• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September 2014 Peregrinos

DeadFred

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean-Los Arcos ,Sept, Oct 14'
Los Arcos - Logrono-May16'
Next Logrono to ? - Sept 2019
I've been looking for a group for interaction of the Septmember 2014 folks and haven't had much success . Figure I would hop in here and start one , then I would get a ton of emails telling me were at least five such threads dwell . If I don't then , Welcome to the only verified , validated, Ivar approved ( I hope :) ) Camino September 2014 Topic( as of 2/6/2014) . All are welcome of course. Except for the Janurary Pilgrims .. cause something just isn't right if your going in Janurary ( Brrrrr)

Joe here , Arkansas , Heading out and up on the 26th to Orission of the Camino Francis with my wife & son . Ticketed and almost equiped . Oh Boy!.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Fred - I'm leaving St Jean on the 13th and staying at Orrison with my husband that night. I go on alone (hopefully to Santiago) and he goes home. At the moment my plan is to take the first few days steady and build up to 20km each day... we may cross paths if I'm slow and you're quick. I've never done anything like this before... ever! I feel like such a novice and I'm confused by the array of choice out there for gear.

I started doing some training walks around my home in SW France - I try to do 4-5 km every day but have done up to 9 km so far. Over the next 6 months I'll be building on this to help ensure I'm physically fit to go. I have to say I'm loving my walks and I know I'll continue even after my CF (secretly already wondering what camino I could do next). My neighbour dropped by this evening and said she wants to maybe walk the Puy route with me next year!

Time is passing so quickly... so much to do!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've been looking for a group for interaction of the Septmember 2014 folks and haven't had much success . Figure I would hop in here and start one , then I would get a ton of emails telling me were at least five such threads dwell . If I don't then , Welcome to the only verified , validated, Ivar approved ( I hope :) ) Camino September 2014 Topic( as of 2/6/2014) . All are welcome of course. Except for the Janurary Pilgrims .. cause something just isn't right if your going in Janurary ( Brrrrr)

Joe here , Arkansas , Heading out and up on the 26th to Orission of the Camino Francis with my wife & son . Ticketed and almost equiped . Oh Boy!.
Hi there .... I'm flying to Bilbao on 5th September then bussing to Pamplona ... staying at Corazon Puro for a few nights then starting walking on the 7th, probably from Roncesvalles. I'm planning to walk 10 - 15k a day so very slow ..... can't wait! Cheers, Trish

Wig here from California. Flying Into Pamplona on the 6th and staying at Corazon Puro that night and starting at SJPDP the following am. Staying at Orisson on the 7th and starting very slow until we hit Pamplona and start walking longer. I will be with my wife and probably five other friends.

Hi Fred - I'm leaving St Jean on the 13th and staying at Orrison with my husband that night. I go on alone (hopefully to Santiago) and he goes home. At the moment my plan is to take the first few days steady and build up to 20km each day... we may cross paths if I'm slow and you're quick. I've never done anything like this before... ever! I feel like such a novice and I'm confused by the array of choice out there for gear.

I started doing some training walks around my home in SW France - I try to do 4-5 km every day but have done up to 9 km so far. Over the next 6 months I'll be building on this to help ensure I'm physically fit to go. I have to say I'm loving my walks and I know I'll continue even after my CF (secretly already wondering what camino I could do next). My neighbour dropped by this evening and said she wants to maybe walk the Puy route with me next year!

Time is passing so quickly... so much to do!

Good for you LesBrass! Grab life and shake it . Quick? I bet I could beat you in a "slow" race . I practically crawl, but it works for me it seems . same here 4-5 km/day + 9 on Sat/Sun . Increasing backpack weight , now up to a full weight ( almost) , In April its out the door at 7 am and walk until 2 or 3 pm to see how it fits . then .. repeat 2 x . Fingers Crossed
Joe

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Joe. I'm planning to leave from Pamplona about 31 August/1 September (depending on how long it takes to get over the jetlag). Like Trish, I'll meander along at about 10km - 15km per day. Currently I'm walking 5 - 6km per day, but it was about 8.5km today and I've also managed a couple of 13km days. We'll be heading into winter soon, and Auckland is notorious for rain, so my enthusiasm might start to wane..... :( Meantime, I'm packing, unpacking, weighing, repacking, shopping, unpacking, packing, weighing, shopping.....

Hi Joe. I'm planning to leave from Pamplona about 31 August/1 September (depending on how long it takes to get over the jetlag). Like Trish, I'll meander along at about 10km - q15km per day. Currently I'm walking 5 - 6km per day, but it was about 8.5km today and I've also managed a couple of 13km days. We'll be heading into winter soon, and Auckland is notorious for rain, so my enthusiasm might start to wane..... :( Meantime, I'm packing, unpacking, weighing, repacking, shopping, unpacking, packing, weighing, shopping.....

