• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Awesome Guy Who Has Lived 4 Years In A Farmer's Shed Near Astorga

life is a camino

It's been almost 1 year since I walked the Camino from Vezelay to Santiago, but I still remember my encounter with David and his Romanian friend Andri. The place is called La Casa de Los Dioses. Has anyone been by there recently? I hope they're doing alright, and maybe even managed to buy the shed.

I wrote a blog post about David called "The Richest Man in the World," in case you're interested.

http://lifeisacamino.com/2013/10/16/the-richest-man-in-the-world/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Late last November David was, as usual, most hospitable. East of Astorga on the inland path after Santibanez de Valdeiglesias and before the Cruz de Santo Toribo is his simple place of true generosity, the Casa de los Dioses. There on a vast plain with sweeping vistas west toward the last camino peaks David has set up a pilgrim oasis. Sheltered by a vast adobe barn partly covered with vibrant graffiti David offers a welcome seat and coffee, tea, juices, fruits and cookies to all who pass. All that he so willingly provides he has carried from the nearest village for there is neither water nor garden here. However what is most plentiful at David's is a most special spirit and unconditional, selfless love.

MM

Yes, I love this man David. He was the highlight of my entire trip. I know that sounds strange, with all the beautiful churches and vistas and all...but for me, his love and his choice of how to live his life, without possessions and entirely for others, provided the most meaningful moment of the 800 k. The small spiral maze as you walk towards him, his assertion that God is in all things (thus the plural: de los Dioses), the absence of possessions, pretention or pride, the hug and simple message (trust in God) he sent everyone off with...all these things were somehow what I was looking for all along, without knowing till I found it. Given that my personal pilgrimage was undertaken for my sweet grandson, who fought cancer the year leading up to my pilgrimage (we thought he had made it through, but he died two months after I got back)... I think my heart was always on the lookout for solace and a true connection to something divine. This little stand somehow provided it. So glad this thread is celebrating David!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When leaving Hospital de Obrigo, take the right hand route out of town if you want to visit David, it was a great place for a break, everything there is donativo but please leave a generous donation to keep it going.

One of the very fine things which happen before the Camino, is getting to speak to those who have gone before, such as on a Forum such as this. People are in a true sense "evangelicos", ....Greek for the bearers and shares of good news . They are Peregrinos who tell you where to find a meal, a place to rest your head, and water your camel. They also tell the good news of where to to find a gracious soul such as David the host and his friend along the Way, at Casa de Los Dioses. I had heard about him before but forgot a few details. Now that I heard this good news again, I believe that thus us a holy Nudge, and we will change our plans, and walk another 35 km to visit this Place of Grace. Thanks to the person mentioning it one more time.
I noticed in some conversations about el Camino, and suspect that the word "Religious" is so heavy laden with institutional baggage, that it often receives a deep groan and sigh, when mentioned. Persons often say " I am not a religious person". I find "Spiritual" is a kinder reference, and encompasses so many of the wonderful aspects of el Camino. This "David by the Side of the Road" is what Spiritual talk is about.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When leaving Hospital de Obrigo, take the right hand route out of town if you want to visit David, it was a great place for a break, everything there is donativo but please leave a generous donation to keep it going.
That is quite right Bajaracer, it is possible to take the more direct route by going straight on When leaving Hospital de Obrigo to Astorga but you must take the right hand slightly longer route.

That is quite right Bajaracer, it is possible to take the more direct route by going straight on When leaving Hospital de Obrigo to Astorga but you must take the right hand slightly longer route.
I'd go a step farther and recommend not stopping in Hospital de Orbigo, but taking the right-hand path another 2 or 3 kilometers to the small village of Villares de Orbigo where you can stay in a lovely albergue run by Pablo and Belen, and share one of their delicious home-cooked meals. It's then only a short walk of two hours or so through some delightful scenery to David's oasis. If you get an early start, you'll probably be in Astorga by lunch time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I got to meet and hang out with david in late fall of 2012. I pedaled out of Leon AFTER having completed my pilgrimage to Santiago. I had left my bike at that little gear shop near the cathedral where I bought a pack so I could walk the rest of the way to Santiago. Anyway, it was late fall by then and it was really cold coming out of Leon that morning. I wanted to take that scenic route to Astorga. I had no idea David was there. A head wind had kicked up (now it was cold AND windy) by the time I reached David's little Shangri-La I was soaked through with sweat from pedaling into a cold head wind. I was approaching hypothermia and he saw me, cleared a spot on the couch by his wood stove (where he was cooking a large pot of vegetarian stew) and invited me to sit. I took off most of my clothing (keeping within decency's protocol) and proceeded to get warm and dry. I sat there for 2 or 3 hours eating, hanging out and just enjoying the day. There was a young couple there also I think they may have been German. They had the 3 legged border collie who was by all accounts the happiest dog I'd ever met. Actually at that time he still had all 4 legs but the one had been badly maimed when he had gotten hit by a car and left by a roadside. The couple had rescued him and were walking to Santiago. I don't recall if they were pushing him in a baby stroller or pulling him in a cart of sorts. The dog could walk and loved to chase a ball but would tire easily when walking. Does anybody remember meeting them?
Anyway, David's little oasis was other worldly. It was like stepping through a veil between the worlds. Everyone who came by walked away warm, full and smiling. There was a sense of joy there that was infectious. Of all my time on the Camino that was one of the most profound encounters and I had a few.
I hope he is still there also. What an example of unconditional love and charity. He would not touch the money that people put in his donativo box. I think he felt it was polluted or unclean or whatever.
If he is there, please let us know. I am going back next month and I may go that way again just to see him.
Thanks for mentioning him, I will remember him for the rest of my life.

