own way but I would rather have a sharp stick in the eye than do a tour like you describe. It takes effort (physical / mental) and preparation to do the Camino the "old fashioned way" but I would imagine it is 1000 times more pleasurable than having a company book you in posh hotels and take you to dinner every night or deliver you a boxed lunch. Finding accommodation is easy. I have friends who insist on staying in nicer places and others who stay in only the cheapest of albergue (hostel) but they easily find both (and food, and water, and friends, and peace, and adventure....) on their own. You can do it too.

Those companies are great for people who want to have a holiday experience on their camino, but if you want to do the camino on your holiday and you are fit and enjoy the photos and stories of the backpacking pilgrims, I suggest you do just that. Ask yourself what made you want to book with a company in the first place: If it is the fear of not finding a bed, or being stranded in a foreign country not knowing where you're going, or you are uncertain what you are letting yourself in for, I can assure you that those are just fears and that after three days you will wonder what you ever worried about. With the money you save you can easily sleep in the paradors when you find them, or treat your camino friends to a meal, or invest in lightweight gear and kit for your trip - or spread it around the donativo albergues along the way.

One of the greatest joys of this form of hiking trip for me is the planning, the preparation, the anticipation - looking at photos, reading blogs, making notes of places not to miss and recommended detours, planning stages (though it never goes to plan, but that's okay too) and deciding to keep the pack as light as possible. Pack less = enjoy more. You will not be alone, you will not be lost for more than five minutes at a time, you will find food and water and shelter and see the sun rise behind you and share meals and meet people from all walks of life ... and you can't get that in a hotel. Go for it!
(If you don't like it, you can still book private accommodation in the morning and get the taxi service for your pack.)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh my. Everyone does the Camino their own way but I would rather have a sharp stick in the eye than do a tour like you describe. It takes effort (physical / mental) and preparation to do the Camino the "old fashioned way" but I would imagine it is 1000 times more pleasurable than having a company book you in posh hotels and take you to dinner every night or deliver you a boxed lunch. Finding accommodation is easy. I have friends who insist on staying in nicer places and others who stay in only the cheapest of albergue (hostel) but they easily find both (and food, and water, and friends, and peace, and adventure....) on their own. You can do it too.
Appreciate your honesty-the package only supplies the hotel and not meals and takes care of your main luggage. However I fully understand your comments. I am new to this style of vacation and need some outside input. I,ve got the weekend to decide.-Cheers Greg

Am about to begin my camino so I'll speak to the actuality later hut it was simple to plan. The resources, both practical guidance and encouragement, are on this site. At one point I had an itinerary with a company for about the same amount (may have been same company). I don't know your needs but for me it feels more of a somewhat unpredictable adventure to go it alone.....just enough adventure but still alone with my God so maybe I can shut up and listen awhile..Google the camino and find the naysayer who discusses how boringly simple it is. His negativity had a positive effect for me. It was just what I needed to make my decision.

My main fear was not finding a place to sleep at night. Also carrying a pak. Have not done this since the Seventies.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Many, many posts on this forum concern packs and pack sizes and pack lists and everyone has their own comfort-to-weight ratio. Maybe you should go into a shop and have a look at packs in the 30-40 litre size, as light as is still comfortable, and try a few with a bit of weight in. Packs have changed a lot since the seventies and I walked for six weeks with a superbly comfortable pack weighing about 7 kilos with no problems. Some pack more, some less, it's a personal thing. I can't tell you to not book the company's services but I think you owe it to your camino to consider finding and carrying a pack and a few items of clothing and toiletries around in a shop at least. Try some trail walking shoes while you're there. You might love it!

There is not too much extra to plan.

Apart from arranging my transport to SJPdP the rest was totally free form.

Walk, find a bed, eat, drink, sleep, then repeat as many times as you need to.

Even my flight out was booked via my phone at 02:30 in the morning of the day I left.

PACIFICSWIM

The only definites in my plans for 2015 are that I will be travelling by train from home here in England to Paris (1 night) then to Barcelona, Spain by TGV(1 night) then train to Pamplona and onto Corazon Puro (1 night) then SJPdP (1 night) on to Orisson (1 night) thence to Roncesvaux (1 night) and finally Corazon Puro again. For the return I plan to get to either Santander or Bilbao by local transport and then by ferry back to England.
Then after those first few days of of "lush" living I will cut free from all schedules and start "paying" for all that self-indulgence.
So no fixed return tickets, no fixed schedules for each day, no fixed budgets, no fixed arrival date at SdC and no fixed ideas or expectations.
Just an open mind and an open heart.
Carpe diem

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Walking from Leon to Santiago mid August 2014. I was about to book with a company that transfers your main luggage each day and arranges hotels each night. Cost around A$200 a day.
You will be getting the worst possible combination of factors. You will be committing today to every stage length and every accommodation. That is nearly the worst thing you can do!

You can arrange baggage transfer each day through the hospitalero. You can make reservations each day at a destination that is suitable to your physical and mental condition that day. Hospitaleros will help with phone calls for that, or do it on booking.com . If you take a day of rest, you can skip ahead on a bus or train for a few Euro. Chasing your backpack each day will be the most exhausting thing you can do. In hundreds of nights on caminos, I have used a baggage service only once. I was ambitious and decided that I could cover 32km if I did not have a backpack. I took a taxi the last 10km.;) It turns out I have some sort of absolute physical limit for how long I can walk in a day, and a pack was a very minor factor in that limit.

