• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which guide book?

Jane Erasmus

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ('14)
Portuguese ('17)
Ingles ('17)
Muxia/Finisterre ( 14 & '17 & '18)
Del Norte ('18)
I have John Brierley's guide book with maps and also the Pilgrim Guide to Camino Frances put out by the Confraternity of Saint James - United Kingdom. Which one do I take? I don't plan to walk the stages as suggested by Mr Brierley - if that makes any impact to the advice to be given me? Part of me also wonders if I should just leave both books at home....but don't think I am 'brave' enough to do that :)
Thanking you all in advance

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If your primary interest and motivation is simply to safely arrive in Santiago then the Brierley book or the app will be more than enough. If however you wish to go walkabout, detour off route after monasteries and churches, vineyards, interesting sights, other towns they won't help much. You will be passing by a thousand years and more of history, architecture, art, and beauty, much of it not appearing in most guidebooks, you will enter churches and cathedrals which will overwhelm you with their size, complexity, and beauty. It is possible to take it in Disneyworld style, all pretty lights and nice music or you can take along a serious guide which will see you through properly. "Santiago, the Complete Cultural Handbook" composed by David M. Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson, a husband and wife team who have walked and guided others along the Camino many times. The book is very large for a handbook but I have slugged it along three times, it is available from Amazon in Kindle format and I would most certainly and wholeheartedly recommend the work for reading before, along, and after the Camino. Why settle for a slice of bread when the whole loaf is right there.

Even if you dont stick to the (brierley) stages, the brierley guide is still handy for the maps. It may be divided into stages, but the whole route is still in it :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I hope you don't mind me jumping in your thread with this...

Can anyone recommend a Spanish language guide book (the best one?) for the Camino?

If your primary interest and motivation is simply to safely arrive in Santiago then the Brierley book or the app will be more than enough. If however you wish to go walkabout, detour off route after monasteries and churches, vineyards, interesting sights, other towns they won't help much. You will be passing by a thousand years and more of history, architecture, art, and beauty, much of it not appearing in most guidebooks, you will enter churches and cathedrals which will overwhelm you with their size, complexity, and beauty. It is possible to take it in Disneyworld style, all pretty lights and nice music or you can take along a serious guide which will see you through properly. "Santiago, the Complete Cultural Handbook" composed by David M. Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson, a husband and wife team who have walked and guided others along the Camino many times. The book is very large for a handbook but I have slugged it along three times, it is available from Amazon in Kindle format and I would most certainly and wholeheartedly recommend the work for reading before, along, and after the Camino. Why settle for a slice of bread when the whole loaf is right there.

Thank you for the suggestion Scruffy1,
I will try and find the book in Cape Town, SA. If I can't do you think I might get in at the airport book shop in Paris when I fly in?? I am after the whole loaf :)

Thank you for the suggestion Scruffy1,
I will try and find the book in Cape Town, SA. If I can't do you think I might get in at the airport book shop in Paris when I fly in?? I am after the whole loaf :)
Jane,

I doubt that you will find Santiago, the Complete Cultural Handbook in the airport shop but you can buy either the digital or paper-back version on-line from Amazon.

MM

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Jane,

I doubt that you will find Santiago, the Complete Cultural Handbook in the airport shop but you can buy either the digital or paper-back version on-line from Amazon.

MM

Thank you Margaret and Scruffy1, my concern is the postal system in South Africa leave much to be desired :-( More often than not things are nicked, or just don't arrive or take ages to actually arrive. I will be leaving Cape Town on 31 August. Just as an example - I ordered a shell and badge which Ivor put into the post to me on 12 July and have still not received it..... What I will try is going to my local book shop and seeing if they can make a plan for me.
Thanks for the information all the same :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you Margaret and Scruffy1, my concern is the postal system in South Africa leave much to be desired :-( More often than not things are nicked, or just don't arrive or take ages to actually arrive. I will be leaving Cape Town on 31 August. Just as an example - I ordered a shell and badge which Ivor put into the post to me on 12 July and have still not received it..... What I will try is going to my local book shop and seeing if they can make a plan for me.
Thanks for the information all the same :)

Jane, do you have a smartphone? If you have just download one of the electronic guides, like the WisePilgrim app. Get someone to help if you are not tech savvy. That way you don't have to worry about the post. And, as was said above, you can download the Kindle version of The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago, which we all agree is a marvellous resource.

Jane, do you have a smartphone? If you have just download one of the electronic guides, like the WisePilgrim app. Get someone to help if you are not tech savvy. That way you don't have to worry about the post. And, as was said above, you can download the Kindle version of The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago, which we all agree is a marvellous resource.
Hi Kanga,
No smartphone, ipod/pad/thingy...kindle etc... will try to get the book, otherwise take the guides I have and just go for it. Maybe people from the towns, villages, etc will guide me as to what is to be seen or experienced in each place? But, not going to write off the bookshop idea as yet...will pop in on Saturday, maybe they can make a plan for me. Thanks again

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.