• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Struggling with Boots

Issy T

Time of past OR future Camino
I will be leaving Australia on the 26th May for Barcelona and will start the walk from Roncesvalles on the29th may.
I am having some problems with getting footwear that suits my feet. The boots I had for the last 6 months have been giving me knee pain. I was advised to get Salamon boots which I did a few weeks ago. They are very supportive but they are so heavy. Each boot weighs 550gms which feels like I am carrying weights on my feet every time I walk. I have found some Salamon boots that are not quite as high but are much lighter and still have a firm sole. My thoughts are to go with the lighter boots but due to the fact that they are quite expensive I wanted to get the thoughts of people who have walked the Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am having some problems with getting footwear that suits my feet. The boots I had for the last 6 months have been giving me knee pain. I was advised to get Salamon boots which I did a few weeks ago. They are very supportive but they are so heavy. Each boot weighs 550gms which feels like I am carrying weights on my feet every time I walk. I have found some Salamon boots that are not quite as high but are much lighter and still have a firm sole. My thoughts are to go with the lighter boots but due to the fact that they are quite expensive I wanted to get the thoughts of people who have walked the Camino.
re salomon spoke to guy who recommended cosmic (545) or quest (550) -which make did you get? there is a ladies comet 3D but clearly not the same stability weighs 480 (size5) do get boots a size larger as your feet get warm

I
re salomon spoke to guy who recommended cosmic (545) or quest (550) -which make did you get? there is a ladies comet 3D but clearly not the same stability weighs 480 (size5) do get boots a size larger as your feet get warm
I have the comet 3D but they weigh 1100gms. The ones I am looking at are X ultra mid GTX.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Boots - so tricky, so personal .... you know, you get pilgrims out there in all sorts of footwear - boots, shoes, trainers, plimsoles, sandals, crocs .... haven't seen clogs yet ..

some (most) wear boots but others say it is just a walk and go with their usual trainers .... tricky ... the Camino is very rough in places so a good footbed is a must, otherwise your feet will really hurt.

Expense doesn't always mean best, or best for you. Hi-Tec are a good company .. I have ridiculously wide feet - clowns ain't in it! - and find the Sierra lites are excellent, made on a wide last - well made, light, and a fraction of the price of the 'top of the range' manufacturers.
I would say go for light where you can - go to a shop that has a foot measuring pad, then buy one size up as your feet will swell - and go to as many shops as you can and try on everything!

Good luck - it really can be a tricky decision!!

have you tried them on yet?
Yes. I tried them in the shop today. The lighter ones feel so much better and they do still have a good solid sole although a little more flexibility than the ones I have at the moment. They are just heavy and rigid.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Boots - so tricky, so personal .... you know, you get pilgrims out there in all sorts of footwear - boots, shoes, trainers, plimsoles, sandals, crocs .... haven't seen clogs yet ..

some (most) wear boots but others say it is just a walk and go with their usual trainers .... tricky ... the Camino is very rough in places so a good footbed is a must, otherwise your feet will really hurt.

Expense doesn't always mean best, or best for you. Hi-Tec are a good company .. I have ridiculously wide feet - clowns ain't in it! - and find the Sierra lites are excellent, made on a wide last - well made, light, and a fraction of the price of the 'top of the range' manufacturers.
I would say go for light where you can - go to a shop that has a foot measuring pad, then buy one size up as your feet will swell - and go to as many shops as you can and try on everything!

Good luck - it really can be a tricky decision!!
Thanks David force advice. Unfortunately I leave in 16 days so need to get this organised ASAP. Don't have a lot of time to visit other shops. I am thinking I will go for the lighter ones as I am really struggling wi the heavy pair I have. It feels like someone has tied weights to my feet when I walk.

Am walking right now on the caminho with rather lightweight ARIAT shoes...and i have two different sets of insoles...one silicone and the other set have a bit more arch support.
ARIAT are the only walking shoes that i can start walking in right out of the shoe box...no break in time.
Best wishes for finding a good solutions that work for you...
Bom caminho,
Claudia

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum

Get what is comfortable. If you like the light ones, get them.