Services like the following link will move your luggage without a commitment longer than one day!

http://www.jacotrans.com/p/english.html

I decided to do the Camino one night on the spur of the moment and about 24hrs later I was in Spain. You dont need much planning. Maybe any planning. I had a list of towns and distances, my credencial and that was it. Walk til you are tired or find somewhere nice or you see friends or whatever. Lots of people arranged luggage transport on the ground. For the walk from Leon... you dont even need much.

$200 a day is pricey. I think the most expensive hotel I stayed in was €50. The people I met werent paying much for luggage transport.

Walking from Leon to Santiago mid August 2014. I was about to book with a company that transfers your main luggage each day and arranges hotels each night. Cost around A$200 a day. However I see these photos and read experiences of travellers with their back packs doing their so called own thing. It just seems a real adventure. Is finding accomodation difficult along this path.
I am 64 male-fit-travelling alone. Just completely undecided. Any comments. Greg
Greg, completely unnecessary to book with a tour company. Save your money. You will have much more fun being like the rest of us. If you are in Sydney there are a group of us who meet regularly, and also in several other places. Send me a PM if you want to talk on the phone.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My friend and I are currently in Leon - en route to SDC from SJPDP. We are having the time of our lives. Meeting fabulously interesting people, seeing great sights, eating yummy (and sometimes average!) pilgrims meals at a range of places. Laughing walking singing reflecting on both our days on the Camino and our lives in the 'real' world. Celebrating life and all about it.
Sounds like a pilgrimage? It's perfect.
We booked a package from Australia. Hotels, all breakfasts and some dinners and main baggage transfers every stage. We love our nice hotel rooms, lovely baths and breakfast buffets - some more so than others.
It's perfect. It's our pilgrimage. The Way, our way!!!!
And to us that's what this journey is
I encourage anyone to do it - but do it your way. There is no 'true' way to walk the Camino.
On July 11 we will have walked almost 800km. We will celebrate ourselves as pilgrims and as people who have travelled an amazing journey both physically and emotionally.
Please don't judge others by your own journey. Just walk the walk, live and love the experience and celebrate all who do with kindness and and generosity if spirit :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A thought regarding the cost.
Is the overall cost A$200 per day including your travel? If so it might be 'break even' or cheaper than paying your fare and then booking accomodation and paying for pack transfer. If it is A$200 per day plus you are paying your travel as extra from home to Spain then it sounds very expensive as others have already commented.
The distance each day etc raised by other posts are different considerations.
Whatever you decide and however you do it it will be your Camino.
Buen Camino

Hi Greg,
As you can see, we all have our opinions - none of which may be right for you. In the end, you'll do what feels right for you. But I'll chime in with my opinion as well.
I agree with those above that committing yourself to hotels and luggage transfer ahead of time may feel like a bad decision once you are actually on the camino. One of the joys of the camino experience is the freedom from 'have-tos'. For example once you get to Leon, you may feel like you want to spend several days there or you may hate it and want to leave immediately and just get walking. You may wish the freedom to be able to make your own choices as you go, to walk shorter or longer days as you feel at the time - depending on how the heat affects you, whether your muscles cooperate at any given moment, if a certain town captures a particular interest, if you trip (heaven forbid) when you're not paying attention, if you fall in love with something (or someone:) ) or whatever...

It will be very busy and probably very hot in August and in reality finding spaces at the albergues could be difficult. If you're willing to stay at hotels, pensions or casa rurals you will have much more flexibility and will almost certainly find a room without much difficulty. There are many private albergues now where you can book a day or two ahead if you wish.These are often called 'red albergues'. Sometimes they are a cut above the municipal albergues and sometimes they're not.. Arranging for someone to carry your backpack on a daily basis is very easy (just ask at the desk of any hotel, pension, casa rural or albergue). You'll see other packs lined up waiting to go. The baggage vans carry dozens of packs a day to their destinations and there are several different companies eager to help you out for anywhere from 3 to 8 or 9 Euros a day.

(Just as a perspective, I've walked about 4500km on the caminos, starting when I was 60 (many who are in their 60s and 70s and older have walked MANY more). But I've never walked in August and wouldn't be able to I don't think, because the heat drains my energy faster than anything else. My next goal (at 70) is to walk 1000 miles along camino paths (not for any other reason than to see if I can). Last year it was 1200 km)

You have many alternatives Greg and there's not one package that fits all. No matter what you choose you will gain something and miss something. No doubt you have checked with the company you are looking at to see what happens if you can't go with plan A. That would be important. Most people don't hurt themselves but all the planning in the world doesn't guarantee that - blisters, shin splints, tripping etc. are always possible. Good luck with your decision making and buen camino!

Pacificswim, I urge you to reread what falcon269 said as it is absolutely true and covers all the bases. I walked last year at 67 and carried my pack. It took me 43 days, at least 10 more than the young and fit, but it was right for me. I walked when I wanted to and stopped when I wanted to. I could have sent my pack ahead at any time, but the days I questioned my ability to carry my pack were the days I definitely didn't want to lock myself in to a specific destination. Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just did Leon to Santiago. Started on May 1 in Leon and finished on May 17 in Santiago. If you are going to have "luggage," then you probably need to stick with your original plan. However, if you carry a backpack, you can carry it and start and stop each day as you see fit. I carried a small string pack in my backpack and on a few occasions, I carried water, rain gear and lunch in it and sent my pack ahead using a company named Jacotrans. Jacotrans will deliver your pack ahead for about 5 euros. When you reach your pack, you can then stay there or pick it up and hike awhile longer. B-t-w, I am 68.