Kiwi-d ,Sounds like all that packing and repacking is going to get you into prime condition . We are in our winter now , spring is around the corner and daylight hour's are increasing , I am happy about that as I don;'t like walking at night to much ( skunks , snakes etc) . Winter has been nasty this year , more so than past winters so outside walking has been catch-as-catch-can ( Geographical Colloquialism ? ) . Don't let your enthusiasm wane! Keep going .

Myself and two girlfriends will be starting in St Jean Pied de Port on September 5th. This will be our first Camino, been planning and walking for about a year! We are down to 171 days but who's counting!! We are all from CA and looking forward to walking and starting this great adventure! Hope to meet you on the road to Santiago. We will be the ones with two turquoise and one rose colored backpacks and the Forum badge on the back!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Planning to arrive in Madrid on Sept. 8th and leave SJPDP on the 9th. Hope to share some trail with each of you.

Ok don't know what just happened with my post, but what I was saying is that I will be out there with my wife starting from SJPP on the 16th of Sept. So looking forward to the whole experience. See you along the trail.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will be setting off from SJPP on August 26. My friend and I have until Sept 25. We are intending to end in Santiago. This is less time than I want but it is all we can afford. Buen Camino everyone.

OK got to throw in my 2 cents worth, landing in Madrid Sept. 17th staying one night near the train station, heading to SJPP for one night then starting that Friday. Thought I would stay in Orisson for the first leg then see what happens next!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
OK got to throw in my 2 cents worth, landing in Madrid Sept. 17th staying one night near the train station, heading to SJPP for one night then starting that Friday. Thought I would stay in Orisson for the first leg then see what happens next!
My wife and I will be starting our Camino from SJPP departing on the 16th of Sept. We will see you along the way.
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Myself and two girlfriends will be starting in St Jean Pied de Port on September 5th. This will be our first Camino, been planning and walking for about a year! We are down to 171 days but who's counting!! We are all from CA and looking forward to walking and starting this great adventure! Hope to meet you on the road to Santiago. We will be the ones with two turquoise and one rose colored backpacks and the Forum badge on the back!
I will be around that time as I stay for two nights in SJPDP to get over the trip from Australia and then I stay at Orisson as it is a great night and away to meet many like minded folk that you see on the Way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good idea Holly as Orisson is a good night.

My brother and I will be in SJPP on or near Sept. 10, going through to Santiago.
A first Camino for both of us, very excited...it fills my every thought! Hope to see y'all there.
I think we are all excited those of us who are yet to walk our Camino. I have been reading and planning for a year now and can not wait to start the rest of my journey. I am sure we will see you along the way.
Buen Camino

I'm planning on setting out from Leon on 23 September on the del Salvador. Might meet up with all you Frances walkers after Melide... Considering that my fitness preparation as yet is only working long days at a standing desk, I may be a tad slow. Here in NZ there is plenty of Galician style light rain to practise walking in!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I am looking to hook up with anyone who might be starting the Camino Frances in September (I am flexible with dates) and also to get some training in beforehand. I live in the Exeter area and have done a moderate amount of walking, I think what daunts me most is carrying a rucksack.!

Hi AnnieY!.. Sounds like your repacking and unpacking will keep you in tip top shape. Ugh , Rain .. well think of yourself in Galica as I hear that is actually where all the rain in Spain is .

Septemeber 26th is when we leave from St Jean for Orission by that time you will be a seasoned Caminost and 75% of the way to Santiago de Compostela . Wish you the very best and hope you don't have to much rain !

Annie, I'm buying my tickets for flight in Sept. next week.....I'll keep you posted on dates as I have them. I am walking with my brother who I'm trying to talk into staying at Orrison, but since he's younger and in better shape he wants to go straight over.....we shall see who wins this battle!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We are a group of 4 bicigrinos from Austin, Texas and Albuquerque, New Mexico. Will be starting in Pamplona around Sept. 5th. This is our second Camino--had to abort in Astorga last time in Sept 2012 due to a family emergency so starting all over again to make it all the way to Santiago. We are leisurely bicigrinos, self-supported, and take our sweet time enjoying the Camino. We often see many of the same peregrinos for a few days in a row. Looking forward to seeing some of you folks!
Buen Camino,
Judy

Last edited:

Nancy here, Heading out at the end of August to begin Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Annie, I'm buying my tickets for flight in Sept. next week.....I'll keep you posted on dates as I have them. I am walking with my brother who I'm trying to talk into staying at Orrison, but since he's younger and in better shape he wants to go straight over.....we shall see who wins this battle!

Hola ann

He's your younger brother and full of beans ! but lots of people go straight over. Some have had a day or so rest in sjpdp before or can get away early. Just nice to ease your body into it slowly. It's not as if you'll have a day or two of walking to warm up before you hit 'the hill' and it means you will have a relaxed exit from sjpdp with time for coffee, croissant, etc and stroll around.

Each will do it his own way and you will both have incredible experiences to share !!!

. ORISSON is a wonderful experience but can't say I'm a fan of the coin in shower. It does allow for enough hot water though, so don't worry. I was concerned Whether it would run out.

