• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seriously thinking of changing the start...

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Hi folks

I've been on a little walking holiday this week... half way through it in fact. I've not been well for a couple of weeks and just finished a course of antibiotics and steroids... and crikey I can notice a difference.

I've done a fair few pratice walks around home for around 15km and felt full of energy at the end but these last 2 days I'm really hurting.

I'm walking with my husband and we've had sensible breaks but it has been very hot... today it was around 28/30oc and there just was no shade on the route at all.

We did this today... 19.68 km (this doesn't include the 0.8km walk up the hill to get out of the campervan carpark!) It felt like a hard walk... all up and down.

vines.jpg
We took our time ... please tell me this isn't easy compared to the average Camino day! I had my pack on but I left a few things behind as it was so hot.

I've been reading all the threads about the climb over St Jean to Roncevalles and my husband reckons if I'm feeling nervous I should just start at Roncevalles.

What are your thoughts? Would this be a good idea? Will I feel like I've failed if I dont start at SJ?

I want to get to Santiago... and in one peice... this is my main ambition... and today it feels like a million miles away ! o_O

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've done sjpdp to Roncevalles but had to terminate there and go home, so can't comment on how you will feel skipping it. In a few days I will be picking up the Camino again, but I will start in Pamplona instead of Roncevalles and, frankly, I don't give a damn. Any Camino wherever you start it because you want to start it is as good as any other.
My 2c.

I've been reading all the threads about the climb over St Jean to Roncevalles and my husband reckons if I'm feeling nervous I should just start at Roncevalles.

Will I feel like I've failed if I dont start at SJ?

I want to get to Santiago... and in one peice... this is my main ambition
Or start in Pamplona. There is not a lot between Roncesvalles and Pamplona except some slippery rocks.

Aren't you in charge of whether you feel like a failure?

Your best chance of arriving on one piece is to stay within you physical limits.:):)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Eventhough Sjpp - roncesvalles is a fantastic walk, you will not feel like you failed if you dont start there.
I dont know all the history behind the camino, but if i believe what some here say, then the original starting point, in history, used to be Roncesvalles.
I believe the Spanish that walk the frances, also start there.

If you want to walk sjpp to roncesvalles, remember you can also stay overnight at orisson (booking ahead needed). This will take 7-8 km of the next day to roncesvalles.
Or you can take the lower route, which is a bit easier, so i've heard. There you can also choose to stay inbetween somewhere and walk the rest the next day.

Do what YOU want and what YOU feel comfortable with. Thats the only thing that counts.

Last edited:
Les, there is nothing sacred or special about walking from SJPDP to Roncesvales, in the context of the Camino. No more special than the stage the day before, from Ostabat through St-Jean-Le-Vieux, or the day after from Roncesvalles. The Route Napoleon is not even the pass most used by medieval pilgrims - that was likely through Valcarlos. It was popularised because it was used by Napoleon. There are some great views, I grant you, but that is not what the Camino is about. Some of the other mountain passes accessible by car provide the same spectacular views - some are better (particularly further west).
You could just as meaningfully throw a pin in the air and start where it lands.
So pick the place that suits you best.

Dutch is right in mentioning that you will not "fail" by starting your Camino in Roncesvalles. There has been much ink spent on the debate of having to start the Camino in SJPP, but you shouldnt listen to those who'll want to brag about what they did and how much you missed! Start in Roncesvalles, or Pamplona if you must, and you'll experience the Camino to Santiago at its fullest. You'll also save yourself an excess which might compromise your Camino.;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you want to walk sjpp to roncesvalles, remember you can also stay overnight at orisson (booking ahead needed). This will take 7-8 km of the next day to roncesvalles.
Or you can take the lower route, which is a bit easier, so i've heard. There you can also choose to stay inbetween somewhere and walk the rest the next day.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm pretty sure I can make it all the way to Roncesvalles in one day, but why push it?

Like most, I've been obsessing over how much I can walk each day, how long it will take to get to Santiago, what type of travel plans I should make for my return home, etc.
The heck with it!!! At this point I don't care if it takes me 30 days or 50 days to walk it. I'm going to let my body tell me and just enjoy the journey.