I'm a lightweight so there is no way I could eat or drink $ 200 per day on the camino.

I lived like a king on less than $ 200 per week. OK I stayed in albergues and ate the pilgrim's menus but more importanly because of that met lots of REAL people.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is a bit high. I recently looked at another company offering hotel, demi pension, and baggage transfer on the French Chemin Stevenson for 75 euros a day.

Of course, there are bike tour companies offering tours in Provence for 400 a day, but really, the price of 200 a day is high for any trip on the camino.

Pacificswim:

I believe one of the worst things you can do on a Camino is to be committed to a distance/place every day. I also can not imagine expenses of $200. a day. Whoever you are booking with is ripping you off.

Read through the forum. Then go to your local outdoor store let the person know what you plan to do. Then purchase a pack, shoes and gear as needed that fits you. Fly to Spain and start your Camino in Leon as planned. If you are remotely fit you will be able to walk the Camino. Just start slowly and let your body, weather and the Camino dictate your distance each day. If you find the pack too cumbersome, moving it each day can be easily arranged for a few euro's as suggested by Falcon.

Kanga's suggestion of connecting to a local Camino organization is also a great idea.

Anyone can walk the Camino. Try it the old fashioned way, if that does not work, then adjust as needed.

Ultreya,
Joe

I stayed in albergues and ate the pilgrim's menus but more importanly because of that met lots of REAL people.

I think they are all real people. Have not met an android out there yet. My wealthy, 80+ year old step mom travels in groups like that because it works best for her. She biked all over Europe just after WWII. She has worked as an architect all over the world, places like Iran, China, studied the history and languages and is actually a pretty interesting person with whom to explore a Romanesque cathedral. I don't think eating the pilgrims menu makes anyone more "real" than others.

€149,-
You will have a great time however you choose to do your Camino.Please keep in mind that you won't be alone, even if you don't go with a company.As soon as you begin, you'll find yourself among like-minded people who are happy to be a part of your journey. You will undoubtedly end up walking with other people who walk at your pace and will realize that you want to stop where they do, share a drink and a meal, etc. You will never be alone! Buen Camino!

We have a friend who did a prearranged package. I think that overall he was happy with his choice, but there were definitely some downsides to having the trip preplanned. One of the major downsides was the lack of flexibility - he had to get to his next way point every night. There were days that we saw him pass by as we were having a coffee or snack, but he couldn't stop and hang out because he had to get to X and still had a long way to go. Some of his days were uncomfortably long, I think because of the need to only stop in towns that actually had some sort of private lodging choice as opposed to a random alberque in the middle of a tiny town. Other days ended up with a hotel a few km outside of town so limited options for food or even a few km off the actual route. But he didn't have to do any planning and his pack was transported for him. There are pack transport services that you can use as you like though.

We went with almost no plan at all other than a guide book with a good map and an idea of how many km we needed to walk on average each day to reach Santiago about when we thought we should. We did stay in hotels a couple nights (used WIFI at a bar and booked a hotel on our smartphone though booking.com) and other nights just turned up at albergues and found spaces. We did pay attention to the approximate number of spaces available in each town based on the information in the guide when deciding about where to stop each night - that was to decrease the chances of not finding a space. We didn't run into any problems.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had looked into something similar. I thought I would ease into it by doing the first week and then striking out on my own. Once I found out the costs (€502. to Pamplona) I tossed that idea by the wayside. I pre-booked the first couple of nights and after that I'll just play it by ear.

I met this surgeon last year from the United States who had pre-booked his rooms. He was the most miserable pilgrim I met. He had fallen into a group of pilgrims (which contained a fetching young woman he really enjoyed being around). The group was not staying in the villages he booked. So when the group stopped for the night, he got into a taxi and went forward (or back) to the village that contained his hotel, checked into his room, changed clothes, took a taxi back to the village where the group was staying, ate dinner with them, took a taxi back to hotel room, spent the night, then took a taxi in the morning back to the village where the group spent the night, and resumed walking with the them. He repeated this process night after night. When I asked him why he just didn't cancel the remainder of his hotel rooms, he said that he wasn't ready to admit that his six months of meticulous planning was a waste of time.

Last edited:
I am 71 years old and going to begin my Camino on my own on August 26th. At first I was thinking about one of those tour companies, but decided against it. I want this to be "My Camino." I bought an Arc Blast Zpack (http://www.zpacks.com) which is very light. If I can do this (and I am confident I can), so can you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

For $200 AUD (€138) a day, you'd better be getting Parador level accommodations! Obviously, if you can afford to pay for arranged accommodations and baggage transport, you're bound by where your bag gets sent, some days you might only want to walk 10km, but your bag is another 10km ahead of you.
I think it would be easier to decide in the morning how far you want to walk that day and have your bag transported ahead, once you get to your destination and you feel like walking some more, pick up your pack and walk ahead. As far as finding private accommodations, most pilgrims go for the Donativo Albergues first, Municpal Albergues second, Private Albergues third, then as a last resort and I mean as a last resort, Casa Rurals, Hostals, and Hotels, which you shouldn't have problems getting a private room.