I will be on one of the caminos in sept /oct. Just not sure which yet. Flights are sorted.

Buen camino.
Annie

Just noticed my post went thru twice, so have cleared duplicate response

Tourist pilgrims being anyone not from Spain?
No not necessarily . I bumped into a busload just emptied into the camino , the next village after Buergete? A lovely lot , yoga group from Valencia . I had a lovely time practising my Spanish with a couple. The bus types are usually have pre arranged places where they can get back on the bus to be taken to their per booked accommodation. I saw them again a couple of times and it felt the same as seeing a backpacking pilgrim. Big hi!s and hugs. We all enjoy it in our own way.

Annie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi, My husband and I are starting from St Jean on September 5th as well. We arrive in Madrid on the 2nd then train/taxi to St Jean on the 4th. We will walk to Orisson then taxi back to SJ for the night and then take the shuttle bus back up to Orisson on the 6th. We will be the oldies with the Aussie flag on our backpack. We will fly home on the 20th October. It's nice to know that we may live in different parts of the world but we are connected through a wish or dream to walk the Camino. All the best. Hope to see you out there somewhere in September/October. Sriyantra

Hi, My husband and I are starting from St Jean on September 5th as well. We arrive in Madrid on the 2nd then train/taxi to St Jean on the 4th. We will walk to Orisson then taxi back to SJ for the night and then take the shuttle bus back up to Orisson on the 6th. We will be the oldies with the Aussie flag on our backpack. We will fly home on the 20th October. It's nice to know that we may live in different parts of the world but we are connected through a wish or dream to walk the Camino. All the best. Hope to see you out there somewhere in September/October. Sriyantra

Look forward to meeting you in St.Jean or on the trail!! We are getting so excited!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola ann

He's your younger brother and full of beans ! but lots of people go straight over. Some have had a day or so rest in sjpdp before or can get away early. Just nice to ease your body into it slowly. It's not as if you'll have a day or two of walking to warm up before you hit 'the hill' and it means you will have a relaxed exit from sjpdp with time for coffee, croissant, etc and stroll around.

Each will do it his own way and you will both have incredible experiences to share !!!

. ORISSON is a wonderful experience but can't say I'm a fan of the coin in shower. It does allow for enough hot water though, so don't worry. I was concerned Whether it would run out.

I will be on one of the caminos in sept /oct. Just not sure which yet. Flights are sorted.

Buen camino.
Annie
I bumped into that same Bus load. A bit of Camino snobbery (Jealous) feeling kicked in I also disliked bikers (Cheaters) Buen Camino Annie. I am going to SJPP on the 10th of May day trip with my current wife. Have a great Camino why VDLP no France again ???

Hi Micmac ,
I think u may have misinterpreted my comment about walkers from the bus. I was using them as an explanation of a word 'turigrinos'. Not in a negative way though .
I rather enjoyed bumping into the walkers from the bus. They were lovely. We are just so very fortunate to have the time and the ability to walk. That Spanish group was very friendly and I was walking alone at that time . They were keen to learn more about the backpacking types. But I see you realise it may have been a bit of snobbery on your part (your words).

Also I don't think biking the camino is cheating . I met a super lady cycling on here own who was staying at the same alburgue at Santa Catalina. Also shared alburgues with a number of male cycle groups further along . I think they are fun when they came down the track calling out ! Buen camino! I don't think it would be easy on a bike though in a lot of sections .

Also, I need to update my profile regarding the vdlp. Changes in plans .

So I gather you are doing the Frances again this may? It is a lovely route isn't it. I want to do it again too, but having walked there last aug/sep, I'm interested in looking at maybe another route. Still deciding which one.

Buen camino Micmac.
Annie

Last edited:
Hi Micmac ,
I think u may have misinterpreted my comment about walkers from the bus. I was using them as an explanation of a word 'turigrinos'. Not in a negative way though .
I rather enjoyed bumping into the walkers from the bus. They were lovely. We are just so very fortunate to have the time and the ability to walk. That Spanish group was very friendly and I was walking alone at that time . They were keen to learn more about the backpacking types. But I see you realise it may have been a bit of snobbery on your part (your words).

Also I don't think biking the camino is cheating . I met a super lady cycling on here own who was staying at the same alburgue at Santa Catalina. Also shared alburgues with a number of male cycle groups further along . I think they are fun when they came down the track calling out ! Buen camino! I don't think it would be easy on a bike though in a lot of sections .

Also, I need to update my profile regarding the vdlp. Changes in plans .

So I gather you are doing the Frances again this may? It is a lovely route isn't it. I want to do it again too, but having walked there last aug/sep, I'm interested in looking at maybe another route. Still deciding which one.

Buen camino Micmac.
Annie
I think we walked together late August I stopped in Burgos, I was only joking about Snobbery I know your no snob just very posh and you love cyclists ??

