• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Swollen hands and fingers

bchikergirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept2014)
Partial Frances (July 2016)
Via Augusta (April 2019)
Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone else has been experiencing swollen hands when walking. I have been doing many training days getting ready for my Camino on September 13th this year, and I'm finding that when I walk, no matter how much I swing my arms, my hands and fingers swell up to the point where it's painful to make a fist. When I sit to rest, the swelling goes away fairly quickly. Any thoughts on how I can prevent this from happening?
Thanks!
Tanya

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Tanya,
It is sometimes referred to as "sausage fingers" and is very common in distance hiking. While your walking raise your hands above your head every once in a while this reduces the flow to you extemities. Also beware your feet are also swelling but isn't as noticeable. This is why most people recommend you were larger then normal size hiking boot. When resting you should also raise your feet.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks! I never thought of that. I have tried walking poles, but I can't quite seem to get the rhythm and find them more cumbersome than helpful. But I will try walking without so much arm movement :)

Hi Tanya, swinging your arms may actually be causing the problem, I have heard that using walking poles may help.

I think I can confirm that. While walking this summer, I noticed that if I was just carrying my poles instead of using them, my hands would swell up. It went away when I started using them while walking.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks! I never thought of that. I have tried walking poles, but I can't quite seem to get the rhythm and find them more cumbersome than helpful. But I will try walking without so much arm movement :)
There are several good videos on the subject on YouTube, I found it hard to get into the rhythm at first but now its second nature. My brother kept telling me when I practiced first "walk like a horse, walk like a horse" :)

My brother kept telling me when I practiced first "walk like a horse, walk like a horse" :)

Now, wayfarer, when your brother prescribed this, did he specify what kind of horse?

Was it something out of Coolmore Stud due to run at Punchestown races.....
.....or a nice kindly agèd Irish Draught horse ambling along country lanes...?

Personally I prefer to imagine you as a skittish Connemara pony!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There is one technique that might help reduce the oedema, and that is to walk with your forearms level. You will see this approach used by long distance runners and walkers, largely to save energy - swinging an extended arm takes more effort than swinging a bent one. But the other benefit is that it is easy to return blood from the fingers if you aren't flinging it down to your fingertips each time you swing your arms.

Last edited:
I have terrible problems with swollen fingers when walking - the skin feels tight and very uncomfortable. But as soon as I started to use poles the swelling stopped. I use Pacerpoles. They were instantly comfortable, although I had not used hiking poles before. The hand grips feel entirely natural and the poles seem to automatically fall in the right place to aid walking at a steady level pace.

I have to admit that I did feel a bit silly using them initially, but would not be without them now.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I don't walk with my poles the same thing happens to me. I just hold my hands up and open and shut my fingers for a bit. Stretch them out and sing "open shut them, open shut them give a little clap......." (I know kids do this to you send you bit loopy)

There are several good videos on the subject on YouTube, I found it hard to get into the rhythm at first but now its second nature. My brother kept telling me when I practiced first "walk like a horse, walk like a horse" :)
I would second wayfarer. I've had many problems getting used to the walking poles after my alpinistic injury 25 years ago, but "walk like a horse" was and still is exactly my way of solving the problem :) It sounds like "tok, tok, ..., ..., tok, tok, ..., ..." when walking on flat and left leg-right arm/viceversa when going steeply uphill ("tok, tok, tok, tok,...").
I forgot to mention that I was dealing with the same swelling hands problem before.

Ultreia!

Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone else has been experiencing swollen hands when walking. I have been doing many training days getting ready for my Camino on September 13th this year, and I'm finding that when I walk, no matter how much I swing my arms, my hands and fingers swell up to the point where it's painful to make a fist. When I sit to rest, the swelling goes away fairly quickly. Any thoughts on how I can prevent this from happening?
Thanks!
Tanya

When I walk at a quick pace, I get swollen fingers also. But using walking poles eliminates it completely for me. If you don’t like using poles you can try just holding on to your shoulder straps now and then; that usually works too.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The is one technique that might help reduce the oedema, and that is to walk with your forearms level. You will see this approach used by long distance runners and walkers, largely to save energy - swinging an extended arm takes more effort than swinging a bent one. But the other benefit is that it is easy to return blood from the fingers if you aren't flinging it down to your fingertips each time you swing your arms.
Maybe why our fingers don't sweel. Using a single pole cut to hold with hand at right angles to the elbow (forearms level) means our hands are regularly 'up'. We tend to swap hands with the poles as we walk so both are OK. Interesting.