I, too, am unable to carry much but with a little research have been able to get my fully loaded pack under 10 pounds and that is with a tent--which I may leave home.

PACIFICSWIM

The only definites in my plans for 2015 are that I will be travelling by train from home here in England to Paris (1 night) then to Barcelona, Spain by TGV(1 night) then train to Pamplona and onto Corazon Puro (1 night) then SJPdP (1 night) on to Orisson (1 night) thence to Roncesvaux (1 night) and finally Corazon Puro again. For the return I plan to get to either Santander or Bilbao by local transport and then by ferry back to England.
Then after those first few days of of "lush" living I will cut free from all schedules and start "paying" for all that self-indulgence.
So no fixed return tickets, no fixed schedules for each day, no fixed budgets, no fixed arrival date at SdC and no fixed ideas or expectations.
Just an open mind and an open heart.
Carpe diem
Brilliant my sentiment entirely!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I met this surgeon last year from the United States who had pre-booked his rooms. He was the most miserable pilgrim I met. He had fallen into a group of pilgrims (which contained a fetching young woman he really enjoyed being around). The group was not staying in the villages he booked. So when the group stopped for the night, he got into a taxi and went forward (or back) to the village that contained his hotel, checked into his room, changed clothes, took a taxi back to the village where the group was staying, ate dinner with them, took a taxi back to hotel room, spent the night, then took a taxi in the morning back to the village where the group spent the night, and resumed walking with the them. He repeated this process night after night. When I asked him why he just didn't cancel the remainder of his hotel rooms, he said that he wasn't ready to admit that his six months of meticulous planning was a waste of time.
the madness of it all - this just really made me laugh!

My main fear was not finding a place to sleep at night. Also carrying a pak. Have not done this since the Seventies.
Hello, I wondered last year the same thing. But am so glad that I did not!
Camino will create your schedule. Rushing on to walk when you might prefer a smaller town or slower pace.
The folks you meet will dictate you walk. The weather will dictate your walk.
The condition of your feet...well you get the idea.
I liked to mix up my accommodation and sometimes when I knew I would be walking a long day for me, a Camino friend and I would pack up most of our weight in a bag and pay 7 euros to send it forward and carry our other stuff.
You will have so many options, no need to be filled booked. Let your Camino unfold for yourself

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Greg
You first post starts with needing to make a decision this weekend. I hope you're happy with your decision as it will be your Camino.

-re fear of finding a place to stay. Don't worry on that point. You don't find people on the street' unless they want to be' as most places will (if you ask), give you advice or info on alternatives if they are completo. If you can afford $200 day, last resort if you want something more than an alburgue is to get a cab (they aren't too expensive there) to a place off Camino but close by. On our last night on way the alburgue was full and they arranged a cab to a hotel at nearby village, and picked us up there in the morning and dropped us back at the albergue is the morning, so that we had not moved forward by taxi. (The taxi was free of charge to and from ) -the arrangement suited the off Camino hotel and they were happy to do pick ups to get the custom. Ps that was the only night we found an albergue full. We could have walked to the next village but my walking buddy had had enough for the day.

-fear of carrying pack. If you have your pack to a good weight and it fits well, you really don't notice it. It just becomes part of you. I'm 65, only mildly fit and feel quite comfy walking with my pack. If you need to or want to carry extra luxuries etc, or just don't want to carry it, other posters have mentioned, to ask at the albergue to arrange one of the bag transporters.

-good idea to start walking (training)before you leave with the backpack and boots; so you remember what it felt like in the seventies. No big deal then was it. No different now, your fit and only 64. Many walkers a lot older carrying packs.

-did you mention whether the calculation of $200 day was the avg overall of your trip cost including air fare and extras or the charge this company has for the hotel and bag transport costs.

I'd rather spend the money in Spain or give some away if you see the need rather than hand it to some middle man taking a large scoop of cream for doing what is quite easy to do yourself,

I see your question only came because you didn't know what can be done - and the answer is: you can do it,

Buen Camino Greg

Annie

Last edited:
Baggage transport was available everywhere we stayed in France last month, even the sheep farm in the mountains, for 7.50 euros a day.

If language is a challenge, usually your innkeeper will be able to call ahead to book a place for you-- they will also arrange for pack transport. I did this several times on the del Norte and encountered some wonderful casas rurales (b&b) and the personal recommendation cleared up many small problems (Pedro sent me!). This will reduce the hassle quotient considerably. I would share the concerns others have raised about spontaneity and having to push ahead when your body is telling you to stop for a night. $200/night for accommodation and transporting luggage is very high-- I am a pilgrim who quite likes his own bathtub and cheerfully leaves the albergues for others -- but I do not know if I ever ever spent more than E70 for a hotel, and it was usually half that. PAce yourself and stay hydrated-- you'll be exhausted and you'll have a great time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Greg, completely unnecessary to book with a tour company. Save your money. You will have much more fun being like the rest of us. If you are in Sydney there are a group of us who meet regularly, and also in several other places. Send me a PM if you want to talk on the phone.
Would love to speak with you on the phone about this trip.G

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have decided on the full Camino with carrying my own pack. Leaving around 28th September from St Jean Pied de Port. This will take 5-6 weeks. Weather wise, what will be the coldest I should prepare for- Back Pak 50 litres, is that to large?