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh Michael! How fantastic. You're getting back again You were one of our really treasured memories of the Camino. And true to form with your Irish sense of humour, you've done a good job of pulling my leg !
It took a like while to split your forum name up and realise who you are. Mr Dove soap!
That was a great group in Los Arcos wasn't it. Annie.

Oh Michael! How fantastic. You're getting back again You were one of our really treasured memories of the Camino. And true to form with your Irish sense of humour, you've done a good job of pulling my leg !
It took a like while to split your forum name up and realise who you are. Mr Dove soap!
That was a great group in Los Arcos wasn't it. Annie.
Final word can I have whats left my bar of Dove, please !!!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am looking to hook up with anyone who might be starting the Camino Frances in September (I am flexible with dates) and also to get some training in beforehand. I live in the Exeter area and have done a moderate amount of walking, I think what daunts me most is carrying a rucksack.!

AnnieY,
Will be starting the CF from SJPDP on Sept. 9th. Regarding your pack concerns, just start light and gradually add additional weight as you train. In the mountains, I usually just carry additional water because water is hard to find in New Mexico and if I get too tired I can always drink a little or water the flowers and make my pack lighter.
Buen camino!

I will be setting off from SJPP on August 26. My friend and I have until Sept 25. We are intending to end in Santiago. This is less time than I want but it is all we can afford. Buen Camino everyone.

I too will be starting out from St. Jean on Aug 26. Maybe we will meet up! I've got until Oct 1. Hope it will be enough time!

hey there, I am starting from SJ on the 6th also arriving in Madrid for a few days beforehand, than flying home to Perth on the 30th September, hopefully we'll meet on the way, buen camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am hoping to start early September as well... I am coming from Vancouver, so have to figure out flights . I only have two weeks, so I will walk for 11 days .. we will see how far I get before I have to head back home. The excitement is in the planning for me right now. I hope to meet up with some of you from this forum ... now I have to train . The weather is slowing getting nice over here, yesterday I walked after work for 18 klm, so will build up slowly from there. .. cant wait

Taozenqi; I too will be leaving from SJPdP on the 9th of September Hope to see you there.
Buen Camino!

Fr Moses

May hang around SJPdP a bit in the morning ( depending on weather). So, if not in SJPdP, hopefully later in the day at Orisson.

Last edited:
We will be days apart. Hope to see you along the way.
Buen Camino

Hi, yes I'm going to take it easy at first and stay (hopefully) the first night at Orrison, although Ive done a fair bit of walking am not mad about carrying a rucksack so I'll see how the ascent goes - slowly at first I guess - I haven bought ticket as I'm staying with some friends in Mont de marsan and they said they would drop me up. But if you keep me posted I would be happy to link in initially -

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
AnnieY,
Will be starting the CF from SJPDP on Sept. 9th. Regarding your pack concerns, just start light and gradually add additional weight as you train. In the mountains, I usually just carry additional water because water is hard to find in New Mexico and if I get too tired I can always drink a little or water the flowers and make my pack lighter.
Buen camino!
Yes I've been used to travelling light and love walking and cycling, so nows the time to start some training with a pack, I'm flexible with my timing might stay at Orrison the first night to get the lay of the land, hope to meet up with you en-route

Hi AnnieY!.. Sounds like your repacking and unpacking will keep you in tip top shape. Ugh , Rain .. well think of yourself in Galica as I hear that is actually where all the rain in Spain is .

Septemeber 26th is when we leave from St Jean for Orission by that time you will be a seasoned Caminost and 75% of the way to Santiago de Compostela . Wish you the very best and hope you don't have to much rain !
Good to hear from you -

I have been training with full backpack since 1 SEP 13 for this, my first pilgrimage on El Camino de Santiago.

I am flying into Madrid on 10 SEP 14 and also staying at "Corazon Puro" near Pamplona that night and on 11 SEP 14 will be going on to St. Jean Pied de Port [SJPP]. There, I will be staying at L'Sprit du Chemin on Citadelle across from the Pilgrim's Office for two [2] nights.

I will be starting on Camino Frances on 13 SEP 14 around 08:00 or 09:00 and I pace myself at 3km/hour.

I am not in a hurry and want to enjoy every moment.

I will also try to be staying in Orrison but do not have reservations there. Do I need a reservation?

My return flight to Indianapolis is 11 NOV 14 from Madrid. If I finish in Santiago when I think I will, I want to go on to Finisterre.

Traveling alone but hope to meet a lot of nice folks on The Way.

¡Buen Camino!

Noah [ aka ArkBuilder ]

www.facebook.com/TrekCaminoForDiabetesCure

~

Noah. I recommend if you plan on staying in Orisson make your reservation soon.......they have only 18 beds.

Buen Camino!
Fr. Mises

ArkBuilder,
+1 re: Monk Moses comments. I understand some hikers with reservations continue on past Orisson if they are feeling strong and the weather is good, however, I wouldn't count on accidental availability if you really want to enjoy a night in the Pyrenees. Enjoy your path to Santiago and beyond.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
ArkBuilder,
+1 re: Monk Moses comments. I understand some hikers with reservations continue on past Orisson if they are feeling strong and the weather is good, however, I wouldn't count on accidental availability if you really want to enjoy a night in the Pyrenees. Enjoy your path to Santiago and beyond.

