• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Typical... just when you thought you had it all figured out...

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
So, as you will know, I've had an interesting journey with my various boots and shoes so far.
  • After a few false starts I purchased a pair of Mamut boots/ I've got about 50km on them now and still no problems.
  • I also have a pair of Keen sandals and I've been wearing them as my 'shoe'... and they too seem to be fine.
  • I also decided to try a pair of Crocs... flipflops. I've loved wearing them like slippers.
So today I was puppy sitting for a friend and decided to walk up and down the lane a few times to take our little guest for a stroll.

I kept the flip-flops on and after just 15 minutes of walking I got the worst blister I've had ... right between my toes... it burst, split the skin between my toe and feels really sore! I've walked all these miles and a stroll down the lane in flip-flops gives me my biggest problem :confused: :confused: :) :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Leave those flip flops at home - in fact I'd bin them now. Just goes to show a blister can happen very quickly. Les, you need to recognise the "hot spot" happening and stop when it does - and pad or tape or change socks or something.
Might your toes be a vulnerable area? Learn how to tape them or try toe socks or carry some gel tubing, if you think it might be an issue.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have wore my walking shoes twice 'trying to walk them in for camino in sept' 1st day got a blister and last night '2nd time wearing' was still really sore. I have been putting a plaster over so hopefully heals quick! Do I keep wearing the same socks covering the blister area to walk both socks and shoes in? I'm doing a mountain walk on sat and feel like wearing my trainers :(

I have wore my walking shoes twice 'trying to walk them in for camino in sept' 1st day got a blister and last night '2nd time wearing' was still really sore. I have been putting a plaster over so hopefully heals quick! Do I keep wearing the same socks covering the blister area to walk both socks and shoes in? I'm doing a mountain walk on sat and feel like wearing my trainers :(

If the shoes hurt now, just imagine how much worse they will be after a week of 20km days. Wear your trainers on Saturday and on Camino. I do. It is a real mistake IMO to abandon comfortable shoes that work for something that does not.

Andrea,
The same thing happened to me. I brought them back to the store where I bought them and some guy there gave me great advice.
In the end, I changed my shoes to ones which were far more comfortable.
No blisteres since.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last year my wife suffered terribly with blisters and when she said she was taking her newish pair of Merrell's Barefoot shoes, I was sceptical to say the least. Well she wore a pair of med weight socks with her Merrell shoes and they got her through the Ingles route without any problems. We did have some rain and some boggy places and she managed to stay dry, my only fear being she may twist her ankles with only wearing shoes on some of the rougher paths, but again no problems!
Now she is so attached to them she is wearing them each time we go out walking, but she does agree they are summer wear only and will go back to her boots come the Autumn.
If you want to take a look I have attached an image of the beloved shoes;)

Attachments

• MRL-W57258-032912.jpeg
    MRL-W57258-032912.jpeg
    5.6 KB · Views: 41
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
she does agree they are summer wear only and will go back to her boots come the Autumn.
;)

Big mistake. She's better off wearing the comfortable shoes and taking an extra couple of pairs of socks and maybe some gaiters. The shoes will dry quickly if they get wet, and mud washes off.

Last edited:
Big mistake. She's better off wearing the comfortable shoes and taking an extra couple of pairs of socks and maybe some gaiters. The shoes will dry quickly if they get wet, andud washes off.
Typical just when you thought you had got it all figured out ......;wink

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
One of my favourite themes on this forum is the 'I've bought thirteen pairs of boots and none of them fit' one - I'd thought it was only my guilty secret, owning expensive walking boots I always leave at home in favour of cheaper trail runners!
I Reckon its time you and my wife got together and opened a walking boots shop: Mail Order 'Worn for testing only brand new walking boots .co"

I've decided my footwear problems (and other problems as well), which are an ongoing struggle, can all be boiled down to a Samuel Beckett quote, "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the faults of his feet." I started considering this possibility after I was trying on some shoes and had concluded they were both too tight and too loose, all at the same time!

