• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vancouver bc

cammano

I will be walking the camino late June 2014 with my 16 year old son ,we were inspired by the movie the way ...we will start in st jean de pied and hope to complete in around 25 days ,and be in Santiago on the 24 th for the mass ,any fellow Canucks doing the same ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am not sure if there is camino chapter in Vancouver but there is one in Victoria.

Normally at the end of March we hold our annual camino get together here in Victoria - an event well worth attending.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will be walking the camino late June 2014 with my 16 year old son ,we were inspired by the movie the way ...we will start in st jean de pied and hope to complete in around 25 days ,and be in Santiago on the 24 th for the mass ,any fellow Canucks doing the same ?

hello cammano,

welcome to the camino forum.

i will ask you to reconsider walking from st jean to santiago in 25 days. if this is your first camino, i will urge to at least do the camino in 30 days. you maybe physically prepared, but you will not have the opportunity to enjoy the sceneries of northern spain. also i want to point out the terrain is quite challenging.

seek the advice of experienced peregrinos for your camino.

good luck. buen camino and god bless.

Any idea about flights from vancouver and trains to the start. Thanks

I flew from Vancouver - Amsterdam - Paris - Biarritz. Overnight in Biarritz. Tiring flight with all the connections and it was really worth it to have an early evening and rest in Biarritz. Morning train from Biarritz to St Jean Pied de Port via Bayonne. Arrived in St. Jean around noon, 12:30pm. Spent the afternoon and one night in St. Jean which was wonderful. It's a beautiful town. Spent the day exploring and attended a Basque choir concert in the evening in the church. I felt rested and ready to begin my walk the next day.

Spent some time online researching flights / connections / trains etc but ultimately booked everything with the assistance of a travel agent. It helped to figure it all out. She found much better prices for me too.

Both KLM/Air France offer direct flights to Paris via Amsterdam. Depending on when you buy the ticket expect to pay $1,200 - $1,400 each

But probably the best deal is with Air Transit Vancouver to Paris return.

If you score a flight that arrives early enough into Paris you can catch the mid day train to Saint Jean and be there by early evening.

Bought at the right time you should be able to get a return ticket for about $1,000 Canadian each.

Coming back from Santiago either buy a cheap one way back to Paris with a discount airline, or take your time and train back

However as had been suggested before, 25 days is too short of time to comfortable walk the distance unless you are comfortable about walking 30 km days.

I would give yourselves at least 5 weeks, which gives you some time to enjoy the time before, during and after the walk.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you for the advice ,I think I will start looking for return vancouver to Paris ,I can't be away longer than 4 weeks and we both don't really want to skip ,but we will if we find it to much of a challenge we will ,we are both really looking forward to seeing this beautiful part of the world and meeting people on the camino ........

are you running the 800 kms? 32kms/day is fairly hefty. good luck.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hope you have a great trip Cammano ! Peter from Chilliwack (BC) here; will be doing my first CdS in the second half of May'14. Have opted for the Northern route . . .
Been to Spain many times, used to live in Portugal. Never walked for this many consecutive days, have a feeling it does not compare to the kind of exercise I usually do . . . (physical and mental)
I really enjoyed watching the clip/documentary from Paulo Coelho, a well known Brazilian author (
). It gave me some further perspective on how to approach the whole experience . . . I'd be interested in hearing how your preparations are going . . . All the best !

Hope you have a great trip Cammano ! Peter from Chilliwack (BC) here; will be doing my first CdS in the second half of May'14. Have opted for the Northern route . . .
Been to Spain many times, used to live in Portugal. Never walked for this many consecutive days, have a feeling it does not compare to the kind of exercise I usually do . . . (physical and mental)
I really enjoyed watching the clip/documentary from Paulo Coelho, a well known Brazilian author (
). It gave me some further perspective on how to approach the whole experience . . . I'd be interested in hearing how your preparations are going . . . All the best !
Hi peter we have just started training now with our backpacks and the weight we will be carrying we are both marathon runners , where is your start point ?

As things stand now, Irun. My walking partner has not gotten of the fence as of yet, but soon I'll know for sure. There is a possibility I will be going solo . . .
I have pretty much have all the gear together, just waiting for the arrival of my " EX3 sleeping bag liner "; one treated to decrease the chance of bedbug bites. I've started training recently also.
Happy with my Garmont hiking shoes so far . . . As far as my pack is concerned, I decided to go with a Deuter 50L, with all my gear, excl. water/food I'm at 8,5kg . . . this is less than 10% of my body weight and quite comfortable to carry. Not quite decided on a walking stick or poles, leaning towards none for now, can always source one/some, if needed, local in Spain . . .
As marathon runners, you've got a great head start; it'll be interesting to see if different part(s) of the body will be challenged . . .

Take care for now !
Cheers, Peter

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As things stand now, Irun. My walking partner has not gotten of the fence as of yet, but soon I'll know for sure. There is a possibility I will be going solo . . .
I have pretty much have all the gear together, just waiting for the arrival of my " EX3 sleeping bag liner "; one treated to decrease the chance of bedbug bites. I've started training recently also.
Happy with my Garmont hiking shoes so far . . . As far as my pack is concerned, I decided to go with a Deuter 50L, with all my gear, excl. water/food I'm at 8,5kg . . . this is less than 10% of my body weight and quite comfortable to carry. Not quite decided on a walking stick or poles, leaning towards none for now, can always source one/some, if needed, local in Spain . . .
As marathon runners, you've got a great head start; it'll be interesting to see if different part(s) of the body will be challenged . . .

Take care for now !
Cheers, Peter
I bought a bora 90L on craigslist and my son will Carry a 65daniko , I am trying to carry no more than 15 pounds ,we have a sleeping bag liner and a light blanket , have considered buying a light weight bivi sack as we will be walking full days and won't be at the auberges after 5 pm and have heard they fill up quick as people get up 5 am and quit by 2 pm , at worse we will stay in private hotels if need be we have 4 weeks to complete by July 25 th for the mass in santigo , what flights from vancouver are you going to book ?
I grew up in England so we will fly to London first for 2 days then fly to France

Not sure yet on the flights, although it will be via Amsterdam as I want to visit my family on the way back. I did some searching on the forum tonight . . . It looks like a further flight to Biarritz is the closest and easiest way to get to Irun/Hendaye if that is your planned starting point. Some posts mentioned Ryan air, haven't gotten that far yet though.
90L is a BIG pack ! Hope you don't fill the whole thing ? It's my understanding that May/June is not supposed to be bad for missing out on beds on el Norte . . .
Good luck with the further prep !

Well We have booked today will be there june 26 th see you there starting Bright and early next morning have 29 days to finish ,
See ya there

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Cammano, that is fantastic. Congratulations to both you and your son.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back