Thank you taozenqi, Your point is well-taken. I do want to relax and not be in a rush so I can enjoy every moment of every kilometer.

I think it would be great to get home and share with my friends that I actually slept in the Pyrenees. How cool is that?

Do you or anyone else know the typical range of temperatures during mid-September to mid-Novemeber on Camino?

Thanks again!

Noah [ aka ArkBuilder ]

Do you or anyone else know the typical range of temperatures during mid-September to mid-Novemeber on Camino?

Thanks again!

Noah [ aka ArkBuilder ]

Check out Elcaminosantiago.com and click on the weather section on the left hand side. You can then get median temps and ave. precip amounts. Since we will be on the camino for at least a month and over a long expanse of kms we will probably experience a little of everything!
Ultreia

Last edited:

I am not in a hurry and want to enjoy every moment.

I will also try to be staying in Orrison but do not have reservations there. Do I need a reservation?

My return flight to Indianapolis is 11 NOV 14 from Madrid. If I finish in Santiago when I think I will, I want to go on to Finisterre.

~

Arkbuilder... not only are we starting on the same day... and planning to stop at Orrison... I to have said that if (IF) I get to Santiago in one piece and in good time I'm also going to head to Finisterre.

I sing in a band and I have to be back home by the 7th November, ideally before the 2nd... so I have a little less time than you... and I think you're better prepared... so maybe Finisterre for me is wishful thinking :)

Check out Elcaminosantiago.com and click on the weather section on the left hand side. You can then get median temps and ave. precip amounts. Since we will be on the camino for at least a month and over a long expanse of kms we will probably experience a little of everything!
Ultreia

Thanks taozenqi ! You're right.

I have heard that its hot during June, July, August but not sure how cool it gets in September-October.

I am hoping for cool to slightly chilly weather because I can add on layers but if its still very warm or hot, its a different story for me.

My best weather will be 45-65 degrees F.

Thanks again,

Noah

~

Arkbuilder... not only are we starting on the same day... and planning to stop at Orrison... I to have said that if (IF) I get to Santiago in one piece and in good time I'm also going to head to Finisterre.

I sing in a band and I have to be back home by the 7th November, ideally before the 2nd... so I have a little less time than you... and I think you're better prepared... so maybe Finisterre for me is wishful thinking :)

Hey LesBrass!

Hopefully you will still get to Finisterre. I have only 4 more days than you! Ha ha.

I am anticipating that I will make it to Santiago in 42 days at the rate [ 3km/hour ] I hike. This still leaves me about 2 weeks to get to Finisterre and then back to Madrid airport to head back to Indianapolis.

Hope to see you there. I always hike in a "neon yellow" baseball cap and two scallop seashells on each side of my Osprey Aether 60 backpack.

¡Buen Camino!

Noah [ aka ArkBuilder ]

www.facebook.com/TrekCaminoForDiabeteCure

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have been reading some blogs about the time to walk the frances camino originally planned to go in September but now wondering about the countryside being described by somebody as a bit of a dust bowl at that time of year and pretty warm - anyone advise me april/may or September?

I finally have my airline tickets and will be leaving SJPP on Sept. 12 2014..... Oh my, how will I ever wait that long!! Of course I can't figure out how to put it on the calendar :/
My wife and I depart SJPP on the 16. We just might see you on the trail
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

€46,-
Hi...Looks like we're the only one's walking the Primitivo in September! Ahh well, who knows perhaps by the time we arrive in SdC some of you will be there!! :)

Noah. I recommend if you plan on staying in Orisson make your reservation soon.......they have only 18 beds.

Buen Camino!
Fr. Mises

Just received an email back from Orisson Refuge and I now
Leaving SJPP with my wife on the 16/9/2014. We will be one day behind you. See you on the trial.
Buen Camino

Leaving only three [3] days ahead of you Jabaldo and I am a "leisurely" hiker so you will probably catch up to me.

Just look for the guy with a neon yellow baseball cap.

¡Buen Camino!

Noah

[ aka ArkBuilder ]
Indianapolis, Indiana
US

Buen Camino!
Fr. Mises

¡Hola! I've taken your suggestion and have sent them email requests for a reservation via their email page, but have not heard back yet.

Okay, [ Update ]. I am a newbie at this so bear with me. I found out by calling Orisson Refuge that emails are responded to in "3 to 4 days" and you can NOT make a reservation by PHONE more than "three [3] days in advance".

I should have taken French and Spanish in college instead of Japanese.

So, I will know IF I have a reservation at Orisson Refuge in a few more days.

Thanks again!

Noah

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey Annie, I've sent an email but have not heard back yet.....how about you?

Just called them and they said it takes "three to four days" to get a response back.

You can not schedule by phone more than three days ahead.