Swollen feet may be eased by loosening you boot straps at mid-day. Hands and fingers - play with the straps of your backpack it may be something that simple. Cool weather walking often requires an out layer, at mid-day that layer is usually removed and the straps tightened, next morning the straps aren't properly re-adjusted and blood circulation may be affected - just a thought.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Having done a few long hikes with packs ranging from 70lbs (32kg) to 20lbs (9kg) I've found that periodically resting my arms on the chest strap of my pack is good. Especially up hills. Oh, the biggest difference in my pack weight is due to how much cerveza I am carrying. Just kidding:p Well, maybe not;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think I can confirm that. While walking this summer, I noticed that if I was just carrying my poles instead of using them, my hands would swell up. It went away when I started using them while walking.
Hola Tanya!
You've been given some good advice here already. I'll add my two cents worth gleaned from USMC training and my own Camino. I'd give all the effort you can to getting used to the walking poles. In addition to lessening or eliminating the hands/fingers swelling, you'll find them a great aid when the walking conditions are difficult/extreme. They provide great leverage for both up hills and down steep/rocky descents. If that still doesn't work, get in the habit of hooking your thumbs under your backpack straps high up next to your shoulders and letting your arms hang as loosely as you can. A combination of both these techniques may be the best while carrying your poles across the top or side of your pack.

And, pat yourself on the back for getting this issue under control before starting on your camino!
All the best,
Pilgrim Farmer John

I suffer from the same problem. Using two walking poles / hiking sticks helps as it raises your hands a foot or more from the full down and swinging position. However, this past year, on my second Camino Frances, I hit on a solution that really worked well.

Actually, I was trying to adopt a version of the weight balancing that the New Zealand AARN brand rucksacks provide. Every Kiwi or Aussie I meant with one of these bags swore by the benefits of moving a few Kilos to the front from the back. I wanted to add a chest pack to my Osprey Kestrel 48 rucksack.

I obtained a cuben fiber chest bag from ZPacks.com (http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml) and configured it to ride over my "tummy." It is very light weight). Although the intent was to shift weight to the front from my rucksack, there was a collateral benefit.

While walking the Meseta in May, with my Leki walking sticks collapsed and stowed on my rucksack, I learned that I could rest my hands atop the ZPacks "chest / tummy" bag. There were nylon straps to hook my thumbs around. I could walk for hours this way. It was a very welcome and pleasant surprise.

As I understand it, the more level or higher than your heart your hands are, the less they will swell. Clearly, when you are walking with your free arms and hand swinging, your hands are at their lowest...unless you are a "knuckledragger..."

But seriously, that is why you will see people raise their arms while running, riding bikes long distances, or even trekking on a Camino. The purpose is to allow the blood in their lower arms and hands to flow back to the chest. Please bear in mind this is a layperson's assessment. But your doctor would likely bear this out and better explain it.

I hope this helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks so much everyone! It's been great reading your comments and hearing your advice, I appreciate it.
If you are on the Camino between Sept 13 - Oct 30th and come across someone either walking awkwardly with poles, or with hands in the air... that'll probably be me!
And maybe together we can unswell our fingers with the cervasa exercise :)
Ultreya!

BTW, I was known for many things when I thru-hiked the AT, but the most celebrated is that, I did indeed carry up to a six-pack of Coors Light. As I was usually the first up and moving quickly as the temps ranged higher, many folks knew that, should they be the first to approach a fast rushing stream without a man made bridge, if they stopped and looked up stream about six paces...I would leave a beer in the ice cold water. So, should you find a long haul on the Camino, and I happen to be in front of you and the day is hot...look for me at the next bar and I will buy you a cerveza. Too fond of my 9kg pack to carry any myself. Lastly, Orisson is my first stop from SJPP.