Good for you PS. It will be a major highlight of your life. I walked 2 years ago from 30 August to 30 September. It can get quite cold (not freezing) then at night and in the mountains. It can also be scorching hot in the sun, particularly in the Meseta. Prepare for both and there are good packing lists in this forum for that time of year. I walked in shorts, Under Armour heat-gear undershirt and short sleeved button down Columbia trekking shirt every day that was fine but if I was walking in the cold before sunrise, I also had arm-warmers, light gloves and a buff, as well as an Altus rain coat and rain pants when needed. I also had a pair of long pants, a normal raincoat and light fleece for walking around at night. Many people would say 50l is too big but it depends on what you need. Some people can do well with extremely little gear but I needed a 45+10l pack. The one thing you don't want to do is take extra things just because they fit in a too large backpack. Leave space for a sandwich and fruit. A little empty space is not bad although a lot will throw off the balance. Buen Camino!

p.s. Your journey has already started.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good for you PS. It will be a major highlight of your life. I walked 2 years ago from 30 August to 30 September. It can get quite cold (not freezing) then at night and in the mountains. It can also be scorching hot in the sun, particularly in the Meseta. Prepare for both and there are good packing lists in this forum for that time of year. I walked in shorts, Under Armour heat-gear undershirt and short sleeved button down Columbia trekking shirt every day that was fine but if I was walking in the cold before sunrise, I also had arm-warmers, light gloves and a buff, as well as an Altus rain coat and rain pants when needed. I also had a pair of long pants, a normal raincoat and light fleece for walking around at night. Many people would say 50l is too big but it depends on what you need. Some people can do well with extremely little gear but I needed a 45+10l pack. The one thing you don't want to do is take extra things just because they fit in a too large backpack. Leave space for a sandwich and fruit. A little empty space is not bad although a lot will throw off the balance. Buen Camino!

p.s. Your journey has already started.
Well some of your previous comments were a bit raw-however well meaning. The comments all hit home and I thought long and hard over the weekend, then made a decision at 2am today. Many thanks mate- appreciate the time you have taken to set me straight. Regards Greg

Oops. I didn't mean them that way but I guess it's easy to see why they were. I didn't mean to mock you or even that way of doing a Camino. I just meant that it would be so much more meaningful doing it "the old-fashioned" way. BTW, now that you will be doing it, we can tell you just how physically and mentally tough it can be. That said, it can be done and you will amaze yourself every day while doing it. Cheers!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Danny, a search of this site for packing list will give you a much more detailed list but I am happy to share with you what I took for the September walk (edited for improvements for my next Camino.

Keen walking shoes
Crocs for nights and bathrooms
2 pairs of long pants (could have used 1)
2 pair of Northface walking shorts
2 button down Columbia short sleeve trekking shirts
3 Under Armour compression shirts
3 Under Armour boxers
3 pairs of Smartwool trekking socks
2 pairs of liners (3 better?)
1 pair Boxers or comfortable sleeping pants
T-shirt for afternoons/ sleeping if needed
Light fleece
Rain pants
Altus rain coat that also covers back pack
Normal North face rain jacket (luxury carry for cold / rainy nights)
wide brim floppy hat
Bandanna
Towel (needed only small trek/tech washcloth)
Washcloth
Sleeping sack, treated with Permitherin
Sarong, treated (changing, pillowcase, shower commute)
Deurter Gobi 45+10 Backpack
Rain cover
Seal Line waterproof waist pouch (useful)
Arm warmers
Light walking gloves
Buff neck / face cover
Camera, charger (not again)
iPhone, charger
Kindle, charger (not again)
Adapter (2 round plugs)
Sunglasses, cleaner
Small torch
750ml water bottle
Swiss army knife
Hiking poles!
Spork
Stone from home for the Cruz de Ferro
Soap & holder
Cloths clips (paper binder clips work better and take less space)
Notebook & pen
Passport
Money
Wallet
Credencial (obtain in SJPdP)
Tickets, travel insurance card
Scans of cards, passports, etc
Information sheets (obtain in SJPdP)
Dop Kit - Toothpaste, toothbrush, shave cream, razor, blister pads, ear plugs, sun cream, deodorant, melatonin, ibuprofen, airborne, band-aids, nail clippers

Weather wise, what will be the coldest I should prepare for- Back Pak 50 litres, is that to large?

I walked in October and it was generally cold in the morning to about midday then warm/hot as the afternoon passed. Some days by 4pm it was very hot. Cooled off again quick into the evening. Nights were cold. In valleys where the sun never got over the top until late it would stay cold longer.

Obviously mountains are going to be unpredictable. In Rabanal the surrounding mountains were white with snow but managed to avoid it. It was below freezing though until about 11am. About -5c was the coldest I saw.

We will we walking about the same time.
There are plenty of places to purchase what you think you might need along the way.
Raincoat is very very important that time of year...one that covers your backpac seems like an overkill until you really understand why you need it.
Some days your pack will be rather light as you will be wearing most of your clothes.

I am so excited for you!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am 71 years old and going to begin my Camino on my own on August 26th. At first I was thinking about one of those tour companies, but decided against it. I want this to be "My Camino." I bought an Arc Blast Zpack (http://www.zpacks.com) which is very light. If I can do this (and I am confident I can), so can you.
Buen camino Nancy P. I wish you all the best! May you run into more than your share of wonderful people, eat your share of wonderful food and have more good experiences than you've had any other time in your life!
Cecelia

Greg, follow the pilgrims of past years by packing and carrying your own gear. You will find yourself linked more closely will fellow travellers. Stay in the municipal albergues as much as possible and share yourself with your fellow travellers. This is my advice to you. Have fun next month and a big Buen Camino to you.