I wear lightweight joggers. Why? Why not! My Joggers show virtually no signs of wear after an 800 km Camino (apart from being a different colour). Are fine on the trail. But critically - they suit my feet. I've tried boots, I've tried walking shoes. They haven't worked. My shoes must be very flexible; unless I can bend a shoe in half I will get constant pain in my feet. I also know that I need a neutral shoe. And something very lightweight and breathable because I walk warm and sweat a lot. They need to dry quickly - i hate wet soggy shoes. I have a high instep, a very wide forefoot, very wide, but a narrow heel, so getting the right fit is difficult. There may be other shoes that do all that, but why risk something new when these shoes work for me. If I ever walk a winter Camino I'll have to rethink, but for now they'll do.

Everyone's feet are different. Go back to the most comfortable shoes you already have and work out what makes them comfortable. Think about the shoes that have been giving you trouble. Will the new shoes eliminate the problem?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
OK, I'll weigh in again. If you like running shoes don't bother to read this. I never see New Balance listed. That's probably because they're made in Maine! The ones I wore (410g) are no longer made anymore but the following two are pretty close, one lighter and one heavier: 959 (382g) and 956 (468g). They both have the ADZORB tech which makes you feel as if you're walking on a mattress and super lateral stability for those rocks. The 956 has the metal loop shoelaces which I prefer but they're heavier. Almost a tradeoff but I like the metal loop laces as they give an even snugness when laced. Oh, and they're waterproof but we all know the Camino doesn't pay much attention to that!

Shoes are the most important equipment choice, no doubt. Even if you pick the wrong pack (too small, too large) you can always get rid of stuff or something to compensate. You can always throw away a hat or poncho and get another one. Shoes on the other hand, if you pick the wrong ones there will be a lot of pain involved, and possibly injuries (stress fractures, etc).

Right now I'm debating on whether to go with a pair of Merrell trail shoes or my good old Brooks runners.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Shoes are the most important equipment choice, no doubt. Even if you pick the wrong pack (too small, too large) you can always get rid of stuff or something to compensate. You can always throw away a hat or poncho and get another one. Shoes on the other hand, if you pick the wrong ones there will be a lot of pain involved, and possibly injuries (stress fractures, etc).

Right now I'm debating on whether to go with a pair of Merrell trail shoes or my good old Brooks runners.

Mark, always go the ones you know work. Take the Brooks.

I never see New Balance listed. ... Oh, and they're waterproof but we all know the Camino doesn't pay much attention to that!

New Balance make some great shoes and they suit lots of people. Just think about the waterproof aspect; if you are walking in warm weather you want shoes that don't make your feet sweat. And, regardless of what the marketers say, a lining that is waterproof will not be as breathable as some others. But fine in winter and cold weather or if you don't feel the heat or sweat much.

I walked half the camino in old comfy Vasque mid weight mid height boots, when the sole came off, I bought the most comfortable ones I could find that day, black and waterproof - zero problems with them. I've spent 3 months trying lighter ones, and have happily settled on Merrell Siren Sport 2, low, breathable and a lot less in weight. I would be mentally at least uncomfortable in trainers because of those rocky paths, so I'm looking forward to using these. So as long as they're really comfortable, put an innersole in and make sure they're plenty big enough, I would get them. When I worked in a mountaineering store our rule of thumb was to be able to slide a finger down behind your heel, and your toes should then just about touch the front when you wiggle them. Make sure you kick your heel down into the heel counter before you lace them. If they're comfortably snug in the heel and instep and you can move your toes all around they should be ok. Good luck! And buen camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have tried several brands within the past year. I have a pair of Lowas that feel amazing now. And it's not just the boot to ponder, you may want some good insoles.

In July, my daughter and I walked from Leon to Santiago - I wore Keene's boots, and she wore Brooks tennis shoes. I had HORRIBLE blisters for nearly the whole time, but she had none. When we got to Sarria, a shoe shop said that the blisters were caused by moisture and heat, which the boots promoted. They said the part of the walk starting at Leon does not need boots, and I found that to be true. I have always been a real fanatic about ankle support, etc., but the lady at the shoe shop fitted me with Teva sandals, which I would have sworn I could never wear on even a short hike, but they worked wonderfully for the blisters (although I was still in pain, the blisters didn't get worse,) and I walked the next 50-plus miles in them. If I were to do the walk again I would wear tennis shoes for sure, if it is during the warmer months.