I remember stopping there in early October 2012, just to have a snack and something to drink. I don't think I've ever met anyone who so truly seemed to be living their beliefs of simplicity and helping others. I made some comment about his living situation and he gave me a quote that has stuck with me since- " Simplicity is the God of Happiness". It rings true to me because the time spent living out of my backpack, sleeping in albergues and sharing meals with other pilgrims, certainly the simplest existence I've ever known, was by far the happiest I've ever been.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This was one of the highlights of my Camino. I remember feeling tired and the road towards Astorga seemed to go on forever. We stopped at David's oasis, a young man with a guitar sang me a song, and as I hugged David goodbye I had a very strong urge just to stop there, perhaps for a long time. But I continued to Astorga, although I often wonder if I shouldn't have listened to that little voice.

I'm walking again in October for a bit and had thought to start just after Astorga. Maybe I will start just before.

Donna

I have the pleasure to have meet David in 2012 and it truly shows how the camino should be, no worries about what the best gear is and how many months of training you had before the camino. Just pure love to being on the camino and to be a life.

He told us how every day he walks to astorga to get the food he offers the pilgrims and how he cleans the 6klm between where he lives and astorga.
"Plastic bottles and other more nasty left overs", we asked him why he does that everyday and he told us that every piece of garbage on the camino can ruin a beautiful comment of inner meditation, so if it's in his power to clean those 6klm to help pilgrims reach that peace ,he would gladly do it. Just a great person

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, I love this man David. He was the highlight of my entire trip. I know that sounds strange, with all the beautiful churches and vistas and all...but for me, his love and his choice of how to live his life, without possessions and entirely for others, provided the most meaningful moment of the 800 k. The small spiral maze as you walk towards him, his assertion that God is in all things (thus the plural: de los Dioses), the absence of possessions, pretention or pride, the hug and simple message (trust in God) he sent everyone off with...all these things were somehow what I was looking for all along, without knowing till I found it. Given that my personal pilgrimage was undertaken for my sweet grandson, who fought cancer the year leading up to my pilgrimage (we thought he had made it through, but he died two months after I got back)... I think my heart was always on the lookout for solace and a true connection to something divine. This little stand somehow provided it. So glad this thread is celebrating David!
Hello homa- bird were you the beautiful pilgrim I assisted with my cell phone at the pilgrim office while I was an Amigo there? If so I am so very sorry to hear about your grandson. Will keep you in my prayers. Peace

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Is he still there? I know he had a big fund raising project recently. Stopping at his place was a highlight of my Camino. David oozes kindness and spirituality.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes - I met him and found his delightful respite in late June - what a wonderful break in a beautiful spot - I cherish the memory :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's been almost 1 year since I walked the Camino from Vezelay to Santiago, but I still remember my encounter with David and his Romanian friend Andri. The place is called La Casa de Los Dioses. Has anyone been by there recently? I hope they're doing alright, and maybe even managed to buy the shed.

I wrote a blog post about David called "The Richest Man in the World," in case you're interested.

Just happened to be thinking of Andrei today as I sat for coffee with a friend and found your blog after searching for him on Google. So glad I did! I met him a few months ago, and he has left a lasting impression- a genuine gift of the camino. Strange to think you can miss someone after only a chance encounter. Thanks for blog post! Grateful to see such a tribute. Andri.camino.jpg Andri.camino.jpg

Had the pleasure of arriving at this oasis again towards the end of August. I always find it most welcome after the long up and down haul towards it. He is a lovely man and it is a special stop (and step) on one's way.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Shed bought and knocked down for the most part, vision still strong but Andri has moved on ......

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Late last November before Astorga it was great fun to stop once again at David's Casa de los Dioses; the weather was clear and David SO happy to tell me about the various pilgrims that earlier I had suggested stop and talk with him. Furthermore he was excited to show the changes to his new big barn; slowly his long dream of a pilgrim meeting place within a forest locale is coming true as his selfless goodness spreads. Long may it be so.