For the amount they are charging you'll surely get deluxe accommodations. Even in the busiest periods you should be able to find your own very nice private lodging for 40e. I found it nice to be able to make decisions on the fly. In many of the smaller towns it's not even possible to spend more than 40-50e/day on food and lodging. Bag forwarding is also easy even when you wing it.

For the amount they are charging you'll surely get deluxe accommodations. Even in the busiest periods you should be able to find your own very nice private lodging for 40e. I found it nice to be able to make decisions on the fly. In many of the smaller towns it's not even possible to spend more than 40-50e/day on food and lodging. Bag forwarding is also easy even when you wing it.
Yes, since that post, I have decided on walking the entire track from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago. Taking some time out, so busy buying back packs ect. Your comments are right, I can always pay for the transport of back pack myself. Regards Greg

Greg, follow the pilgrims of past years by packing and carrying your own gear. You will find yourself linked more closely will fellow travellers. Stay in the municipal albergues as much as possible and share yourself with your fellow travellers. This is my advice to you. Have fun next month and a big Buen Camino to you.
Yes, I have taken this advise and will carry my own Pack, getting very excited getting all this together

How is the beginning going? Buen camino.
Could not be more inspiring....met two gentle ladies on ride from Biarritz...had a wonderful childlike evening laughing and watching them put together a bicycle...realized I was not strong enough for the Pyrenees with a pack and just barely strong enough without....rain, cold, fog and fear don't go well together....pack has rejoined me now for four days...fished the Agra river, experienced Spanish masses and one hell of a running of the bulls on a balcony which I am glad is checked off my list...should never had read the Drifters or Hemingway....

I have decided on the full Camino with carrying my own pack. Leaving around 28th September from St Jean Pied de Port. This will take 5-6 weeks. Weather wise, what will be the coldest I should prepare for- Back Pak 50 litres, is that to large?

Great! I will be walking about the same time too! With my pack and at a slow pace.

If you get any good comments can you post them? I too am looking at using a tour company. Going by myself but would like to have someone set up a hotel or B&B each night on a schedule that matches my level of fitness. I'm tending towards Frontier Holidays. I'll also pose a question on the forum. It seems like most answers would that people have posted on the site are more arrogant than helpful. Seems like there is an innate prejudice against having a place to stay so that you can enjoy the trip rather than making it a fight. I'll be 66 when I do the Camino and have long ago lost my macho desire. Just as a point of reference, I'm doing mine in about 58 days and its coming out to about $150/day (hotel, and baggage transfer with probably a couple of breakfasts thrown in). Not cheap, but on the other hand it removes a lot of the stress.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Do consider sending your bag forward from SJPDP to Roncevalles ... Ease into the walk and really that is the most difficult day. The climb up and down are difficult enough on the knees. Start easy.

This year I will restart Burgos so that I can stay at El Molino, then bus forward to Leon, to visit galleries I missed. Last year I walked to Ponferrda. There are so many great places to stop and stay, alberguies, both municipal and private, casa rurals and other spots.
As much as I love the social aspect of the alberguies sometimes I just prefer a full nights sleep with only my snoring, and honestly there are times when I just cannot line up to use the bathroom!
Your Camino will be uniquely yours.
So far I think the most amazing time was walking the Meseta ... It was totally praying with my feet.

If you get any good comments can you post them? I too am looking at using a tour company. Going by myself but would like to have someone set up a hotel or B&B each night on a schedule that matches my level of fitness. I'm tending towards Frontier Holidays. I'll also pose a question on the forum. It seems like most answers would that people have posted on the site are more arrogant than helpful. Seems like there is an innate prejudice against having a place to stay so that you can enjoy the trip rather than making it a fight. I'll be 66 when I do the Camino and have long ago lost my macho desire. Just as a point of reference, I'm doing mine in about 58 days and its coming out to about $150/day (hotel, and baggage transfer with probably a couple of breakfasts thrown in). Not cheap, but on the other hand it removes a lot of the stress.

It is quite possible and not hugely time consuming to book ahead a day at a time. The hotel can book ahead for you. Plus it gives you the flexibility to walk at your pace. You can enjoy the pilgrimage daily at your pace. It is not really that stressful walking into a town and looking for a place or walking on. It is a freedom.
You certainly can have a tour group plan it for you, check with them about flexibility.
I had some Camino friends who did use them. They had the best recommendation of spots to stay, eat and visit. I can send it to you on PM.

Camino ways.com also do good package deals for the camino, got their itinerary but booked the hotels myself and each hotel organises bag transfer which is 7 euro each transfer and 3 euro from Sarria, did the camino by myself from Leon to Santiago in May, met people along the way. Some lovely places to stay outside the main towns, saw a lovely place outside Astoria, accomodation in 3 to 4 star hotels with breakfast 30 to 60 euro for doubles, just book ahead the previous night
Bien Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
John Sikora, I think you are wrong in thinking there is an "innate prejudice" against those who choose to stay in private accommodation.
It is, from what I have read on this website over the years, more of a case of "them" thinking you will be missing out on "something" from the communal experience of the albergues.
I have no problem with "them" having their albergue experiences but I am at a loss to think why most of that communal experience cannot be enjoyed in a restaurant,bar or café etc..
As to the communal "enjoyment" (such irony there) of sharing a dormitory - oh ho bl**dy ho - stuff that for a game of marbles!
I, 68, with a varied medical history (male, post-prostate operation, asthma, inveterate snorer etc) have no intention of either inflicting my nocturnal habits on others or having to experience those of others!