A boot or shoe should be comfortable out of the box. I go mostly with a sturdy low top now. They make me more mindful of walking and where I put my feet. A sturdy sole is probably the most important aspect to ankle support. Unless you have real problems there. I was a guide in the mountains of the Inner Mountain West of the US for years and always wore high, stiff boots. After 10 years of carrying a stupid heavy pack, I began having problems with my feet. They were spreading and I was needing a bigger size every year or so and my arch was collapsing. Finally, someone explained that the muscles in my feet were beginning to atrophy because my boots were so stiff. I switched to a lighter, softer low top and the problems have resolved. I've gone back down a full size ( feet still spread with age), my feet are stronger and healthier and do not get so fatigued after walking all day. Feet also need to breathe. Air em out once a day while walking. Let them cool off, stick them in water, love them, massage them. Buy them roses and chocolate. Ok, that's too much but you get the idea.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Balance make some great shoes and they suit lots of people. Just think about the waterproof aspect; if you are walking in warm weather you want shoes that don't make your feet sweat. And, regardless of what the marketers say, a lining that is waterproof will not be as breathable as some others. But fine in winter and cold weather or if you don't feel the heat or sweat much.
Actually Kanga they worked fine in both hot and cool weather. I just switched socks depending on how hot or cool I thought it would be. Look Ma, no blisters!

I had bought light Mendle boots but developed Achilles tendinitis after 1 month breaking them in. I went to a special shop and got insoles and gel heel cups and a pair of runners as an afterthought. I brought my heavy Mendle boots but found I walked in my runners most of the time and changed into my boots for steep descents. I posted my boots from Burgos to Ponferada ( Astorga would have been better) glad of the boots in the rain in Galicia.
I used Vaseline and liner socks and outer walking socks.
I got ONE blister and my tendinitis never bothered me.
I was very lucky.
AMDG

I have massively wide duck feet and find that New Balance is one of the few vendors that make 4E widths. That being said, I'm trying to break in a heavier pair of leather hiking boots right now. Since I won't be there until September I have a bit of time if I want to switch things up.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have massively wide duck feet and find that New Balance is one of the few vendors that make 4E widths. That being said, I'm trying to break in a heavier pair of leather hiking boots right now. Since I won't be there until September I have a bit of time if I want to switch things up.
Dave,
Just remember how many times you're going to have to pick up that foot. An ounce on your foot is different from an ounce on your back. You have to keep picking it up!

Hi all. I'm planning to walk the Camino in late August/Sept 2015. It feels a long way off but it has been great reading so many of your posts which is the next best thing to being there.

I'm also a Podiatrist so I take a special interest in discussions concerning footwear & lower limb injuries. I love the discussions on footwear & do agree that it is incredibly "individual specific". The ideal is to plan a long way out & trial footwear. Obviously, until you walk 30+ days in a row you wont really know. I also acknowledge those who have walked 30+ days bring a knowledge that I don't have so Im learning from you as well.

Specifically regards knee pain, that will be affected by many things including:
- previous knee injury
- current state of knee strength/health
- your biomechanics from the hip to your foot (how you walk)
- footwear -> supportive/unsupportive, high cut/low cut, flexible/rigid sole

Hi all. I'm planning to walk the Camino in late August/Sept 2015. It feels a long way off but it has been great reading so many of your posts which is the next best thing to being there.

I'm also a Podiatrist so I take a special interest in discussions concerning footwear & lower limb injuries. I love the discussions on footwear & do agree that it is incredibly "individual specific". The ideal is to plan a long way out & trial footwear. Obviously, until you walk 30+ days in a row you wont really know. I also acknowledge those who have walked 30+ days bring a knowledge that I don't have so Im learning from you as well.