Buen Camino.

LesBrass, please correct me if i am wrong, but maybe it is also a little bit your nerves speaking and acting up because your starting in about 3 weeks?

This is quite normal. Lost of people are somewhat nervous. All for different reasons, but that ok. As soon as you arrive and start the walk, they will all go away. Probably sooner, when you have your first drink with a fellow pilgrim.

Dont worry. You'll be fine. Start where you want and just walk and enjoy.

LesBrass,

As you get closer to the start of your camino, I would recommend you step back from the forum and other sources of opinions concerning the Camino de Santiago -- to clear your mind of the opinions and expectations you've collected the past few months -- and provide a little quiet time for your camino to emerge. My guess is you will make it to Santiago from wherever YOU choose to start.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Dutch - it could be nerves a little, I am starting to doubt myself... for the first time really. I've always thought I could do this but now i'm not sure. I still dont know if my doctor will give me the ok... I have an appointment on the 5th September and I am meant to leave on the 12th. I feel well again so I am thinking I'll get my prescritption from him and he'll say ok... without it I can't walk (he normally only gives me a 4 week prescription and I'm asking for 8 weeks) ... but maybe all of this has also made me really consider my well being too.

I am more and more thinking Roncevalles... but there are three weeks to go and I've got three more days hiking down here in the heat of the south (maybe we should head north tomorrow!)

LeaningForward - I hear what you're saying about stepping back... it's easy to see only the harder things and not the joy in the walk too. It's been a tough couple of weeks and I think I'm generally a little weary... but good advice nonetheless.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've done sjpdp to Roncevalles but had to terminate there and go home, so can't comment on how you will feel skipping it. In a few days I will be picking up the Camino again, but I will start in Pamplona instead of Roncevalles and, frankly, I don't give a damn. Any Camino wherever you start it because you want to start it is as good as any other.
My 2c.
This is so sad - it is your Camino - i can say that Roncesvalles is easy to get to but if you have any doubts , Pamplona is a great starting point.
You will always hurt and blister for the first 10 days.

Dutch is right in mentioning that you will not "fail" by starting your Camino in Roncesvalles. There has been much ink spent on the debate of having to start the Camino in SJPP, but you shouldnt listen to those who'll want to brag about what they did and how much you missed! Start in Roncesvalles, or Pamplona if you must, and you'll experience the Camino to Santiago at its fullest. You'll also save yourself an excess which might compromise your Camino.;)
Probably the best advice you will get.

I have never considered ever starting in SJPP. In fact, when I first searched the Web, years back ( in Spanish), it was always Roncesvalles that was shown as the starting point. And that is what we did on 3 occasions. I would also consider Pamplona as a great starting point. Anne

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
LesBrass, please correct me if i am wrong, but maybe it is also a little bit your nerves speaking and acting up because your starting in about 3 weeks?

This is quite normal. Lost of people are somewhat nervous. All for different reasons, but that ok. As soon as you arrive and start the walk, they will all go away. Probably sooner, when you have your first drink with a fellow pilgrim.

Dont worry. You'll be fine. Start where you want and just walk and enjoy.

Thanks for that Dutch - I have become increasingly nervous this past week, we head off next Monday. I'm sure I'll be okay once I hit the road - but it is getting awfully CLOSE now. (Nervous and excited).

The only sense of failure involved in starting from a particular point is that which we inflict on ourselves. It is tied in with our expectations of what we should be doing and the way we should be doing it. One of my wonderful Camino lessons was to learn to let go of "should". It's very liberating.

The Camino has an end point rather than a set beginning one. Starting from St-Jean or Le Puy-en-Velay or somewhere in Germany does not make someone more a pilgrim than another who started in Pamplona or Leon or Sarria.

You are still recovering and need to be kind to yourself. Start from wherever feels right for you rather than what you think you should be doing.