You should hear back [ same as myself ] in a few days.

Noah

Update: Just received an email back from Orisson Refuge [ faster than I thought or than they said on phone ].

They want you to pay 33 euros per person months in advance to hold your place. First one that wanted to be paid four [4] months in advance and is the most expensive I've seen in all the information on alburgues / refugios.

I sent an email back to inquire about their cancellation policy in the event of health issues, airline strikes, weather delays, etc.

Is this a standard practice? The other two [2] albergues don't seem to be as expensive or have asked for payment yet. Anyone with prior experience with Orisson Refuge?

Is it worth the high price? Have they charged so far in advance for anyone else?

Makes me a bit nervous dealing with a refugio so far away and not knowing much about them.

Can anyone comment about Orisson Refuge from experience? Thank you!

Last edited:
~

Does anyone know of a hotel that is REALLY close to Madrid-Barajas Airport?

I was planning on transporting my backpack [ rucksack ] by checking it in in a duffle bag.

However, since its difficult to get storage in Madrid, I need to:

1) Check my backpack without putting it into a duffle bag; or

2) Make a reservation at at hotel near the airport to stay the night before I fly back to the states and ask the manager if I can leave the duffle bag in their storage room for the 58 days I will be on Camino Frances / Camino Finisterre.

Anyone know if the airlines [ I am flying DELTA ] will wrap a backpack in plastic for the flight?

Thank you!

Noah

€46,-
Noah,
If I go the duffel checking route I will just use an inexpensive duffel from amazon and leave it behind once I'm done with it, forward it to Ivar's storage service, or donate it to someone in the first few days. Not sure yet if I will check my backpack regardless. Thinking of just carrying it onto the plane with me. If you have items that can't go into the cabin you could buy them inSpain or possibly forward them to Corazon Puro. I contacted them and since I'm staying there they said it would be OK.
Just throwing out a few different ideas. Of course your methods will work as well.

Last edited:
Noah,
If I go the duffel checking route I will just use an inexpensive duffel from amazon and leave it behind once I'm done with it, forward it to Ivar's storage service, or donate it to someone in the first few days. Not sure yet if I will check my backpack regardless. Thinking of just carrying it onto the plane with me. If you have items that can't go into the cabin you could buy them inSpain or possibly forward them to Corazon Puro. I contacted them and since I'm staying there they said it would be OK.
Just throwing out a few different ideas. Of course your methods will work as well.

Taozenqi,

All very good ideas! Thank you!

My backpack is an Osprey Aether 60 which is larger than a lot of pilgrims will carry. I purchased it because instead of strapping on a bed-role, sleeping bag, etc to the outside, I prefer to have my things all on the inside of the pack. Therefore, my thoughts were that my pack may be too large to take on board, more than having any contraband in it. [ Still a great idea to wait and purchase some items once in Spain / France ].

If I do stay at a hotel near the airport [ need to check my departure time ] and I make the reservations for 10 NOV 14 [My flight out is on 11 NOV 14] then the hotel manager may consent to store my duffle bag AND I would have a place to go the day before I fly back to the states.

I would then have the duffle bag for transporting my backpack [ check it in ] both ways, there and back.

Nevertheless, you still made some very strong and viable suggestions worth considering. I imagine if someone living in Madrid were to use their garage [ do they have garages in Madrid? ] they could make a lot of cash storing things for pilgrims in this situation.

Maybe someone will eventually do this? :)

Thanks again for your ideas. They are much appreciated. The Bible says that "two heads are better than one" and I am always open to counsel.

Buen Camino.

Noah

PS: Interesting. I am staying at Corazon Puro as well on 10 SEP 14 on way to SJPP.

Last edited:
Hey Annie, I've sent an email but have not heard back yet.....how about you?
I'm dithering! family complications in the background, my daughter is sinle working mum and my grandson starts school this September I think she needed me for the drop offs- she says go but I feel guilty!!

I have been reading some blogs about the time to walk the frances camino originally planned to go in September but now wondering about the countryside being described by somebody as a bit of a dust bowl at that time of year and pretty warm - anyone advise me april/may or September?

Both seasons have their delights and draw-backs. In September you are most likely to get glorious weather - not as hot as August but mainly sunny days. The grapes and almonds are being harvested, there are many festivals along the way, the trail is good for walking. But the colours are the browns and yellows of autumn. There can be dust. For a really good picture and feel look at the videos on the thread "Radio Buen Camino" (brilliant btw).
In April it is still winter in many places (especially SJPDP). May is spring. Beautiful and green all the way, lovely flowers. Clean albergues and patient hospitaleros before the rush of pilgrims gets them both a bit worn down. Bed bugs less likely. And usually rain and mud. It can be very cold. The mud is a real trial in some places - it sticks to the bottom of shoes in great heavy clods and every step becomes an effort.
I really don't have a view! Probably walked equally often in autumn and spring.
Not sure if that helps.