Thus I, in so far as I can through the constraints of budget and availability, intend to stay in private accommodation at every available opportunity!

p.s. I should add I will not be on any time constraint as to how long I take to get as far I do get - and I am not making any promises as to how far that will be! I have read too many blogs to make any hostages to fortune over this!

Last edited:
It is quite possible and not hugely time consuming to book ahead a day at a time. The hotel can book ahead for you. Plus it gives you the flexibility to walk at your pace. You can enjoy the pilgrimage daily at your pace. It is not really that stressful walking into a town and looking for a place or walking on. It is a freedom.
You certainly can have a tour group plan it for you, check with them about flexibility.
I had some Camino friends who did use them. They had the best recommendation of spots to stay, eat and visit. I can send it to you on PM.

Thank you that would be appreciated. I set up the trip (58 days) so that I would push my limits but not get silly about it.

@John Sikora I think it is fair that you are seeking information about experience with a specific company, however I do not think it is fair that the sharing of our experiences be labeled as "arrogant". I hope you get the input you are seeking and as a frequent solo senior traveler, I will be watching for tips that I might find appropriate for future travels. If you do not get the reviews sought before going, please report back with your own review. Buen Camino!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
John Sikora, I think you are wrong in thinking there is an "innate prejudice" against those who choose to stay in private accommodation.
It is, from what I have read on this website over the years, more of a case of "them" thinking you will be missing out on "something" from the communal experience of the albergues.
I have no problem with "them" having their albergue experiences but I am at a loss to think why most of that communal experience cannot be enjoyed in a restaurant,bar or café etc..
As to the communal "enjoyment" (such irony there) of sharing a dormitory - oh ho ho bl**dy ho - stuff that for a game of marbles!
I, 68, with a varied medical history (male, post-prostate operation, asthma, inveterate snorer etc) have no intention of either inflicting my nocturnal habits on others nor having to experience those of others!

Thus I, in so far as I can through the constraints of budget and availability, intend to stay in private accommodation at every available opportunity!

p.s. I should add I will not be on any time constraint as to how long I take to get as far I do get - and I am not making any promises as to how far that will be! I have read too many blogs to make any hostages to fortune over this!

Thanks for the comment. I agree with you. It just seemed like everytime I saw a question about a travel operator, the deluge came in about why are you using it and you're missing out on something. I'm a firm believer that if you ask a question you deserve an answer first and then you can comment on the philosophical aspects of the question and inflict your opinion on others :) Personally, and my wife will attest to the fact, listening to someone snoring isn't an experience (unless you consider waterboarding an experience). I'm with you and would rather not inflict myself on others :) :).

@John Sikora I think it is fair that you are seeking information about experience with a specific company, however I do not think it is fair that the sharing of our experiences be labeled as "arrogant". I hope you get the input you are seeking and as a frequent solo senior traveler, I will be watching for tips that I might find appropriate for future travels. If you do not get the reviews sought before going, please report back with your own review. Buen Camino!!

What I intend by that comment is that when most people ask a question they expect a factual answer to the question first. After you supply that, any other ancillary, anecdotal, and opinions are worthwhile and gladdly accepted but without answering the question first you are telling the questioner that their question is irrelevant or not worth answering. That is arrogance in my book.

Camino ways.com also do good package deals for the camino, got their itinerary but booked the hotels myself and each hotel organises bag transfer which is 7 euro each transfer and 3 euro from Sarria, did the camino by myself from Leon to Santiago in May, met people along the way. Some lovely places to stay outside the main towns, saw a lovely place outside Astoria, accomodation in 3 to 4 star hotels with breakfast 30 to 60 euro for doubles, just book ahead the previous night
Bien Camino

Thanks for the information and the time to answer the question.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think that most responders are not arrogant so much as enthusiastic. Sure, sometimes we all phrase things imperfectly and possibly you came across a little stronger than you intended as well. Maybe there is not an innate prejudice so much as a conclusion based on the real experience of people who frequent this forum. I think the message throughout this thread was to take confidence in the ease of doing the Camino without paying for advance arrangements. I am your age and will likely use private accommodation a lot, but that too is easily done daily. I'd suggest that you ask the tour company about the process for making changes to the reservations. Best wishes, and please post on your experience as it unfolds.

If with company you may never even see other pilgrims, you can always forward bag to your destination , and your camino will more than a third cheaper, Buen camino

€149,-
I did this last year through Camino Ways,
After a stalled attempt to get up to Orisson (and abandonment of my first Camino)
I sulked along the English Channel for two weeks (and a little over 135k walking)
Decided if I could do that I could manage the Camino, with a little help

It (pre-booking through a company, having my bags moved ahead) allowed me to go from Sarria to Finisterre and complete (for me) my journey
This year I am fortunate enough to have landed back in Spain and am going to do it the old fashioned way,
With a pack on my back and confidence that I will find a room in private lodgings during the evening
(Maybe)
Who knows how it will turn out,
I am gearing up to head out tomorrow, but I also thought I was gearing up to head out today
The Camino can be a daunting task for some, even someone who has walked before.