- previous knee injury
Hi - it's good to hear someone with medical training weigh in on all of this. Out of more than idle curiosity, do you agree with obinjatoo's comment that wearing a stiff boot can potentially lead to more problems? That was my analysis too after my walk - my feet were constantly really swollen, which has never happened to me before. Did five weeks not flexing my ankles very much contribute to this? They started to swell after about 3 days, then got worse and worse. Took me over 2 months when I got home to get them back to normal, and that included doing foot exercises (bending up and down, circles in both directions) daily. That's why I've just switched to lighter low boots. I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this if you don't mind - thank you, Cherry

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Cherry. Happy to give my thoughts but it may frustrate you. Without knowing a persons detailed history & without physically examining them, I cant be specific. But talking in broad terms, the general advice would be a rigid heel/midfoot & flexible forefoot. This allows for good support through the rear/midfoot & then flexibility at heel lift when your weight is going through your forefoot.

We do sometimes recommend a rigid sole as this can encourage a "smoother weight" transition which can be helpful for people who have arthritic changes in the ankle & foot. A rigid sole can sometimes be referred to as a "rocker sole" where it tends to be rigid & has a curve from heel to toe.

BUT, having practiced for over 22 years, you learn more & more that EVERYONE is an individual & what works for one dos not work for another. There is no "cookie cutter" approach. That's why I think it's really helpful to plan 6-12 months out from a walk like the Camino & do a decent amount of preparation & determine what type of footwear works best for you. As you would have read, some wear rigid walking boots, some wear sneakers & some wear sandals. And I imagine there have been some to walk barefooted. None of them are wrong or right but you do need to find out what works for you.

For me personally, I'm wearing a pair of Merrell Moabs at the moment which I find really comfortable. I partly went with them because I also have size 14 feet which can be hard to find.

In July, my daughter and I walked from Leon to Santiago - I wore Keene's boots, and she wore Brooks tennis shoes. I had HORRIBLE blisters for nearly the whole time, but she had none. When we got to Sarria, a shoe shop said that the blisters were caused by moisture and heat, which the boots promoted. They said the part of the walk starting at Leon does not need boots, and I found that to be true. I have always been a real fanatic about ankle support, etc., but the lady at the shoe shop fitted me with Teva sandals, which I would have sworn I could never wear on even a short hike, but they worked wonderfully for the blisters (although I was still in pain, the blisters didn't get worse,) and I walked the next 50-plus miles in them. If I were to do the walk again I would wear tennis shoes for sure, if it is during the warmer months.
I have a pair of Teva sand lies for the nights. They are great.

Hey Mark.

I bought over five pairs of shoes before my second Camino. I wasted so much money. In the end I took my Brooks addiction which I have used for over a decade. And they were awesome.
Trust in your feet and what you know already works for you.
I didn't to start off with and got myself in to such a muddle. .....a very expensive one.
That's how I feel Lisa. I have spent so much money on shoes and they are not right. It s a pain that you don't really get the feel of them till you walk out with them and then you can't take me back. Hopefully I might be able to sell the ones I won't be using.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

- previous knee injury
So true Mark. My daughter is training to be a podiatrist and she came with me to look at the new shoes. My problem is technically not knee pain but a pain below the knee on the outside, where the tendons etc meet. I am sure that biomechanics have a lot to do with my walking.

Firstly I hope your Camino experience is everything & more than hope you for.

Where is your daughter studying Issy? All the best to her too.

Last edited:
We do sometimes recommend a rigid sole as this can encourage a "smoother weight" transition which can be helpful for people who have arthritic changes in the ankle & foot. A rigid sole can sometimes be referred to as a "rocker sole" where it tends to be rigid & has a curve from heel to toe.

BUT, having practiced for over 22 years, you learn more & more that EVERYONE is an individual & what works for one dos not work for another.

So true Mark. A rigid shoe was recommended for me (by a conclave of "experts" in a specialist shop, not a podiatrist) and after a week or so they were agony. I had to stop every couple of paces and wriggle my foot and toes.

I do think unexpected things happen on such a long walk. If you haven't walked the Camino yet you are in for a professional treat! Take lots of photos of Camino feet and you could claim the trip as a tax deduction. Although, if you don't want to be inundated with requests for free professional attention don't tell people what you do.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Firstly I hope your Camino experience is everything & more than hope you for.

Where is your daughter studying Issy? All the best to her too.
She is in 3rd year at Latrobe.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So true Mark. A rigid shoe was recommended for me (by a conclave of "experts" in a specialist shop, not a podiatrist) and after a week or so they were agony. I had to stop every couple of paces and wriggle my foot and toes.