BTW, I was known for many things when I thru-hiked the AT, but the most celebrated is that, I did indeed carry up to a six-pack of Coors Light. As I was usually the first up and moving quickly as the temps ranged higher, many folks knew that, should they be the first to approach a fast rushing stream without a man made bridge, if they stopped and looked up stream about six paces...I would leave a beer in the ice cold water. So, should you find a long haul on the Camino, and I happen to be in front of you and the day is hot...look for me at the next bar and I will buy you a cerveza. Too fond of my 9kg pack to carry any myself. Lastly, Orisson is my first stop from SJPP.
That's a deal!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks!
Tanya
Hi there ,
I think I may be able to help a little more from my experiences - The weight of your pack is not sitting above your hips , causing your shoulder straps to pinch the blood flow to your arms.
Set up your pack(if you can) so that the all the weight is on your hips , you hips will even bruise the first week - I do as a GUY!!.
Some packs are ill fitting and Ladies' backs cannot be accommodated - you need to set the 'back adjustment' as short as possible so that it does not rest on your bum.
Then loosen you sholder straps just a little so that the pack is an inch or two off your shoulders at the back - do not create a situation where the pack is 'pulling you back'
Failing this , loosen the shoulder straps and find some foam to tape around the harsh nylon straps that are simply cutting off the blood flow - Please let me know if it works - sure it will - I am dyslexic so I hope I have managed to make sense- :)

Hi there ,
I think I may be able to help a little more from my experiences - The weight of your pack is not sitting above your hips , causing your shoulder straps to pinch the blood flow to your arms.
Set up your pack(if you can) so that the all the weight is on your hips , you hips will even bruise the first week - I do as a GUY!!.
Some packs are ill fitting and Ladies' backs cannot be accommodated - you need to set the 'back adjustment' as short as possible so that it does not rest on your bum.
Then loosen you sholder straps just a little so that the pack is an inch or two off your shoulders at the back - do not create a situation where the pack is 'pulling you back'
Failing this , loosen the shoulder straps and find some foam to tape around the harsh nylon straps that are simply cutting off the blood flow - Please let me know if it works - sure it will - I am dyslexic so I hope I have managed to make sense- :)
Thanks! I do adjust my pack almost every time I put it on, I will give your method a try :)

Yes, walking poles eliminate this problem as well as many others! So much easier on joints when walking with packs for long distances. I wouldn't go without them. But that's me!
Hi Tanya, swinging your arms may actually be causing the problem, I have heard that using walking poles may help.[/QUOTE

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This is more common than you may think. Two options - without poles: regularly lightly grip your rucksack straps at chest height as you walk - with poles: folk tend to have their poles much too low, raise them until your arms are higher than horizontal. This may seem awkward at first but it becomes pleasant very quickly - think of a single pilgrim staff and how high that is held - about chest height.

If you don't like the 'two sticks' option then carry a proper pilgrim staff and swap hands every now and then.

With feet - rest with feet elevated for twenty minutes or so a couple of times during the day and in the evening - you can even put a pillow under them in bed. If you elevate your legs for about half an hour in the evening you will get an urge to go to the toilet and there will be less chance of you waking up to go for a pee as you will have 'emptied more' before going to bed.

Hope this helps ;)

This is more common than you may think. Two options - without poles: regularly lightly grip your rucksack straps at chest height as you walk - with poles: folk tend to have their poles much too low, raise them until your arms are higher than horizontal. This may seem awkward at first but it becomes pleasant very quickly - think of a single pilgrim staff and how high that is held - about chest height.
Certainly, the pole height should be adjusted so that at rest, the forearm is close to the horizontal and the hand is below the elbow when using the poles. There appears to be some evidence that having the hand above the elbow creates other circulation problems. So for long term use, at higher altitudes or in cold environments it is not advisable to have poles too long. For most pilgrims walking in summer, this is probably a moot point, and they won't suffer any ill-effects from having their poles too long (or too short).