Good luck with your decision

And Buen Camino

Cheryl

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Oh my. Am I the arrogant one? I answered the original question toward the end of the paragraph rather than at the beginning. I hope that didn't tip me over the arrogant scale because I have a tough time doing an arrogant smirk.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It seems like most answers would that people have posted on the site are more arrogant than helpful. Seems like there is an innate prejudice against having a place to stay so that you can enjoy the trip rather than making it a fight. I'll be 66 when I do the Camino and have long ago lost my macho desire. .

I'm sorry that some responses come across as arrogant. However - I can see why "we" might come across that way, I do include myself in this, as that's just easier - and I'm fully aware of being a (bit?????!!!!!) cantankerous at times;)

I have traveled less than some, and more than others... I'm happy with simplicity, but I can also appreciate a 5* hotel.

I find that many (not all) of those that are considering booking a whole Camino in advance will be doing this sort of trip for the first time, and I understand why that might seem like a good idea. I do not think it is a good idea, but I can see why booking the first 1-2 weeks might be.

I understand wanting the comfort of having food and bed booked. It makes sense to me. It means another thing to leave behind, something to Not stress about. After all, I think most people feel drawn to the Camino as they need to get away from stress, away from aspects of their daily life.

However - I would strongly suggest to not book the whole journey. In my experience the first 10-20 days are the hardest. Doing an extra 5km in week one might be crossing the breaking point. Doing an extra 5km in week 3 might just be a feeling of "I did it!!! The naysayers owe me a beer/coffee/cake". You might even want to push yourself a bit (within comfort levels).

Some book the whole route, as they fear being stuck and they fear dealing with the unknown - I suppose what I (and others) try to say is that - if you have never traveled by yourself, if you have never taken that step, where you cross over the edge and rely just on yourself - this is the place to try it, as there is so much positivity, help and support available, much more so than in many people's daily life.

Then there is the issue of money... Use a backpack service - it is likely to cost you 6-15 € a day. Accommodation is likely to be 10-100, depending on what you need, if you want a treat etc. Dinner is likely to be 10-40 € - depending on what is available, and also on what you want. Some of the package tours charge €70-200 per day, which I suppose is fair if that is what you are happy to pay. However, when I see what some companies charge - it makes me furious, as I really do feel that they are just taking advantage and milking it for as much as they can.

Plan for your own Camino, do it the way that suits you:) However - what suits you in week 1, might not be your preferred option in week 4. Make plans, have options available. Whatever you decide on - buen camino:)

There are a lot of ways to put a Camino together and I think that the important thing is to understand the pros and cons to the various methods and then choose something that fits with your personal needs. A DIY Camino comes with flexibility, more communal living, and a fair amount of uncertainty. These things can be good or bad, depending on your needs. The planned Camino comes with private accommodations, certainty, and structure.

As someone who likes communal living, is fairly fit without any real physical or medical limitations, and doesn't mind having to change plans on the fly, the DIY Camino was the clear choice for me. I actually sleep best in a room full of people (cave people instincts coming through, I guess). That's not the case for everyone though. My friend that I mentioned on a post above who did a pre-planned Camino looked at the pros and cons and decided that the pre-planned Camino was best for him. In the end, I don't think he had a lesser Camino or anything - just different. The communal living would have added frustration to his Camino, not value.

Great! I will be walking about the same time too! With my pack and at a slow pace.
Great, I arrive in SJPP on the 29th, hope to see you on the way. So looking forward to this, mentally it will be difficult for me-normally I have everything pre planned. On this walk, I am not sure how far I can travel each day-then finding accommodation. Anyway I am after a challenge. Greg

Finding accommodation is as easy as breathing on Camino. You will find it when you are finished walking. Where your friends greet you. When your feet tell you.

I have traveled less than some, and more than others... I'm happy with simplicity, but I can also appreciate a 5* hotel.

I find that many (not all) of those that are considering booking a whole Camino in advance will be doing this sort of trip for the first time, and I understand why that might seem like a good idea. I do not think it is a good idea, but I can see why booking the first 1-2 weeks might be.

I understand wanting the comfort of having food and bed booked. It makes sense to me. It means another thing to leave behind, something to Not stress about. After all, I think most people feel drawn to the Camino as they need to get away from stress, away from aspects of their daily life.

However - I would strongly suggest to not book the whole journey.

Camino Truths! Bravo!

Some book the whole route, as they fear being stuck and they fear dealing with the unknown - I suppose what I (and others) try to say is that - if you have never traveled by yourself, if you have never taken that step, where you cross over the edge and rely just on yourself - this is the place to try it, as there is so much positivity, help and support available, much more so than in many people's daily life.

Plan for your own Camino, do it the way that suits you:) However - what suits you in week 1, might not be your preferred option in week 4. Make plans, have options available. Whatever you decide on - buen camino:)[/QUOTE]

Yes, since that post, I have decided on walking the entire track from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago. Taking some time out, so busy buying back packs ect. Your comments are right, I can always pay for the transport of back pack myself. Regards Greg
So tell us! How did it go? I see from another thread that you are thinking about another route again next year. Hooked, huh? Isn't it awesome?!?

.....yes! .... So how did it go? ... for the benefit ot others facing similiar decisions...

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.