He, David, was still there November 2014 when I passed by - a true saint of the way. SY

casa-dioses-astorga.jpg

Here a photo from November 2014 of David at the casa, sorry, had to crop it a bit as the pilgrim on Davids right side was always very concerned about his online privacy ;-) SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In very thick mist, at 8am on 13 November 2013, and still dark, my sister and I found ourselves outside the parish albergue in Hospital de Orbigo with the door firmly shut behind us. We walked on to Villares for coffee, but the village was still fast asleep. It must have been about 10am, and we’re now very hungry and still coffeeless, when a food and drink stall loomed out of the mist. Then just as quickly vanished again. We looked at each other. “Did you see that?” “No, it’s not real, we’re imagining it.” A few steps later a voice near the coffee pot said to us “Welcome to Paradise!”

Awesome guy. I know someone said donations is there anything we can bring him? :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't want to rain on this love fest but what about giving some respect to the poor, lost, homeless souls who habituate the Camino. They may not be productive citizens, but due to PTSD from military service or various mental disorder they are walking with us too. They ebb and flow from place to place and even though you might find them glued to beer can early in the morning, they need our help and support because there is no safety net for them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It was October 13, 2015 that my husband and I spent time at "The house of the Gods". It was anything but ordinary - a little oasis before Astorga where you can help yourself to food and drink for free. You can drop a donation in a tin if you wish, but it isn’t necessary. We had made a note to look for “The House of the Gods” around Astorga, something our daughter Tania recommended.

Unfortunately David was away that day but we learned about life there from Suzie. She had quite a story to tell about how she came to stay there. She got this far on the Camino de Santiago and felt this is where she belongs. She feels no urge to complete her pilgrimage by reaching Santiago. She had found what she was looking for.

Every day is a blank slate and Suzie never knows what will be written on it from one day to the next. She lives completely in the moment with no expectations. Time has slowed down. They have no technology, just two cats, three chickens and this little place. They keep busy doing such things as getting their water 1.5 km away, cleaning up the Camino, and working on their project of expanding their chicken pen to accommodate more chickens.

I will return in May, 2019 and look forward to meeting David who I have heard so much about. I hope he will not be away this time.

I spent some time with David when I passed through in late September and I detected a great deal of weariness in him.

He said he’d been there every day now for nine years, offering support and sustenance for all of us passing Pilgrims.

I felt that it won’t be too long before he walks again, as we all yearn to do,

A legendary figure.

Muchas gracias, David98E73362-29E3-4E70-8AE9-24239C5C1332.jpeg

Latest from him: He was recently walking Camino de Invierno barefoot, sleeping mostly in the rough. He said
«I had to kill the character I had created myself, that David in The Gods' House, so I decided to leave the place and all the things I had done in it».
No shoes, no money, he walks slower than the rest because if he walks any faster, his feet will pay for it. He finds joy in a water spring or in receiving whatever Providence brings to him, he does not beg for money either.

This is an article about him.

https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...-descalzo-dinero-feliz/0003_201810M7C3991.htm

Update: David has returned home, I never met him but I will this time. Interesting that David has returned due to the caretaker of the house, Luca receiving a different intention from pilgrims. I met Luca and spent some time with him talking and receiving a tour of the little Oasis of positivity. I thanked Luca, left a donation and walked with a friend towards Astorga. On route I commented to my friend that there was something disingenuous about Luca, his energy wasn't aligned with the place he had claimed to have created. I left feeling a little jaded and was privately critical too my friend about what I thought was Lucas motives, primarily motivated by money and donations. I now understand why David has decided to return home 🤠

This article confirms Davids decision 🙏

Update: David has returned home, I never met him but I will this time. Interesting that David has returned due to the caretaker of the house, Luca receiving a different intention from pilgrims. I met Luca and spent some time with him talking and receiving a tour of the little Oasis of positivity. I thanked Luca, left a donation and walked with a friend towards Astorga. On route I commented to my friend that there was something disingenuous about Luca, his energy wasn't aligned with the place he had claimed to have created. I left feeling a little jaded and was privately critical too my friend about what I thought was Lucas motives, primarily motivated by money and donations. I now understand why David has decided to return home 🤠

This article confirms Davids decision 🙏

The article says that David Vidal has returned because he thought that the pilgrims were not treating Luca well? -- Perhaps it is a mistranslation?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've only read the English translation but eitherway you get back what you give out so maybe Luca is not surprised and grateful too be on his own journey. I expect camino walkers can be more demanding, challenging and difficult. Then they become pilgrims and learn to go with the flow 🤠

€60,-
The article says that Luca wasn't treating the pilgrims well.
Thank you, I thought that must have been the case, but I admit that my ability to conjugate in Spanish is beginner level.... and my guess is that Google Translate wasn’t doing much better.

I met David in Nov 2012, lovely warm-hearted fellow on a cold day.

I was there in late 2016 and 2017; one of those times David's replacement was there, stripped down to his underwear working in the garden. I always pause there awhile, and as I sat there, many pilgrims walking along saw him, commented on his attire and walked on without stopping. Days later I spoke to someone who said when they'd gone by, he was naked and dancing around.

I'd asked where David was, and he told me he was in Barcelona dealing with a family matter.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back