I do think unexpected things happen on such a long walk. If you haven't walked the Camino yet you are in for a professional treat! Take lots of photos of Camino feet and you could claim the trip as a tax deduction. Although, if you don't want to be inundated with requests for free professional attention don't tell people what you do.
Agreed Kanga. I was recommended these very sturdy and rigid shoes. They are so rigid I get the feeling if I fell over my shoes would not move. They feel like wearing ski boots. Every time I walk in them my feet are so sore. Know I could not walk the Camino in them. Loving this forum to get other peoples advice who have actually walked the Camino.

That's a great place to study - hope she's enjoying it :)
She is loving it Mark. I think 2nd year was a little stressful but this year she is doing more practical and loving it. She had done a podiatry assistant course a few years ago and had worked for a podiatrist in Melbourne. It is so nice to have my own podiatrist to do my feet and nails before I leave.

OK, I'll weigh in again. If you like running shoes don't bother to read this. I never see New Balance listed. That's probably because they're made in Maine! The ones I wore (410g) are no longer made anymore but the following two are pretty close, one lighter and one heavier: 959 (382g) and 956 (468g). They both have the ADZORB tech which makes you feel as if you're walking on a mattress and super lateral stability for those rocks. The 956 has the metal loop shoelaces which I prefer but they're heavier. Almost a tradeoff but I like the metal loop laces as they give an even snugness when laced. Oh, and they're waterproof but we all know the Camino doesn't pay much attention to that!
I have New Balance WP leather hiking boots that are very comfortable. However, after they are not very breathable and I am worried about getting blisters. My Camino walk with be from mid-Sept to mid-October and I am wondering if it is necessary for WP boots. Can anyone offer some advice?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Janet. I didn't know New Balance made hiking boots. I assume that if they are comfortable & you have walked some reasonable "training" walks in them with no blisters, then they should be ok. I guess go prepared just in case you do get blisters. No one can guarantee you wont get blisters. You will get many others on the forum offering som excellent advice but find some posts on managing blisters, just in case.

I have New Balance WP leather hiking boots that are very comfortable. However, after they are not very breathable and I am worried about getting blisters. My Camino walk with be from mid-Sept to mid-October and I am wondering if it is necessary for WP boots. Can anyone offer some advice?
Hi Janet,
Mine are the lighter Goretex which translates to "waterproof" as long as it doesn't pour, which it did! We had about four days straight of downpour which they said was unusual. The Goretex kept the light rain out but when it poured it really didn't keep it from seeping in. One day I had to stop simply because I was walking in two waterlogged boats (no misspelling!). Socks are your key to no blisters.

I am on my way to pick up my hand made leather boots by Esatto Boots which were highly recommended on a Camino forum about a month ago. They will definitely be heavier, but they will be a perfect fit with enough room in the tow box and a place for the bone spurs near my big toes. I will have a couple of months to break them in. I sure hope they work.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am on my way to pick up my hand made leather boots by Esatto Boots which were highly recommended on a Camino forum about a month ago. They will definitely be heavier, but they will be a perfect fit with enough room in the tow box and a place for the bone spurs near my big toes. I will have a couple of months to break them in. I sure hope they work.

They sound fantastic Nancy. They will hopefully fit you like a glove. Will be really interested to hear how you find them.

A boot or shoe should be comfortable out of the box. I go mostly with a sturdy low top now. They make me more mindful of walking and where I put my feet. A sturdy sole is probably the most important aspect to ankle support. Unless you have real problems there. I was a guide in the mountains of the Inner Mountain West of the US for years and always wore high, stiff boots. After 10 years of carrying a stupid heavy pack, I began having problems with my feet. They were spreading and I was needing a bigger size every year or so and my arch was collapsing. Finally, someone explained that the muscles in my feet were beginning to atrophy because my boots were so stiff. I switched to a lighter, softer low top and the problems have resolved. I've gone back down a full size ( feet still spread with age), my feet are stronger and healthier and do not get so fatigued after walking all day. Feet also need to breathe. Air em out once a day while walking. Let them cool off, stick them in water, love them, massage them. Buy them roses and chocolate. Ok, that's too much but you get the idea.
I have to get some boots/shoes for my camino and was interested in your comment here , however I have a plate in my ankle (outside) and arthritis in the inside ankle due to a dislocation so I am nervous about this purchase and take on board what you say about the sole and sizing but worried about the ankle support I am a small/medium frame and have small ankles and big feet! So am worrying about not having the ankle fully supported? Thoughts???