For those new to walking poles -

"Setting the correct height of your trekking poles:
When your walking pole is set at the correct height for you and you are holding the handle of the pole with the tip on the ground, your elbow should be bent at about 90 degrees. Some people prefer a slightly longer pole, some prefer it shorter. Try different heights until you find a height that suits you for the majority of walking conditions you encounter."

http://www.headtothehills.co.uk/articles/92-gear-guide-how-to-use-walking-poles.html

Check the photo of the chap in the light blue top, his are set to above chest height - avoids the swelling of hands and gives more stability on rough terrain and descents.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For those new to walking poles -

"Setting the correct height of your trekking poles:
When your walking pole is set at the correct height for you and you are holding the handle of the pole with the tip on the ground, your elbow should be bent at about 90 degrees. Some people prefer a slightly longer pole, some prefer it shorter. Try different heights until you find a height that suits you for the majority of walking conditions you encounter."

http://www.headtothehills.co.uk/articles/92-gear-guide-how-to-use-walking-poles.html

Check the photo of the chap in the light blue top, his are set to above chest height - avoids the swelling of hands and gives more stability on rough terrain and descents.
@David, thank you for sharing this link. As an experienced pole user, the advice given is good, but they do advocate a style closer to Nordic walking than I think most pilgrims would find useful.

I did check out the photo, as well as the others on the site. They have generally been taken at extreme angles, making it very difficult to make assessments about the relative position of objects to each other. This includes the one you are relying on to demonstrate your point. I think you have been misled by the perspective in the photo, and it doesn't really demonstrate your point.

The one photo that does support your point is at the bottom of the page, where the first three trekkers appear to be using a Nordic walking style and pole length to walk uphill. Experienced trekking pole users are more likely to shorten their poles in these circumstances to get better leverage from their arms, not lengthen the poles as these walkers have done. The last person of the four in that photo appears to have adjusted his poles to a more conventional length.

Regards,

Hi there ,

Hi @RENSHAW. I have the same problem with swollen fingers whether or not I am carrying a backpack. I had assumed it was a "woman's" problem before reading this thread. It's good to know that some of you guys can 'share the pain', so to speak.

Hi there ,

Hi @RENSHAW. I have the same problem with swollen fingers whether or not I am carrying a backpack. I had assumed it was a "woman's" problem before reading this thread. It's good to know that some of you guys can 'share the pain', so to speak.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey bchikergirl, we are just north of Kelowna and are doing the Le Puy route starting the 15th of September. When we walk here, we don't use poles and remark about our sausage fingers.
On our camino last year we used poles and they totally fixed it. We also left our rings at home.
I don't recall having sausage fingers when I was younger!

Thanks!
Tanya
Hi, Tanya!

While I agree with the other responses, another thing to consider: Don't wear rings! If you do, you might consider some that seem much too large.

Hey bchikergirl, we are just north of Kelowna and are doing the Le Puy route starting the 15th of September. When we walk here, we don't use poles and remark about our sausage fingers.
On our camino last year we used poles and they totally fixed it. We also left our rings at home.
I don't recall having sausage fingers when I was younger!
Thanks Canucks, I am just a little bit south of you in Oliver! Maybe it really is time to rethink the poles.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks!
Tanya
Hi Tanya,
I have often had this issue myself and found that walking poles completely alleviated the problem, probably because they help increase circulation. Also make sure you are keeping hydrated.
Good luck!

I can confirm that, too, and several of us commented on it last fall. I've noticed around home when I go for walks without my sticks my hands are swelling up, whereas on the camino I used poles all the time and never had any swelling, only a stripe across the back of my hands where the sun never reached!

Thanks!
Tanya

Trekking poles (walking sticks) really help with preventing sausage fingers. And poles help in various ways while long distance walking. There are many different situations along The Way where I was glad to have them. They are worth the investment, as far as I'm concerned. Just make sure to us rubber tips on them for others' sanity around you!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.