Last edited:
They are worse than Crocs.
And that's saying something.

Regds
Gerard
Would those be live crocks your talking about Gerad you guys in Oss seem to favour them I was led to understand. You could always double wrap that buff you found round the critters jaws?;) Think we've figured that one out mate!!:cool:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi LesBrass - and others that cannot seem to find good fitting boots - could it possibly be that it is not the boots/shoes at all and perhaps you need to get fitted for orthotics that compensate for the irregularities in your foot? I bought my Salamon boots and thought they seemed fine, started training with them and had all sorts of problems with my left foot. I had custom-made orthotics made and although I do not head out for the Camino until September 4th - the walking that I have done over the last months has been without problems. So for all you people that keep trying different boots - it might not be the boots - but your feet??!! Just a thought - Good Luck.

... could it possibly be that it is not the boots/shoes at all and perhaps you need to get fitted for orthotics that compensate for the irregularities in your foot?

quite possibly... I am going to arrange an appointment tomorrow and see if I can get something made. I think my new boots are ok... but they are heavier than I wanted... but ok when walking. I think I do have odd feet... very wide, I have a slight curved spine so this will impact on how I walk and I have problems with the two big toe nails since my cancer treatment... my feet are just a joy (at least they dont smell) :D

I gave the flip-flops to my sister today... she was very happy!

I've also ordered a pair of simple Decathlon walking sandals... they arrive in my local branch so I can go and try them on... before I buy :)

I'm selling my Merrells... they are just way too big!

My husband is keeping the first Decathlon shoe I bought... too big and too narrow for me... perfect for him

I'm trying to convince myself that I'm making progress and I'm getting organised... :p :D :rolleyes:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Maybe - Buy men's shoe! They are bigger over the foot. It is so very different between different people... Me and my daughter started in Pamplona 24th of June - we are in Ponferrada today and taking a train to Sarria this afternoon.
My daughter had used her shoes only once (!) before we went of to the camino. Once! 9 km's from school to our house...! So far, 300 km's... No blisters at all!!! I have used my pair of shoes much more and haven had any blisters either. Accually none of my hiking shoes have given me problems... But give me a pair of ladies model, and i'm of!!

quite possibly... I am going to arrange an appointment tomorrow and see if I can get something made. I think my new boots are ok... but they are heavier than I wanted... but ok when walking. I think I do have odd feet... very wide, I have a slight curved spine so this will impact on how I walk and I have problems with the two big toe nails since my cancer treatment... my feet are just a joy (at least they dont smell) :D

I gave the flip-flops to my sister today... she was very happy!

I've also ordered a pair of simple Decathlon walking sandals... they arrive in my local branch so I can go and try them on... before I buy :)

I'm selling my Merrells... they are just way too big!

My husband is keeping the first Decathlon shoe I bought... too big and too narrow for me... perfect for him

I'm trying to convince myself that I'm making progress and I'm getting organised... :p :D :rolleyes:

Hi LesBrass, good luck with checking out orthotics - sure made the world of difference to me.
(P.S. - when are you leaving?)

Linda

Just taken delivery of custom-made orthotics. I'm off to try on some new shoes tomorrow. Wish me luck! With my wide feet it's always a struggle to find anything that fits.

SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela, April-June 2014

Just taken delivery of custom-made orthotics. I'm off to try on some new shoes tomorrow. Wish me luck! With my wide feet it's always a struggle to find anything that fits.

Hi Gidivet,
As mentioned in an earlier reply - the orthotics were the ticket for me. After receiving my orthotics, they also stretched my boots, a bit on the right foot and more on the left - the one with the problem. Also experiment with not lacing the boots quite so tight, or leave the bottom lace unthreaded - see what you can do to accomodate YOUR feet.
Wishing you luck,
Linda

Thanks Linda!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.