I have to get some boots/shoes for my camino and was interested in your comment here , however I have a plate in my ankle (outside) and arthritis in the inside ankle due to a dislocation so I am nervous about this purchase and take on board what you say about the sole and sizing but worried about the ankle support I am a small/medium frame and have small ankles and big feet! So am worrying about not having the ankle fully supported? Thoughts???

Annie, I'm not a fan of boots either, but everyone has different needs. I'm not sure how it works in the UK but in Australia podiatrists are very well qualified - rigorous science based university degrees followed by post graduate training. If you have similarly qualified people in the UK I would go and see one - preferably someone with experience in sports medicine - and get professional advice. Don't rely on this forum. Or salesmen in a hiking store, no matter how good they seem. It is important to explain to the podiatrist what you need the shoes for - but that involves a look at your feet and gait and an accurate picture of the Camino. It is not mountain climbing. It is not rock hopping. It is not nearly as difficult as a bushwalk here. Very few people need boots. For the most part you are walking on well formed paths in reasonably gentle country. It is the distance and repetitive movement that makes the Camino arduous, not the ground. There are a few more difficult bits with loose scree, and for those I'd advise you to get some walking poles and learn how to use them properly. They are far more likely to save your ankles than boots or shoes.
And for the record I've never understood how boots gave "ankle support" unless they come up so high they completely enclose the ankle - and that could lead to tendonitis which definitely will stop your Camino.
I go back to my old advice - if you already have walking shoes you find comfortable, take them!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Annie, I'm not a fan of boots either, but everyone has different needs. I'm not sure how it works in the UK but in Australia podiatrists are very well qualified - rigorous science based university degrees followed by post graduate training. If you have similarly qualified people in the UK I would go and see one - preferably someone with experience in sports medicine - and get professional advice. Don't rely on this forum. Or salesmen in a hiking store, no matter how good they seem. It is important to explain to the podiatrist what you need the shoes for - but that involves a look at your feet and gait and an accurate picture of the Camino. It is not mountain climbing. It is not rock hopping. It is not nearly as difficult as a bushwalk here. Very few people need boots. For the most part you are walking on well formed paths in reasonably gentle country. It is the distance and repetitive movement that makes the Camino arduous, not the ground. There are a few more difficult bits with loose scree, and for those I'd advise you to get some walking poles and learn how to use them properly. They are far more likely to save your ankles than boots or shoes.
And for the record I've never understood how boots gave "ankle support" unless they come up so high they completely enclose the ankle - and that could lead to tendonitis which definitely will stop your Camino.
I go back to my old advice - if you already have walking shoes you find comfortable, take them!
Thank you for all your good advice, tomorrow I am going to cycle to Exeter and do a mass try on of footwear -I have always been in boots which incidentally is how I came to break and dislocate my ankle in the first place, so I am going to look at shoes now.... more on that subject later

Great advice Kanga - I am biased being a Podiatrist, but so many issues regards feet/footwear/injury could be addressed if prior to starting the Camino, or starting a new exercise program etc, people saw a Podiatrist, then got the right footwear. If you were going on a long drive from one side of the country to the other, most of us would have the mechanic check the car out - check the tires, check the engine etc. our feet/legs are exactly the same.

I suggest you strongly consider trainers (Asics, Brooks, or similar). No need to haul all that extra weight across Spain and no break in time required. If they do get wet, for whatever reason, stuff newspaper inside overnight and all will be well. This has worked for us for several thousand Camino miles. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a pair of Sportiva mountain shoes. They are good for me when I walk in Norwegian mountains, never blisters or any other problems. As I went to a spesial shoe store I told them about my plans , walking the french camino, they advised me to use low trainers , Gore Tex , and suited for my feet. So I will bring theese whit two pair of innersoles, and hope this will be right for me. I also bring a pair of soft sandals.