I'm dithering! family complications in the background, my daughter is sinle working mum and my grandson starts school this September I think she needed me for the drop offs- she says go but I feel guilty!!

Annie, I am absolutely where you are at. Our daughter had twins last year and, together with the 2 year old, there was no way we were going to leave her to cope without our help. Same this year. But I'm hoping next year we (or maybe just me) can get away for at least a short Camino.
One of the things I learned about the Camino is that it actually does not need much planning. It can be done pretty much on the spur of the moment. All the obsessing and planning is fun, but it's not obligatory. So my thought is that I'll just stay flexible and see how things go. If my SIL can get some time off work or other help arranged, I'll go on impulse. Airline ticket prices seem to go up and down and I'll have to take my chances on those.

Annie, I am absolutely where you are at. Our daughter had twins last year and, together with the 2 year old, there was no way we were going to leave her to cope without our help. Same this year. But I'm hoping next year we (or maybe just me) can get away for at least a short Camino.
One of the things I learned about the Camino is that it actually does not need much planning. It can be done pretty much on the spur of the moment. All the obsessing and planning is fun, but it's not obligatory. So my thought is that I'll just stay flexible and see how things go. If my SIL can get some time off work or other help arranged, I'll go on impulse. Airline ticket prices seem to go up and down and I'll have to take my chances on those.
Thank you for your messages. Its heart warming to hear from someone who has a similar experience - my daughter is a teacher and has a 20 mile drive to work and sometimes has to stay late in the evenings. Its really tricky and I do feel that I want to do the walk but I don't want to walk away from her, my other daughter says GO mother! Its different if you haven't walked those shoes - that is giving advice!
I also agree about all this planning - it drives me mad and feels like the opposite of the ethos of the walk. I think I'm going to play it by ear and hang on before making a decision...

It's not simple. We don't know what may happen - our health may fail, economy crash - anything that could stop us going later. On the other hand children are only little for a few years, and giving ourselves willingly is the best expression of love. And the Camino has been there 1000 years and will likely still be there for our lifetime.
I figure St James will decide. If I'm meant to go, things will fall into place.

I agree with Kanga, the Camino will always be there....do what works best for you. I'll watch the posts for your decision :)

Buen Camino!
Fr. Mises

~

Update: Just received an email back from Orisson Refuge [ faster than I thought or than they said on phone ].

They want you to pay 33 euros per person months in advance to hold your place. First one that wanted to be paid four [4] months in advance and is the most expensive I've seen in all the information on alburgues / refugios.

I sent an email back to inquire about their cancellation policy in the event of health issues, airline strikes, weather delays, etc.

Is this a standard practice? The other two [2] albergues don't seem to be as expensive or have asked for payment yet. Anyone with prior experience with Orisson Refuge?

Is it worth the high price? Have they charged so far in advance for anyone else?

Makes me a bit nervous dealing with a refugio so far away and not knowing much about them.

Noah

€149,-
~

Noah

Noah, Gites are more expensive in France than in Spain and I assume the cost is demi-pension (dinner and breakfast included). It is fine, not luxurious but everything you need and a great atmosphere.
When we stayed there we only booked the day before (we were walking on the Le Puy before SJPDP). I was not worried about a place because I would happily have stayed at Hunto if Orisson was booked out. You might consider this yourself, if you are concerned about Orisson. Hunto is not so far up the hill as Orisson but it still gets you past the first very strenuous steep climb. I always used to stay at Hunto before Orisson was built and would stay again. It is more expensive (€50) but you get a private bathroom, a fabulous view from the bedroom, and the food is to die for - a serious French cook is Madam Ourtiague. And I doubt she would ask for payment in advance. Here's the link

http://www.gites-de-france-64.com/ferme-ithurburia/

Holly, how are you getting from Madrid to SJPDP? I am planning to do the same on June 12 but am kind of freaking out about how I am actually going to get there.

Noah, Gites are more expensive in France than in Spain and I assume the cost is demi-pension (dinner and breakfast included). It is fine, not luxurious but everything you need and a great atmosphere.
When we stayed there we only booked the day before (we were walking on the Le Puy before SJPDP). I was not worried about a place because I would happily have stayed at Hunto if Orisson was booked out. You might consider this yourself, if you are concerned about Orisson. Hunto is not so far up the hill as Orisson but it still gets you past the first very strenuous steep climb. I always used to stay at Hunto before Orisson was built and would stay again. It is more expensive (€50) but you get a private bathroom, a fabulous view from the bedroom, and the food is to die for - a serious French cook is Madam Ourtiague. And I doubt she would ask for payment in advance. Here's the link

http://www.gites-de-france-64.com/ferme-ithurburia/

I had heard such good things about Orisson I booked months ago. Now I'm sorry I hadn't heard of Hunto! LOL :). Oh well.

Holly, how are you getting from Madrid to SJPDP? I am planning to do the same on June 12 but am kind of freaking out about how I am actually going to get there.