Remember this is your camino! Your path is made by your feet following your heart; there is no single way. We pilgrims may share our journeys, hopes and fears, but in no sense do we move as a single force! Each of us creates our own particular pattern moving along. Thus the Camino is composed of all these pilgrims' patterns; the multitude of these individual units across time and space together form the whole.

What matters is to DO IT!

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
LesBras, if you need a walking partner remember I am not starting in SJPdP either. I start walking from the Pension Corazon Puro in Vizkarret on September 16.

20 km of rolling countryside is a typical day on the camino.

At the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago they asked me:

Where did I start;

Did I walk the whole way; and,

Why did I walk the camino.

The only reason they would not have given me a compostela is if I had not walked the final 100km or if my reason for walking the camino did not qualify under very loose guidelines as religious or spiritual.

The only way you can fail is if you give yourself the gift of time to walk the camino and then turn it into something other than simply walking on the land.

Why do we beat ourselves up with guilt? Those of you who do not are indeed blessed!

Myself, I wanted to start at Roncevalles but my husband wants to start at SJPP and he and a good friend who has walked the Camino, persuaded me that I could manage the trek. 6 months later, tickets and a hotel room in Roncevalles all booked, I was not so sure that I either wanted or even should, push myself on that first day if I am to reach Santiago. So I have booked a seat with Express Bouricot to Orrisson. Even though I tell myself that my camino is starting at the Spanish border, I still feel a bit like I am cheating. I suppose it's the competitive side of me coming to the fore. How sad, really.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You did 20kms over undulating terrain and you're not even 100% healthy?
You'll have NO problems!!
The most I ever did before starting from SJPP was 14km on flat ground.
Start out early in the morning, shorten the stride going up, breath well, take breaks as often as you need and enjoy!!

Considering that you had a hard time walking almost 20 kms at a average pace of 3 kms/hour without much elevation gain (not more than 100 meter over several kilometres), I will give you my honest answer. Don't start in SJPP. You won't enjoy the first stage (SJPP - Roncesvalles), it might even cause physical problems and there is No Need to do it. It really doesn't matter where you start your camino. In your case I would start in Pamplona and start walking in my own pace. Whether you walk 10 kms a day, 15 kms or 35 kms, it doesn't matter! Instead, what is important? That you feel comfortable with your body, that you enjoy your camino. Your Camino. Everyone who can walk, can walk the camino. As long as they listen to their bodies.

OK... it's decided. I'm going to change the start. My husband feels a lot happier and I'm feeling ok about it. I've got a few health issues and I know that this is the most precious thing... if I had to choose between good health and getting to Santiago... well I know which one I'd choose in the blink of an eye.

So... Roncevalles it is. We'll drive there on the 12th and stay the night. Then wind our way downwards... slowly to Pamploma. My husband is only walking a couple of days before driving home.

Thanks for the kind words folks... I know this is the right choice for me at the moment. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
LesBras, if you need a walking partner remember I am not starting in SJPdP either. I start walking from the Pension Corazon Puro in Vizkarret on September 16.

Great Dane... thats a kind offer but I'm going to still start on the 12th. We're resticted by the weekend for my husband... he has to be back for the school run on Monday morning :)

I'm also going to be pretty slow... so possibly not a great walking partner for anyone :D

LesBrass you take it nice and easy look after your feet, and there is no need to overdo the km over the first few days break into it as your body feels best. Don't worry you can have a wonderful adventure.
Buen Camino pilgrim.:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
OK... it's decided. I'm going to change the start. My husband feels a lot happier and I'm feeling ok about it. I've got a few health issues and I know that this is the most precious thing... if I had to choose between good health and getting to Santiago... well I know which one I'd choose in the blink of an eye.

So... Roncevalles it is. We'll drive there on the 12th and stay the night. Then wind our way downwards... slowly to Pamploma. My husband is only walking a couple of days before driving home.

Thanks for the kind words folks... I know this is the right choice for me at the moment. :)
My husband and I did the same. We decided not to push ourselves on the first day, so reducing risk of injury. We went to SJPP looked around, went to the church then had a lift with Express Bouricot to Roncesvalles. We stayed the night there and started walking the next day. No regrets, no guilt. We made it to Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back