I tried on a couple of different pairs of much lighter boots at New Balance last night. Neither was 100% right but they're the closest I've found. They said I could wear them indoors for a couple of weeks at which point I could return them if I wanted.

I went ahead and purchased a pair of boots right off the bat :), a pair of Keen Targhee II. Had I waited to know more, I might have just used a pair of Merrell cross trainers as I now realize the camino is more gentle and boots would not be so essential. That having been said, I do love my boots and having a healed broken ankle I find the cushion in the area comforting. But better than the boots, I love my toe socks by injinji. They might be a bit of a pain to put on, but for me, they make all the difference- plus, of course, my beloved walking poles, which, as you mention, can save the day!

Starting in nine days and wishing a ¡Buen camino! to all- be it with boots or your trusted walking shoes.

Very helpful thread, I've learned plenty from books and this forum in the last few months and now that I'm getting closer to a September departure the education continues.

For instance, I'm reaching the point where I'm close to ditching gore tex/hiking shoes/boots and using my New Balance 1226 or something similar, during my training walks the heat buildup seems excessive without breathing. I'm thinking that "waterproofing" a low quarter shoe Is pretty much an exercise in futility, water or rain is gonna get in a low shoe!
Secondly, my other challenge, which REALLY narrows my choices is the fact that I'm not a little guy. I wear a size fifteen shoe, the narrower the better (try to find that!) and I'm discovering the phenomenon of foot swelling when walking several miles each day, yikes! What that means in my case is that the "one size larger" shoes I am now wearing are proving to be TOO SMALL!
(Sigh) it looks like a pair of SEVENTEENS are in my future!

Oh well, somebody's gotta keep amazon in business.....

Buen Camino, y'all!

Tio - crikey! I thought I had problems with size 13! Do you get the same as me when in a shoe shop? "Size 13? Oh dear, you might find those difficult to find" My reply usually me saying something like "oh, really, I didn't know, this is the first time I've had size 13 feet, they were size 8 when I woke up this morning"

A friend of mine did his second Camino, the Via de la Plata, in a pair of Crocs and never had any problems.

So, Tio - I think that you should wear what is comfortable. If you already have a pair of sandals, shoes, trainers, boots, that are already really comfortable then wear those!

David, as for your comment about "shoe shops", I haven't darkened their doors in decades. The internet has been my friend for many years, catalogs for years before that.
I have crocs and Tevas and probably take the Tevas with me but I don't think I wanna use either as prime movers.

David, as for your comment about "shoe shops", I haven't darkened their doors in decades. The internet has been my friend for many years, catalogs for years before that.

I now wear a size 12.5 in women's US sizes, so I hear you on that front.

If there's one thing I learned about footwear via my Camino experience, it's to not heed or give specific advice on the issue. General advice, sure, but recommending specific shoe types or models, no way. Had I heeded much of the well meaning specific advice I've read on this forum about footwear, I'd likely have gotten into serious foot/shoe trouble along the Way.

A mantra you need to hear over and over: your feet are very unique to YOU, and you, and only you, need to sort out the shoe issue on your own, well before you begin your camino. Having said this, I had numerous sessions with my physiotherapist prior to my camino, which included obtaining custom orthotics. The only specific advice I will heed is from a professional who, in person, has examined my feet, my gait, my injury history, and even then, I still need to walk several kilometres on various types of terrain (not just inside my house) to know if new shoes will be the right shoes for me over long distances. At the end of the day, I went with a high cut light hiker boot I'd owned already for several years; a bit worn down, but they were what worked for me. I also had low cut hikers for flatter terrain. Pilgrims have walked the Camino with everything from bare feet to heavy duty boots, which tells you the question of footwear is a very personal issue.

If I read another edict such as, you don't need boots, you do need boots, you must use trainers, you'll be fine wearing sandals .... I'm gonna scream! Forums like this are great for gathering general opinion/advice, but when it comes to making key, indeed critical, decisions on personalized equipment like footwear, the responsibility and decision rest with you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, I agree too. Spot on in regard to advice from a podiatrist. In addition all else being equal, go for the lightest option. A kilo on the foot is (according to Backpacker Light - so take with grain of salt) equivalent to 5 kilos on the back.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.