I know you asked Holly this question but I had the same problem and it seemed enormously confusing with everyone having different suggestions, it was "cognitive overload" for me. Finally, a very seasoned pilgrim just explained and sent me a map of Madrid-Barajas Airport showing that ALSA Bus Lines have a kiosk or booth in the Airport and will take you to Pamplona. At the Pamplona station you can transfer to a CONDA bus to SJPP and is also owned by ALSA but just has a different name.

An alternative I chose was to go to Pamplona station via ALSA and booked a reservation at Corazon Puro [ pure heart ] albergue in Bizakaretta Navarre [ they pick you up at the Pamplona station ] which is a 45 minute ride in the direction of SJPP. If you stay the night, they will carry you the next morning to SJPP for 43 euros total [ 15euros bed; 3euros meal; and 25euros ride ].

This seemed the simplest to me and I know I will be tired flying 8-10 hours arriving 07h35 from Indianapolis through Atlanta to Madrid.

Just passing along what I've learned.

Noah

I had heard such good things about Orisson I booked months ago. Now I'm sorry I hadn't heard of Hunto! LOL :). Oh well.

Thank you Kanga & Monk Moses!

As I mentioned in another post, I wish I had studied French and Spanish in college instead of Japanese.

I can not read the French and not sure what a "Gite" is. At the risk of sounding dumb, what is a "Gite"?

It was difficult to learn more about the ones in your link because they do not have a translation function.

Still, it is great to have too much rather than too little options / information. As "they" say: Information is power.

This forum is priceless and indispensable for us newbies. Yay.

Thanks again!

Noah

Last edited:
A ' gîte' is a cabin or simple shelter. It may be a cabin for only one family, but usually on the chemins in France it it a cabin with dorm space for several sleepers, ie a ' gîte d'etape' is a shelter for that stretch of the trail. Such gîte often serve meals for the hikers.

MM

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A 'gite' is a cabin or simple shelter. It may be a cabin for only one family, but usually on the chemins in France it it a cabin with dorm space for several sleepers, ie a 'gite d'etape' is a shelter for that stretch of the trail.

MM

Thank you MM!

I feel like this forum is the "University of Camino" and I just started my "freshman" semester.

Thank all of you "graduates" for sharing with us. As I mentioned in a recent post, your knowledge and experience is PRICELESS!!

Hope I can help people along The Way as well.

Noah

www.twitter.com/DocNoah7

Hi Monk Moses
There will be many stops for the evening, where the choice of where to stay may be swayed by which alburgue/pension/hostel, fellow pilgrims have decided to stay. Often, you will find some pilgrims whose company you've enjoyed before, already ensconced in a bunk after you've checked yourself in. That is often a nice surprise. Your experience is unique.

But - You won't be sorry you booked ORISSON. The camaraderie going on there especially at mealtimes is something you will always remember. I had many great nights but I can't remember them all. I do remember ORISSON .
It's not that the meals are anything outstanding, it's the place and the whole mix!
Apart from the meals which are part of the usual fare, if you let them know before, they will prepare a bocadillo for you to take on your hike up and over.. Nice to sit and picnic with, when the body starts to call for some nourishment - whilst looking at the views and just wishing you could bottle them for later!

If the little van is right on top of the mountain, stop and have a 'cup of tea'. It tastes 'so good' on top of the mountain, whereas anywhere else, I would have cafe con leche.

These days will be some of the best in your life, (no matter where you stay). And if you're fortunate enough to do another camino, you can get to try places you missed before.

Buen camino
Annie

Hi Monk Moses
There will be many stops for the evening, where the choice of where to stay may be swayed by which alburgue/pension/hostel, fellow pilgrims have decided to stay. Often, you will find some pilgrims whose company you've enjoyed before, already ensconced in a bunk after you've checked yourself in. That is often a nice surprise. Your experience is unique.

But - You won't be sorry you booked ORISSON. The camaraderie going on there especially at mealtimes is something you will always remember. I had many great nights but I can't remember them all. I do remember ORISSON .
It's not that the meals are anything outstanding, it's the place and the whole mix!
Apart from the meals which are part of the usual fare, if you let them know before, they will prepare a bocadillo for you to take on your hike up and over.. Nice to sit and picnic with, when the body starts to call for some nourishment - whilst looking at the views and just wishing you could bottle them for later!

If the little van is right on top of the mountain, stop and have a 'cup of tea'. It tastes 'so good' on top of the mountain, whereas anywhere else, I would have cafe con leche.

These days will be some of the best in your life, (no matter where you stay). And if you're fortunate enough to do another camino, you can get to try places you missed before.

Buen camino
Annie

This is good to hear. Solid advice! I am looking forward to staying there.

May all our memories of Orisson be as pleasant as yours Annie. Thank you!

¡Ultreia!

Noah

Hi Monk Moses

Yes, I agree with Annie, the atmosphere is terrific. Not the same camaraderie at Hunto.

Hi Monk Moses

Yes, I agree with Annie, the atmosphere is terrific. Not the same camaraderie at Hunto.

Hi Monk Moses

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.